His Marchioness Ch. 01

Story Info
Cassie meets a stranger... or is he?
1k words
4.09
12.8k
6

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/09/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1 – A KNOWN STRANGER

Cassie was pleased with the attention lavished on her by all. It was a bit decadent, but the power she had over these men was a heady thing. Darrin was not here, but she was still enjoying herself.Now only, if Darrin was here – it would be perfect,she thought.

Mark watched her from behind the curtains. He had come in late to the soiree hosted by Lady Cuthbert. Besides he was a mere miser... yet. He had not been announced. Indeed Lady Cuthbert had extended the invitation to him just by virtue of his relation with the Marquess of Bellingham.

Mark shifted his attention to the lady laughing... the sound like small bells jingling at Christmas. The sound still called out to him, just like all those years ago. He was still captivated by the sound of it, just like all those other fops dancing attention upon her. But he knew the truth of her. She like to flirt... liked the power she had over men, over him; but she would never know the extent of her power over him. It was time to move in.

"May I have the pleasure of this dance with you?", Mark said to Cassie as he approached her.

Cassie turned towards him and observed the person who had requested her for a dance. No, he had not requested. He was too sure of himself. He was very striking, more so for the depth in his eyes than the handsomeness of his looks. He had the effrontery to ask her for a dance without the benefit of an introduction. Or perhaps he already knew her, rather he probably knew Isabella. It was tiring at times to live Bella's life.

With a sigh, Cassie accepted his hand and together they descended on the dance floor as the music started playing a Waltz. Cassie wondered about the man she was dancing with.Surely he was a peer of the realm. Who else would dare to approach the daughter of a duke?

Mark looked at the woman in his arms. She was more alluring than ever. There was a certain vulnerability about her now, which drew him to her more than before. To shake himself off it, he fell into their teasing tone of the past and said, "You look well, Marchioness." Cassie realized he must mean someone else. Bella was the daughter of a duke, not the wife of a Marquess. She sought to correct the intriguing stranger, "You are mistaken, my lord! I am not a marchioness."

"And I am not a lord, either... Marchioness!", said he as the dance ended.

Mark escorted Cassie back to where she was standing earlier. Mrs. Weatherland was standing and looking at them, walk towards her. All the while Cassie wondered over the strange conversation she had with this man, about whom she had no idea who he was.

Mark approached Mrs. Weatherland smilingly, kissed her cheek and said, "You still look as pretty as I first saw you, Mrs. W."

"Liar!" said Mrs. Weatherland. But it was clearly evident that the praise had made her happy, while Cassie stared at the man she had danced with and wondered some more about him. He was stiffly formal with her when they began dancing, then he turned teasing and then silent again. Now he was being so nice and warm to the dear old lady, who was her chaperon for the evening. But the same warmth of his eyes went missing as he turned his dark eyes to her. She felt oddly disappointed.

Mark coolly asked her, "How is the duke, my lady?"

Cassie responded amiably, "He is fine." But she wanted him to talk to her as warmly as he had been talking to Mrs. Weatherland.

Mark saw the disappointment in Bella's eyes. For some odd reason he wanted to comfort her. He had to put some distance between her and himself, or he would be subject to her charms yet again. Besides now there was no reason, they had to continue the charade begun by their elders. For the past six years, he had hated the relationship they were both pushed into against their will. But then, why did he feel now that he would lose something important if he walked away today.

Mrs. Weatherland interrupted his chain of thought. "Mark, my boy, you are surely going to come home with us. Alex and Nina would love to see you. It will be a wonderful surprise for them as well as for the duke."

His expression softened as he thought of his niece and nephew. The twins reminded him of Maria and himself when they were naught but kids. The twins were her legacy to him in a way, and he was desperate to see them after this long year apart, specially when he was never going to see Maria again. Before the thought could depress him, he turned to Mrs. Weatherland and asked her,

"How are they, Mrs. Weatherland?"

"Perfect, little monsters! Couldn't be better. Bella looks after them now."

He turned to the other lady. He didn't think that Bella had a motherly bone in her body. But maybe the death of her brother and sister-in-law had brought about this change. To her he raised a brow and said,

"I am impressed, Marchioness."

"I said I am not a Marchioness, my lord.", she gritted her teeth.

"And I said, I am not a lord... Marchioness!", he responded in kind.


This is my first attempt ever to write a story. I have always had these ideas in my head, which I pen down at times. But this is the first time I am putting them up for anyone's comment.

Please let me know what you think of it and if I should write more over here. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Of course all compliments are more than appreciated.

I have 2 other chapters ready, which I will submit if this one gets accepted. The rest will follow.

Thank you!