Ghosts: CATU Book 01 Ch. 03

Story Info
What happens when the Presidents daughter is kidnapped?
4.4k words
15k
3
0

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 09/12/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

FBI Infirmary

Receiving only a few cuts and bruises, Spencer and Samantha were admitted to the infirmary as a precaution. He was sitting in a chair next to the bed. He looked better than she felt at the moment.

"How are you feeling?" asks Spencer.

Like shit.

Her head was pounding and her throat ached. Sam couldn't remember much considering she was knocked out for most of the event that transpired. But what she remembered, she couldn't begin to grasp.

"How long have you been sitting there?" she replies.

"For a few hours," Spencer answers. "You took a pretty good knock to the head."

"Concussion?" she asks.

"No, thankfully not, just some bruising to your skull. Look Sam what happened back there—"

"I don't quite understand myself, Spence." Shifting in her bed until she was able to sit up, she continued. "It was the strangest thing I've ever experienced in my life. You were calm the whole time, like you knew what was going on. I'm too good an agent to not recognize that and I understand you'll tell me when you're ready."

"Thanks Sam." It was all he thought to say.

Maybe she won't think I'm too crazy.

"It's a bit to take in but—"

"Well, look who's finally awake!" Roger's voice boomed.

"Happy to see me? I wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon," she says.

Roger's expression changed slightly to grief before his smile returned. If he'd lost her out there, he'd stop at nothing to big, those responsible to justice. Feeling like a big brother, he felt the need to protect her and keep her safe. When promoted to Director of CATU he almost didn't take the position. Doing so he thought at the time would leave Sam alone and vulnerable. Still reluctant he took the job. He spent a good chunk of time looking for a suitable partner for her. That's when he found Spencer. Top of his class and a remarkable agent, he was perfect. Seeing Sam here in one piece only confirmed it.

"Looks like I made the right choice in Spencer," he says nodding to Spencer.

"Looks that way sir," she says.

Expression changing he says, "As a formality I have to ask you guys. What the hell happened in there?"

For the past few hours Spencer had been trying to come up with a story and put together a half way decent one. He was about to speak when Samantha interrupted him.

"Well sir," she starts. "We had just found a place to park when Spence noticed a man with a missile launcher. I only saw the missile coming at us when Spence was pushing me out of the car. I saw him draw his gun and fire at the man, and then I guess I passed out. After that I don't remember anything else, except waking up here."

She hated to lie to her boss and friend, but she knew deep down Spencer had a secret. One he couldn't share with just anybody. At least this explanation should help him with whatever story he'd come up with. Only problem they had been was a body and a missile launcher and they had neither one.

Picking up as if he was telling the story, Spencer continued, "I pulled my gun as the assailant started firing upon me. I fired back taking him down. The whole place was coming down, so I picked up Sam and ran toward the closet exit I could find."

Now about that body and weapons.

Like reading his thoughts Roger says, "Glad to see you guys didn't get blown up. All we have to go on is both your accounts. The parking structure is completing gone. I don't mean disappeared or anything, just a big pile of ash. People on the scene claimed a big light flashed and the next thing they know it's nothing but ash where the building was."

Looks like God has my back once again.

If he didn't believe there stories and had any other thoughts about it, he didn't show it.

"Well, if you two are up to it, I can feel you in on the current situation," Roger continued. "It's worse than we initially expected. They somehow tapped in both radio and television signals, everyone in America saw or heard Ghost's announcement. At this point any threats they make seem likely to be followed through. Their smart bastards, I'll give them that. They know how to keep us from tracing them and we have no idea of where they could be. This attack on you two could be a blatant one, though neither they nor any other group has taken responsibility yet."

"We'll find these bastards, Roger," says Spencer with a burning fierceness in his voice.

"I'm sure you will and I hope it's in time."

"What has the President said about any of this?" asks Sam.

"Nothing yet, though he is going to address the nation at five this evening. Before long it seems we'll be out of a job or no longer a secret," Roger replies.

"I vote for keeping my job," Sam says.

Before long my secret may even be out.

"In the mean time I want you two to talk to your regulars. If these guys are here they need weapons and supplies. We've had reports from television and radio people telling us their systems had been hacked into. Tech has said they could do a hack online, but for their outcome they wanted local control. So combining the pieces of information—"

"They are here in or around the city," Spencer finished Roger's sentence.

"Is there a chance they can do this again?" asks Sam.

"We don't know, tech says it's a possibility, that's why you two are going to find out. I also want you guys to have a little more back up. Take Adams with you, better field experience for him and extra gun for you. I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better. A lot worse."

——

As the limo pulled up before the bank, the sniper knew it was time. It was late and he wanted to get done in time to see what the President had to say.

Any minute now he'll be walking through the door.

His gun, a .50 Caliber with a muzzle flash suppressor and a range up to a mile. He didn't quite need the full mile, only half of it. In and out with no sign of where he was, simple.

He set the gun over the edge of the roof and dialed in the scope. As soon as he walks out of the door. Now it was time to wait.

——

Mr. Kloser, sir, your limo is here," Mack says in a deep baritone voice.

"Excellent," Kloser says. "Any news today?"

"Actually yes sir, there was. The FBI Were attacked today and seems they were able to foil any attempt the attacker made."

"Do they have any idea who made the attack?" Kloser asks.

"No sir, apparently there isn't much of anything left. At the moment they have no ideas or leads."

"Interesting," he says thinking. "Is Mr. Johnson still here?"

"Yes sir."

"Good, tell him I'm leaving and it's up to him to close the bank this evening."

"Yes sir."

——

Still as a rock he was trained to be the best, he could stay like this for almost an infinite time. This, like any of his other jobs was going to be a cinch. His escape was flawless and the kill even easier.

Good the door is opening.

Depressing the safety, his finger slipped to the trigger. He took in a deep breath to steady himself. Clearing his mind of any thought, he waited.

Kloser grabbed the brief case and papers and headed for the door.

It was going to be interesting what the President has to say this evening.

——

There he is, perfect.

He squeezes the trigger. With barely a sound on his end the bullet flies with high velocity toward its target.

Time to go.

Not even bothering to see if it hit, knowing it would, he got up the make his exit.

——

Kloser is knocked slightly back unexpectedly with Mack suddenly standing in front of him. Just as unexpectedly Mack is hit squarely in the chest and thrown on top of him.

"Umph," says Mack. "Get him in the car."

Another bodyguard grabs Kloser and gets him into the car. Mack picks himself up and jumps in the car as it pulls away from the curb.

"Good thing for bullet proof vests," says Mack. "Anyone see where that came from?"

No one answered; they were all too distracted in the first place.

——

Making his way over the two buildings, the sniper heads for the stairs. From there, down two floors, then the fire escape. He runs across to another building and finally down those stairs to the street.

Flawless.

He didn't get very far. He reached the door to the stairs and when he opened it he could only think of one thing to say, "Oh shit."

A figure, which he couldn't begin to describe grabbed and lifted him by the throat. Tall and almost shadowy, it stood nearly seven feet tall. He took on no other recognizable features other than a human-like form. It was like nothing he had ever seen before.

"Who the hell are you," the sniper chocked out.

Who I am is no concern to you, human.

Human?

"Just what the fuck are you then?"

Curious, for a man in your position right now.

"Call it human nature."

The demon laughs and feels a little curious.

Yes, human nature. Curious, are you not afraid? Maybe worried even that you may die?

"Oh, I'm scarred shitless, but I've seen worse than you, a lot worse. So if you're gonna kill me, get it over with cause I'm tired of waiting."

I like you Vincent Mathsen. I could use a man like you.

The demon knowing his name surprised him. Other than the government, nobody knew his name. He had no family, his parents dead in a bridge collapse many years ago and his wife died before they had children. He was simply known as Crosshairs, a title that fit his occupation. Not even the government had put two and two together on both his name and alias.

How the fuck does he know my name?

I know a great deal about you. And yes I can read your mind, though for a human it is a little tough. In your state it makes it a bit easier to do.

"That's nice, so you gonna kill me or talk me to death, I really ain't got all day."

Laughing again, the demon was amused by this human.

Defiant till the end. Bravery I haven't seen by many in a long time. Yes, I can definitely use you.

The demon let go of Mathsen's throat, letting him fall to the ground. Mathsen rubbed his throat unsure what was going to come next. Was this demon going to let him live? To what price though?

Regaining his composure once more, he says, "So like I asked before, who are you?"

I'll let you have your moment of insolence. My name is Delgrious and I am far greater than your feeble mind can begin to understand. Since I cannot do certain things I need to enlist the help of you filthy humans from time to time.

"So what do you want from me?"

I'll give you a chance to live and redeem yourself, after that if you are successful then I'll use you further. Fail me and I will kill you.

"Redeem myself? What are you a messenger of God?"

Far from that you pathetic human. The demon laughed. Always throwing Him into the mix, acting like He is something special. No you fool I am quite the opposite. To redeem yourself from trying to kill the person you were hired to kill just now.

Mathsen now the one laughing says, "So you aren't really as strong as you present yourself to be."

Without seeing it, Delgrious back fists him. Mathsen flies through the air and into an air conditioner, crushing the entire side of it. Before being able to fully gather himself, the demon was right in front of him lifting him up off the ground by the throat again.

I am tired of your insolence now. This is your last chance. Serve me or I will kill you here and now.

Ok, he's a little pissed.

"What is it you want and what incentive do I get?"

With a smile that neither Mathsen nor any other human could see the demon replies. You get to kill people for me, not just ordinary people, government people. Yes, that's what you really want. Furthermore, if you don't fail me, I'll give you the opportunity to kill those responsible for your fall.

"And if I don't take your offer?" he asks knowing full well what the demon would say.

I think you already know that answer. Do you have an accord?

"Yes. How do I contact you?"

The person you just tried to kill will be your contact. He will give you my orders, you will report back to him when your task is complete. If you pass the first test then you'll get more. If you fail your death will not be a pleasant one.

Great, having to deal with someone you just tried to kill. So much for an easy job.

Good bye Vincent Mathsen, next time we meet, pray we meet on good terms.

The demon releases him and he falls to the ground once more in a crumple. When he looks up the demon has already vanished.

What am I into now? Maybe death was the better way out.

Pushing his thoughts aside, he only hopes his exit was still flawless. Looking at his watch confused him even more.

"What the hell?" he says out loud.

Time hadn't moved, as if everything had froze around them only to begin again now.

Death probably was the better choice.

——

We've just got a report of an assassination attempt," Donna says bursting into the office.

Spencer and Sam are sitting reviewing collected evidence waiting for the file on Ghost. Spencer looks at the clock. Fifteen minutes until the Address of the Nation.

"The President?" he asks dreadfully, hoping not.

"Thank God no!" Donna says appallingly. "This was on a banker, a Mr. Gerard Kloser."

"Doesn't ring any bells," Spencer says.

"I know who he is," pipes in Samantha.

Both Spencer and Donna turn to her with questionable looks.

"What?" she asks. "I follow the market and he owns a bank that I invest in."

Looking at Donna Spencer says, "Thanks Donna, can you speed the process of getting that file for us please."

"Sure thing sir," she says leaving the office.

Turning his attention back to Sam he asks, "So what makes this guy so special?"

Sam looks at Spencer with a look of unbelief. Spencer picks up on it when she didn't answer his question.

"What?" he asks.

"Why did you just dismiss Donna like that?" she asks.

"With the leak in this office and the events that have been happening, I'm not trusting a lot of people right now. I'm really only trusting me, you and Roger at the moment."

Almost apologizing she says, "I see your point. This whole string of events is taking its toll."

"Do you need to take the rest of the day off?" he asks knowing that like him she wouldn't take him up on the offer.

"No, I'll be fine. C'mon we got to get to the viewing room, the President is about to come on."

——

The room with the podium is filled with reporters from every television and newspaper agency in the D.C. area as well as the surrounding areas. This was an opportunity for reporters and travel didn't seem to be a problem. It was down to the last minute before the President was supposed to come out, the reporters like the rest of the nation anticipated what the President was going to say. Polls from the nation showed the majority believed he was going to give in to the terrorist demands despite his strong stand against terrorist activities. Of the minor, only a hand few were undecided.

A hush comes over the crowd when an aide walked out and announced, "President Dave McKinsey."

There are no claps or cheers. This was not a time to have any of that. The President walks out to the podium and looks out over the entire crowd that gathered. He looks sullen and he hasn't slept in days. If anybody thought lack of sleep clouded his judgment then they would have physical evidence to back them up. No, instead nothing was affecting his judgment, he had an obligation to the people and he was going to fulfill that obligation.

I have sat in long debate with my cabinet and in private with my own thoughts. These terrorist activities have not only affected me but the entire nation as well. The kidnapping of a child whether it is mine or any citizen of this country affects us all. What makes it more hideous is when some group of terrorists decides to do the kidnapping?

These terrorists believe they can come into our homes and take our children. They think they can make threats to do so. They are wrong. As I have stood against all terrorists, as America has stood against all threats, we will prevail. I make this commitment to put an end to this group and fight them, not as a father, but as your President.

As a father this has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I was reluctant and as many of you were probably expecting different. I signed up to make a difference and keep this country protected. I cannot do this by cowering in the face of fear. I do not want this for my child any more than I want it for your children. If I as the President don't make a stand, then these terrorists will strike again and again.

They will think America is weak and scared of fear. That they can cast a shadow over us and we will cower from the darkness. That is where they are wrong. We the people will be that shinning ray of light that stabs deep into the heart of the darkness. We won't stand around worried what will happen to us or our children. We won't wait for something like this to happen again. And we definitely will not hand over our country to this terrorist scum that thinks we owe them something.

I will give you this promise: America will not lie down and let anyone dictate how things are done. I will not give up protecting this country. They think the taking on my daughter will make me or anyone in this country do as they demand is preposterous. There are deathly and truly wrong.

We cannot give up hope in this hour of darkness. We certainly cannot give up in the face of threats. We will prevail and we will fight back. I will be the point and you the American people will be the edge of the sword that drives all our hope and strength into the heart of the darkness. We will be the pinnacle of freedom everywhere and we will bring all terrorists to their knees with fear.

Fear from retribution that will be brought down upon them for their actions. Their actions will not be tolerated as they never have been.

I hope the terrorists are listening, because we will bring you to justice. You will pay for your crimes. The American people will not back down to your idle threats.

This is America's moment to shine and we will come out victorious.

He smiles at the audience, then turns and leaves. In the wake of his speech the crowd of reporters start to shout questions. Many shout praise and cheers.

——

A large group of the CATU unit sit or stand watching the speech the President just gave to the nation on televisions. Only a handful of people sit in the viewing room.

"That puts a heavier burden on our shoulders," says Spencer.

"Then that gives you all the more reason to find these bastards," says Roger. "You heard the man, he's not backing down nor shall we. Now get back to work, dig up leads, I don't care what it takes. A young girl's life is in danger and I don't want hers or any other child's death to happen."

The crowd gives there assurances to Roger, then file out of the room.

12