His Marchioness Ch. 02-03

Story Info
Changing emotions and a daughter found.
1.8k words
4.31
10.1k
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/09/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks for taking the time out to read my story and send comments. I tried following some of your advice. Now I will have to work harder on the other chapters, as these three were ready in my mind -- rest I do not know myself :D"

*

CHAPTER 2 – CHANGING EMOTIONS

Mrs. Weatherland interrupted this heated exchange which she remembered from the past so many years. She reprimanded both the young people whom she loved dearly as her own kids.

"Oh come… come! Everyone knows that as some day you will inherit the titles and estates from your uncle and you will be the next Marquess of Bellingham, Mark. And since you both will be hopefully married by then, Isabella will be the next Marchioness of Bellingham. Quit fighting over this now. It's been six years since you both goad each over this. I go weary of your disgruntlements. You both are aware, there is no escaping this fate of yours. And I must say…"

But Cassie had lost track of what Mrs. Weatherland was saying. The daughter of the Duke of Wellingshire, Isabella was engaged. Isabella or Bella, as most people called her, was engaged to this stranger, no to Mark. His name was Mark and he was the future Marquess of Bellingham. He was also uncle to Alex and Nina. He was the brother of the late daughter-in-law of the Duke, Maria. And he was Bella's fiancé…and in turn her fiancé! How would she ever get out of this!

He didn't seem the kind of person who would let her go easily. But then he also didn't seem keen on marrying her. Maybe, there was still some hope. This brightened her a bit. Yes, she would discuss this with the Duke and … Mark. Surely, there was a way out of all this.

Mark saw the play of emotions on Bella's face. She went from despair to hope to delight. She was a sight to behold when she was delighted. Heck! She was a sight anytime. His thoughts made him wonder, whether he wanted to be free of their imposed relationship. Earlier he was so sure, he wanted nothing to do with her. Now, he wasn't sure anymore. Something had changed in her since the last time he saw her, when his sister and her brother were alive. It was a change for the better. And it was making the task of resisting her difficult.

With an effort, he wasn't aware he would be faced with; he drew his attention to the situation at hand. Mrs. Weatherland was asking him if he was coming to the Duke's Townhouse. He had planned on using his uncle's Townhouse. But he wanted to explore this new side of Bella.

"Of course Mrs. W. I could never refuse you." he said amiably which rather pleased Mrs. Weatherland.

Mark called for the footman and the duke's coach arrived and all three of them left in it, while Mark's own coachman followed behind.

Mark studied the beautiful woman sitting in front of him in the coach. He had despised her all his adult life, not for her beauty, but for her frivolity, her vanity, the way her beauty affected him. But when his uncle gave the directive that he would donate all his monies to charity unless he married the Duke of Wellingshire's only daughter, he had relented.

But that very year he had returned to America at the age of twenty two. He had worked hard over there in trade, unheard of in his family. He never took a break; accept for a yearly visit to his sister's family. But there he was again thrown together with Bella, which encouraged him to go back and work harder. Six years had passed since then and finally his hard work had paid off. Hard work and a stroke of luck last winter had made him richer than his uncle.

He no longer needed to marry Bella to gain a fortune. He had made his own fortune. And this year he had returned to break their long standing engagement. He was sure Bella detested him as much as he detested her or rather he detested her till last year. Now he was not so sure.

Now he wanted to hold her in his arms, he wanted to comfort her, he didn't know for what. She was looking out of the window with a determined expression, as if she could take on the world. He wanted to take on the world for her. What was happening to him! Earlier also he used to get affected by her beauty, but it was lust mostly. Now he felt protective of her. He wanted to tackle all her demons. These emotions were new to him.

Cassie was thinking of what she would do in her future. Suddenly she thought of how lonely she was. The thought made her slump her shoulders with a sigh.

"A penny for your thoughts, Marchioness." Mark interrupted her reverie when he saw her become despondent.

Startled, Cassie turned toward him. He had noticed her sigh, she knew. "Nothing, my lord. I am just tired." she said. She looked down again.

Mark looked at her fallen face and it brought out those protective urges in him again. Not knowing how to handle his new emotions, he looked away. He noticed Mrs. Weatherland was asleep; her mouth open. He felt a fly could go inside it, lay eggs and come out and she wouldn't realize. The thought made him chuckle.

"I didn't know that my being tired would amuse you so much." said Cassie as she heard him laugh. The sound somehow pleased her and it as if lifted a burden off her shoulders.

Mark looked at her. She was teasing him; not the way she used to do earlier, but in a rather friendly manner. He liked her teasing him thus.

"No", he laughed. "I was contemplating about how many flies can enter Mrs. W's mouth while she happily sleeps." He gave her a mischievous grin.

Cassie looked at Mrs. Weatherland, saw her open mouth and burst out laughing.

"That is so mean of you to tease a dear old lady thus!" she said still laughing.

"I know it is mean. But I couldn't help it." he shrugged.

"Poor Mrs. Weatherland. And here she thinks that you are irreproachable." she teased.

"I can't help that either." he faked a sigh.

"You are incorrigible!" she burst out laughing yet again.

He liked the sound of it. It sounded so genuine unlike the other times. He liked her company as well. He liked it for the first time since he had known her. He didn't want this ride to end. But alas! They reached home and Mrs. Weatherland woke up with a start.

"Oh! That was a short ride! Got over in a wink, I must say!" exclaimed Mrs. Weatherland.

"Two winks, must say!" commented Mark as he looked at Cassie and winked. Cassie again started laughing and Mrs. Weatherland looked on with a puzzled expression.

They got down from the carriage. Mrs. Weatherland said that she was very tired and wished them good night; after which she went up to her room. The light in the library was still on indicating that His Grace was still awake.

Both Mark and Cassie walked towards the library in companionable silence. Cassie didn't know how to approach the topic of Bella. Mark was content to walk beside Bella. For the first time he thought, it wouldn't be so bad to make her his marchioness… 'His Marchioness!' He like the words and smiled to himself.

Cassie wanted to ask him the cause of his smile, but suddenly the library doors opened and His Grace came out.

CHAPTER 3 – A DAUGHTER FOUND

"Cassie, my child, you are back!" cried the duke.

Cassie? Who is Cassie?, thought Mark.

Suddenly the duke noticed the young gentleman with Cassie. "Mark, what a pleasant surprise! Come in, my boy." said the duke, as Cassie looked at the shock etched on Mark's features.

Mark inclined his head at the duke. "Your Grace. Who is Cassie?" asked Mark.

"Ah! This is Cassie, Mark. I am sorry; I didn't realize you were unaware. Bella was never found; she died along with my son and his wife." said the duke looking dejected. And then he raised his eyes filled with love towards Cassie and continued, "Cassie then came into our lives. It's a long story…" With this, the duke told Mark how Cassie had come to live with them. Mark heard it with equanimity.

But there were a multitude of thoughts going in his head. Cassie looked exactly like Bella. How was this possible? But then he should know better. There were too many twins in his family... too many people who looked alike. He had been so busy last year. He was out at sea, when he got the news of his sister and brother-in-law's deaths. Bella was with them when the mishap occurred, but unfound as yet. The search for her was still on. It was too late for him to go to England; the funeral must have been over two months ago. News traveled slowly when he was at sea.

Besides he had to set sail again. And then he hadn't received any news after that, but that could be because he was again at sea. He had believed that Bella would have been found, safe and sound. She had the nine lives of a cat; he always used to tease her when they were young.

But now she was no more and there was another in her place. He looked at Cassie. She was looking at him with sympathy. He felt odd. He looked at the duke as he was saying,

"And so, now she is my daughter. I am aware you never wanted to marry Bella. But Marcus insisted and we all gave in. But now your uncle cannot force you. Bella's death has made you a free man. I miss my daughter, but I have found another in Cassie." The duke looked lovingly at Cassie, who easily went into his arms.

"Pa, I would like to go to sleep now if you don't mind. Goodnight Pa!" she said.

"Yes, yes my child. Good night!" replied the duke.

"Good night." she told Mark.

"Good night mar… my lady." Mark had stopped before he could call her marchioness again. Cassie felt oddly sad at the missing endearment. She went up with a heavy heart, she knew not why.

Mark sat in the chair in front of His Grace, thinking about Cassie. This is the reason she didn't appear like the Bella I knew. She is not Bella. This thought brought a smile to his face.