Harvest of Expectations Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can't start out knowing you've got just half of what you expected. I always thought you had high expectations. What will your parents say? They'll be shocked and they would never forgive me."

Jim shook his head.

"There comes a time when a man has to decide things like this alone and then tell his parents about it later. And don't judge my parents until you've given them a chance. They are a lot different from yours."

"You already said that it means something to you," she countered.

"I suppose I did say that,. But, there are other things that mean even more—and that includes especially you. I've already told you that I love you. I didn't mean that I would only love you as long as you are perfect."

Hildy was gasping for breath.

"And don't expect me to be perfect, either!" he added for effect. "You already know some of my imperfections—and I have a lot more."

"But this is a lot different, Hildy argued. "It will never change."

"I'm not buying a car, Hildy. People don't come with warranties. When you join up with another person it's strictly belief and faith."

"Oh, if it only didn't happen back then," Hildy murmured. "I was so naïve and..."

"But it did happen, and we've still got to live or lives," Jim countered. "And it's also your business. You had no obligation to disclose any of it.—to me or anyone."

Hildy looked away and Jim knew that she was thinking things over.

"But you would have found out when we would be trying to start a family," she said after she faced him again.

"You could have made up some other story when it became a problem. 'The doctor said this' or 'the doctor said that'. How would I have ever known the difference? I would have believed you. Why wouldn't I?"

"But don't you want a family someday?"

"When that day comes we'll adopt our children," he told her. "They'll be lucky to have you for a mother."

"It's only fair that you know."

"You see, Hildy, that's what I know of you. You would never lie to me. You have more courage than me, or anyone else I know. That's one reason why I love you like I do."

"I lied to you once," she answered, "the night after the football game when I told you I was having my period. It wasn't true. I told you that to see how you would react. It was then that I started hoping that someday..."

"That 'someday is going to be 'today' soon enough, Hildy, if you'll just change your mind."

"You still want me?" she asked.

"Of course," he answered. "Dry your eyes and we'll go get something to eat."

"I don't know what to say," she said. "I just hope..."

Jim slid over to her side of the seat and put his arms around her. He kissed her forehead and she hugged him to her. After a few minutes Jim broke away from her.

"Are you ready for some dinner? I've got a company credit card, you know."

"There's just one thing," she said.

"I'm listening."

"My father told me that if I didn't break up with you tonight he would tell you my story, himself."

"Tell him you already told me and..."

"And then he said that if you are as stupid as he thinks, he would call your father and tell him. Then we'd be sure to break up."

Jim shook his head and tried to find the right words to say.

"After your mother and I went shopping together last week he really went off the deep end. He wants to bring that apprentice from the machine shop around again."

"Hildy, your father is blackmailing you. I'm not going to stand for it. We're going over there right now and I'm going to straighten him out."

Jim started the car and put it into gear.

"Maybe we should just let it go," Hildy said as they pulled out of the parking lot.

"No!" he replied and he could feel his pulse start to race and the veins in his neck start to swell.

In a minute or two they were approaching her parents' house.

"Oh, my God, he's here!" Hildy cried.

"Who's here?"

"Randy—that's the apprentice's name. That has to be his car in the driveway. I don't know who else's it could be."

"Good! We'll have everyone together and we'll have it out."

"Maybe you better go," Hildy said. "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere with him."

"I think I better stay."

Jim marched in the back door with Hildy tagging behind him. There was no one in the kitchen so they moved to the front room. Hildy's father was standing in the middle of the room waiting for them. Her mother was sitting in a chair off to the side. There was a man about Jim's age standing next to Hildy's father. He was about six- three—taller than Hildy and was heavier-built than Jim wearing jeans and a tee-shirt. He had shaggy hair and wore a three days' scruff.

"Mr. Wertz, I..." Jim began to say.

"What are you doing here?" her father said to Jim. "I thought Hildy was taking care of everything."

"She told me everything," Jim said, "and we have taken care of it."

"I knew you'd be too stupid to get it," her father spat back at him.

"I understand you have a message for my father," Jim said. "Don't bother, I'll tell him myself."

Hildy's father paused. He looked at his daughter and then at the young man standing beside him.

"Randy's here to spend some time with Hildy. You're out of the picture, young fella."

"I don't think so."

"You don't think so?" Old Herb taunted. "Well, I know so. I tried to give you a chance to walk away at MacIver's. You were a stupid young fella' then and you haven't smartened up a single bit."

"I don't care what you think of me. You're not going to do this to Hildy any more. I won't stand for it."

"Get out of my house," her father said, "or I'll have Randy, here, throw you out."

"Hildy," Jim said, "go upstairs and pack some clothes. Then call Darlene and see if you can stay with her. You're not going to live like this any longer. It's over."

"Don't be ridiculous," Wertz said. "Get out of my house."

"Darlene's on vacation," Hildy said. "I can't call her."

"You see?" her father said. "Now, leave."

"You can stay with my parents until you can get set up somewhere else. You are not staying here," Jim said to Hildy.

"Please, Jim," Hildy cried, "just let it go for now. Someone's going to get hurt. I can call you in the morning."

"I'm not letting anything go," Jim answered. "and I'm not leaving without you. Hurry up and get packed."

There was silence in the room and everyone froze in place.

"Hildy, I meant what I said," Jim said at last. "Hurry up and pack."

Hildy ran upstairs.

"I told you to get out of my house," her father screamed.

"When Hildy's ready I'll leave—but not until she's ready to go with me,' Jim said

Jim felt himself becoming angrier, but reminded himself to stay under control.

"She's not going anywhere," her father yelled back. "I know what's best for her."

It was too much for Jim and he let go.

"Best for her or best for you?" he yelled back. "You don't know and I don't know and Randy sure doesn't know, either. Only Hildy knows what's best and she wants to go with me."

Jim was out of breath and knew he had lost control.

"Look, I lost my temper and I'm sorry," he said as he reduced the volume in his voice. "But Hildy's going with me."

Hildy's father turned to the large, young man standing beside him.

"Randy, throw this idiot out of here."

Randy took a step forward; but hesitated.

"Just throw him out," Hildy's father insisted. "He's nothin'"

"Maybe—maybe not," Jim said. "Are you ready to give it a try, Randy?"

"Look young fella," Hildy's father said to Jim, "do yourself a favor. Look at him. Look at you. He's twice your size. You've got a cast on your arm. You're nothin'. He'll rip you apart. Now get out of here."

"It's an elastic bandage, and I'm not leaving without Hildy."

"Randy," her father said, "let him have it and don't hold back—so this will be the end of him."

"I'm ready when you are," Jim said to Randy. "But, don't forget, I've got a stake in this, and you don't. So, if you're ready, come on."

Randy took a step forward with his fist raised, but then stepped back.

"C'mon, Randy," Hildy's father bellowed, "do you want to get laid or not? Just throw him out and she's all yours. She'll hop in the sack with anyone. Believe me, I know. Just look at him, a college boy who thinks he's got everyone fooled. Now get him out of here and then take what's been promised you."

"It's up to you, Randy," Jim said.

"I don't know this guy," the young man named 'Randy' said.

Hildy came down the stairs carrying two suitcases.

"I'll call the cops," her father yelled as Jim and Hildy headed for the door. "Be my guest," Jim called over his shoulder as he opened the door.

"Give it up, Herbert. They're gone," Jim heard Hildy's mother say as they walked out of the house.

****************

Jim drove Hildy to the parking lot where she'd left her car.

"Follow me to my parents' house."

He gave her directions in case they got separated. He looked at her and she had no expression, like a boxer who had just taken a right cross to the face.

"Don't worry, Hildy. Everything will be okay. You've trusted me this far."

"Okay," she said. "I never expected..."

"Sometimes we don't know what to expect. Don't worry, everything will be okay."

Jim pulled out of the parking lot. Hildy was right behind him.

They pulled into Jim's parents' driveway, one after the other at about nine-forty-five. There were lights on in the living room, so Jim knew they hadn't gone to bed yet. Jim got out of the car and went to Hildy, who was still in her car.

"Let me go in and explain things; then I'll come out and bring you in."

As he was about to go in Jim's parents came out of the house.

"Hildy's father called and he wants her to come home right away," Jim's father said.

"Dad, Hildy can't go back there—at least for a while. There was a big blow up a little while ago. Hildy's got nowhere else to go. I was hoping..."

"Of course she can," Jim's mother said.

Hildy was standing next to his mother and his mother had her arm around her shoulder.

"It must have been serious," Jim's father said.

"Right now it is," Jim said. "Maybe we can patch things up some other time. If she could just..."

"We'll get the spare room ready," his mother said and started leading Hildy into the house, each carrying one of her overnight bags.

Jim and his father stayed behind in the front yard.

"I know that you're going to explain all this," his father said.

"Dad, you told me, yourself, that you could see that Hildy's father is a 'piece of work'."

"Maybe so," his father admitted. "I still want to know the details."

"It was ugly, Dad. That, I will tell you. Trust me on this for tonight and I'll fill you in tomorrow."

Jim's father slapped him on the back and they turned to go inside..

"I'll do that, Jim. I think you rate it. I always expected a lot from you someday. I guess 'someday comes when a man least expects it."

*****************

Jim was up early the next morning, but Hildy was up already. She was helping his mother get breakfast ready. Jim smelled the coffee that had just been brewed and poured himself a cup.

"Hildy can stay with us as long as she wants to," his mother said. "We already talked about it."

"I'll call Darlene when she gets back from vacation," Hildy said. "I don't want to impose."

"I would just relax and see what happens," Jim said. "There'll be a spare bedroom open soon. I'm still planning to leave tomorrow so that I'm ready in Michigan on Monday morning. I have a physical exam scheduled for Monday afternoon."

"You can go," his mother said. "There's nothing for you to do here."

"It looks like Dad is about to be outnumbered."

His mother turned and faced him with her hands on her hips.

"Maybe your father will be happy to have two charming females to wait on him," she said.

"Maybe," Jim conceded with a laugh, "but I doubt it."

"Besides, your brother will be returning soon," his mother reminded him. "This just makes it even."

"Okay, Ma, I surrender," Jim laughed. "I know when I'm licked."

"Well, I refuse to allow Hildy to go back to her father's house in those conditions," his mother pronounced.

Jim knew his mother's tone of voice. It was the one she used when she had made up her mind and no one was going to change it. He knew that Hildy would be living there more than just a few days.

"Hildy told me about the big fight between you and that Randy person," his mother went on.

"It wasn't a fight, Ma; maybe just a war of words."

"Well, Hildy told me it was almost a fight."

"Don't contradict your mother, son, even if you're right, because when she gets like this you know she's not listening."

It was Jim's father who had come downstairs unnoticed.

By that time breakfast was ready and Jim had forgotten that he'd skipped dinner the night before. The French toast went down fast. Hildy and Jim's mother started cleaning up the dishes. Jim and his father were finishing their coffees at the table.

"Do you plan to pick up your rental car at the agency today?" his father asked.

"I've got that covered, Dad," Jim said. "I thought that Hildy could give me a lift in her car."

"Why don't you let me take you?" his father said. "Hildy can stay with your mother so they can plan how they're going to be charming and wait on me after you've gone to Michigan."

"I heard that," his mother piped up, but Jim's father ignored it.

"We can talk over a few things while on the way there," his father said.

Jim knew that by 'a few things' his father meant 'what the hell happened last night'.

"That sounds fine," Jim said. "By the way, do you suppose your could dispose of the Rustmobile while I'm gone? I think just having it towed for scrap would be best. It isn't worth the price of a Want Ad to try to sell it."

The dishes were done and so was Jim's coffee.

"Hildy, why don't we take a walk and work off some of this breakfast?"

They were walking down the road in the suburban tract in a few seconds. There was no one around to hear them. It was like they were in a private room.

"A lot has happened in the past twelve hours," Jim said.

"I know," Hildy said. "Your parents have been very kind to me—a lot different than how my parents treated you."

"Don't worry about it. They like you and are happy to have you stay as long as you want. My mother has a new shopping buddy."

Hildy laughed and grasped Jim's hand as they ambled down the road.

"What did you tell my mother about a fight? There wasn't any fight."

"I was sure there was going to be," Hildy said. "I know my father. That's what he was trying to set up."

"If there had been I would probably be in the hospital now."

"Maybe—maybe not," Hildy said. "I wouldn't count you out. You were very brave for me."

Jim shrugged.

"Hildy, you've got to start thinking about making a better life for yourself," he told her. "To have someone willing to defend you is something you should expect..."

"But no one ever has," she said.

They were quiet for a bit as they walked on.

"Did you tell your parents about what I told you in the park last night?" she asked.

"No, do you want me to?"

"No, I will," she said. "I'll explain it to your mother. I'll do it while you're with your father at the car rental agency."

"She will understand," Jim said, "and she won't make it hard for you."

As they walked they made a bit of small talk. Jim pointed out a few houses where his friends had lived when he was younger. But, he had more on his mind.

"Were you angry that I didn't come up to Rochester sooner than I did?"

"Not angry," she said, "but I was hoping to have more time together.

"I have to be honest, Hildy. It was true that I was waiting for the company credit card. But there was something else. I was excited by this new project. I was glad, in a way, to have the time at school to get a head start on it. I realized it when I got stuck in that traffic jam in Phelps last night."

"I thought it might be something like that," she answered.

"Now that you know that, does it make you angry?" he asked. "There might be more times like that. Will you get fed up and decide you can't take it anymore?"

Hildy stopped walking. She turned and looked at Jim.

"I know what you're asking. The answer is 'no'. I'm not angry. I can't be angry at you for being who you are. I just want you to let me know where I stand and not forget me."

"Forgetting you would not be possible, Hildy. And it wouldn't always be like I said—just from time to time. You could live with that?"

Hildy started to tear up and Jim wondered if they should continue their talk at another time. But he rejected that idea. They were in too deep to stop.

"I once told you that I would live with you in a cardboard box, Jim. I didn't mean it just that way. I understand what you're all about. I could never call it quits with you, especially after last night."

"But would you be happy?" Jim asked.

"I just answered you," she replied. "You're just asking the same question in different ways and I'm giving you the same answer."

Jim had to chuckle to himself.

"You're a lot smarter than your father gives you credit," Jims said.

"Depends on the subject," Hildy replied.

They walked along a bit further and then Jim stopped in his tracks and Hildy stopped with him. He turned and faced her.

"Hildy, I guess I have to come out with it. I spent the whole night thinking about this instead of sleeping."

"Yes?" she said, and gasped in a breath.

"I was going to wait until Christmas to ask you," Jim said, "but after everything that happened last night it seems like it would better this way. I'm hoping you'll say 'yes'," he said.

"I'm listening," she said, and Jim could see she was trembling and her grasp on his hand became stronger.

"I'd like for us to get married when I get back from Michigan in August," he said. "What do you say?"

She let out her breath and her eyes were sparkling in the way he liked. He knew her answer before she said it.

"My answer is 'yes'," she said as she wiped a tear off of her cheek.

She hugged him hard and they nearly lost their balance, standing in the middle of the quiet road. She kissed him, and Jim let her kiss him long and slow. The neighbors would just have to see what they were going to see.

They broke the kiss at last, but Hildy was still holding onto him.

"Of course it's 'yes'. It could never be anything but 'yes—and you'll never be sorry".

TO BE CONTINUED

12