Highland Magic Ch. 07

Story Info
Sunrises in the Highlands.
1.4k words
4.73
20k
4

Part 7 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cien didn't see Rose the rest of the day, but looked forward to it at sup. He found himself down at the lake, shaving his scruff off, and bathing in the cold water. As he walked up the hill to the holding, he stopped completely in his tracks when he realized he was whistling. Frowning, he continued on, careful not to whistle or smile anymore.

He sat in the lairds chair for Sup and stared up at the steps leading to the great hall. She didn't appear. He kept staring until he saw Tilda rushing down the steps, her newly washed and cut hair bouncing a long as she came toward him. She stopped close to him and leaned down to his ear.

"The lady does not feel well, Cien. I fear she has caught a fever." Cien stood quickly.

"A fever? I should send Maggie to tend to her." But Tilda just shook her head.

"She insists she is fine, Cien, but wishes to rest tonight and not sup in the hall." Cien stared at Tilda as he weighed her words. She had never lied to him before, and he had no reason to believe she had lied to him now. He gave a stiff nod, and sat back down at the table. When Tilda was gone back up to Lady Rose's chamber, Cien began to eat.

"And where is the Lady Rose, Laird?" Alex asked politely as he ate a fresh apple.

"She does not feel well. Tilda fears she may have the fever. But we shall see how the lady feels on the morrow." Alex nearly dropped his apple in his lap.

"The fever? And you plan to let her stay here? Cien, what if it gets passed around? Last winter ten younglings caught fever and died. You can't be serious to let her stay here-" Cien raised a brow and Alex closed his mouth.

"I am the Laird Alex. I fought for that right and title. If you would like the title, I would be happy to fight you for it?"

Alex and Cien both knew that Cien was the better soldier, the better fighter. Straightening his shoulders, Alex shook his head. "I did not mean it as a challenge, cousin. I truly did not." Cien didn't look at him again as he continued to eat his food.

When the rest of the clan had bedded down for the night, and were snoring contentedly in the great hall, Cien was still awake and sitting in the Laird's chair. Something didn't sound right about what Tilda said, he thought. Something was... off. He didn't know how to explain what he knew was true, only that he knew that it was.

Standing, he walked to the stairs and climbed them effortlessly. Crossing quickly to her chamber, he raised his hand to knock, and stopped. What the hell had gotten into him? It was late, and she was likely asleep, especially if she were truly ill. Feeling like a cad, he turned away and strode to his chamber down the hall.

He opened the door and closed it quietly, not wanting to wake up the Lady Rose down the hall. Stripping down, he crawled into bed and prepared himself for a night of restlessness.

~~~~~~~~~

I sat in a the chair I pulled to the window, wrapped in a blanket pulled from the bed. The sky was becoming a light blue as the sun lightened the horizon in the East. The fire in the room had gone out long ago, and not wanting to stoke it or rekindle it, I let it die. I could hear the first stirrings of chickens sqwaking. The Frasers would be waking soon.

I looked to the bed where Tilda slept, covered to her chin in thick blankets. She looked so young and so peaceful. I wonder what will happen to her when I'm gone.... I stopped the thoughts before they could continue. Stop thinking like that, I scolded myself.

I shivered under the blanket, and it wasn't from the cold. I thought about the cold reality of Alex's words. Witches were still being burned at the stake at this time in history, I knew. And if Alex had as much power over the Laird as he thought he did, then I was going to burn. I pulled the blankets tighter against me, and stood.

I walked out of the chamber, being careful to quietly close the door behind me. Tilda should get all the sleep she could. Walking down the steps quickly, I stopped when I saw all the sleeping soldiers. They were snoring loudly and grumbling. I walked to the front door and opened it. Stepping outside, I forgot all about closing the door.

I wanted to see the sun rise. It may be my last, I thought desperately as I ran through the court yard to the hill I had found myself on the day before. Stopping at the top, I could see the mountains to the East and the sun slowly rising behind them. I wrapped the blanket more securely around my body, and watched in awe. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.

"You will catch your death in that, Lady Rose."

I jumped and whirled around. Cien stood a few feet behind me, watching my face quietly. Unconsciously I pulled the blanket tighter to heed his words. I stared up at him, the forgotten sunrise behind me. The sunlight played in his hair showing streaks of red in the brown richness of his hair. I almost reached out to finger a lock of the red shining at me, but caught myself. He would think I was overly bold, and then see me as a witch, I thought dismally.

My smile fell as I stared at him not as the man I wanted to fall in love with, but as my executioner. He must have noticed my change in disposition, because he took a step forward and began to lift his hand. I dropped my head and moved away. "My lord, I think I should be getting back to my chamber." I whispered. Cien didn't say anything for a long time. When I looked up at him, I forced a small smile. His frown should have been able to knock a tree down. "Is there any thing the matter, my Lord?"

Cien shook his head and moved to the side, allowing me to pass. I didn't breathe my sigh of relief until I was well past him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cien watched her leave. There was something going on. He could feel it now. When he had heard her chamber door open, he'd followed her quickly, being quiet so not to scare her. When she'd gone to the hill to watch the sun rise over the ridge, he'd been breathless. Her dark hair shimmered in the morning light, giving the appearance of an halo.

And when she'd first seen him, he was positive, she'd been happy to see him. But after a short moment, she looked as if he were about to pull a battle axe out of his kilt and begin striking her with it. He shook his head. He'd never struck a woman, let alone hurt one, in his life. It was news all over the Highlands. He was considered milk toast by many of his enemies for just that reason.

But she looked as if he were going to kill her.

He turned to the rising sun and watched it rise completely over the ridge. He had to do something to show her he wasn't going to hurt her. Rubbing a hand down his face, he sighed. What the hell was wrong with him. Worried what an insignificant woman thought of him?

She's not insignificant, a voice deep inside him whispered. The voice he'd trained himself to listen to. He cursed, and turned away from the hill. There was only one solution. He had to busy himself with work all day, and ignore the woman.

Yet, as he walked down the hill to the great hall, he knew that was going to be easier said than it was going to be done. With a sigh, he made up his mind.

He was going to be difficult.

*~*~Authors Note~*~* Hey guys, I am sorry the chapters have been so short. Its hard for me to write a long chapter, because I fit so much into such a short amount of space. I will try to make a longer chapter tho. Thank you to all my faithful readers, you know who you are... Texas... anyway :D Thanks for all your support and help, its really made me want to make this story my best ever! *~*~*~