How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She felt as if she was choking on life, that the breath that sustained her was being cut off, and a wild panic filled her. She pushed herself up in the bed and felt her left leg sliding against the cool fabric of the sheets, and she remembered the rattlesnakes, remembered her right leg, and what it had felt like to walk unassisted across the scrabbled face of a mountain. She struggled to remember what it had felt like to not fear life.

She opened her eyes as the light in her room switched on, and she saw Jake running toward her, no running toward a dog on the bed next to her. He seemed angry at the dog, which she couldn't understand, but then she could see it all too clearly; Jake thought the dog was menacing her in some way. He was reaching for the dog, his anger was clearly there on his face, and she could see Scout there beside her, but looking back at Jake, confusion on her face.

"Jake, NO!" she screamed, and she watched as he froze in mid-stride, his reaching hand just inches away from the wounded dog's side.

Scout felt her world closing in on her, the trust she knew violated, but instinctually she knew the reason, too. She turned to look at the woman in the bed, and saw understanding in her eyes, felt the terror of the woman's dream in the air all around her. She moved forward, slowly, until her face was next to the woman's and she kissed her. Once, on the cheek, then again, and again, and she felt the woman's convulsive motion, the water that ran down her face, and she kept kissing the woman, willing her to feel the freedom that comes from acceptance.

Scout felt the woman holding her, and it felt good. The warmth of the woman's breath, the release that shuddered through both their bodies, it all felt so good. The woman lowered her self back to the bed, and Scout followed her, flowing into the space between the woman's body and her left arm, and she came to rest with her chin on the woman's shoulder. She felt the man sit on the edge of the bed, felt him rubbing her back, and then the bed shook as her friend jumped up on the bed, and she heard him licking the man, then moving over to her side, licking her face. She looked at the woman; she was laughing now, and there was hope.

  • COMMENTS
4 Comments
burningloveburninglovealmost 8 years ago
Profoundly Touching!

As an owner of two Jack Russells, I completely understand the theme of this story!

Our dogs completely understand my moods and what I need - love and kisses - to soothe my moods!

Bravo to you 5*!

You are a very good story-teller and very talented!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Thank you

More stories of strong, sad men, and beautiful broken. This short story, like your others, rank among the best I've read. Thank you-- I look forward to many more.

exalphageekexalphageekalmost 17 years ago
Great!

Great story! Not quite the expected story arc -- a much more powerful one, instead.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Scary good!

This one will be with me for awhile. Your words made the terror so real and deep, yet let us feel the love without it be overwhelming. Outstanding story.

Thanks

Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

The Promise Promises are meant to be kept.in Romance
Hero's Reward One brave deed holds the key to unlocking a scarred heart.in Romance
Jonas Agonistes A veteran suffers into love.in Romance
Catching Colleen A ballplayer discovers love is not a game.in Romance
In a Room Full of People With such a high IQ you can sure be dumb sometimes.in Romance
More Stories