Heart of Stone Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why are they here?" Stuart looked at Aiden and Esme.

"Because-" Mary started.

"What kind of a ridiculous question is that?" Veronica asked.

"I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all." Andy said. "The fact of the matter is, neither one of them has any say in what we do."

"It's their culture!" Mary said.

"Culture? They lived in herds and learned to mimic our language. Parrots do the same thing. You wouldn't bring your pet macaw into a discussion like this." Andy crossed his legs and his arms and ignored the barrage of outraged shouting that began.

"Herds?" Aiden's booming baritone silenced everyone. More than one person shifted nervously in his or her chair. "Do you have any idea what your kind was doing when we were perfecting the art of creating and using steel for tools and adornments?" Andy stammered and searched for a response.

"You were living in trees and picking fleas off of each other. You were hairy, nonverbal beasts that knew no more of culture or language than the chair you sit on does." Aiden said.

"You're trying to tell me that YOU were here first?" He laughed derisively. "Sounds like you're grasping at straws."

"No," Robbie said. "He isn't. If you ever read the history, you would have known that. If you have anything else insulting to say I suggest you get it over with so that we can get down to serious discussion." Almost everyone was glaring at Andy, even Ron. Mary was slightly surprised by that, and she wondered if he had his own reasons. Silence fell over the room.

"Nothing else?" He glanced around. "Good. The way I see it, we have two issues. We know that we can wake all of the others, that's off the table. By waking the gargoyles we expose ourselves to the same kind of danger that froze them to begin with. I know we're all defended, but on our own we stand no chance against our enemy, and neither do the ones we shelter. The other issue is with the gargoyles themselves, that's why Mary and I needed Aiden and Esme to be involved in this discussion."

"You and Mary discussed this already?" Quentin asked curiously.

"I didn't need all of you with me to take the air this morning. I'm not quite that frail yet." Veronica said. Several people chuckled.

"I wanted Mary to be prepared for all of your questions and ideas." Robbie said. "Hopefully you'll all forgive me for the deception." He faced Aiden and Esme. "Getting back to the second issue, we don't want the others to feel as though they're alone in the world with only human beings to look to for everything, but by the same token, it isn't up to us to decide where and how the others live. What little I know of gargoyle culture says that your kind are as social as humans are, so keeping all of you together in one place would seem to be the best idea. We know that there are complicating factors in that as well."

"I don't think we can answer the first question until we've addressed the second." Ramona said.

"Agreed." Nigel nodded.

"Let's be clear on our options first." Gordon said. "Aiden and Esme would continue to live here and the others would live on their respective estates, or they would all live here?"

"Or I suppose they could split into two groups. Some here, some elsewhere." Quentin added.

"We must be one clan, that is the only way we will survive this transition." Aiden said. His voice was calmer. "We have never lived as individuals scattered about the countryside, we do not know how to manage under those conditions."

"You made yourself at home here with Mary." Alex said.

"I did, though I had a rather large advantage that the others will not have. Because of the enchantment, I learned your language. I was well-informed about the changes in the world long before I ever saw it. When I did wake, Mary was there. She accepted me, and protected me from the beginning. I know the others will not have the advantage of language or knowledge about this age. Because of that, even if you are all as open and accepting as Mary was, I do not think that the others will be able to adjust as well with human contact alone." He took Mary's hand and looked into her eyes. "I do not mean any of that as a slight."

"I didn't hear it that way." She smiled at him. Mary often worried about Aiden not having anyone of his own kind to spend time with. Much as she loved him, she wasn't certain how she would manage if the situation had been reversed.

"I thought not all the clans were friendly with each other." Caroline said.

"They are not, under normal circumstances, but these are hardly normal circumstances." Aiden explained. "If they are awakened in the right order, with the right intervention at the very beginning, I believe that we can become one clan."

"Well, that's a lovely thought, but how is that going to be accomplished? Moving statues around costs a great deal of money." Stuart asked. "Financially, the only thing that makes sense is that each gargoyle stays with each one of us. Besides, that was the point of familial alliances."

"Financially?" Mary was shocked he would even bring up money as a concern.

"Yes. I thought you Americans loved to talk about money."

"You're the one who brought it up." Mary said. "Besides, even if Aiden didn't believe that one clan was best, there's still the problem of secrecy. So far we've been lucky. Very few people know, and the ones who do have kept silent. The more scattered the others are, the greater the number of people who will have to know. The chances of the secret coming out before we're ready goes up exponentially."

"Who says we're ever going to tell anyone?" Ron looked horrified by the concept.

"How can we keep it to ourselves?" Veronica asked.

"We're getting ahead of ourselves." Robbie said. "We will have to discuss how and when this all becomes public, but for right now I think we'll do better to stick with the topics at hand."

"I think secrecy is a valid point." Quentin said. "And I think it dovetails with your first point about protection. I know our friend doesn't rely on the news media for his insights, but I think maintaining secrecy on our end will force him to tread lightly as well."

"I agree, the last thing we need is a public battle." Nigel nodded.

"That doesn't address the logistical question." Stuart pressed. "The others simply are spread out in different locations. What are we to do? Make a tour of the countryside waking each one in turn? Won't that be more of a threat of exposure as Aiden and the new one come flying back here?"

"Out of the question." Nigel said. "All that traveling would be far too stressful for Mary."

"So she can stay a few days at each home." Stuart shrugged.

"I will not be separated from Mary." Aiden said. "And I will not allow her to take unnecessary chances with her own health or the health of the child. I worry that simply waking the others will be too much."

Ron opened his mouth to say something, then thought better of it. He looked away.

"Look, the simple facts are escaping us. The others aren't here, they aren't even all in one place." Alex said.

"I had Esme moved here. The others could be moved here as well." Mary said. Alex gave a short, derisive laugh.

"And you would, of course, expect us to pay for this." He said.

"Is that all you ever think about?" Veronica asked.

"Perhaps you have pots of money stashed away, but not all of us do." Alex said.

"Oh for heaven's sake, do you really think that anyone is going to put you in the poorhouse over this?" Veronica shot back.

"From a defensive perspective, having them all here makes the most sense." Quentin said. "GETTING them here, seems to leave us terribly exposed."

"Quentin is right." Nigel said. "At least we all provide some measure of protection on our own land. Once they leave our land, we lose all control." The others reluctantly had to agree.

"Not if the truck is a protected environment as well." Mary said.

"Do you know what it takes to create defenses that move with an object?" David asked incredulously. Everyone was looking at her curiously.

"Why are you all looking at me like that? I did it when I brought Esme here. The delivery company came here with their truck to look at the place I wanted to put her, so while they were talking about how to make it work I enchanted the truck. I was afraid that something would happen in transit, though. I suppose I could modify it a bit."

"A bit?" Alex said.

"How do you know it even worked?" Andy asked.

"I felt the enchantment leave with the truck, and it returned when the truck came back." Mary said.

"Nothing against your abilities Mary, but mobile protection is never as sure as protection of a place." Quentin said.

"But it does require someone to be in the same physical place as the enchanted object before one can even attempt to break the spell." Ramona said. "How many associates does our friend have?"

"It used to be as many as we had. Over the years though, his ego has grown and his circle has narrowed." Robbie said. "From what I understand, they're relatively weak without him to focus their abilities as a unit."

"We could overwhelm him." Veronica said thoughtfully.

"Explain, please." Quentin said.

"If we could arrange for transport of the others on the same day, at around the same time, he'll have to choose one or let all of them pass." Veronica explained.

"Meaning we get to control the timing of the confrontation." Robbie smiled a little. "Aiden, is bringing the others here as soon as possible something that would work for you?"

"Yes, it will." He nodded.

"Will my defenses here withstand his group's assaults? Right now, they don't have as much reason to get in as they will then." Mary asked.

"They will, once we all help you strengthen them even further." Robbie smiled.

"Aiden," Nigel started. "I don't mean for this to sound indelicate, and I hope you're not offended." Aiden nodded. "You said earlier that not all of the clans were friendly when you were frozen, what's to keep them from destroying their frozen enemies?"

"That is a question I have considered as well. Part of our oral tradition is a tale of a gargoyle named Jerel who convinced a human wizard to enchant him so that he could see the world in the daylight." All eyes were on Aiden. "As soon as the others of his clan were sleeping for the day, he went into an enemy clan's territory and destroyed as many of them as he could find. When his chieftain awoke the next night, Jerel told him proudly of his great deed. Far from being pleased with Jerel's ingenuity, his clan leaders turned him over to the few who remained of the enemy clan."

"What did they do?" Robbie asked.

"What we do to all cowards. Jerel was tortured to death, the peace accords between the two clans were written in his blood. It is the only tradition that we have to rely on. I believe that the newly awakened will look to those of us who were restored earlier for guidance, but I can give no assurances beyond that." Aiden said.

"Then it sounds as though the decision has been made." Robbie said. "The remaining gargoyles will be brought here on the same day and as close to the same time as possible."

"The cost-" Alex began.

"The cost can be distributed between all of us on a sliding scale." Robbie said. There was a slightly disgusted sound in his voice.

"That's easy for you to say, you no longer have one." Alex countered. Esme gasped, she asked Aiden something in their own language. All eyes were on her.

"Esme did not know of this loss." Aiden said. Robbie told the story and Aiden relayed it, along with Robbie's apology.

"My family and I have been a part of this from the beginning, and I'll do all I can to see it through to the end." Robbie said.

Assignments were given to research to see how quickly this could be pulled together. Ramona volunteered to check with her cousin, who owned a fleet of trucks. They agreed that beginning with someone who was probably friendly to their cause was the best idea. They also agreed to meet again in a week to figure out further logistics. Even though it was late, several people said their goodbyes and left. Everyone else seemed to be as tired as Mary was. No one complained when she said her goodnights, and went upstairs.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Mary was curled up with a book in the sitting room. Aiden had told her before she even left the conservatory that Esme wanted to talk to her about something, but she had changed into a comfortable nightgown. She had been putting off buying anything new, but just about all of her clothes were plainly uncomfortable now. Unless she wanted to walk around in her nightclothes from now until the baby was born, she was going to have to get a few things to wear in the interim. A leathery flapping on the balcony signaled Aiden and Esme's arrival.

"Child?" He called.

"In the sitting room." She called back. She closed the book and wrapped the throw from the back of the sofa around herself.

Esme came in first, carrying a bowl that Mary recognized as coming from the kitchen. She held it out to Mary.

"Gift." She was smiling.

"For me?" Mary took the bowl. It was full of a waxy white substance. There was a lovely fresh scent emanating from it. She held it up to her nose and inhaled, trying to determine exactly what herbs she was smelling. "It smells wonderful, what is it?" Aiden translated. Esme was silent for a minute, clearly trying to find English words for what she wanted to say. Finally she gave up and told Aiden.

"She says that it is a lotion that you rub into the skin of your stomach when you wake and before you sleep. It will help your skin to stretch without marking as the child grows." Aiden said.

"Thank you." Mary smiled.

"Welcome." Esme said. She said something to Aiden.

"When you would like more, let her know and she will make it for you." He said.

12