How High a Price: Counterfeit

Story Info
Can she explain?
4.7k words
3.93
190.2k
69
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Well the Troubador threw down the gauntlet: "Write an ending where the wife DIDN'T cheat." Here is my sorrowful attempt to do so.

I can't take all the blame for this. My good friend Wetapap, in a strange flash of insight came up with the basic concept, though I did beat it totally out of shape. I would like to thank him and the other 'old codger' that helped me with this tale, both in ideas and in editing. Thanks guys.

*

He couldn't lose it, everything, his marriage, his future, his dreams everything relied on him being able to keep cool. 'Susan and I need to talk,' Early thought.

After re-entering the house, he found Susan staring into space, unmoved from the chair she was in. After several minutes of trying to get her to talk, Early realized his anger was getting to him again.

'I should leave and cool down,' was his only thought. Early left the house with no direction, no purpose, just driving through town aimlessly. But he soon found himself in John Stickler's neighborhood.

With a sick fascination Early found himself parking at Stickler's house and then knocking at his door. Soon a distinguished older gentleman opened the door.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm Early Conroy…."

Before Early could say anymore Stickler interjected.

"Early OH OF COURSE I must have seen your picture a thousand times on Susan's desk. Sorry but it's late at night and after our trip I know that I'm tired. Say weren't you supposed to come in tomorrow? I know Susan was rushing back to her loving husband and…."

"I don't know how much longer I will be her husband Mr. Stickler." Early flatly interrupted. Stickler's openness had surprised him but Early was determined to keep the upper hand.

"What? What do you mean? Susan said you two were so happy and…."

"I thought we were until she spent the last few days with you," Early interrupted again.

The two men looked each other in the eyes. Concern crossed John's face as he watched Early's stony visage.

Then John's eyes light up with the realization, "Oh God, you don't know. And … oh God no … you think … oh bu… no, no, I would think the same thing." John shook himself out of his reverie, "Early you need to come in and sit down. I think I have to explain some things to you."

"Please do," Early said as he entered the house and John closed the door behind him.

Stunned, Susan sat for hours in the chair where Early had left her. Dimly she realized he had come back into the room then later left.

"I remember hearing his car leave the driveway. How had this happened? What did happen?" She kept asking herself. The shock of Early's presence and his accusations threatened to send her fragile mind over the edge.

Desperate, she grabbed her keys and fled into the night.

**********

"KA CHOO" Jennifer wiped her nose again. "The doc told me that these antibiotics would work. Stupid fucker. I can't get any sleep, my head feels like it's going to explode and…."

The ringing of her doorbell cut off Jennifer's latest list of complaints. The non-stop noise forced her to get up and stagger to the door.

"Susan, what's going on?" Jennifer quickly forgot her own problems when she saw Susan, her mentor and hero on her doorstep. Susan's normally immaculate make up was in ruins, and she looked like she was about to faint.

Jennifer helped Susan inside and got her a drink. After a bit Susan seemed to calm down enough to talk.

"Susan," Jennifer asked, stroking Susan's hair, "what's wrong did something, oh no, did something happen to Early?"

Susan's body trembled as she fought to get the words out. "He's left me…."

"Wha…."

"He came home Thursday and I wasn't home. He thin… he thinks that John and I… that we… that we've been." Susan could feel her world collapsing around her.

"What Susan you don't make sense. You left with John right after you told us that it wa…. Oh no, Susan, you didn't call Early and talk to him about it did you?" The look on Susan's face was enough for Jennifer.

"Oh Susan what have you… 'AH CHOW!'… Done?" Jennifer's body shook with the force of her sneeze. After she regained control she looked Susan in the eyes.

"Ok Susan, what happened and tell me everything?"

Early was seated on a leather couch in John Stickler's living room. John nervously entered the room and headed over to Early.

"Ah here we go, I didn't have a Dr. Pepper but I did have a Coke. It was warm so I poured it over ice, hope that is ok."

John sat down after giving Early the drink.

"Ok wow, this is strange. First I want to say that your wife is a wonderful woman. Who has," John started to speak faster seeing the reaction in Early's eyes, "done nothing but talk about you the entire time I have known her. I think half the women in the office are jealous of her and the tales of her marriage, the other half just think she's making it up!"

John took in a deep breath to collect himself.

"Second, I am in love… with Jennifer! I know this is news to you. I first noticed her while we were helping Susan with the case. Then over time Jennifer just seemed to worm her way into my heart. I started finding reasons to be in Susan's office just to see Jennifer. I would show up early on purpose just so that I would have time to chitchat with her. Finally I drew up my courage, prayed my late wife would understand and I asked Jennifer out. It's been amazing ever since."

John watched Early's face for a reaction, but none came. He should have been a lawyer, John thought, or a professional poker player with that visage.

"Well until this week, see… I am trying to move on, I have this opportunity to work for a very powerful firm in Washington. It's their branch office but I can't really pass this up. So Jennifer and I planned on going there for a few days, rub elbows with the firm members and their spouses then spend the rest of the weekend taking in the sights."

John got a far away look in his eyes as he continued. "Then Jennifer got sick. At first we thought it was just a cold but it got worse and worse, turned into full-blown flu. Late Wednesday we were to fly out, but she was too sick to do much more than go to the doctors and get medicine. Both Susan and Jennifer told me to go. I had confided in Susan while she was talking about her hopes of possible getting promoted to a partner in the Firm, but I didn't know."

A nervous chuckle escapes from John's lips. "First I didn't want to leave Jenn and second they were expecting two of us. I knew there was going to be at least one dinner maybe two and a social meeting that were couples only. I didn't want to go by myself; I didn't know what it would look like for me to show up alone."

John leaned forward and looked the stony Early in the eyes.

"I wasn't thinking straight Early, I was worried about Jenn and then worried about this once in a life time…. Never mind, Jenn came up with the solution… Susan. She could be my guest, and as a fellow lawyer could give them the 'straight talk' about me."

"Well we talked about it and I swear Early, I thought she talked to you about it. When we were about to leave Wednesday I asked her if you were ok with this, I know how it could look. She swore that everything was ok."

Seemingly in deep thought, Early asked, "So she went as your date?"

John's eyes shot wide at Early's words. "NO! She was a fellow guest Early. And when they found out that she was married I know we got some looks until we told them about Jennifer and that Susan was just a fellow colleague. I can tell you Early, she talked you up one side and the other, I went to get a drink at one point and passed her talking about you in glowing terms to the women there. Even the Senator seemed to be eyeing her husband with a bit of 'why can't you be like him?'"

"Senator?"

"Senators, plural really, I told you this was a major Firm. The funny thing is Maxwell Adams, one of the partners told me I could have come alone, it wasn't mandatory for me to have a date, they would have understood. Ironic, huh? Anyway, ah… Oh I know…."

John hopped out of the chair and rushed out of the room, he quickly returned with a briefcase and started rummaging through it,

"Ah here we go, " John handed over a paper to Early.

"You can see there that I paid for two rooms, heck they are even on different floors. That's what you get when you reserve them separately. Mine was nice but I had to pay out the ears for hers. And you can even see the dates for reservation on the papers."

For the first time emotion crossed Early's face, a whiff of doubt. "Yes you…."

Sensing Early's reluctance John seemed to search his mind then his eyes lit up and he rushed off gain. Early could hear the rustling of papers and John reappeared with the recycling bin in his hands.

"Ah here it is. " John pulled out a newspaper and started searching though it. Finally he found his page. He handed over the paper and pointed to the photo in it. It took a second but Early made out Susan and another girl talking to each other behind one of Hollywood's stars in what appeared to be the entrance to a show.

"Sorry for the coffee stain but here in the society and entertainment section you can see Susan and what was her name? Kara?"

Recognition showed in Early's eyes. "Kelly. That's Kelly, they were roommates in college."

"Kelly, yeah. I had tickets to a show but didn't feel right going with Susan so I gave her the tickets. She got her picture taken behind Mr. High and mighty here. You know… I think that explains why she got so nervous when I showed it to her on the way back."

John leaned toward Early. "She really didn't tell you did she?" Concern showed clearly on his face.

"No she didn't" Early sighed. His earlier bravado and will now deflated. He knew he should be overjoyed that Susan didn't cheat but….

"It hurts doesn't it? For them not to trust you, I know…. I went through a similar thing."

Early looked at the man.

"A few years back, my wife, she… started acting strange. At first I thought she was just getting older, then I started to worry about an affair. Did she love me? Everything imaginable went through my mind. Finally I confronted her. Cancer… she didn't want to tell me, wanted to 'protect me'."

"After I got over the shock and was caught up on her situation, we talked. It took a bit but we both realized what we did wrong. I was her hero and she didn't want to burden me and I wanted to be her rock." John sighed," I am glad that we did talk, in the end we didn't have anything separating us."

For a minute John seemed lost in his memories before he seemed to pull himself back together.

"Early I have no idea why Susan didn't tell you. But nothing happened; I have nothing but respect for Susan and you. I mean if I thought what you thought I would probably have rushed in here and beat the… well, you know."

Early leaned back on the couch.

"You know she loves you Early, and I know you love her…can't you get past this?"

"Love's not the problem John. How can I trust her?"

"And then he left?"

Susan chocked back her tears. "He was gone when I finally could look around. I mean, how can he think that of me? I've never given him any reason to do so!"

Jennifer thought for a second. "Maybe that is why he is having such a hard time Susan. He's never had a reason to distrust you before and now he does. He came home and you weren't there, but you lied to him, pretending you were. What were you thinking?"

Susan sighed before responding

"Susan, why would Early have a reason to distrust you? All you had to do was get a room to yourself, which you did, and talk to him every night."

"It's not that simple. Early left on a trip then I suddenly have to go with John to DC? I mean…."

"Why not have him call me?" Jennifer asked.

Susan was started by Jennifer's interruption. "What?"

"Come on Susan, how big of a conspiracy would it have to be for him to call me and I cover for you? IF he worried, and any good man would, it's their nature; then he could call me and know that everything was on the up and up. If he didn't, then you would have a paranoid control freak on your hands, but I don't think that's ever been the problem."

"So why didn't you tell him?" Jennifer eyed Susan carefully.

"I… I…." Susan's mind went blank. All her excuses, all the reasons to lie, she couldn't find them now.

"You didn't think you had to, no harm no foul. You thought that you could do this, help John and me, and then get back home. You weren't hurting Early in any way directly; you didn't break a vow or hurt him in any form. So you could leave on the trip, get John's help with the partnership which you're going to get anyway, and all would be good."

This wasn't going how she thought it would. Why couldn't Jennifer understand? "No I was going to tell Early.."

"When? When could you explain to him that you were lying to him? I could understand if you went out to get him a… a… boat and John was helping you pick one out or you were going to a spa for treatments and you wanted to WOW him. But you didn't. What could you gain by lying that you couldn't get by telling the truth? And what could you say later on to make it look like lying to your husband was a good thing for the two of you?"

Jennifer retrieved a tissue and wiped her nose then turned back to Susan.

"I know. You wanted Early to think that you got the partnership on your own, for him to be proud of you. But you were willing to do some extra to ensure it, to get more support."

Susan started to interrupt, but Jenn stopped her.

"There is nothing you can say to cover up for lying to Early, Susan. Nothing, there was no reason to lie since you were doing nothing wrong. But you still lied to him. You didn't want him to think less of you for 'doing a favor' for John."

Susan sat back, the truth of her not ever being able to tell Early hit home. But was she trading favors? Her body started to shake, as she told herself 'no.'

"Jenn I would never do anything for a partnership but work for it. I did this to help John and to thank him for everything he did for me."

"I know, but how would it look to others?" Jennifer inquired.

Susan's face sank.

Jennifer leaned on and took Susan's hand. "And Susan, why didn't you explain this to Early when he was saying that you cheated on him? Why didn't you tell him the truth?"

"But Jenn I couldn't…" Susan started sob, "he… he… was so insistent and I couldn't get the words out."

"Sus, you know how this makes you look in his eyes. You just confirmed everything he feared. I mean he had your car at John's, you were not at home and you lied to him about where you were. It's not a big stretch to imagine cheating with that evidence."

Susan broke down in tears; her world began to crumble around her. Jenn got up, and retrieved a fresh box of Kleenex.

"Susan, Susan! What is done is done. You'll have to deal with it sooner or later, but right now we have to figure out something else."

Susan looked at Jennifer, her eyes flooded with tears. "What?"

"How to prove you didn't cheat on Early and your marriage."

Early quietly opened the door to the house. He didn't know how long he had been gone but he didn't want to disturb Susan. The information he had gained weighed heavily on his mind.

After leaving John's, he had drove around town for hours trying to get his head on straight. Finally when he had to refuel he returned home.

Early dropped his keys on the table and absentmindedly walked to the window. "It'll be dawn soon." He said…not to anyone but more to himself to break the silence.

"Yes it will," Susan's voice startled Early.

He spun around to find her at the hall doorway. Gone was the dress, replaced with sweats and one of Early's old t-shirts. Her face was freshly washed, but Early could still see the puffiness around her eyes.

"Sus.."

"Early, please let me talk. I know I have hurt you by lying to you. But I swear it was never meant to hurt you and was done with what I thought at the time were the best of intentions. And before you say it, yes I know the old saying about good intentions.

Susan motioned to the kitchen table. "Let me tell you want happened and… if you want to throw me out, I'll pack and leave. I know that you don't have any reason to believe me but please. For all the years we have been together, please give me this one chance."

Early wanted to speak but sensed that Susan needed to get something off her chest. Relenting, he sat down in a chair.

Susan smiled as Early sat down, she gathered herself then continued. "As you know Early, for the last several months I have been working on the case, the case. The case that would, if I could get it right, ensured that I finally become partner. It was the most difficult and involved thing I had ever done. Just when I thought I was lost, John Sticker started to lend a hand. I would have never made it if I didn't have him guiding me, helping me, assuring me."

Susan saw Early wince at the words of her needing John's assurance. Slowly another piece fell into place for her.

"Early, I never… John and Jennifer started seeing each other during this time. I guess I should have told you, but I think we both were so wrapped up in our own professional lives we let things slide. But…" Susan sighed, "Nothing accounts for me lying to you."

"See, John is trying to leave the firm and it looks like he can get a really good position at a major firm in DC. He and Jenn are doing so well. This weekend they were to go to DC to do the meet and greet thing. Then Jenn got sick. Nothing seemed to work to fix her up. John was so worried, he didn't know if he should or could go, and he didn't want to leave Jenn, even though she told him to go. Then she came up with an idea. Why didn't I go with John, not as a date but as a coworker?"

Susan shrugged as she went on. "I thought to myself 'Why not?' I would be back before you came home, and John, well he did help me so much, I wanted to help him."

"Why didn't you tell me Susan?" Early asked. His voice was just above a whisper but it carried right to Susan's heart.

Susan's lips stated to tremble as tears threatened to erupt from her eyes. "I've been asking myself that same question, over and over. I think I told myself that you would worry about me; you would be suspicious of me. I mean, you leave on a trip then I suddenly have to run off with John to attend some fancy dinners with him?"

Susan looked Early in the eyes. "But that wasn't it, let me finish first." Susan steeled herself.

"Well I gathered my stuff while John got me a room, and I used Jennifer's ticket to fly. When we got to DC, well when we went to the dinner, everyone at first thought I was John's wife, then his girlfriend, and we had to explain what happened." Susan gained a far away look in her eyes.

"Strangely enough, one wife told me I had a dear for a husband, for you to let me go like that and help out John. How you had to trust me so well. Little did they know? I want you to know that it hurt to lie to you on the phone like I did. But in for a penny…."

"But why Susan?" Early asked, his eyes imploring her to hell him something he could hold onto.

Susan's shoulders slumped as she tried to respond. "I don't know Early. I guess I wanted to prove that I could do anything. Prove that I didn't need you or John or anyone, I could do everything myself. I wanted to be the leader. But in reality I was just being a child. I knew that you wouldn't have a problem but I didn't want you to have the opportunity to tell me no."

12