Going Down Ch. 03

Story Info
Grace faces unexpected consequences at work.
3.7k words
4.78
24.3k
3

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/16/2022
Created 08/01/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Thank You so much to everyone who has taken the time to send feedback and/or leave comments. It means so much. Thank you also for your patience in waiting for this chapter. I hope it is to your liking. As always, the disclaimer is listed below.

This is a romantic story with erotic themes, story being the key word here. If you aren't looking for something with a deeper theme, you would be better off reading elsewhere. If you like a good tale then read on. Please send feedback good or bad! It is always appreciated. Thanks and enjoy!

*

Saturday afternoon found me sitting in the balcony of an old Chinese Theater downtown. Cale had talked me into a classic Kung-Fu film festival.

Normally I would be at home catching up on errands I hadn't had time to deal with during the week.

Alone.

I snuggled in closer to Cale.

"Oh, so you thought you could defeat me."

I giggled at his deliberately horrid accent.

"You didn't know I was a master of the palm of five snakes."

As bad as his pseudo-commentary was, it was better than the subtitles flashing up on the screen.

"You have no honor and your Mother wears combat boots."

I snorted.

"That's so old Cale. You're showing your age."

He reached over and tangled his hand into my hair, rubbing his thumb over the back of my neck. He leaned in and whispered into my ear, his breath warm against my skin.

"You weren't complaining about my age last night."

He grinned, the movement slow and lazy.

I shivered at the memory he evoked.

Sticking my tongue out at him, I reached over for a handful of popcorn.

He raised an eyebrow.

"You dare disrespect me? Beware, the consequences could be grave."

He was still using his Kung-Fu dub-over voice. I put on a mock serious face.

"Oh?"

He nodded solemnly.

I grinned.

"You think you could make me pay?"

That glint came into his eyes.

"Oh, I know I could."

I shivered. Damn. I found myself looking forward to the penance he would determine for my so-called lack of respect.

I winked at him.

"I think I could handle myself."

He arched a brow, and just like that, the game was on.

I reached back over into the bucket of popcorn, which was resting between his knees. I ate the buttery kernels slowly, and then proceeded to lick the butter off of my fingers, moaning softly as I did.

I thought he would choke.

I smiled sweetly and picked up the drink we were sharing. Locking my eyes on his, I slid the straw into my mouth and sucked the drink up, pausing once or twice to lick my lips.

This time he did choke.

I gave him a smug smile.

The glare he responded with promised all sorts of delicious retribution.

The rest of the afternoon was spent teasing each other mercilessly. An 'accidental' brush here, a grope there; innuendo so heavy it could anchor a ship. By early evening, we were both as tightly wound as the night before.

Foreplay should come with a warning label. Caution: Do not attempt to operate machinery while in a state of abject arousal. My eyes felt heavy. OK, so other parts felt heavy too. My body had become this pulsing, throbbing mass.

I felt like a horny teenager around him, only sex had never been this intense back then. It was like I had grown into my sexuality over the years and my body was showing its whole hearted support and appreciation.

I turned to look at him while he drove. His eyes were still on the road so I took a moment to drink him in under the faint light of the dashboard and the occasional streetlight that brightened and then dimmed the cab of the truck.

He was so very beautiful. I longed to trace every line of his face with my fingers, memorizing each plane. A lock of hair had fallen down over his forehead making him look boyish. I couldn't resist the urge to reach up and brush it out of the way.

He smiled and leaned over to plant a soft kiss on my lips. I pulled back and looked around, realizing we were in a parking garage. In my fixation on him I hadn't realized that we had reached our destination.

"Where are we?"

I didn't recognize the place. Of course, one parking garage is pretty much like another.

"I thought we'd try my place tonight."

I licked my lips.

"What about my clothes?"

Those dark eyes held me immobile.

"You won't be needing them."

His voice was husky, and caused warmth to spread low in my belly.

"Mmmm. So I get to see the bachelor pad?"

He chuckled.

"I don't know about bachelor pad. There's no revolving bed or anything."

I laughed.

"That's a real shame."

His eyes crinkled at the edges.

"I think we'll manage."

He climbed out of the truck and came around to help me down; another old-fashioned gesture. He placed his hands at my waist and lifted me down. As my body slid along his I decided that there were definite benefits to an old-fashioned kind of guy.

I felt my skin warm and my breathing become shallower.

"Mmmm. A girl could get used to this."

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in closer. I rested my cheek against his chest and listened to his heart pounding within. I sighed and pulled out of his arms. I grabbed his hand and looked up at him.

"If there is any such thing as a perfect day, then this was it."

He brought his hand up to my cheek and brushed a thumb over my lower lip. His eyes were like were like the night sky, dark and intense.

"The day isn't over yet."

I turned my head and placed a light kiss on the palm of his hand. I was wrapped in warmth at the promise in his words.

He leaned down and brushed a soft kiss over my lips. Somehow it was much sexier than the heated and frenzied moments of last night. He was still a man completely aware of his charms. I wondered how he could maintain his control when all he had to do was touch me and I was lost.

He took my hand and led me inside.

I awoke during the night to the feeling of Cale's arm wrapped around me. His hand was making lazy trails across my stomach. I sighed and nestled back into his arms. I was exhausted and more contented than I ever remembered being.

Why hadn't any of my past relationships been like this? The question snuck quietly into my head.

The answer was simple, and it hit me like a blow from a heavyweight boxer. I sobered from my lust induced intoxication instantly.

They weren't Cale.

I was awestruck by how the events of the last twenty-four hours had managed to change my life. Already, the idea of going back to my solitary existence seemed positively alien to me. I couldn't clearly remember what it had been like without Cale in it and I wasn't sure I wanted to.

It was like everything before yesterday was a fading dream and this was reality.

It scared the shit out of me.

Hello? Remember the runaway train? Well it was still flying out of control, and I was terrified that any time now it would crash, and all that would be left of me was a broken mass of flesh.

I didn't want to think at all. I just wanted to live this waking fantasy and forget about the consequences; forget that there would be an aftermath I had to survive.

Cale tightened his hold on me. It was a soothing gesture, as if he knew I was troubled and in need of the comfort.

He nestled closer and placed a soft kiss on my shoulder. I felt another one of those blows to the gut.

I realized that it would be worth it. I would willingly put myself through a train wreck if it meant I could have this man, even for a little while.

Well hell. So this is what it was like. I had friends who had gotten married and settled down with the whole white picket fence in the burbs and I had never understood the attraction. I saw it clearly now.

Cale was right. The consequences were grave indeed, but for much more than the banter we were throwing back and forth earlier. The bitch of it was he had no idea of the magnitude, the scope, of the thoughts and emotions running through my head. I should have taken solace in the fact that he wasn't going to suffer like I inevitably would, but somehow it didn't comfort me.

The morning brought pleasant smells again, and I dragged myself into the kitchen searching for the source of the tantalizing scents. Cale was just finishing the last of a stack of pancakes. Was this guy for real?

"So, have you always been the domestic type?"

He didn't even turn around.

"My Mother insisted I be able to take care of the basics. The rest I picked up because it relaxes me."

He didn't see me shudder. I thought cooking was a revised form of medieval torture.

He carried a platter over to the kitchen table and turned to me.

"Coming? I happen to know from a reliable source that you've worked up an appetite."

I grinned and joined him at the table.

As we sipped our coffee, I found myself staring off into space, my thoughts from the night before creeping back in to haunt me.

"Why so serious?"

His voice pulled me out of my reverie, and I managed a smile.

"Sorry, just lost in thought."

His gaze searched mine.

"Not happy ones from what it looked like."

I looked at him, really looked at him, this man I was falling so fast for. I reached up and rested my palm against his cheek. This time the smile was genuine.

"Just chasing away the nightmares."

I shook my head.

"I don't know if you had anything in mind for today, but I really need to get caught up on some things at home. Because, in case you hadn't noticed, someone's kept me occupied all weekend."

Cale grinned, not looking the least bit penitent.

"Besides, I have this meeting in the morning with an important client."

Cale forced his face into a solemn expression.

"I hope this client isn't too important. I'd hate for him to steal away my talent."

I laughed.

"In fact, he's very important. So important that I think a great deal of my time is going to be put into this development he's planning."

He drew his brows together.

"Hmmm. I'll just have to see what strings I can pull to get another architect assigned to his project. I don't like sharing."

I was giggling uncontrollably now. Cale had a knack for making me laugh. It was something that had always been high on my list of ideal qualities in a man.

"You have a beautiful laugh Grace."

Yep, I was definitely in over my head. I just hoped I could learn to swim before it was too late.

I got into the office early on Monday morning. I wanted to make sure I had everything together for the meeting with Cale and Brent. OK, so I knew Cale would love whatever I did, but I was a professional. I couldn't do anything less than my best.

After some of our conversations over the weekend, I had a fairly good idea of what Cale was looking for with regards to the project, and some ideas were already starting to solidify. I wanted to sketch a few things out, see how they translated to paper.

I was working at my drafting table when Brenton barged into my office and closed the door. Great, so the standoff was going to happen now. I had at least hoped for a brief respite before we had to do this. I rested my arm on the table and swiveled to look at him. I didn't bother standing.

"Just what the hell was with you on Friday?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"Good morning to you too, Brent."

He did not look amused. Too bad.

"Brent I really don't know what you mean but, whatever your issue with Friday is, I suggest you table it. We have another meeting in less than thirty minutes. I was just finishing up some sketches I would like to show Cale. I'll see you in the conference room in a few minutes."

I turned back around and kept working on the drawing.

"Cale, now is it? What happened to C.E or Mr. Grant? Hmmff. I bet you got awfully chummy with him Friday night after I left. Is this how you think you're going to get ahead?"

I didn't give him the benefit of a reaction, and I could tell it ate him up. I still didn't look up at him although I was gripping the technical pen in my hand so hard my knuckles were white.

"You bitches are all the same. Can't work your way up like the rest of us; have to whore your way there. You might think sleeping with clients is a way to get promoted, but as long as I'm here, you aren't going anywhere."

Just as I opened my mouth to respond, I heard a voice from behind him.

"Well, Miss O'Brien, it appears you'll still have a shot at promotion, because as of this moment, Mr. Capshaw is no longer working here."

My mouth, which was still open from the thwarted defense, snapped shut. Everett Hayes, the senior partner of the firm was standing in the doorway, beside Cale.

Brent's already pasty face paled further. I could sympathize with the shock he must be feeling. Not to say he didn't deserve it, but I could sympathize.

Cale's face was thunderous. I was afraid for a moment that he would go past Alpha, straight to cave man, and knock Brent across the room. I found a little part of me wishing that he would. Hell, half of me wanted to do it myself.

I blinked and the whole situation was moving in slow motion. I watched as all of the emotions played over Brent's face. Disbelief, shock and anger. Throughout them all he glared at me with raw hatred. I realized that I was still grasping the technical pen, and sitting at my drafting table, that it had only been a few minutes. As rage finally settled over him, everything suddenly fell back into real time.

He started walking towards me, fury radiating from him. I held my breath, unsure what to expect, but too surprised to really be afraid. He grabbed my arm and raised his fist. I cringed and closed my eyes, waiting for the blow to land. It never came, and I felt him let go of my arm.

I pried my eyes open and found him pinned to the wall by Cale.

"If I ever see you within three feet of Grace again, I'll finish what you just started."

The menace in his tone left no doubt about how he would finish things. Brent's eyes went wide. He didn't try to get away from Cale or fight him. Even the weak have survival instincts.

A few minutes after it all started, he was being escorted from the building by security. Mr. Hayes was very apologetic over Brent's deplorable behavior. He reassured me over and over that he did not tolerate that type of abuse in the firm.

After he was convinced that I would be alright, he left me in my office with Cale. As soon as the door closed, Cale came over and crushed me to him in a great bear hug.

The shock was wearing off and I could feel myself starting to shake.

"It's OK baby. He's gone."

He was stroking his hand over my hair and murmuring over and over in a soft, soothing voice. I wasn't sure who he was trying to convince more, me or himself.

I burrowed in closer to him. It had been a surreal experience. I just needed to take a few minutes to absorb things, and I felt safe with Cale's arms around me.

Eventually I drew back. I tried to lighten things up a little.

"Well, that's more of the pastries in the conference room for us."

He didn't even crack a smile. I grabbed his hand.

"Cale."

He was looking at the floor. I gave his hand a squeeze.

"Cale."

Finally he looked back up at me and I took a step back from the fierceness of his eyes. After a moment he spoke, his voice soft, yet so intense he could have been shouting.

"I walked in and heard the things he said to you and I wanted to tear him apart. If Everett hadn't spoken up, I don't know what I would have done."

He squeezed my hand back.

"When he tried to hit you, I almost lost my mind. I ...really wanted to hurt him."

I threw my arms around him and drew him in for a hug.

"Shh. It's over now, like you said, and I'm proud of you. You didn't even need your trusty steed."

That got a small smile out of him.

"Aren't we late for a meeting?"

He drew his brows together.

"Grace honey, you should go home. You've been through a traumatic experience."

I shook my head.

"It takes a lot more than that to put me down. Besides, that would be letting him see that he got to me. The best thing I can do is keep going."

He looked into my eyes, searching.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded my head firmly.

"Yes, so if you'd be kind enough to help me carry these drawings down the hall, I can show you what I have so far for the Weston Building."

He shook his head.

"You are one amazing lady Grace O'Brien."

I waggled my eyebrows.

"You haven't seen anything yet mister."

Cale loved my ideas for the Weston project and we managed to solidify a few possibilities, which I was going to spend the afternoon working on. I spent a good hour and a half asking him questions about what he wanted in this building. From space, to efficiency, to function, I wanted as many details as he could give me on his concept of the project.

I found myself tapping my pencil on the table. Now that I was alone in my office, my mind finally started creeping back to the events of the morning. I knew that things were strained between me and my boss, but I had no idea that his prejudices ran that deep. It was frightening to think that he had been harboring this hatred of me all this time, just because I had the audacity to be female and good at my job.

If Cale hadn't come in when he did....

I shuddered at the thoughts that flashed through my head. I didn't need to think about that. It was over. He was gone.

I tried to bring my focus back to the job at hand, but finally gave up. I was staring into space when there was a knock on the door. Everett Hayes came in and quietly closed the door behind him.

"Margaret told me you were still here."

I stood and indicated that he should have a seat on the sofa. I perched on the edge of an arm chair, facing him.

"Mr. Hayes..."

He cut me off.

"Please, call me Everett. I just wanted to see how you were doing after this morning's horrible incident. I have to say I am truly surprised to still find you here. You should have gone home."

There was genuine concern and compassion in his voice.

"Thank you for your consideration Mr. Ha......Everett, but really I'm alright. I was a bit shaken, but I'm better off here than sitting at home where I have nothing to do but think. I wasn't actually harmed, so I'll be fine."

He watched my face carefully as though searching for signs that I would crack into little pieces like delicate china. Apparently he was satisfied with what he saw, because he nodded.

"I suppose no one knows your limitations better than you do, but if you need anything at all, including some time off, please don't hesitate to ask."

I was touched by his genuine concern for my well-being. He seemed so real, so down-to earth. It was refreshing.

"I'm just grateful that you and Cale were there. I owe you both a great deal of gratitude."

I smiled.

"It appears chivalry isn't dead."

He gave a grin.

"I suppose this is where I say 'Awe shucks ma'am it weren't nothin'."

I laughed.

"Absolutely sir."

His face sobered.

"You just be sure to thank Cale. It was because of him that we were there, and it was him that kept Capshaw restrained until security could get here."

He shook his head bemusedly.

"I haven't seen a man move that fast before. He's got it bad, and you are one lucky lady."

I blushed.

"Sir, what Brent said about me and..Cale.."

Everett put up his hand.

"What you do outside this job is none of my business Grace. It wasn't any of Capshaw's business. If you're worried that I'll actually buy into the nonsense that moron was spouting, well, let's just say it's been a long while since my intelligence has been questioned in such a fashion."

I felt a blush creeping into my face.

"Of course I didn't mean it like that sir."

12