Gloves

Story Info
The man wore rubber gloves.
950 words
3.09
10.5k
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ledier
ledier
42 Followers

The man wore rubber gloves. I could see him dispose of them out of the corner of my eye. He took a few glances left and right and walked off. I felt like walking off too. I had been waiting for almost an hour now, it was bitterly cold and windy, just to top things off. The sun was still on the other side of the world, warming their hearts and completely neglecting ours. Still, I had to wait. She'd said it was important and I'd never heard her say that before. "Wait for me on the bridge" she had said, "I might be late." She was.

The remanence of autumn still hung in the air and drifted along the ground. Old orange leaves flew past as the wind blew. The over-night dampness clung to the ground where leaves were flattened by cars and shoes. I could see a leaf sticking out from the bottom of my shoe, I stepped on it with my other foot and moved my leg, but the leaf got stuck to the other shoe. Grating my shoe against the cold moist concrete of the bridge pulverised the leaf. I took a deep breath. The air seemed thick, wet and cold. Winter was here to stay.

Idle thoughts occupied my mind while I waited. A young couple walked past, the girl looked sleepy and stumbled a couple of times as they walked past silently. "What could be so important? And why did she know she was going to be late?" I pondered. Maybe she wasn't coming. I turned around and looked at the riverside shops, the whole town seemed dead. I knew where everyone was though, same place I wished I was, in bed recharging for another day. Fog clung to the street lights making them blurry, the light illuminated the thick fog which spread all the way across the water under the bridge to the other side. I blew onto my hands and rubbed them together. Now would have been the ideal time to wear gloves, but I didn't have any.

I could hear loud footsteps, women's shoes. That's got to be her. Turning around, I was greeted by a serious face. She was my height, dressed in jeans and a black jacket. It looked like a man's jacket. Her hair was messy and she looked like she hadn't slept for a couple of days.

"Sorry I'm late" she said distractedly.

"That's okay" I lied. "What's this all about Jane?"

"I'll tell you in a second."

She wrapped her arm through mine and began walking in the opposite direction to which she came. She seemed so serious and I began to worry. What could it be? She led me to where I had seen the fog, it was even thicker down here. The fog over the water made it look like a swampy lagoon. We sat at the abandoned seats and tables outside a small café. They were wet with condensation. She slumped down into the seat, flung her head back and stared at the slowly disappearing stars. She looked exhausted. I watched her as she exhaled, sat up straight and brought her eyes back down to look at mine.

"I caught him with another woman" She said calmly. "I told him to leave the house."

"Your fiance?"

"Yes"

"But it's his house, isn't it?" I asked, not knowing what else to say.

"That's the problem. He got angry and told me to leave instead."

I was shocked. To me, they had the perfect relationship. They always seemed so happy together. I was jealous of their relationship. Probably because I had always had a slight crush on Jane. But nevertheless, I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. He had proposed to Jane less than two weeks ago. She was over the moon that he had, especially after two years of being together. I had known Jane for what seemed like an eternity. We went to high school together and she was always the most animated and bubbly girl around. But not now, now she seemed surprisingly nonchalant. Maybe she had already cried enough over the situation, or maybe she was going to and it hadn't sunk in yet.

"I'm sorry." I said, trying to be supportive "How are you holding up?"

"I'm sure I'll find somebody else." She said, looking off into the distance and back at me. "I have to go and get all my stuff from his house when he's at work tomorrow. Do you think you could help me?"

"Of course, definitely I will." I said, happy to be able to help her.

"Thanks" She said, with a slight smile.

"So, what are you going to do now?" I asked, hesitantly.

"I.." she paused, looking at me.

It clicked, she called me because she wanted to stay with me after this, at my house; and even if that's not what she meant, I was still going to offer.

"Oh, you can stay at my house if you'd like."

"Thanks." She said again, with the same smile, a heart melting smile, packed with the whole spectrum of human emotion.

A single tear ran down her cheek, she dabbed at it with her sleeve. She looked back up at the stars. Moments later she sniffed, wiped her eyes and sighed.

"Let's go" She said.

We both rose. I went over to her, embraced her and told her softly that it'll be okay, and that I'd be there for her. She kissed me on the cheek and we walked back together, her arm through mine.

The fog was disappearing now, and the sun was reappearing, warming our hearts and neglecting the others.

ledier
ledier
42 Followers