Happy Anniversary, Baby Ch. 06

Story Info
Lauren finds a new friend.
7.4k words
4.49
17.6k
9

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/24/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JonB1969
JonB1969
409 Followers

Please feel free to let me know what you think of Gabrielle. If you have any specific suggestions, please send Anonymous Feedback.

* * * * * * *

I was headed down the hall to the cafeteria for lunch, when my cell phone went off.

"Hello."

"Hi, Lauren," my husband Jack said.

"Hi, honey," I smiled.

"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time..."

"No, not at all. I was just going to lunch."

"Oh, good. Hey, listen, I got another work trip to go on."

I moaned. "Not another one?"

"Yeah, another one, I'm afraid."

"It seems like you never get any time off."

"I know, believe me. This whole regional sales director thing isn't all it's cracked up to be."

"Why don't you ask for a transfer? Surely to Pete you have enough seniority with the company to apply for any job you like?"

"Sure do, Lauren, but that would mean almost certainly taking a pay cut. Just a matter of how much."

I sniffed. "Yes, well, all the money in the world doesn't cure loneliness. You hear me, honey?"

"Yeah. I hear you."

I left it at that. I said, "So. When do you leave this time?"

"Not till tomorrow evening. Why, you gonna come down to the office and give me a surprise send-off?"

"Be careful what you wish for," I said softly.

Jack chuckled. "Have a good lunch. I'll see you this evening."

"You, too. Don't work too hard."

"I promise, babe. See you later."

"See you later, honey. Bye."

"Bye, babe."

I tapped the red button on the touch screen, and wiped away a stray tear.

My frustration and loneliness had two sources. I had been able to see my husband exactly twice in the last several months. And I haven't been able to see Staci at all. I feel like I've offended her in some way. After our last lovemaking session, I had her take the bag of sex toys with her. I didn't want my husband tripping across them.

The two people in my life that are closest to me, and I can't see either of them!

Wiping away tears, I made my way into the cafeteria, and got lunch.

My heart leapt for joy when I saw Staci sitting at a table by herself, way over in the far corner. As soon as I swept my employee ID card through the register, I took my tray and quickly walked over.

I said, "Is this table taken?"

Staci looked over quickly, then said, "No, of course not."

I thought she sounded guilty.

But I sat down across from her, instead of next to her. As I spread a napkin across my lap, I said, "Long time no see, stranger."

"Yeah. I know."

"Jack is going on another work trip. You want to have dinner?"

Staci's smile was muted. "Yeah? When is he going?"

"Not till tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking we could have dinner this weekend."

"Dance for him," Staci said, out of nowhere.

"What?"

"You heard me," she said. "Remember what we talked about, when we first met?"

I blushed. "How could I forget?"

We both giggled.

Staci said, "Dance for him. Don't wait for him to ask. And wear that outfit you had on."

I blushed. But then my brain kicked in under my emotions. "Staci. Are you seeing someone?"

"Lauren, don't be silly-"

"Staci, when you like someone enough, you will make time to see them, regardless of how busy you are."

"What are you talking about?"

"For the last several weeks, you've made excuses or just changed the subject in mid stream, like you just did, every time I even mention you and I doing anything. So just tell me, are you seeing someone? Just be honest with me."

Staci looked away. I thought I saw a tear roll down her cheek. I wanted to brush it away.

Finally she looked at me steadily and said, "Yes. I've met someone."

A heavy silence fell.

All I said was, "I see."

"I met him a couple of months ago."

"Okay. Are you serious?"

"Getting serious. We were friends in college. I bumped into him one weekend at the coffee shop. We started going out. Lauren, I'm sorry, I don't want to jeopardize what I have with him-"

"For an affair with a lonely, desperate, old lady?"

"Lauren, don't say that..."

We ate our lunch in heavy silence. I wanted to burst into tears. But I couldn't afford to have the whole office talking about it.

In a whisper, Staci said, "I'll see you around, Lauren."

I didn't reply.

Staci stood up, took her tray and walked away.

* * * * * * * *

The very next day, during lunch time, instead of taking my lunch, I drove over to my husband's office.

I wanted to get out of the building. I couldn't handle seeing Staci today, knowing that all that lingerie I bought for her, was being worn for someone else.

I caught quite a few stares through the corner of my eye as I crossed the lobby to the elevator.

That gave me a needed ego-boost. Eat your hearts out, guys.

I hoped my husband wouldn't think the same way twice about the outfit I was wearing - a black long-sleeved satin blouse, black leather pencil skirt with a high slit in back, sheer black seamed stockings on my legs, and my favorite black leather six-inch stiletto heels.

Underneath was a little something-something from Victoria's Secret, a black pushup bra and panties, made to not show under clothes.

I was going to give my husband a send-off he wouldn't soon forget.

As the elevator whisked me up to my husband's office, I took a mirror from my matching black leather hand bag, snapped it open, and gave myself a critical once-over.

Red lipstick, check. Smoky eye shadow, check. Long eyelashes, check. Hair down and curled, check.

I no longer had my hot pink nails. But I have let them grow. One of the girls at the salon has been helping me. They're not long, not even close, but they are getting past the finger tip now.

Just as I snapped the mirror closed, the elevator door dinged open. I quickly stuffed it back in my purse.

My stiletto heels clicked on gray tile as I stepped out of the elevator and went down the hall to the secretary's desk.

A different secretary sat there. This one was brunette. That made me smile to myself.

She looked up and smiled. "Hi, can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm Lauren Mitchell, Jack's wife."

"Oh, hi, Mrs. Mitchell. I'm Terri, Jack's new secretary."

"Hi, Terri, and call me Lauren, please."

"Okay, Lauren. How can I help you?"

"I was hoping I might be able to see my husband. I wanted to give him a big send-off before his trip."

"Aw, that's so sweet of you."

"Thank you."

"I danced for my husband just a couple of weeks ago for his birthday. Best birthday he ever had."

We both laughed. My laughter sounded nervous.

Then I said, "How did you know I was going to dance for him?"

"Because, I wore an outfit pretty similar to that when I danced for my husband. Plus your makeup is beautiful."

I blushed but didn't reply.

Then she said, "Hang on, let me just make sure he's not on a phone call or something."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Sure."

The secretary got up, opened the door, and disappeared into his office for a minute. Then she just as quickly returned, smiling. "Go ahead. He's just finishing up some work."

I whispered, "Thanks."

"Sure. I know it's going to be a good dance."

I smiled as I grabbed the handle. "Let's hope so..."

I cracked open the door and eased inside.

My husband was sitting at his desk, typing away at his computer.

He looked up, as I closed the door with an audible click.

I said, "Hi, honey..."

"Lauren. Wow."

The floors of his office were tile - perfect for wearing high heeled shoes. I walked slowly towards his desk, heels clicking slowly and seductively.

Click. Click. Click. Click.

"Do you like my outfit?"

"How could I not like it?"

I giggled. "Thank you! Why don't you sit down on the couch?"

I dropped my purse on his desk as he got up, crossed the room and sat on the couch.

He grinned. "I'm guessing this is that send-off you were talking about, that I should be careful about wishing for?"

"That's right..."

He swallowed as he sat down on the couch.

I reached into my purse, took out my cell phone, and tapped the screen. The song was already set up. Beyonce's "Dance For You."

From the desk, I slowly walked towards him, running my hands seductively down my sides and over my hips, as the song began to play.

Click. Click. Click. Click.

But then, in the middle of a step, the door suddenly opened.

Shit, I can't even have five minutes to give my husband a send off?

My heart dropped. It was probably something or someone important.

Jack looked unhappy, too.

We both looked over at the source of the interruption.

It wasn't his secretary. Instead it was a beautiful black woman, about Staci's age, her skin like chocolate, her figure curvaceous, wearing a simple black skirt suit and matching heels, her jet black hair worn down, brushing her shoulders.

She barged into the room. As she opened the door, I caught, "Don't worry, he knows me-" As soon as the woman saw me, she covered her mouth. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry."

My husband said, "Tiffany, wait out in the lobby. I'm busy."

Tiffany said, "Yes, I can see that..."

My voice suddenly brittle, I said, "Don't bother, Tiffany. I'll see myself out."

Jack tried to stand. "Lauren, wait-"

The woman, Tiffany, or whatever the hell her name was, tried to stop me. "Look, I said I'm sorry. I'll just wait out in the lobby-"

"Don't bother. I have to go, anyway." I grabbed my purse and my phone, and went for the door, the song still playing on my phone.

* * * * * *

When I got back to my office, I just barely had enough time to compose myself.

I pulled in to the parking lot, saw what time it was, and took a few deep breaths to get my emotions back under control.

When I felt like I could answer people's questions without flying off the handle or snapping their heads off, I got out of my car and walked across the parking lot towards the security entrance.

When I came inside, the officer said, "Right on time, Mrs. Mitchell. Just barely, though."

"I know, right. Serves me right for driving somewhere for lunch."

Quickly I swiped my card, then went to find my desk and sign back on. Last thing I needed was to have my supervisor ride my ass for being late from lunch. But he liked to ride my ass for everything, so it wouldn't be anything new.

It wasn't until later, after I had been back to work for some time, that I looked up from my computer, to see Staci coming in to my cubicle.

All I said was, "Hi."

She was the last person I wanted to see. But I have to admit, she did look very pretty, even when casual dress was allowed, wearing a long sleeved gray cotton top, blue jeans, and flat sandals.

Staci said, "Do you mind if I sit down?"

I wanted to say GO AWAY, but instead I said, "No. Go ahead. Have a seat. What's up?"

"I didn't see you at lunch..."

"Yes. I wanted to get out of the office."

"Yeah, I'll just bet, with that outfit."

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Come on, Lauren, we talked about this..."

I fought down the urge to take her head off. "Yeah. We sure did."

"So? How did it go? Did you give Jack a big send-off?"

This was the wrong question to ask.

Sharply I said, "Staci, I have work to do."

Staci flinched like I had slapped her. "Lauren, I didn't mean anything..."

More quietly, I said, "I'd rather not talk about it here at my desk. So please leave me to my work."

Staci quickly left without another word.

I was grateful for that.

About an hour later, I guess, my phone rang.

Afraid to answer it, I went ahead and picked it up. "Lauren Mitchell."

"Lauren, hi, it's Gabrielle White. Do you have a minute?"

"Uhm, yeah, I guess. What's up?"

"You put in an application regarding the opening I have for an executive assistant?"

My brain had to rapidly shift gears. "Ah. Yes. I did. Yes."

"I was wondering if you could come to my office this afternoon to do an interview?"

"Today? Oh, I don't know. My supervisor is hassling me to get this work done..."

"You let me handle your supervisor. Why don't you come to my office at, say, the top of the hour?"

"Okay. I can do that."

"Very good. I'll see you then."

"Okay. Thank you."

We both hung up. I was feeling pretty excited.

If I could get this job, it could potentially change my whole situation. At the very least, it would get me out of this boring admin job.

* * * * * *

A few minutes before the top of the hour, I locked my computer, stood up, and pulled my skirt down so it looked smooth. Then I went down the hall to the elevator, took it up to the executive level, and walked over to the other side of the building, where Gabrielle White's office was.

Gabrielle White was the brand-new Vice-President of Social Media, and she recently put out a call to promote one lucky employee to be her executive assistant.

The employee lucky enough to get that job, to get any job on her staff, would get a sizable salary increase, not to mention a huge increase in prestige, their own personal parking space, as well as other benefits, and access to people who could potentially further benefit their career.

Of course, they would also draw the jealousy of every other employee in the building. But that was life for you.

Frankly, I was surprised I got called in for an interview. There were a lot of employees applying for this job. Much younger, more computer savvy employees. But, as Jack loved to point out all the time, I was always on all my social media accounts, whether from my laptop or my cell phone.

Just at the top of the hour, I arrived at Gabrielle's office. A pretty blonde lady came out and sat at her desk, dressed in a silver satin blouse with a sleek black satin pencil skirt and sky-high black high heels.

She looked up and said, "Hi. You must be Lauren."

"Yes. Hi. I'm Lauren. Lauren Mitchell."

"Hi, I'm Bonnie. I'm her secretary."

"Oh, hi. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too. That's a beautiful outfit!"

"Thank you. I wore it for my husband."

"Aw, that's so sweet of you. Go on in. Gabrielle is expecting you."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Sure!"

I walked past the desk and stepped inside the inner office.

To my surprise, Gabrielle White sat at the couch at the far end of the office, instead of at her desk. The couch was black leather, like my skirt and my heels, and was placed so that one had quite a view out the floor to ceiling windows.

Gabrielle White was a beautiful woman.

Her skin was about a shade darker than Staci's, definitely still chocolate, her jet black hair worn, like mine, in wavy curls that brushed past her shoulders. Her outfit matched her name. She wore a rather plain short sleeved white dress, along with sky-high white pumps.

She sat quite still, her long chocolate legs crossed casually, hands sitting placidly in her lap. Her lips were painted caramel, and her glamour-length nails were French style.

Gabrielle said, "Lauren, there you are. Come in, have a seat."

Nervously, I said, "Thank you, Miss White."

"Please, call me Gabrielle. No need to be so formal."

"Okay." I sat down, close but not too close. "I have to apologize."

"Why on earth do you need to apologize?"

"I don't have a copy of my resume."

"Oh, that's alright, Lauren. You won't be needing it."

"And why is that?"

"Well, I have to admit, I didn't just pull you in for an interview."

"Really? What am I doing here, then?"

"A little bird told me you could use a friend."

My polite smile turned into a stiff frown. "Who's that?"

Gabrielle placed her dark brown hand on my pale one. "Your friend Staci Summers. She was concerned for you."

"I have a hard time believing that."

"Well, she was. Did you know she put in a good word for you?"

"Did she?"

"Yes, she did. She told me how you had done her a big favor by getting her hired on here. She thought it was only fair she should do the same."

Despite myself, I smiled. "That was sweet of her."

"Yes, she told me all about you."

"What did she say?"

"She told me about how you've been working in the Admin department the whole time you've been with us, and never complained, or ever applied for any other transfers."

I said, "Yes, that's true. What else did she say?"

"She also said it was her idea for you to see your husband. She feels responsible for your pain."

I couldn't say anything. I could just barely keep the tears away.

Gabrielle gently squeezed my arm. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I sniffed, because I couldn't hold back the tears. "I hardly ever see him, because of his big promotion. So today I went to surprise him with this outfit, give him a special send-off, and some woman came in."

Gabrielle wore a genuinely sympathetic expression. "What did that woman say?"

"Jack tried to get her to leave. But the damage was already done. So I left."

Despite myself, the tears coursed down my face.

Gabrielle patted my back. "There, there." She handed me a tissue. "Here. You don't want to smear your makeup."

That finally got a laugh out of me. "Thanks. Fortunately it's waterproof."

"I'm sure. Come on, now, dry your tears. That's it."

I sniffed. "Thanks."

Gabrielle didn't reply but instead kept raking her nails across my back.

Once I got myself composed, I said, "So. I'm guessing you've been getting a lot of applications."

"Yes, quite a few. Mostly from people Staci's age. That's the only bad thing about Social Media. I feel like a den mother."

We both laughed.

Then out of nowhere, Gabrielle said, "However, the executive assistant position does not need to worry about the actual use of Social Media, just be able to schedule my day and coordinate with the person who actually does handle my social media accounts."

"I imagine you must get quite a few messages."

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. "Let's put it this way, the executive assistant position is not a luxury. Do you think you can handle that?"

"Oh yes, I could certainly handle that."

"Good. When can you start?"

A little shocked, I said, "Uhm... As soon as Human Resources can process my paper work?"

Gabrielle laughed. "Good answer! Because I do want you to be my assistant."

"Uhm... really?"

"Yes. Really. Why don't you and I have dinner tonight?"

"Uhm... sure. I guess. My husband will be out of town this evening. What should I wear?"

"Don't worry, you don't have to dress up. Just a cocktail dress is fine."

"I can do that. Not very fancy, I'm afraid. At least not yet."

Gabrielle smiled. "Oh, don't worry. Work for me, Lauren, and you will be able to buy the wardrobe of your dreams. Your husband will be absolutely dying to see what you'll be wearing, before long. He might even stop taking so many trips."

I rather doubted that. But I said, "When should I be ready?"

"How about six-thirty?"

"Okay. I'll be ready for you."

"Excellent. I'll send a car to pick you up."

"No need to do that..."

"Nonsense. You're my assistant. I want to make things easy for you. I don't want you to have to find the place. Just enjoy dinner."

"Okay. That's very sweet of you..."

"Very good. Congratulations!"

"Thank you!" I ran my nails through my hair. "And, thank you, for listening. I didn't think anyone was on my side today."

"Awww, come here..."

Gabrielle eased her arm around my waist and pulled me towards her in a hug like I'd never had before, like being protected. She ran her hands up and down my back.

It was nice.

I pulled back, and looked in to the most beautiful brown eyes I'd ever seen. They filled my sight.

Suddenly Gabrielle leaned in very close, and our lips were touching!

We kissed, softly, soothingly.

Then, as I realized what we were doing, I pulled back and said, "Uhm..."

"Yes, Lauren?"

"I'd...uhm... I'd better get back to work. My boss is having kittens by now."

Gabrielle smiled.

"Your soon to be former boss will not say a word to you. I promise. But yes, you'd better get back to work. And...you might want to speak to Staci. You know?"

JonB1969
JonB1969
409 Followers