He's Not What You Think Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Cap007
Cap007
19 Followers

"Cathy? Practice date?" she mumbles, looking down thinking well I guess it, maybe.... Maybe it makes sense. How can a man like him be intimidated about asking a woman out on a date? "What do you have in mind for this practice date?" Linda asks, looking up. Tilting her head she notices Cathy behind him strolling their in direction.

"Well... I was thinking of taking her hiking." He shrugs looking down. "It's something I like to do. I know it's probably not what Cathy would consider a date, but it would at least give us time to talk."

"That would be perfect," Linda replies with a grin, thinking She'll want to kill you by the end of the day. "Make sure you tell her that you are making the plans, or she will take over. When are you going to ask her?"

"Really?" Michael smiles at Linda's approval. "I'll ask her when I see her, and suggest going hiking next Saturday."

"I am sure she will go for it. In fact, here she is," Linda smiles, pointing behind him. He is acting like a boy asking out a girl for the first time; cute, but strange. Linda leans in, whispering, "Oh, do not use the word practice date. Just tell her you are doing this to get to know each other. Which is true." I wonder how this is going to turn out?

Cathy strolls up, her eyes boring into Linda's trying to read her mind, wondering why she is whispering to Michael while looking at her. "Hey, what's going on?"

Michael turns, moving to stand a few inches away, face-to-face with Cathy. His soft hands grasp and gently caress hers. She feels his warm breath, and smells it's minty aroma. Cathy is surprised and happy with Michael's actions today, thinking he is much different away from work. She looks down at their hands before looking into his eyes with an ample smile. Feeling his thumbs rubbing the tops of her hands causes her usual lusty stare to be replaced with a relaxing gaze, "How are you enjoying the party?"

Michael slightly tilts his head noticing something different in Cathy's eyes and expression, something nice. "It's a great party. I have been talking with Linda, and she agrees with me. I would like us to spend next Saturday together to get to know each other. I was thinking--"

"Yes," Cathy replies with a smile, almost bouncing, and continues in an upbeat tone, "That would be great. We can--"

Michael laughs, "I'm asking you out. So, I will be making the plans." He puts his arm through hers with a jovial reply, "Come on, I'll tell you what I have in mind."

Cathy looks back at Linda with a smile, raising her shoulders mouthing thank you. Linda smiles and nods her head thinking how could Michael be so insecure... about a date?

Chapter 6 - Sort of a Date

"Hey Bill," Michael shakes the paw of the tall round park ranger with gray hair. "This is Cathy, we are going to B4112. Probably be out there all day. Is anyone else out that way?"

Bill moves from Michael's hand to Cathy's, wrapping her hand in a firm but gentle shake. "Cathy, it's nice to meet you. You're the first person I have seen Michael bring up here that isn't a group of kids, fifteen and under." Bill, scratching his chin and puckers his lips, "He's taking you to B4112. Has he told you about the place?"

Cathy drops her hand onto the counter with a raised brow and low voice, "No... why?"

A corner of Bill's mouth raises his and eyes lighten, "It's a little difficult to get to and secluded. Did you bring a bathing suit with you?"

"Yes, as I was instructed by him." Cathy balls her fists pointing her thumb at Michael. "He told me a list of stuff I needed then checked to see if I had everything." Cathy rolls her eyes, "Like I didn't listen."

"Well, not many people are out here today, to answer your questions Michael. You'll have the place to yourself," Bill rubs his chin smiling. "You, young lady, won't need the suit." His index finger shoots up, and he raises his voice continuing to smile, "However, this is a state park. We do not allow that type of behavior." He mockingly turns to Michael. "Right."

Cathy looks down amused, replying softly, "He wishes."

"Yes, Right. Who's on duty today?" Michael interjects, steering the conversation away from its present path.

"Just me and Oscar, keep your radio on just in case."

"You know I always do." Michael reaches into his pocket, "Here are my keys. See you this evening."

"Have fun," Bill laughs. "Remember what I said. We don't allow that type of behavior," as he winks at Cathy making the red in her cheeks rise.

Michael and Cathy walk through the door squinting, putting a hand up to shield their eyes from the sun. Walking forward to the welcome shade of the trees, Michael adjusts his backpack, making it bounce a few times on his back, then points north. "We are going to be walking towards those mountains for a little less than an hour on the trail, and about twenty minutes off the trail. So, I figure we can walk and talk. What would you like to talk about?" He asks as he starts down the trail. "Linda tells me that you don't lie. I've learned you speak your mind."

Cathy puts her remaining arm through the strap, wiggling to adjust to the new experience of the small pack, then skips forward to catch Michael. "Linda told me that you seemed to be honest when you two talked. So, you'll be honest with me?"

"Of course, I won't lie to you, and I hope you do the same."

"Okay..." Cathy turns her head to ask, "Why won't you talk to me at work?"

"Well," Michael looks ahead at the shaded dirt trail. "My dad, at an early age, drummed in my head 'Work is work. Not a place to goof off. You get paid to work. Make sure you do.' It stuck."

Cathy's happy to hear that she's not the reason replies, "That explains the difference between work and the party." Cathy looks at the trees along the path then turns, looking over her shoulder at the fading ranger station. "What do you think is my prettiest feature?" She asks smirking. "I think your eyes are yours."

Michael stops at the bend on the trail and grabs Cathy's hand, gently pulling her to a stop. She turns as Michael brings a hand up to cup her cheek, moving his thumb to feel her silky skin. He looks down. Inch by inch he raises his head. His eyes look but his mind takes in her firm legs, the subtle curve of her hips, her inviting breasts, her smooth taut skin, and light tan. His eyes stop, looking into her anticipating gaze. "Thank you. I also think your eyes," Michael answers in a smooth low voice. "Your eyes are full of life. They can make a man quiver with desire. If I stare at them too long, they can bring me to my knees. If you haven't noticed, I turn away a lot. It's your fault." Michael smiles thinking that must have sounded corny. Eh, that's who I am.

Cathy's mouth partly opens, closes, and then opens again. She's lost in the sincerity of Michael's eyes. She's unable to respond with words. She was expecting to hear legs, butt, body, tits, face, even eyes the norm. But, the way he phrased it caught her off guard. The way the words glided to her ears and the compassion in his eyes make her a little unsteady. She leans forward with a desire to touch his lips with hers. But, she's stopped.

Michael inches his hand from Cathy's cheek, placing two fingers on her soft moist lips. He runs his tongue along his parted lips, "Not here. Let's get to where we're going, and we'll see what happens. We'll do it my way."

Cathy pulls her head back flustered. She blurts out, "What... your way? I know how to kiss." She stands fast placing her hands on her hips glaring at Michael looking for an answer.

Michael takes in Cathy's curious stare, and decides to walk away like nothing happened. He yells back over his shoulder, "come on, we've only just started the trek, we need to get..."

Michael voice fades as Cathy watches him hiking down the trail. She stomps off after him mad that he is overlooking her invitation. "What makes you think I'll want to kiss you when we get to where ever we are going?"

Michael lips turn up, thinking back to all the times Cathy just looks at him with that same questioning stare. During those times, he inwardly scolds himself wonder why do I always want to touch you? I need to keep my distance and my head on straight. No more touching. Once she catches up, he asks a little annoyed, "Cathy why do you always do that? You start talking then just stare at me. You've done it a few times now."

Cathy huffs, "I do not. If you didn't notice, I was going to kiss you. But, that won't be happening now." Cathy walks next to Michael thinking of the next question she has been wanting to ask since she first met him. Nervous to hear the answer, apprehensively she asks, "Why do you look at me like I'm a snake ready to strike, or someone that is going to do something to you? I feel bad, and I don't know why. You don't always do it, but I've noticed."

Michael stops again. Cathy does the same turning to him with a questioning frown. Michael attentive to her glare runs his fingers through his hair letting out a breath, "If I have done that, I am sorry. I would never want you to think that, it's just that..." He snaps his mouth shut looking towards the winding trail. His brow wrinkles and responds little aggravated, "We need to keep walking, or we'll never get there. Stopping is slowing us down."

"Hey," Cathy replies aggravated, "don't try to blame stopping on me." Cathy crosses her arms over her chest and continues, "You're the one that keeps stopping."

Michael rolls his eyes, his lips bunching together. "Come on. Cathy I hardly know you, and you're already driving me crazy." He starts down the path, again.

Cathy following Michael replies with an aggravated voice, "Good, you've been driving me crazy for months. So, why do you look at me like that?" Cathy notices Michael is about to stop. She throws up her hand, pointing towards the trail. "No, no, no, keep walking. Don't try to blame me for stopping. You're the one who said we could walk and talk. I'm not going to stop asking until I get my answer, by the way."

Michael slows down almost stopping then increases his pace hearing Cathy's argument. He lets out a deep breath, "You know you can be very aggravating." His head drops, looking down wishing the warm breeze would carry away the uneasy feelings. How in the hell did I think this wouldn't come up? I wasn't planning on this. Do I tell her I stop myself from reaching out and touching her every time I see her? Or, do I tell her I want to run away. Why does she need to know? I hate talking about my feelings, especially these. Michael replies stumped, "I would rather not say. I don't want you to take it the wrong way or hurt your feelings."

"I don't think we know each other well enough to hurt the other's feelings. Now out with it," Cathy replies, wondering what he could say to hurt her feelings. I don't have feelings for him. Maybe a little curious, so how could he hurt something that is not there? No, I just want to know why he's not like all the other guys. She lets out a quiet "hum, Feelings?"

Michael sighs, and says to himself, I should tell her. I want her to know who I am. That will be enough to scare her away, or at least she'll understand why I just can't. Michael shoulders sag, and he frowns looking at her, "Alright, don't take this the wrong way." Seeing her nod, and her determined stare, he continues, "Cathy, I see you as if you are an angel gracing me with your presence. I think you are beautiful. But, your looks remind me of my ex fiancée. She was shorter, but has that same sultry strut, air of confidence, blonde hair, blue eyes, and a body that every man wanted, and had." Michael looks down slowing his walk. He sighs continuing in a crackled voice, "She cheated on me, more than once, and it tore me apart." He puts a hand on his sternum taking a deep breath, "I thought my heart was ripped out of my chest. It was a mental nightmare." Michael pauses trying to focus ahead through watery eyes. Painfully he continues, "I'm scared of you. At times I want to touch you, and at times I want to run from you. I have heard how your boyfriends end up. I've been there. I won't go there, again." This, Michael thinks, is why I like talking with Linda. We don't talk about the hard stuff, relationships and feelings.

Cathy's jaw drops. He sees me as an angel? she questions herself in disbelief. She runs Michael's answer through her mind, again. No wait, a fallen angel, a demon ripping the heart out of my lover? No, that's not the way it is. What does he know about my boyfriends? I was their latest conquest. They didn't want me for me. They desired everything they got. Could I really do that to Michael? Cathy looks down and sternly says aloud, "Michael, I am not her."

"Cathy, are you wearing new hiking boots?"

"Yes why?" Cathy looks at him with quizzical eyes, tilting her head.

"Your feet are going to be killing you by the end of the day. I should have told you to wear something different. Cathy, you're not into hiking. Why'd you come today?"

"Linda warned me that you would try and change the subject. Answer my questions and I will answer yours."

"I answered your questions," Michael huffs. "Why did you come?"

"No you didn't. Let me rephrase the question. Michael, do you know I am not your ex? What's her name?"

"Yes, I know you are not Tina," Michael smirks, "Happy?"

"No, because I don't believe you. You said you wouldn't lie," Cathy bears down with her piercing blue eyes.

"Cathy, I told you I wouldn't lie. I know you are not Tina. But, you look like her. Your relationships end up like mine did with her."

"I never cheated on any of my idiot boyfriends. Do you know the men, no boys, I went out with? Do you know how they acted? What they expected. How they think a woman should be treated? They deserve what they got," Cathy's lower lip quivers taking in a rushed breath.

Getting worked up, Cathy's forehead wrinkles, and her hands ball into fists thinking about her past, "Now, you're using your past experience, as awful as it may have been, and my past history... Which by the way, you don't know all the facts to judge me. You're comparing me to your ex Tina even though you said quote, 'You hardly know me.' You're an ass. All I have ever been to you is nice. You're acting like the men I went out with, judging me, instead of knowing me." Her heated voice rises, "I came out here, even though this is not what I consider fun, to get to know you. Now, I know you are a judging asshole just like the rest." Cathy scowls, "Why don't we just go back. I know everything I need to know."

Michael stops, and crossing his arms looking into Cathy's glowered stare, "Are we not suppose to learn from the past?" Michael's upset unsure what he expected from his or her answer, not that she may be right. No, I know enough.

"Yes," Cathy almost yells back, "learn from the past! Not live in the past! Not to be scared of the future, but learn to avoid those pitfalls in the future."

Michael scowls at her piercing stare, "You're doing the same thing. You act like you want to know me. I'm your typical type. What is it? A bad boy? You're no different. I'm the one learning from my past."

"Bull shit!" Cathy yells, one hand pointing a shaking finger in Michael's face. She holds the urge to knock some sense into him with the other hand. "Linda told me you were different, not like the normal boys I go out with and suggested I 'should just forget about you.' Everyone else told me you're such a nice guy not my usual. Boy, you got them all fooled." A tear of rage begins tumbling down her cheek as she continues, "I am moving forward, trying something different from my past."

Michael stands still, arms across his chest, unable to reply to the outburst. He runs his hands through his hair then drops them to his side grinding his teeth. Fuck, is she right? The questions start to flash like lightning in his mind. Do I have this all wrong? Am I being an ass? He watches Cathy turn around, walking off stating 'I want to leave. I don't want to be here.' Did I really give her a chance? Did I let everyone else's opinions sway my thoughts? Did I learn from my past, or run from it? "Shit! Cathy wait!"

Michael runs to stand in front of Cathy making her stop. In a calm rage looking down, Cathy only says, "MOVE." She folds her arms looking to her side. She can't believe she's so upset with him or herself. Why should I care what he thinks? she thinks to herself. He's the first man to tell me... He actually told me what he thought. Why did it hurt and make me so mad? He could have been a little nicer about it. I can't believe I'm crying. Her swirling thoughts fuel the heat in her flush appearance, and her eyes water.

Michael takes his backpack off setting it down. He puts a hand under her chin noticing the flexing muscles of her jaw as he tries to face her. He watches her move her head to the side avoiding his touch, then wipe away a tear before returning her arm to her chest. Michael takes in a sharp breath, feeling as if his heart is being squeezed. His rib cage tightens by an emotional force of his own making. He's not surprised she is stubborn and refuses to look at him. He admires her fortitude, yet is determined to break through the wall of defiance.

He puts his hands on her shoulder, removing her backpack and placing it on the ground beside her feet. He watches her arms return to their folded revolt, her jaw muscles flexing faster. He places his hands back on her shoulder, gently rubbing, speaking in a soft tone, "Cathy, please look at me. You should know..." Michael stops, waiting for her to look him in the eyes.

Cathy surprises herself by replying in a low grumble, "What?" She continues to look down to the side waiting for an answer, "I should know what?" She asks again. Not hearing an answer, she snaps her head up to look at Michael, "WHAT!"

Michael seeing the pain in her eyes, frowns, "Cathy, I am sorry. I am so sorry for upsetting you. You may be, could be, and sort of be... right." His shoulders slump, "Please forgive me for being naive. I've never talked to anyone about my ex, and what she did to me. I knew it would be painful. I may have taken that out on you, or judged you unfair. You've made me open my eyes, or at least crack them open." Michael starts inching closer, "Please don't hurt me." Michael says, wrapping his arms around her.

Cathy moves to get comfortable. Still fuming, she takes her arms from her chest to wrap them around him and rests her head on his shoulder, letting out a quivering breath. Michael's gentle hand rubs her back making her relax. She can't help but feel safe in his arms even though she's still upset. She knows, or at least hopes, he didn't mean to hurt hear. She thinks, I would need feeling to allow that to happen.

Michael's warm breath tickles her ear, "Cathy I'm sorry. Can we start over? No expectations, no preconceived notions of the other. We'll get to know each other today. Let's just try not to kill each other." Michael chuckles in her ear and kisses her temple. Cathy feels as if a weight has been lifted from her tormented being with that single statement 'No expectations, no preconceived notions.'

Cathy sighs, "Okay, I am sorry also. We have a do over."

She grins releasing the pressure on his heart. Michael can't believe how relieved he feels by hear one word, 'Okay.'

They stay in each other's arms for a few more minutes regaining their emotional strength. Michael pulls back to look at Cathy, "Let's get going I want you to see this place you're going to love it. But one thing first." Michael turns and kneels down next to his pack. He pulls out a washcloth and bottle of water. He soaks the washcloth, rings it out, and stands facing Cathy. He uses the washcloth to lightly wipe her face staring into her eyes and smiling. "I'm glad you didn't wear make-up. You look so much better without it."

Cap007
Cap007
19 Followers