I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

"I will, I promise." Byron said hugging her tight.

Her father hugged her last.

"We proud of you baby," He said kissing her cheek. "Keep sendin' them letters."

"Isadora, we need to be going," Noah said gently.

She hugged everyone again and accepted the sack of food that her mother had packed.

"There are some biscuits and a few other things in there," Her mother said. "It ain't much, but it'll hold you for a few days."

"Thank you mama" Isadora said with a last hug.

As the car pulled away, Isadora looked out of the back window and waved until her family was gone from view. She shed a few more tears, dried her eyes and began thinking about the future. She was more determined than ever to finish school early so that she could finish her business in Mississippi. She didn't see the look of satisfaction on Noah's face as he glanced back at her. He was more than pleased.

He and Whitman chatted quietly leaving Isadora to her thoughts.

"I want her brother Byron to be taught to read and write better." Noah said. "I don't know for sure, but he seems to have an aptitude for science and math."

"I can find someone." Whitman replied.

"No, I'll do it." Noah replied. "You're too important to expose and I already have someone in mind. I just need to locate him."

"Alright, then I'll wait until I hear from you" Whitman replied. "Noah, you do realize that it's going to get ugly down here don't you?"

'Isn't that the way it goes?" Noah asked. "It always gets worse before it gets better. Just watch yourself. I would hate to see anything happen to you."

"This is true" Whitman agreed. "Noah, someday we need to talk about..."

"No we don't," Noah said cutting him off. "There's no point to it."

Whitman sighed and said no more. Isadora's ears had perked up when that part of their conversation reached her ears. She was now more curious than ever about Mr. Noah Jackson.

Whitman dropped them off at the train station and handed Isadora a stack of magazines.

"These are some other law journals that I came across. They're basically the same as the others, but they do offer another point of view on some things."

"Thank you" Isadora said taking the magazines.

A few minutes later, they were on the train. An hour later, they were headed back to California.

****

Moving around was getting easier by the day for Saul. Now that he had decided on his life's vocation, he worked even harder at his studies. He soon found out that Reggie while patient was nowhere as gentle a teacher as Joshua had been.

"We have to make up for lost time." Reggie told him. "You're intelligent enough, but you need to be challenged."

The first things to go were the children's reading books.

"We're going to start with one of the classics." Reggie said as he handed Saul a copy of 'The Three Musketeers'.

Saul paged through the book and looked at Reggie.

"Are you serious?" He asked. "I don't even know half of these words."

"I know that" Reggie replied. "But you will. What you might find interesting is that the author Alexandre Dumas is what would be considered a man of color. He is of French and Haitian descent. I'm quite certain if the whites knew this, they would stop reading this as well as his other works. At any rate, if you enjoy this; we can read some of his other works. 'The man in the Iron Mask' is one of my favorites."

Saul looked at the book again and then at Reggie.

"So when do we start?" he asked.

"We can start tonight if you like." Reggie replied.

"Reggie... what about your job?" Saul asked. "Isn't school going to start soon?"

"I'm what's called an itinerate teacher." Reggie explained. "I go from place to place staying for as long as I'm needed and right now, I'm needed here."

"Why don't we switch sleeping places?" Saul asked. "It's hardly fair that you sleep on the sofa after all, you're Aunt Cora's nephew."

"Actually I prefer the couch." Reggie said with a smile. "I don't always rest well at night and that way I don't disturb anyone if I sit up or decide to go for a walk. We have a little time before supper," Reggie said "why don't we get started?"

"That's fine by me." Saul replied. "Do you think that my mother got the letter yet?"

"If she hasn't, she'll get it soon." Reggie replied. "Have you thought about when you're going to contact that lawyer?"

"I thought that I would wait until I heard back from my mother." Saul replied.

"That's a good idea." Reggie replied. "Let's go out on the porch and get started."

***

Ernie spent the rest of Christmas break getting ready for the following semester. He hadn't spoken to Kenji or Joel since the party, but he did talk to his parents about the group studying at the house.

"Of course!" his mother said. "Just make sure that you give me plenty of warning so that I can have refreshments ready."

"I would like to meet this young man Kenji." His father said.

Ernie wasn't surprised by their reactions. It made him a little more ashamed of his own attitude. The one thing that he appreciated was that Kenji admitted some unpleasant things about himself. Ernie hadn't missed the warning, but it told him that Kenji understood what he was going through. He thought about Maeve and how he hadn't wanted to tell her about his part in the group. He liked her even though he had just met her and was hoping to run into her again. There was something about her bubbly personality that put him at ease.

He made another decision. He was going to try to get into the summer group. He knew that there were at least two spots available, but the competition would be steep. He would still graduate behind Kenji and Joel, but he could cut off a semester and start his internship earlier.

With that goal in mind, Ernie began to study.

*****

The rest of the winter passed quickly with no further incidents. Patricia thrived on the extra school work and did well with the math and science courses with the help of Kenji, Joel and Penny and everyone was counting down to graduation day. The list for the summer program had been posted and much to Ernie's disappointment, he wasn't on it.

"I am sorry." Kenji said.

"It's okay." Ernie replied. "I knew that it was a longshot. Just think you and Joel will be done in a few weeks. That has to feel good."

"It does" Kenji agreed. "But you will graduate next year."

"I know" Ernie replied. "Has anyone approached you about a residency yet?"

Kenji had been approached. He got the letter the week before, but hadn't said anything to anyone except family which included Joel and Penny. Joel and Penny both had received letters but they weren't from UCLA. Both of their letters had come from Columbia University in New York. Neither of them had responded yet hoping that they would receive a letter from UCLA. Neither of them wanted to go to the east coast, but would if they had to. They still had plenty of time to respond.

"I have been offered a position here" Kenji replied.

"That doesn't surprise me" Ernie replied. "Congratulations!"

"We are having a party the evening following the last day of class" Kenji said. "We hope that you will come."

'I'll be there" Ernie replied clapping Kenji on the shoulder. "I'll ask my mom if she can make one of her pumpkin rolls."

As soon as they got the letter, Patricia began planning for the graduation party. Since she was still busy with classes, she delegated. Will and Sally were more than happy to help since they missed Nick and Hana's wedding. Their baby Emily was doing well and Diana was more than willing to help take care of her to help out.

As of yet, Patricia hadn't talked to Kenji about the possibility about another baby. Once the semester started they had both been busy with classes and family. Finals would be over in a few weeks and they would have a much needed respite. The other topic of discussion would be what school to send Ralph to school. Patricia always felt a little pang in her heart whenever she thought about it. Their babies were growing up so fast.

**

Patricia sat in the library studying for the chemistry final. Unable to concentrate, she lay the pencil down and looked out the window. It was a beautiful spring day-much too nice for being indoors. She could hear Hana in the kitchen making lunch for the children and decided to join them. It would also be a good time to talk about the party.

"Mama!" Marie greeted when she saw her.

"Hi!" Patricia replied. "Are you being a good girl for grandma Hana?"

"Yes mama" Marie replied.

"Good-where's Ralph?" Patricia asked.

"He is in the backyard reading" Hana replied. "Will you have lunch with us?"

"That sounds good" Patricia replied. "I wanted to talk about the party anyway. Do you think that you can make the Tamago Maki? Mine are alright, but yours are so much better."

'I would be pleased to help" Hana replied. "How many eggrolls would you like?"

"As many as you can manage" Patricia replied. "They always go fast."

"It will be done" Hana replied. "We are very proud of you and Kenji."

"He's going to be a wonderful doctor isn't he?" Patricia asked her voice filled with pride.

"Yes, but so will you" Hana said. "It will not be too long before you will be in medical school."

"It feels as though that's a long ways off" Patricia replied.

"It will go faster since you are able to take more classes." Hana replied.

That was true. It was decided that since Ralph would be in school, Patricia would take a full course load. They still had to figure Kenji's schedule into the mix, but he was confident that it would work out. The one thing that Patricia wasn't looking forward to was not seeing Kenji on a daily basis. She pushed the thought aside and brought up another topic.

"Have you heard from Nick's family?"

"His mother called once to apologize" Hana replied. "But that was a month after the wedding. I do not think that they will ever come to accept me. Nick says that it doesn't matter, but I know that it hurt him."

Patricia regretted asking the question and quickly changed the subject.

"Thank you for helping with the kids while we get ready for finals. We really appreciate it."

"You are welcome" Hana replied. "Anything we can do to help. Patricia- why don't you and Kenji go away for a night after he graduates? Nick and I will care for the children."

Patricia thought about it. She and Kenji had never gone on an overnight trip and she liked the idea. They still had the money from Ralph that they had earmarked for a trip. One night wouldn't use all of the money, there would still be plenty left for a longer trip. The more she thought about it, the more she liked the idea.

"I'll talk to Kenji about it" She said.

She helped Hana with lunch and called the children. Once again, she was struck by how much they had grown. Ralph was looking more and more like his father with each passing day. Marie was a miniature version of her, only her eyes were a lighter brown and almond shaped. They were going to have their hands full once she discovered the opposite sex. Once she and Kenji were finished with for the semester, they would start preparing the children for Kenji's long absences. The preparation was for them too even though they hadn't said it. In many ways, the separation would be harder on them than it would be on the children. Suddenly, she missed him and needed to touch him. She glanced at the clock and inwardly groaned. Kenji wouldn't be home for another four hours.

"Patricia? Are you alright?" Hana asked.

"I'm fine" she replied with forced cheerfulness. "Let's eat."

Hana started to say something, but didn't. Patricia knew that she could talk to her about anything. After lunch, Patricia read with the children and went back to the library to study. She forced herself to concentrate and was soon lost in her studies. She jumped when she felt a soft kiss on her neck.

She jumped out of the chair, threw her arms around Kenji's waist and hugged him tight. Kenji returned the hug. He had missed her as much as she had missed him.

"I missed you too" he said kissing her.

"Have you seen the kids?" She asked after they were sitting down.

"Yes, I said hello to them when I got home" Kenji replied. "How is the studying going?"

"It's going well- Kenji your mom made a suggestion that I like."

Kenji listened while Patricia told him about Hana's suggestion.

"I think that it is a good idea" He said after a moment's thought. "It will do us good. Where would you like to go?"

"I don't know, but it can't be far if we're only going to be gone for a night."

"We have time to think about it" Kenji replied. "I spoke with Ernie today."

"Is he coming to the party?" Patricia asked.

"Yes, but he is disappointed. He was hoping to get into the summer program, but he didn't." Kenji replied.

"That's too bad" Patricia said. "But he only has one more year. Did Joel and Penny hear anything from UCLA yet?"

"No, not yet" Kenji replied, "But it is still early."

"I hope that they don't have to move" Patricia said glad that she and Kenji didn't have to leave.

"I hope not as well" Kenji replied. "Do you need help with your studies? We have a little time before dinner."

"Any and all help is appreciated" Patricia replied with a grin.

***

Isadora left the registration office after signing up for the two classes that she was going to take over the summer. She had wanted to take a third, but Noah forbade it.

"You need time to relax and do whatever it is young people do" he told her. "Two classes are plenty."

Reluctantly, Isadora agreed with him, but that didn't mean that she couldn't find out if any of the syllabi for the following school year was available. More and more people were speaking to her, many of those in the class ahead her. Taking the nothing to lose approach, she stopped one of the students as she was leaving the office. The student was more than willing to give Isadora the syllabi that she had.

"I'm just going to throw them out anyway. I'll bring them on the last day of class."

Isadora thanked the woman and hurried away. She was supposed to meet Maeve at the library. Maeve had wanted to take summer classes with Isadora, but couldn't. Her brothers and sisters would be home from school and she had to babysit. They agreed that Isadora would share what she learned in order to make things easier for Maeve in the fall.

"The only thing that I won't do is tell you what's on the quizzes and tests," Isadora told her.

"I already knew that," Maeve replied. "But what you're going to do will help a lot."

Isadora rushed toward the library and stopped short. Maeve was talking to a guy. After a second look, she realized that it was Ernie. She had met him at Kenji and Patricia's house at one of their gatherings, but hadn't really talked to him other than to say hello. She hadn't realized that Maeve knew him that well. At the gatherings, she only said a few words to him.

"Hi" Isadora said as she walked up to them.

"Hi," Ernie said with a smile. "I was just leaving; will you be at the party?"

"We'll be there" Maeve replied. "Thanks for explaining things to me."

"You're welcome," Ernie replied. "I'll see you later."

"What was he explaining?" Isadora asked after Ernie walked away.

"He was the one that broke Joel's hand-did you know that?" Maeve asked.

"I heard something about it," Isadora replied.

"He was explaining how he got into a group like that- of course it was the condensed version, but..."

"You like him," Isadora finished for her.

"Is that an issue?" Maeve asked.

"Not at all," Isadora replied. "If Kenji and Patricia don't have a problem with him, why should I? Let's go, we've got less than an hour before Lenny picks me up."

Maeve hesitated and then followed Isadora into the library. Not for the first time she wondered about Isadora's total lack of interest in the opposite sex. As close as they had become, the subject of men was taboo unless it was regarding classes.

****

Saul was thriving. Once he read Alexandre Dumas's 'The Three Musketeers', he couldn't get enough. Reggie was pleased with the rate at which Saul was learning and started calling him 'sponge'.

"We've got a long ways to go, but you're doing well" Reggie told him. "We need to start adding to your curriculum. I think that we'll add mathematics next."

"I like working with numbers" Saul replied distractedly.

"What's on your mind?" Reggie asked.

"I haven't heard from my mother yet" Saul replied. "I should have heard something by now."

Reggie agreed and made a suggestion.

"We'll write another letter and this time we'll add a phone number. We'll send money so that she can use a payphone."

"Whose number are we going to give her?" Saul asked. "None of the people here have a phone."

"True, but the train station does" Reggie said. "Your boss might not like it, but it wouldn't be a long call. All you need to know is that she got the letter and is taking precautions. We need to make sure that she says that it's a family emergency when she calls."

"How much time should we give it?" Saul asked.

"I think that two weeks is a reasonable amount of time. After that, we'll have to think of something else. I just had an idea." Reggie said. "What if you contacted that lawyer? I'm betting that he can help keep your family safe."

"Maybe, but let's try the letter first" Saul said. "I would like to do it tonight and mail it tomorrow."

An hour later, the letter was written.

"Dear mama,

I hope that everything is alright. I haven't heard anything to tell me any different. Could you do something for me? When you get this letter, could you call this number? It will go a long way toward easing my anxiety. Here's the number 555-1212. It's my work number so when you call be sure to say that it's a family emergency. I'm there most days from six am to about three. If the mail comes after three, call the next day.

Your son,

Saul"

Saul had Reggie look over the letter to check for clarity and spelling.

"It looks good" Reggie said as he quickly scanned the letter. "Your writing and spelling have gotten much better."

"Thanks to you and Uncle Joshua," Saul said.

"It's been a pleasure" Reggie said patting Saul on the knee.

"How much longer are you going to be around?" Saul asked.

"I'll be here until you're ready," Reggie replied. "And at the rate you're going, it won't be long."

"Where will you go from here?" Saul asked.

"I don't know yet, more than likely back south; but we'll see."

They talked for a few more minutes before going in to supper. Saul wanted to read before going to sleep, he had to be at work early. He had no more run-ins with Dewey, but knew that he was being watched. It was only a matter of time before the big man confronted him again. It helped that a few more of the baggage boys decided that he was "alright for a white boy" and started eating lunch with him and Harry.

Saul's time of relative peace briefly ended when Dewey finally managed to catch him alone. The morning had been so busy that no one, Saul included had time for a break. When he saw a break in the seemingly endless number of passengers needing help, Saul took off for the bathroom. Assuming that Dewey was just as busy as everyone else was, Saul didn't check for his whereabouts. He ran into the bathroom, did his business and turned to leave. Dewey was blocking the bathroom door.

"Who gonna help you now?" He asked.

"Look," Saul said. "I don't have anything against you, so why don't we just forget about this?"

"But I has sumthin' gainst you," Dewey said as he stepped away from the door.

"What did I do to you?" Saul asked. "We've never met..."

"You white ain't ya?" Dewey broke in. "Anybody who white did sumthin' to me."

"All of this is because I'm white?" Saul asked. "Dewey, I personally have done nothing to you or to anyone that you know. I am also not responsible for every white person who happens to be a racist or who treats you like shit. Tell me how beating my ass and possibly killing me is going to change anything. Are you going to kill every white person that you see?"

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers