Heart of Stone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you know where they were?" She was leaning forward now, curious.

"I know the names of the families who were protecting them." His eyes were narrowed.

"Then we can probably find them, so you'll know they still exist at least."

"You believe you can do this?" He looked as if he wasn't quite sure whether or not to believe her. Mary smiled shyly.

"I don't know anything about spells or magic, but I grew up in a house where everything was a secret and asking questions was a sin. So I got to be very good at finding the answers on my own. It probably won't be easy or quick, but I don't think it's impossible either. That is, if you'll trust me."

"I trusted your ancestors with my very existence, I will trust you with this." He smiled and dictated a list of eight names. Mary wrote them quickly and then checked the spelling. "There are several others, but they evade me."

"I'll start with these. When you think of the others, I'll add them." He got up and Mary jumped to her feet as well.

"I still make you nervous child." He said softly.

"I was always told that magic wasn't real and gargoyles were just stone decorations on buildings. I'm still getting used to all of this." He stroked her cheek softly with his thumb and again Mary was amazed by the delicate touch of such a wicked looking talon.

"I would stay to further allay your fears but I must feed after my long sleep." He was looking down on her, his thumb still stroking her cheek lightly.

"What do you eat, exactly?" All manner of things ran through her head, including visions of villagers storming the Hall with torches. He smiled broadly, revealing the sharp canines as well as a number of other pointed teeth.

"There are still deer on the estate, are there not?" He asked.

"Yes, quite a number of them, according to Mr. March." She said, feeling her heart settle again.

"Then you will have one less in the morning. I will remain on the balcony when I return, I know you need to rest and I will not intrude into your bedchamber." Mary nodded, barely able to form words. He strode out into the darkness and she closed the doors behind him shutting out the rain and chill.

12