I Believe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,346 Followers

"Oh-ho!" he exclaimed jovially. "Aren't you a little old to sit on Santa's lap?"

I smiled in self-admonishment. "Probably," I said, stepping up to him. Looking more closely now, I could tell that the beard wasn't fake, nor were the rosy cheeks or the big round belly. Nor the look of kindness, age, and wisdom in his eyes.

"Well, what can jolly old St. Nick do for you, young man?" he asked.

I shook my head with a smile. "Not a thing," I said. "I just wanted to say 'thank you.'"

His eyes smiled. He gave a short nod in understanding. "You're welcome, David," he said. I wasn't surprised that he knew my name. "Love is a gift you never lose. Remember that."

I nodded. "I will."

Santa held up his hand, holding a plastic-wrapped candy cane. "Merry Christmas," he said. "And a very happy New Year."

I laughed, even as I felt a tear trickling down my cheek. I took the candy, clasped his hand. "Merry Christmas . . . Santa."

***

I was in a strange mood when I returned to Vickie's house. The tears had dried, and I was left with a feeling of acceptance and inclusion into something very few people ever enjoy.

Cars filled the driveway and lined the streets. I had to park half a block away and walk back to the house. I didn't mind. The air was still, crisp and pleasant, carrying the aromas of peppermint, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I was smiling by the time I reached the front door. Everything just seemed . . . right.

Vickie opened the door at my knock. I could have used the key, I knew, but it somehow seemed more appropriate the rap my knuckles on the door beneath the mistletoe wreath.

"David," she said in a soft voice. Her face was red and her eyes were swollen. She looked like she had been crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

My sister suddenly grinned, and crushed herself against me. "He came home, baby brother," she said, sighing in my ear. "He came home."

He? I stepped into the house with my sister and looked to the living room. There, sitting on the floor, was my brother-in-law John, playfully wrestling with his daughter. I watched them for a moment, stunned. Then I slowly smiled.Of course.

Somewhere, ethereally, at the edge of hearing, came the sound of sleigh bells.

Vickie squeezed my hand as she stood beside me. "He showed up about two hours ago," she explained. "Right after you left. Didn't call or anything, he just . . . showed up."

I looked to my sister, saw the elation on her face through her happy tears. "I guess Trish was right after all," I said.

Vickie flashed her eyes to me, staring a moment, then laughed. "Yeah, she was," she said, and sniffled again.

"Uncle Dave! Uncle Dave!"

Jana ran up to me, leaving her father for the moment, arms outstretched and young face glowing. I automatically dropped down and hugged her close.

"My daddy's home!" Jana cried in my ear. "My daddy's home!"

I squeezed her tight. "Merry Christmas, sunshine," I said. I held up the candy cane Santa Claus had given me. "I brought you something."

Jana pulled back, grinning happily. She snatched the candy cane from my hand. "Where's Aunt Trish?" she asked. "I wanna thank her for bringing my daddy back."

I touched Jana's nose, making my niece blink. "She had to go home," I said.

Jana cocked her head, smiling sweetly. Her eyes seemed to suddenly contain the wisdom of the ages. "Don't worry, Uncle Dave," she said. "Christmas comes every year, you know."

I chuckled, hugged her again. All the questions in the world could be answered by a nine-year-old, I realized. Jana squeezed me with all the strength she possessed, then drew back. "So . . . you believe in Santa Claus, now?"

I nodded. "Yeah," I said. "I believe."

-finis-

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. As always, let me know what you think.

slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,346 Followers