Getting Veterans Records

Story Info
For veterans: how to get your US military veterans medical records.
781 words
4.47
12.6k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JagFarlane
JagFarlane
311 Followers

Recently I had to find certain parts of my medical records from the time that I was in the service and found that there was a lot of information available, but in bits and pieces. Most of the people that I spoke to knew only small parts of where to go and how to acquire the records. The fact that I kept getting sent to various offices and running into a variety of people, some who wanted to help but had no idea where to go, and many more who didn't care and left me at dead ends is what prompts me to write this. The process is different depending on the status of the veteran, if they didn't file a claim with Veterans Affairs, if they did file a claim with Veterans Affairs, and if they are deceased.

The first advice I'd have is for anyone who is still active duty and has access to your records, make sure you photocopy the records before you get out. This is especially true for anyone who plans to pursue an education as many schools and universities require a copy of your immunizations.

For anyone who did not submit disability paperwork, I would first trying going to the eBenefits website. If you're lucky they may have actually scanned your records in, if so then you can request parts of your personnel and medical files and get them in a very quick period of time. If the records aren't scanned in, well they at least e-mailed me back within a couple of hours. Don't be surprised if your records aren't there, I know people that have been waiting over a decade for access to their records online.

Otherwise, your records should be accessible through the Records Management Center of the Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis, Missouri. After the veteran passes away though, they will finally be moved to the National Personnel Records Center of the National Archives. Be advised that most of the Veterans Affairs paperwork telling you where to get your records will send you there. A couple of years ago the process changed and they are now at the Records Management Center, which is apparently in the next building over from the National Archives.

If you filed a claim with the Veterans Affairs then your records are at your regional office. Before you decide to just up and drive up there, be advised that if you go and visit them you probably will not be walking out of their office with a copy. From here there are two ways that I know of to get a copy of your medical records.

The first is to file a Freedom of Information Act request with the Veterans Affairs to get your records. I was advised that this method will take at least six months and most likely up to a year. Yes I know that the Freedom of Information Act was not designed to be used like this but that's how they do things now.

The second way, which should be much faster, is to find a veteran's advocate group, such as Disabled American Veterans or your state's veteran's advocates group. The way I found mine was to go to my local vets hospital where all of the local groups had an office. Generally the offices aren't staffed all of the time but if you call you should be able to find out who has an office there and a number for them to make an appointment. Once you have an advocate you will have to give them a limited power of attorney that will only allow them access to your records. Once they have that and have it approved then the advocates can access your files through the Veterans Affairs regional office. According to my advocate, this process can take upwards of a month to a month and a half.

Finally, if you are the next of kin looking for a veterans records after they have become deceased, then the records are being held at the National Archives National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. You can put in a request online and in approximately ninety days they will send you the requested information.

Unfortunately the process of getting records for many can be a very frustrating process, but I hope that this information will be helpful for anyone along the process. While most things I've dealt with in regards to the VA have gone smoothly, this seems to be a problem area for a number of veterans. Thank you for your service and best of luck in getting the records you need in the time that you need them.

JagFarlane
JagFarlane
311 Followers
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wow...somebody gets it

Being a VA pharmacist for 20+ years, this is an unbiased and accurate informational tutorial. This is part of the reason it takes a minimum of 6 months to adjudicate a claim for a service connected disability. The only bit that is missing is "IF" a claim is found in the vet's favor, the disability payment only goes back to the date of filing for SC status. If you don't ask, you won't get, but the process has to start somewhere and, unlike the IRS, the VA isn't going to be chasing you down.

jenellesljenelleslover 9 years ago
Dealing with Veterans records

Your best bet, is to find a well trained Veterans Service Officer. Depending on what state you are in, the availability will vary. In most states, you can get your certified DD214 recorded at the country recorder's office for quick access later.

Best piece of advice here is to obtain copies of your medical and service records before leaving. DOD started keeping electronic records after 1992.

DO NOT file a claim on your own. You can, but it's like being your own lawyer, not recommended. A good service officer will know all the weasel words and exactly what order the VA wants them. Another good avenue to pursue is your US Senator or your US Representative. They have people in their offices who deal with just veterans issues. Don't be afraid to call them either and ask for the staffer.

Whatever you do, do not ignore any letter from the VA. If you don't understand it, take it to a good service officer. In Ohio, the state pays to have at least one trained service officer in each county.

Good luck in your dealing with the bureaucracy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Dept. of Veterans Affairs

The first Director of Veteran Affairs was Gen George A. Custer. When he was walking out to door to lead the offensive against the Plains Indians he said "don't do anything till I get back. " And they have not done anything since.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
formatting request

I'd like to see you add this to the Literotica website as either an epub ebook or a pdf so that the information can be kept on a smartphone.

Sigil is a free, open source program that would let you create an epub, while the Cute PDF printer driver can be used to create pdf's.

I have and use both.

clearlakequeenclearlakequeenover 10 years ago
Thanks

Thanks Jag for your info to Veterans. Dealing with the VA Regional offices for benefits can be a nightmare. I must say I was always treated with respect and helpfulness from the front staff but completely ignored by the back staff for 3 years.

Things I learned getting rated.

1) The larger the number of disabilities claimed, the slower it will process as the processors look for the smallest files to review as they are under tremendous pressure to process as many claims as possible. Many Vets are advised to submit only one claim at a time so as to maybe get 30%, then up it to 50% on the next claim and so on. Myself, I would advise submitting all viable claims the first time with excellent documentation as each claim will be retroactive to the time you first file it. Thus, with the example above, if your first claim takes 2 years, then your second claim takes 2 years, and your final claim takes 1 year, you will have left tens of thousands of dollars on the table.

2) The VA gives out disability compensation based not on what service connected injury or disease you may have, but by how that injury or disease affects your ability to make a living and enjoy life. Thus if you claim you are due compensation for type 2 diabetes based on Agent Orange exposure, the diabetes must have affected your ability to earn a living in some way. So limit your claims only to existing disabilities that affect you making a living or conditions that negatively affect your life.

3) Carefully read on the VA website regarding conditions that qualify for compensation as the list keeps growing. As I have mainly studied Vietnam Veterans diseases that is what I will keep my facts regarding.

If your were in Vietnam, even for one day, and can prove it, VA presumes you were exposed to Agent Orange and it has been determined many diseases occur at a higher rate in those exposed to agent Orange. Each year, the list of associated diseases keeps growing so be sure and check regularly.

I have heard many negative comments that point out often, Vietnam Veterans higher risk is only 1 or 2% higher than the general population for some of the diseases, and that is true. But if you take 30 different diseases being a 2% higher risk, the chances are much higher overall that Vietnam Veterans will contract one or more of these diseases.

4) Make sure your spouse is aware of any conditions listed as service connected, as recently, Ischemic Heart Disease, which is the cause of most heart attacks, is included under Agent Orange related. If you suddenly have a heart attack and die, and the autopsy points out blockage to the heart, your spouse may qualify for CHAMPVA health insurance which is probably the best insurance available in the US.

Also, once you have been rated 100% or unemployable, your wife also qualifies for CHAMPVA, which is zero co-pay, zero deductible when using most VA facilities. If your spouse chooses to use private doctors and hospitals, the annual deductible is $50 and a 20% co-pay with a maximum $3000 out of pocket including drugs!!!

5) VA is fast tracking Agent Orange claims in some areas now and through ebenefits, and some claims are going through within 6 months. Do not hesitate to call your Congressperson, Senator or the White House if your Agent Orange claim is over 6 months old or a non-Agent Orange claim is over 2 years old.

Choose your Service officer very carefully. That is the person you can use, but not required to help you with your claim. VFW, DAV and most states offer these services. Get down to a VA facility and ask other Vets if they have applied for disability and knew a good service officer. At the Houston VA there are two very popular Service Officers. One is Mr. Wolf which is first come, first serve and if you are not in line at 5AM or earlier, you will not see him. The other is Rufus, who I never met but have heard great thing about. Both of these are in the VA hospital and not the regional office.

If you do use a non-profit such as DAV or VFW officer, immediately join the organization as some are very vocal about using them when not a member.

7) Be sure to also look at your states benefits for Veterans. Here in Texas, if you receive full benefits, you pay no state fees and no property tax form any entity, plus that benefit of property taxes now transfers to your spouse upon your death. That alone is saving us over $4000 per year.

Feel free to write me with any questions you may have.

Thanks For Your Service Fellow Vets!

Ken

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

Bumpy Ride Horny wife has fun in the back seat.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Fucking Mrs. Ava Gorgeous older woman seduces her neighbor's son.in Mature
The Laptop Surprise of My Mom Ch. 01 A son discovers that his mom has videos on her laptop.in Mature
Jimmy Makes Suzy 'His' Jimmy gives up younger women and makes sexy, mature Suzy his.in Mature
Friends & Family Ch. 01 Story of a well-hung lad growing up in the Midwest. in Mature
More Stories