Hunter's Moon Ch. 01

Story Info
Intro to the Hunter's Moon, Kevin discover's tragedy.
3.3k words
4.45
5.9k
1
3
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/12/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter One -- Discovery

Please be aware that the "Hunter's Moon" series of stories may involve minimal sex. I'm doing this as an experiment in writing. For those that are looking for strictly sex, this story is not for you, but keep reading if you wish. I would also like to mention that many of my ideas may come from other stories of varying media. So if you notice a similarity to another story it is usually by coincidence. So prepare to embark on the first chapter of "Hunter's Moon".

~~~~~

Once every five-thousand six-hundred and ninety-six years the reflection of the moon shifts from the typical normal glow to a beaming aura of opalescent reds that turns the night sky red. This event is so rare that most people have never heard of it or even seen it however; to the ancient peoples of earth it was called the Hunter's Moon.

They believed this was an omen of changing times, others thought it to mean the end of the world. During the hunter's moon whole tribes have disappeared without a trace, sometimes entire civilizations. The exact nature of this event is greatly unknown.

~~~~~

'This is boring' thought Kevin Taggart as he sat in his grade 12 history class. The teacher was talking about the ancient peoples of the world as if she knew all about them. Mysterious disappearances and discovered artifacts that only tell us they lived at one point of time.

The only reason Kevin came to this class, other than being a requirement to graduate was because his social teacher Mrs. Gregory was fairly attractive with medium blonde-brown hair, green eyes and stood at best guess near five feet seven inches with plenty of leg space, and she always wore clothing to show off her curves. To be honest most of the guys in the class made it the primary reason.

Another reason dealt with another of the classmates, a girl by the name of Leanna Pierce who was an absolute fanatic of history. No matter the weather outside she was always happy and chipper. Kevin thought that nobody should be that happy, but that didn't bother him too much. You see, Leanna is beautiful and smart with long brown hair, blue eyes and dressed in a conservative manner much unlike the bimbo's and wannabe bimbo's that seem to flock to this school but rarely have a brain between them all. She stood at nearly five feet nine inches and was not even close to being a blonde bimbo.

Kevin often thought about asking her out, but was too weak to take that first step. If you were to pass Kevin on the street or in the halls you'd think he was an average Joe, no bulging muscles like the football jocks or oversized glasses like the chess club geeks.

He didn't particularly like watching the jocks run up and down a field or the chess geeks move pieces on a board. He did however like role-playing games like D&D or GURPS, he enjoyed the odd anime show and liked to watch TV or play on his computer or console systems. He was also quite fascinated with the stars, not those ones in Hollywood but the ones beyond earth wishing one day he would get the chance to travel among them.

All in all Kevin was six feet tall at about 190lbs with straight medium brown hair, green eyes and had a fairly conservative clothing style with minor current fad influences. He typically wore blue, green or black jeans and collared golf t-shirts. He was never one to follow the crowd and his grades were usually in the high numbers which proved something about his intelligence.

He lived mostly alone in a nearby medium-high end neighborhood. His parents were Archaeologists and were out and about around the world often which mostly explains why he dislikes hearing about ancient civilizations and peoples, since whenever his parents are home that's usually all he hears about. Every couple of days or so, his Aunt Janice stops by for some tea and socializing and, of course, to check up on him and see if he needed anything.

Just before the bell rang the teacher handed out weekend homework assignments due for the next class. He wrote it down and got out of his seat to leave. 'Today has been long for some reason' He thought tossing it aside as a Friday thing but something at the back of his mind was gnawing at him. He just shook his head, picked up his books and proceeded to the door.

Walking down the hall he heard a voice calling his name from behind him. It sounded familiar but he wasn't completely sure who it was. He slowed down a little and glanced over his shoulder noticing Leanna quickly moving towards him. His heart raced a little, and quickened as she approached.

"Kevin, Wait up!" Leanna said loud enough over the hallway chatter.

As she moved closer Kevin was surprised that she actually knew his name and that she was calling for him in the first place so he stopped and waited.

"You move pretty fast, one moment you were behind me while I was gathering my books and the next moment you're half-way down the hall." Leanna stated.

Unsure how to approach this situation he stumbled in his mind. "umm" he paused, "I was just walking like I normally do." He was still trying to figure her out. After she caught up he started walking slowly.

She stopped and he stopped as well. "To be honest I don't know what I'm doing, but here goes." She took a deep breath. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight."

In a sit-com, this simple question would have made him stumble back a few feet and maybe fall over some conveniently placed prop. But instead he just stood there, frozen.

"Are you still with me in there?" She was beginning to blush. "Kevin?"

"I'm sorry, I must have blacked out there or something, because I thought I heard you ask me out, on a date, tonight." Kevin said confused.

"You heard right, now I'm just waiting for an answer."

"Sure, it would be an honor to go out with you tonight. Now the question is, when, where and am I picking you up?"

A sigh of relief left her mind and her color was returning to normal. She'd known for a while now that Kevin was interested in her, but he never could seem to ask her out. So she figured, if he wasn't going to do it then she would and hope for the best. "How about a movie at the theater for around eight?"

"Sure, how about I pick you up for 7:30 at your place."

"Sounds fine to me." Leanna wrote down her address and cell number on a scrap sheet of paper and handed it to him. "Try not to be late." She exclaimed with a smirk.

He took the paper and read the address. "7:30 it is."

She smiled at him and walked down the hallway to her locker. Kevin felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. It's been months since he's wanted to ask her out. Now he was actually going out on a date with her. "Wow."

He walked towards his car in the Student parking lot and unlocked the door with the press of a button. The car was a birthday present on his 18th from his parents. It was a metallic blue 2011 Honda CR-Z Hybrid, not only were his parent's Archeologists but they valued the environment as well. The sound system was killer and it had a navigation system in it so that he could find his way almost anywhere.

He arrived at home shortly after, parked the car in the four car garage, grabbed his bags and walked into the kitchen, depositing his bags on a chair by the door. "Anyone home?" he spoke loudly not really expecting an answer. Waited a little while then continued into the kitchen. The message light was blinking on the phone. He pressed the play messages button.

"Heya Kev, it's mom and dad. We've stumbled across an amazing discovery that you will not believe." Spoke his mother's voice on the answering machine. "We sent a package to the house early this morning which will be delivered Saturday. There's a note along with it, we should be home in the next few days. Until then hun, we love you and hope you have a good weekend."

He wondered what was so amazing about this package that it was being delivered via Saturday courier. "I'm sure the note will explain it." He said to himself.

He flopped onto the couch and flipped on the 62 inch plasma TV system, flipping channels on the satellite until he found the news. He tried to keep up on current events but sometimes it was difficult. "... and in current news an archeologist site this afternoon had a fatal collapse near a central Brazilian village 7 people are confirmed dead and they are still trying to find the other twenty people of the expedition. No one knows for sure what caused the collapse but speculation spoke of possible traps. We'll have more on that story later..."

Kevin's skin went deathly pale since that was where his parents were supposed to be digging. He didn't know what to do. Then it came to him, his parents usually leave contact information for him in case of an emergency. He jumped up and began looking for the information everywhere. His mind was in a flurry of desperation and worry. He knew it was supposed to be in the kitchen but he couldn't find it.

He ran up to his mom and dad's office and again looked everywhere. "Shit, where the hell is it?" He went back down to the kitchen to grab some water from the dispenser on the fridge took a few sips and stared at the fridge door, his mind wandering to what might have happened to his parents. Slowly his eyes glanced upward on the fridge and right in front of him was the info he so desperately looked for. Several numbers were on the sheet, all satellite phones.

He tried the first number. Beep beep beep "Shit its busy!" Next number rang on forever and he gave up. "Why the hell have a phone if you don't answer it! Fuck!" He tried the third number. "Please answer the goddamn phone!" it rang a few times then clicked "Thank you for calling Anna Layson, I'm not available at the time so if you would ....." He slammed the phone down getting very pissed off. "Two more numbers, deep breath, calm down."

He dialed the next number. "Hello, This is Andrew Samson." Said the voice on the other end.

"Hey Andrew, this is Kevin Taggart. I heard there was a collapse on the news." Kevin said in a worried tone.

"Taggart... Oh you're Dan and Denise's son."

"Yes, I was wondering if you heard any word from my parents, I heard 7 people lost their lives." He was trying to stay calm but his speech was fairly ragged and full of worry.

"I'm sorry to say that they were inside when it collapsed. We have yet to find their bodies but we have had no luck as of yet. They could still be alive, but it is doubtful."

Several tear's rolled down his face at the mention of the doubt. He took a deep breath. "Please, if you find anything out call me on my cell no matter what the time. I'd like to know."

"I'm sorry once again, but as soon as we learn more we'll contact you."

"Thanks." He said and hung up slowly walking back towards the couch. 'don't break down, don't worry, everything will be alright, deep breaths' He thought to himself and suddenly broke down and cried for what seemed to be an eternity and fell asleep.

A few hours passed and he woke up, looked at the time and scrambled to get ready to pick Leanna up from home, he was a mess, his hair was matted clothing was smelly. 'This just wouldn't do' he thought and scrambled up to his room to grab a change of clothes and to take a shower. He picked out a dark blue casual pair of pants and t-shirt to match with collar.

Twenty minutes later he was ready for the date, even though his mind was split between excitement and depression he figured he'd do his best and if she asked what's wrong he'd tell her the story no matter what.

In ten minutes he was at her house and she was already out the door wearing a navy blue medium skirt with black shoes and a white blouse with a navy blue tie shirt over it. Being the gentleman type he parked, got out of the car and opened the door for her.

"Well aren't you the gentleman." She smiled, stepped in and Kevin closed the door and walked back around to the driver's side.

"Well, I try." Kevin said and took the car to the theater, deep in thought.

Leanna observed Kevin, she picked up that he was preoccupied with something on his mind and wasn't sure if she should ask what's wrong. She figured it could wait until after the movie.

They parked at the theater and Kevin opened the door for Leanna as well. Kevin offered to pay and Leanna started to object but allowed him anyway. They agreed on a modern day drama and proceeded to Cinema 7.

"So," Leanna said nervously. "What do you do when you're not studying?"

"Not much, mostly I play video games and surf the web and watch TV on occasion and sometimes all at once." Kevin smiled in the dim light. "How about you?"

"Similar but I like to draw now and then, however I'm a sucky artist. My parents own a chain of hobby shops that deal with radio controlled models and drawing supplies. They hope I'll join the business after I leave school, but I'm not entirely sure." She paused. "So how about your parents, what do they do?"

Wrong question, he was just starting to ease up on the issue from earlier. 'Don't break down, not here, not now, deep breaths' he thought and this time it mostly worked. He didn't start bawling but tears were beginning to run down his face again.

Leanna noticed this and felt bad that she brought it up. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset."

Sniffing back the tears a bit he rubbed his eyes and looked at her. "It's okay, just got some bad news today that's affecting me." The light's dimmed further and the screen lit up. "I promise to tell you after the movie okay?"

"Sure." She said still sorta feeling bad about it.

The movie was a good one, it had a good balance of romance and action as well as a bit of comedy which helped lighten up both Kevin's and Leanna's mood. They waited until everyone was down the steps before getting up and depositing their trash in the bin.

They left the theater and went back to the car. Kevin opened the door for her again then turned it on.

"So, what happened?" Leanna asked.

Kevin knew this was coming and was ready for it this time, well, mostly. He explained what his parent's did and where they were and what happened earlier in the afternoon and that he thought they were dead but hoped otherwise, and about the package that was to come in and about how his parent's made some sort of huge discovery.

Leanna held his hand. "I'm here for you, and you can tell me anything."

Kevin was relaxed and knew in his heart that what she said was true. He thought this was going a little too fast however, but he was glad for the company in this time of crisis. He looked out the window and saw how full the moon was. "I was wondering if you wanted to go up to the hill?"

Leanna blushed. "So soon?"

Kevin looked at her confused and recalled the rumors about the hill. The whole school spoke in secret about it, how it was the place to make-out because it was surrounded by a thick ring of tall, dense trees. Other rumors suggested that it was special. Those rumors didn't go into great detail though which made him a little curious why they would call it special.

Now was Kevin's turn to blush. "No, not to make-out." He said. "Not yet anyway. It's just a great place to see the stars and moon."

"Oh, in the case, sure." Leanna smiled. "But don't try any funny stuff mister." She said sarcastically.

Kevin smiled and drove up to the hill. There were already several cars in the gravel lot many of which had steamed up windows, others that had nobody in them. Kevin drove far enough away from the steamed windows to give the occupants some privacy and parked. He popped the trunk release button and walked around to the back.

"Just for occasion I tend to leave a couple fully charged NightHawk LED flashlights and extra batteries in here, a couple blankets and sleeping bags as well as a small duffle with survival gear and a change of clothing, oh and a couple long beach towels."

Leanna looked in the trunk amazed at his emergency supplies. "Is that all? You planning on hitching off planet some day?" she said.

He liked her attitude and smiled. "Maybe, ya never know what could to happen. I'm sure there's more stuff I should think about adding, but I can't think of anything."

She thought for a moment. "You could add some stuff for me eventually." She smiled.

"Add them yourself down the line; I don't know your sizes." He said and handed her a flashlight and a blanket.

She took them both. "Thanks and maybe I will."

They proceeded up the pathways through the trees hearing muffled moaning sounds from nearby, which was to be expected on a late Friday night. He smiled at the dirty thought and then shook his head. Leanna faintly noticed and smirked.

Moments later they were on top of the hill in the center of the tree ring. The moon was bright and relaxing in the clear night sky, it was a beautiful 24°C with warm winds slowly blowing. They laid out the blankets and lounged back staring up at the moon.

"So, what're your future plans?" Leanna asked.

"Not sure yet? I've always dreamed of traveling the stars but I can't see that happening anytime soon. Other then that I'll probably fall into my parent's line of work, even though their stories seem to drag on, it's exciting to them and I have to admit that I get somewhat excited too." He considered it for a bit, imagining himself as an archeologist. It made him smile for a moment. "How about you, I know you're not too interested in working the hobby shop business."

Leanna thought for a moment considering the question. "Well, I enjoy history and the mysteries around it. So I suppose I'd probably become a researcher or something, but you never do truly know. You're dream sounds exciting, and I would love to join you in the star traveling."

"It's a good dream, but we're so far from traveling the star's its sickening. If we didn't rely on oil so much I'm sure the dream would be closer to reality, but what can ya do? Heck we haven't even sent a manned mission to Mar's yet." Kevin said staring long at the moon, once again happy for the company.

"Maybe you're right, but one can at least dream about it. The moon is definitely beautiful tonight, and the star's shimmer so hypnotically."

"Ya, maybe in a few hundred years human kind will actually travel among them. Not just send probes and satellites out."

Both just stared at the night sky in communal silence, imagining what it would be like out there, between the stars.

~~~~~

That ends this chapter, stay tuned for more...