Halo Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,328 Followers

Brad knelt down and held his hands out towards his son; Nicky hesitated a moment then released Janey's hand as he reached for Brad's outstretched hands. Janey smiled as she watched Nicky walk the few steps to his father.

"He's walking!" Brad exclaimed as he picked him up and cuddled him close. The look he shot Janey was almost accusing.

Janey gave a slight nod. "He started taking steps without holding onto anything three days ago," she said with a shrug. Janey felt as if she had stolen her son's progress from Brad but how could she continue to let him see Nicky while 'Tanaya was around?

"Let's go inside," Brad said, turned around and headed inside.

Janey was left no real option other then to follow him; inside the hallway she could hear a vacuum cleaner running and found 'Tanaya cleaning the lounge room carpet as she reached the lounge room.

"Well hallo there Blondie," Ren said from the doorway to the kitchen.

Janey felt the heat rise in her cheeks as she blushed and she looked down as she avoided his gaze.

"Hallo," her reply was barely audible.

'Tanaya turned the vacuum cleaner off and turned around to face Brad, Nicky and Janey. She smiled as she saw Nicky but her gaze was guarded as she looked at Janey.

"Hallo Janey."

Janey watched her for several seconds before responding. "'Tanaya,"

"I cleaned the lounge room floor in case you thought it might be better to have the picnic in here because of the wind that has picked up outside," 'Tanaya said evenly.

Janey glanced about the room, it was spotless as usual and 'Tanaya did have a point about the wind outside.

"Nicky would probably be more comfortable here," Janey admitted almost reluctantly.

"We have a picnic rug we can put down and make it a party for him," Brad said eagerly.

Janey looked at Nicky where he clung to his father's neck and bounced in his arms happily as he watched Ren. Ren was watching Nicky as he appeared about his father's shoulder then disappeared yet again.

Suddenly Nicky spotted 'Tanaya and laughed excitedly, " 'Nay! Nay!" he called as he held his arms out towards her.

'Tanaya glanced towards Janey uncertainly and wasn't surprised to see the raw anger on her face.

"So what have you been up to since last year? Anything interesting?" Ren asked as he stepped between the two women blocking Janey's view of 'Tanaya.

"I ...I ...I..." Janey stammered as she tried to look round Ren's shoulders at 'Tanaya but Ren slipped an arm around her upper back and guided her into the kitchen.

"How about we look at what food is in the fridge while you tell me." Ren said gently, "now don't you fret about Nicky, Brad is with him and he'll look after him."

Janey glanced down at her hand that Ren had taken hold of when he had taken his arm from around her; his hand was warm and strong as it held hers gently.

"I don't know what to tell you," Janey said softly.

"You been doing any courses or just looking after Nicky?" Ren asked.

"I look after Nicky and there's no just about it - he's a handful. I used to go to counselling sessions twice a week but after I had Nicky I only go once a week and sometimes I go to a group meeting," Janey said with a touch of defiance in her voice.

"It's good you go to counselling. Hawk did some bad things," Ren said quietly.

Janey pulled her hand from his and moved away. She didn't want to talk about that time in her life. It was over and done with and she just wanted to forget it.

Ren watched her turn and move away. He knew it would take time to build trust between them and was willing to wait for it to happen.

"Ever had a warm beef salad?" Ren asked.

Janey turned around curiously. Ren was watching her and she felt the warmth of a blush rise in her face as she looked away very conscious of his eyes on her.

"What is it?" Janey asked and flicked a quick glance his way.

"Herb and salt crusted beef cooked and sliced and tossed through some baby spinach and rocket with balsamic vinaigrette dressing," Ren explained.

"Sounds interesting," Janey said turning her full attention to him.

"Nicky like chicken?" Ren asked as he began putting salad ingredients on the table.

"He loves roasted chicken, but I only give him the breast meat. And tomatoes, cheese, beetroot and pineapple," Janey named some of the items Ren had placed on the table.

"Would you like to make up a plate of food for Nicky while I do the warm beef salad for the adults?" Ren asked.

"Yes, I can do that," Janey agreed. She froze for a few moments as she remembered that Ren had never ordered her to prepare food for him instead he had always asked if she would help while he prepared food.

"Something wrong Blondie?" Ren asked when he saw how Janey stood for a few moments staring into space vacantly. He noticed she gave a start and an uneasy glance his way before reaching for the plastic bowl he was holding out towards her.

"Brad was over the moon when you rang to ask if he wanted to see Nicky. He was on the roof cleaning the guttering out and I thought he was going to float off the roof," Ren said with a smile.

"Nicky's been missing him terribly," Janey admitted softly.

"And you're just trying to be a good Mum and do what's best for Nicky," Ren said softly.

Janey glanced his way quickly; she hadn't heard any censure in his voice. She was sick of everyone else thinking they knew what was best for her and Nicky.

"Nicky is certainly a happy friendly little boy from what I've seen of him. You must be proud of the job you've done with him so far," Ren said reaching out and giving one of her hands a quick squeeze.

Ren watched as a shy smile lit up Janey's face; the glow from within lighting up her face and adding beauty to her shinning eyes.

"Thank you," Janey said.

"You're welcome Sweetheart."

Janey turned back to the food on the table. The warm feeling stayed with her as she began putting food in the bowl for Nicky. When she was satisfied with the food in the bowl she carried it into the lounge room where she stopped and watched as Brad was spreading the picnic rug on the floor and pretending to cover up Nicky and not be able to find him.

"Boo!" Nicky shouted and burst into giggles before crawling to Brad and pulling himself up using Brad's shirt. Nicky then turned around and walked in his wobbly steps to 'Tanaya who was helping spread the blanket out, he put his arms around her neck and pressed his lips to her cheek and gave a wet sounding "Ahhhhhhhhhhh!"

"Here's Nicky's food!" Janey snapped as she placed the plate on the floor and hurried back to the kitchen, almost colliding with Ren who was only two steps behind her.

Ren watched Janey moving jerkily. She kept glancing towards the lounge room and he realised that she was worrying about leaving Nicky in the same room as 'Tanaya without being there herself.

"Want to learn how to do the warm salad?" Ren asked when she continued to pace.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,328 Followers
12