Ghost Memories Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Heinz57
Heinz57
25 Followers

Nancy sat down, took a sip of coffee and quietly smoked her cigarette. As she ground out her cigarette Nancy said, "How long did it take you to adjust to the peace and quiet? It's kind of spooky."

"Oh, I've been coming here for several years now." Teri replied, "It wasn't until the first time I brought Bill down here that I learned that I had become the owner. Ted and Alice, the previous owners, allowed me to use this place for R&R. They decided to move to Arizona for its climate. They gave me this property and the finances to keep it running. The royalties from the patents pay all expenses and provide me with a substantial income."

"Are you telling me that you're rich and could live the life of leisure? Why are you still working and commuting back and forth?" Nancy asked.

Teri's answer stunned Nancy. "Maybe, yes, and I'm not ready to put my feet up and grow webs between my toes."

"Okay, mystery lady." Nancy replied tartly, "I don't understand. Please use simple explanations."

Teri chuckled then said, "I'm not rich but I am financially independent. I am the sole owner of the clinic that employs me. The apartment complex where I live is also mine. Both enterprises are run by Boards of Governors and don't know about the real owner. The attorneys my father referred me to made sure that I remained in the background but my ownership is ironclad." Taking a slow breath Teri sipped her now cool coffee and lit a fresh cigarette.

"Wow!" Nancy said after taking a sip of her own coffee. Pointing to the pack on the table she asked, "Can I steal another?"

"Be my guest." Teri replied tipping the pack towards her friend. Continuing she said, "My sixth sense is telling me that you are concerned about retirement and the financial adjustments you'll need to make."

"Until a few minutes ago I thought every woman had those concerns." Nancy replied, "Long gone are the days where savings and Social Security filled the need. What's going on in that bear trap mind of yours?"

"I need the answer to a question first." Teri said, "Are you still doing hop scotch 1099 work?"

"Yes," Nancy replied, "but what does that have to do with the plan rumbling around in your head?"

"Part of the plan is a six month experiment to find out if you can handle the climate and the peace and quiet of this town." Teri said.

"Go on," Nancy said, "you have my interest."

Teri smiled as she continued, "The work you will be doing does not require your professional skills but will tax your people skills." "Just what kind of work are you suggesting?" Nancy said, her curiosity piqued.

"Waiting on tables at Harry's." Teri replied, "Before you go ballistic hear me out. There are two populations in this town. The full time residents and the tourists. By waiting tables you can meet and get to know all the locals. That's the primary reason. The secondary reason would be sounding out whether this town would support a clinic. The tourists would hear the conversations, file the information away and tell their friends about the possibility of a clinic opening up here."

"But surely there is medical help available?" Nancy said.

"The nearest ambulance is twenty miles away. The nearest MD is over an hour away." Teri said quickly, "I know that you have expenses, needs and wants. How much do you require to live comfortably? Don't cut it to the bone. Be realistic."

Nancy sat in her chair stunned. Her mind as running in circles calculating dollar amounts. Finally getting her mouth to work she said, "Two thousand to twenty-five hundred would do nicely. I even padded the bill slightly."

Teri didn't even blink as she responded, "Okay, $2500 plus twenty percent direct to savings. Nancy are you willing to wait tables and perform industrial spying for $3000 a month for six months?" Teri held out her right hand and waited.

"Yes, I agree to those terms." Nancy said in reply and shook hands.

"Okay. I'm getting tired but need to make a couple of phone calls before I go to sleep. Why don't you choose the side of the bed you want. I'll join you when I'm done."

"Teri, aren't you the least bit concerned about Bill and his absence?" Nancy asked.

"Of course I am." Teri replied, "I get no sense of trouble. He is not close by so he must be doing something 'sneaky'."

Nancy blurted out, "Teri, I don't know where it came from but I get the same impression."

"Well, sleep on it and we'll figure it out in the day of light." Teri said with a straight face. Going to the kitchen Teri picked up her cell phone, walked into the pool area making sure she shut the door behind her.

The first call Teri made was to Marie. Marie picked up on the third ring. "Hello Teri." she said in a sleepy voice.

"Plan B goes into effect on Monday morning." Teri said and waited. Hearing the sudden intake of breath on the other end of the connection Teri knew she had Marie's complete attention.

"How long do I have and does Plan C become active?" Marie asked.

"Six months and there is a remote possibility that Plan C will have to be invoked." Teri responded, "How is your replacement coming along?"

"She is timid as they all are at first. I let her do all the work now. Answering questions and making suggestions consume most of my day along with discrete reviews of the files." Marie said, "I also have two promising candidates to fill your position. It is going to take both of them to keep up with your patient load."

Teri was chuckling as she replied, "Only two, I must be slipping in my old age. Oh, before I forget start a search for a third year student in their early to mid forties. A twenty something won't do for this town."

"When can I come visit? I want to see this utopia you found." Marie jokingly asked.

"This isn't Payton Place or Shangri La. The locals are real nice once they get to know you. Take a half day Friday and spend the weekend. Do you want directions or GPS coordinates?" Teri said, "And Marie I wouldn't invite you unless I meant it."

There was complete silence on Marie's end. Finally Marie answered, "Thank you for understanding and I prefer GPS coordinates."

"Okay, GPS it is." Replied Teri, "See you on Friday, Good night."

Marie said good night and terminated the call.

Teri flashed for a dial tone and dialed her father. It was answered on third ring.

"Hi Teri," Harry said, "It must be relatively important to call after business hours."

"Dad, if I said Plan B," Teri replied, "could Andy come to the phone?"

"Daughter of mine," came the terse response, "don't be playing a game."

"I'm not playing a game." Teri said, "The right person showed up, had a reality check and has committed to a six month acclimation and familiarization contract." Teri knew her father well enough to hold the phone away from her ear.

"Andy, dry your hands," Harry bellowed, "Teri is about to drop a bomb on us." Moments later Harry said, "Andy is here and we're on speaker.

"Hi Teri," said Andy, "Your Da is sitting here with a big grin on his face. Care to repeat what you told him?"

"What I told Harry was that Plan B can take the next step." Teri said, "I have a hand shake contract with the right person. The contract is for six months of acclimation and familiarization. She agreed to wait tables, get to know the locals and find out how they feel about the possibility of having a clinic in town."

"What if the acclimation fails?" Andy asked, "Once we start we are committed."

"If acclimation fails," Teri said, "I will invoke Plan C for my services. Nancy would take my place in the city and I will be the principal provider for the new clinic in town."

Harry spoke up saying, "You sound as though Nancy has the right stuff."

"Both of you know that Bill and I have bonded in a special way." Teri replied, "Today, I admitted to myself and Nancy that a special bond exists between us."

"You are truly blessed, daughter of mine," Harry said, "Just as I am. Your mother understood and accepted without reservation the special bond I have with Andy. Does Bill know what you have just shared with us?"

"Bill, like mother, understands and accepts without reservation the special bond I have with Nancy." Teri said, "He doesn't know anything about Plan B."

"Where is Bill," Andy asked, "that he can't be included in our discussions?"

"I don't know where Bill is Andy." Teri replied, "I can sense that he isn't in trouble and is a good distance from here. I believe he is off doing something sneaky'."

"Okay, we will let Bill be 'sneaky'. What can Andy and I do to help solve the dilemma that I sense coming from you Teri?"

"Several things Dad and Andy," Teri began, "Nancy agreed to $3000 a month for six months to wait tables and perform industrial spying. $500 of that is to go direct to savings. I would like the two of you to sweeten the pot by providing room and board."

"No problem there," Andy replied, "we have several one bedroom apartments, fully furnished that are currently not rented. Next issue."

"Nancy will need help in moving out and storing her HHG's." Teri added quickly, "I believe that she will have to break her lease. Because I am mixing love and business I feel the need to exercise extreme caution. Will the two of you meet Nancy and vet her for me?"

"Very sensible precaution," Harry said, "0730 tomorrow soon enough? If Andy and I vet Nancy we can take care of the moving and room and board issues. I still get the sense of turmoil. Come clean, daughter of mine, you won't sleep well until you do."

"If Nancy is vetted," Teri said timidly, "I want the same deed stipulation that I have. It needs to be ironclad. Will you suggest to Bill that he might want to invest in Plan B to avoid the tax bite on the money he recently received?"

"First of all Teri, there will no tax bite. I had a talk with the head legal counsel for the IRS. Because of the status Bill received the counsel ran a check of his records and found that the money received is tax free." Harry said with certain smugness. "Secondly, why not suggest the investment yourself?"

"If I suggest it I would be meddling in his affairs." Teri fired back, "With the two of you it will be strictly business."

Harry said, "Fair enough, we'll talk the first time he comes in for coffee."

"0730 hours tomorrow then." Teri replied, "Oh, before I hang up thank you for the brief glimpse of your private, personal lives. Good night."

"Good night." Harry and Andy said in unison, "We love you." The connection was broken.

Closing the connection on her end Teri stood up slowly, walked into the house and completed the steps to shut down the sunroom for the night. When she found herself sitting at table Teri shook with fatigue. Lighting a cigarette Teri was surprised as tears filled her eyes.

Heinz57
Heinz57
25 Followers
12