Harbinger Ch. 04

Story Info
Lyara's potential is realised among the Companions.
3k words
4.54
15k
10
1

Part 4 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 06/08/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers

In the coming fight, Lyara could not help but be impressed with the skill Vilkas displayed. He handled his sword like it was an extension of his arm. Between them, they killed the Silver Hand distributed about the base. Lyara lead the way, and Vilkas was quite comfortable allowing her to do so once he saw her skill with the bow. Having half the people dead even before he entered the room made his life a lot simpler.

During their journey back, with the Wuuthrad pieces safely stashed in Vilkas' pack, he still didn't speak to her but she felt that his demeanor towards her had softened slightly. At least he didn't look at her like there was something rotten in the room.

When they returned to Whiterun, Vilkas instructed her to make her way to Skyforge where the other Companions should have the funeral preparations underway.

Once there, she saw a pyre had been built next to the forge, and Kodlak's body, wrapped in linen, was laid out on top. All of the Companions were there, their faces full of heartache and anguish.

She watched the flames consume his body. It was said that the fire facilitates the voyage to the realm of the dead, to Sovengarde. Lyara felt greatly saddened by Kodlak's death as she felt that she owed him so much. He had given her the opportunity to join the Companions, and be a part of this family. He would be greatly missed.

After the ceremony, Lyara approached Farkas and gently laid her hand on his arm. She was about to offer her condolences when he growled, "Not now".

He pulled his arm away from her and walked quickly ahead.

Lyara stopped in her tracks, her feelings hurt and her eyes welling with tears. She had not meant to intrude on his grief, but to offer solace. Instead, she took the pieces of Wuuthrad Vilkas had given her, and gave them to the smith, Eorlund.

Eorlund asked if she would mind fetching the final piece that Kodlak kept in his private quarters. Lyara nodded agreement. Walking through a silent Jorrvaskr was an uncomfortable experience. The place was usually so full of life; people eating, drinking, brawling, and bragging. This place was the heart of the Companions, and Kodlak had been the soul.

In his room, she was overcome with emotion, and allowed herself the luxury of a few moments reflection. She remembered his kind words to her, his soft grey eyes, and his good council and wisdom. But she was most sorry that she never got to lift the curse for him.

She returned to Eorlund at Skyforge, and he told her to meet with the other leaders in Underforge. When she got there, Vilkas, Farkas, and Aela were discussing Kodlak's curse.

Vilkas explained that he felt that they should try and honour the old man's wishes, and to complete the ceremony he wanted at the tomb of Ysgramor.

"Maybe this will give his spirit some comfort," he added.

Lyara listened as Aela, Farkas and Vilkas all agreed to go to Ysgramor's tomb, and perform the ceremony, and apparently she was going with them so they went to prepare for the journey. Before they left, Eorlund told them that he had been able to reform Wuuthrad. Surprisingly, he handed the reformed axe to Lyara, saying they would need it to gain entry into the tomb.

Wuuthrad was originally wielded by Ysgramor, founder of the Companions. The legendary Nord Ysgramor was said to have defeated the Snow Elves of Skyrim, during the latter half of the ancient Merethic Era, with no more than 500 Companions. Looking at the razor sharp double blades, that had a haunting face inscribed on the side, Lyara could easily believe it.

With Aela's help, she strapped it to her back and was ready to go. She deliberately avoided any contact with Farkas, giving him a wide berth should she upset him again. The whole group was in a somber mood as they rode through the cold landscapes of northern Skyrim.

At the entrance to the tomb, a large statue of Ysgramor loomed over the Companions. The statues' hands were outstretched, ready to accept an offering. The Companions parted to allow Lyara to step forward. She raised the huge axe and laid it onto the cold stone hands. Behind the statue they heard grating noises as ancient and massive stones moved to reveal the entrance to the tomb beneath.

As they headed toward the door, Vilkas stopped them saying that he would remain at the entrance.

"I regret nothing of what we did at Driftshade, but I can't go any further with my mind fogged and heart grieved."

Lyara just shrugged, her mind too occupied to worry about his reasoning, and headed towards the door.

"Be cautious," he shouted after her. "The finest warriors rest with Ysgramor. You will have to prove yourself to them."

Great, she thought. Now I have to worry about the dead as well as the living.

She was grateful to hear Aela and Farkas behind her as she made her way lower into the tomb. The walls were moist and slick with slimy mould and funghi. Their breath started to plum in front of them as the air got colder the further they descended.

Their footsteps echoed as they stepped around the tombs of past Harbingers, the true leaders of the Companions, and other fallen heroes. The eerie silence was broken, when Lyara heard sibilant voices whispering around the room. The Companions froze, as the whispering got louder. They were disoriented as it was impossible to pinpoint the source.

Lyara caught a hint of movement off to her right, but when she tried to focus on it, she couldn't quite make out what it was. It was vaguely human shaped, but almost transparent. As she stared, the misty form started to coalesce into a more recognizably human form.

"Who daressss disssturb my ressssst?"

With that, the ghost moved towards her preparing to attack with its ethereal sword. She fired quickly, the arrows barely slowing it down, so she quickly released her axe just as the spirit struck at her. She parried one attack, and cut a couple of strokes herself when the spirit returned to its mist form and disappeared.

Lyara was a bit shaken, and looked at Aela and Farkas who both looked equally taken aback. They carried on deeper into the tomb, having to fight off several more of the restless spirits before they got to their destination.

When they arrived at the burial chamber, Lyara could not help her shocked exclamation. In the centre of the room was a large stone brazier that held the Flame of the Harbinger and next to it stood the ghost with the likeness of Kodlak.

"Kodlak? Is that you?" she asked cautiously.

"Of course. My fellow Harbingers and I have been warming ourselves here," came the spirit's reply. The voice was that of the Kodlak she knew and loved, but it had none of the familiar warmth and vitality. It sounded distant, and disembodied.

"But there is nobody else here," Lyara asked.

"You only see me because your heart only knows me as the Companion's leader. I'll wager old Vignar could see half a dozen of my predecessors," Kodlak said with an unearthly chuckle. "But they can all see you," he continued. "You have brought honour to the name of the Companions. We won't soon forget it."

Lyara was a little embarrassed at the high praise. "Vilkas said you could still be cured."

"Do you still have the witch's head?"

She nodded.

"Then throw it into the fire, and it will release the magic."

Lyara reached into her pack, and pulled out the grisly package. She threw it into the strange flickering blue flame, and waited.

Kodlak's spirit started to shake, and doubled over in apparent agony. Lyara and the Companions watched as a second spirit, that of a wolf, pulled itself free from Kodlak. It lifted its large ghostly head, and growled.

Farkas was instantly ready with his sword, and engaged the beast. Lyara was shocked into action, and joined the fray. Aela kept back, and fired her arrows lightening fast. The ghost-wolf succumbed to the attack, and vanished into thin air just as the ghost-Companions had done.

The ghost of Kodlak remained however. Lyara spoke to him. "We have killed your beast spirit."

"I thank you for your gift," the spirit replied. "The other Harbingers remain trapped by Hircine, though. Perhaps from Sovngarde, the heroes of old can join me in their rescue. The Harrowing of the Hunting Grounds. It would be a battle of such triumph."

His kindly face smiled at the other Companions before looking directly at Lyara.

"Perhaps someday you will join us in that battle. But for today, return to Jorrvaskr. Triumph in your victory, and lead the Companions to further glory."

With those final words, his spirit faded, until he could be seen no more. Lyara smiled then. Despite feeling like she had lost her friend all over again, she was happy that now he would spend his eternal rest in Sovngarde, as his heart had desired.

When she turned to the other two, Aela asked her, "Did I hear him right? Did he say you were to lead the Companions?"

"He did," Farkas answered on her behalf. His voice sounded thoughtful, but his feelings regarding this outcome were unreadable.

"Does that upset you?" Lyara asked, to them both.

Aela just shrugged, and said, "You have earned the right. Your strength and honour are apparent to all." The Huntress stepped forward, and placed her hand on Lyara's shoulder.

"It's my honour to be the first to address you as Harbinger."

Lyara smiled in return, then Aela nodded her head towards the exit, and added, "Come on, let's go tell the others."

Farkas was strangely silent. Not exactly known for being talkative, but she would have expected some remark from him.

At the entrance of the tomb, Vilkas was so relieved to hear that they had indeed cured Kodlak's curse, that he actually took the news of her being Harbinger quite well.

"I wouldn't have expected someone like you to be Harbinger, but Kodlak trusted your judgment ... and so will I."

Lyara was a little stunned. Maybe Vilkas had actually listened to his brother for a change. When the party returned to Jorrvaskr, the news spread quickly about Kodlak's cure, and of her installment as Harbinger.

The Companions had a proper wake in honour of Kodlak. The mood was bitter sweet as they celebrated his cure, yet mourned his loss. Stories were told of his battles, and the enemies he had defeated. Lyara couldn't help smiling at the fact that some of the stories had obviously been embellished slightly, but that was part of the Nord tradition she quickly realised.

Aela suggested that she should move into Kodlak's old quarters. Lyara was not sure, as she felt uncomfortable moving all his belongings out. She went down and sat in his room for a bit. She still felt as if she was being intrusive as she rummaged through his belongings. Tucked in one of the drawers of an end table, she found Kodlak's journal.

She started to read it, hoping that it may impart some advice. I really need it old man, she mentally sent him a message. You have given me this responsibility; the least you could do is help me out here.

She lay on the bed, and read. In it were his thoughts about the Companions, about the civil war, and a lot of thoughts about his search for a cure. Before she knew it, she had fallen asleep. It had been a long few days and so soon after her illness, it all suddenly caught up on her.

The next day, no one seemed surprised when she emerged from Kodlak's room. It was as if it had been expected.

She dressed in a long cream woolen dress Timla had found her to wear the night before. She cinched it in at the waist with a dark brown soft leather bodice. She made her way upstairs to sit in the mead hall, and once again flipped through the pages of Kodlak's journal again, as she picked at a breakfast that she hadn't really wanted.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Farkas sat next to her.

She was pleasantly surprised by the way he was dressed. It was the first time she had seen him wearing something other than armour. He was wearing some dark leather trousers, and a cotton vest. The sleeves had been torn off, probably too tight for his biceps. She could not help but notice the lack of sleeves highlighted his defined muscles. The small V cut at the neck was just low enough for a little of his chest hair to be visible.

She forced herself to look into his pale blue eyes. They shone like diamonds from beneath thick jet black brows. They twinkled as he smiled at her, and she immediately started to feel a little warmth in the depths of her stomach.

Farkas had nearly walked past her as she had looked deep in thought and he didn't want to disturb her. He then realised he hadn't spoken to her much since Kodlak's death, nor properly congratulated her on becoming Harbinger. He still felt a little remorse for snapping at her during the funeral, so he should probably make up for that too.

"Hey," he said cheerfully, as he plonked himself next to her on the bench. "You look like you are thinking so hard, you could hurt yourself."

She laughed softly, and he instantly felt his heart beat faster at the sound. She told him that she had been reading Kodlak's journal, hoping that it would help her be a better Harbinger. She pushed the book towards him, and pointed at a particular paragraph.

"I have received few dreams over the course of my life, but when they come, I have learned to trust them. I have also learned to trust the instincts of my heart, which tells me that Lyara can carry the Companions legacy as truly as any residing in Jorrvaskr, especially with the loss of Skjor. Aela is too solitary, Vilkas too fiery, and Farkas too kind-hearted. Only Lyara stands as a true warrior who can keep a still mind amidst these burning hearts."

Farkas read the passage. He looked back at Lyara.

"I think this tells you everything you need to know. Kodlak saw in you the potential to be our leader from the beginning. I trusted Kodlak more than anyone I have ever met before, so I am happy with his decision. I know that you will do the right thing."

Lyara was moved at his faith in her, and she thanked him.

"I am still unsure how being Dragonborn will affect my duties as Harbinger. I feel a responsibility to go to Riften to follow up on some information I received about why the dragons have returned, and I also have to visit the Greybeards in High Hrothgar to receive further instruction on the Thu'um."

She looked down at the journal and fiddled absentmindedly with the corners.

"So I guess you are going to be going on a trip then?" Farkas asked.

"Yes, I think I should go soon, today even; certainly before the weather gets too bad to travel. I need to get to the bottom of all this before being able to fully commit to the position of Harbinger," she replied, her thoughts drifting off again.

"I ... I could come with you." He stammered a little nervously.

Lyara smiled at him. She was flattered that he had offered, and gladly accepted his offer.

"Great," he replied, looking genuinely pleased. "I will go get a few things prepared for our trip and we can leave as soon as you are ready."

She nodded her agreement.

"We will travel to Ivarstead first," he suggested. "We can take the '7000 Steps' from there up to High Hrothgar. Afterwards, we can go on to Riften to meet your contact there."

She watched him walk away, and took the opportunity to admire his long muscular legs, and firm buttocks tightly encased in the soft leather. She suddenly regretted her decision to accept his offer. Spending time on the road with Farkas, just the two of them, was something she would have been overjoyed at a few days ago. Now, however, she was his Harbinger. As leader of the Companions, it probably was not appropriate to form any kind of relationship with one of those under her care.

She wasn't sure yet what it meant to be Dragonborn, or what it would require her to do. She wasn't sure if it would be fair to drag Farkas into all that. It would be too easy to be distracted by him, and his handsome face and gentle smile. She would have to endeavour to keep a professional distance.

Lyara picked up the journal, and took it back to Kodlak's room. She changed into her armour, and gathered her pack with a few essential provisions and some coin.

She made her way back towards the mead hall, but decided to visit Vilkas in his quarters first, as she wanted to inform him that she would be away for several days. She knocked on his door, and she heard him say, "Enter."

Lyara pushed the door open, and was a little surprised to see Ria in his room. She smiled in greeting at the pretty young Companion, who just flashed her large eyes at Vilkas, and with an embarrassed smile at Lyara, dashed out of his room.

Vilkas turned to her, his face set in its usual scorn. "What do you want, Harbinger?"

Lyara chose to ignore the way he had sneered the title, but was disappointed that he had returned to his old ways with her. She proceeded to tell him that she had to go away for several days, and he was to watch over things while she was away. She didn't give him chance to reply, or to argue, but said it with an air of authority, before sweeping out of his room.

"Oh! And I am taking Farkas with me," she shouted as she marched down the hall.

Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers