I'll Never Leave Your Side

Story Info
Lane needed a break and found someone while taking it.
6.6k words
4.37
13.7k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lane was just 29 when he felt like the whole world was against him. It had been six years since he last had a girlfriend. He wanted to be with women before, he just never had the balls to ask them out, and in fact his last girlfriend asked him out. This was beside the point though. Lane was frustrated. His job was becoming hectic and his boss was being a major prick about everything He wanted to be with someone, and he wanted his job to be less frustrating but he wasn't. And his job wasn't either, so finally he decided to take a break from life. Retreating to the only place he knew he would get some peace. He had a cabin secluded in a small town of Kake, Alaska and he was bound to have somewhat of a relaxing time.

Ten years since he'd seen the small town of Kake, his grandma lived down there but unfortunately in 2000 she died, from what he didn't know, but he was very close to her so it was sad to visit Kake. Luckily enough, his grandma placed him in her will and he got the cabin. He only visited it once to make sure everything was working and to give it a Lane kind of feel. It didn't need much though because of his and his grandma's similar taste in home living.

The door was slowly being opened by a shadowed figure, He had a trucker hat on and his hair was neck length and messy. A goatee was noticeable as well as side burns. This was undoubtedly Lane and Frankie knew it. When the figure came walking in Frankie ran up to Lane and jumped up into his arms, forcing him to the ground. Lane was covered by the drool of Frankie licking at his face and arms. He tried desperately to break away from the dogs overwhelming joy to see her best friend return. Frankie had been with Grandma G for ages and being all alone wasn't an option Lane wanted for the dog. He took Frankie in and when he couldn't keep her in his apartment anymore he put her in the cabin and hired a maid to feed Frankie and also tidy up the house.

"Ok Girl, I get the picture, you missed me." Lane said getting off the floor

Lane enjoyed the smell of the cabin even though it was faded he could smell cinnamon and orange roaming the entire place. Lane didn't recognize that particular smell before.

"Wow, this lady knows her stuff." Lane said walking around to inspect the cabin.

He wandered up the stair way to look around at the rooms which were again clean as a whistle. The Cabin it self was a bit rugged from design. It was entirely constructed of wood. In the living room on the first floor there was a stone fireplace with a throw rug in front of it. The Kitchen was vintage, with an old style oven that was heated by wood. Lane always thought it to be dangerous to have an oven like that in a wooden cabin, but that's the way grandma wanted it. The Stove was complemented by at least a 20 year old fridge but that's just guessing, in the middle of the kitchen was a island, Lane suggested that, it was the only modern thing he could see in the kitchen. The whole place ways decorated like that, gas lamps, raggedy rugs and that smell. Plus the -19 degree temperature matched perfectly. Lane took in a deep breath and felt the complete tranquility of it all.

Lane went to the door a pulled his bags to the room he dubbed as his, long before his grandma passed. The bed was in the center of the room. A large window was behind it peering out at the path down to the town. There were two bed side tables, one with a lamp and the other a picture of Lane and Grandma G. Straight across from the bed was a dresser with a mirror mounted on top of it. The dresser was varnished and it almost looked too beautiful. Roses were carved on the sides, which added that special touchy feely look to it. To the left of the dresser was a door into the bathroom. The bathroom, like the rest of the cabin was classic. It had a solid porcelain tub with a mettle rod coming straight up for the shower head. The sink was the same solid porcelain with a mettle rod poking out for the water. The toilet wasn't any different. He loved the bathroom for some reason, either way the room was just perfect for him. Lane sat on the bed, took his shoes and hat off, and literally collapsed into the bed.

A few hours later Lane was awoken by a mass, covered in fur. Frankie was a Chocolate Labrador who absolutely loved to jump on people, unfortunately for Lane he was the only one around to jump on. Better now then later, for it was way past daylight and Lane hadn't turn on any of the lamps. Fortunately the moon was full and there was a bit of light for him to walk around the house. Lane searched for some matches to light the gas lamps around the house. In all truth the illumination of the lamps made the cabin seem magical, that's most likely the reason Grandma G never bothered to get florescent bulbs. The house was almost completely lit except for one magnificent fireplace. Lane hadn't seen it working in forever and seeing it light up would make this whole experience even better.

As Lane grabbed some lighter fluid he heard faint steps outside. It probably was someone who saw the lights on and came wandering up suspiciously. He walked to the door trying to catch a glimpse of the stranger but all he could see was a shadow.

"Hello there!" Lane shouted waiting for a response. There was no answer just a wave. "So what brings you up here this lovely night?" Lane continued.

"Just wanted to see who was in Georgina's house." The voice called back.

"Just her grandson, looking for a get away"

"That you lane?" The shadowed figured appeared in the fire light now and he was recognized as Vincent Cornello, Lane's buddy in Kake.

"Well, hey Vincent didn't figure you to be hanging around here still."

"Yeah I know I just can't bring myself to leave this town, speaking of which, what brings you around here?" Vincent asked

"Well, I needed a break..." Vincent looked at him in confusion, "from all the hustle and bustle of life."

"Ah yes, the get down with nature thing, eh" Vincent laughed

"Well don't freeze yourself man, c'mon in."

"I can't, I just wanted to see what's going on up here."

"Well it's just me."

"How long you in town for?" Vincent asked hoping that Lane might be around for a while to catch up, Vincent and Lane had been such good friends until Lane left for the British life.

"To tell you the truth man, I ain't got a clue. I was planning on a month but who knows. I just need to un-wined but I'll definitely be around for a little bit.

"That's good to hear; well I'll catch you in town soon all right man." Vincent walked down the path to town waving.

"You got it Vince!"

Lane spent the remainder of that evening looking through all the old stuff that his grandma had stowed away and reading letters between the two of them. It was really great for Lane. He all ready felt relaxed and less stressed than he had ever felt in a long time. Around 3 am he finally went to sleep in front of the fireplace with Frankie lying on the floor next to him.

When the morning came Lane got up and started up the stairs to the shower. As he was stripping he could remember how the cold air would always make him have goose bumps, and sure enough goose bumps came all over his body. He turned the shower knobs on and stepped into the tub. The hot water that spouted out of the shower head was a soothing massage to Lane. The warmth of tiny little hands pouring over his tan skin was amazingly comfortable. In truth the feeling for him was semi-orgasmic, but that's just him. A few minutes after, Lane heard the door open. He turned and saw a women shriek in fear.

"Calm down" Lane said reaching for a towel.

"Who the hell are you?!" The girl yelled in anger now more than fear.

"I'm Georgina's grandson, who are you?" Lane replied tying the towel around his waist.

"Lane?" The girl searched Lane's figure "Lane, it is you!" She ran up to Lane and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head on his wet chest.

"Um...Hi" Lane said questionably

"I doubt you'd remember me, I was here when your grandmother died. My name is Kenai."

"That's right; you were the one that left her those white roses." Lane stared in memory, then with a puzzled look spoke again "You were also in the will, right?

Kenai shook her head in agreement. "She was my best friend when I first came here. I miss her..." Kenai unclenched herself from Lane smiling at him.

"I know what you mean, my grandmother meant a lot me." Lane went to the dresser in the bedroom and put a shirt on. He sleekly slipped a pair of boxers underneath the towel and up his legs. Kenai turned her head with embarrassment written all over her cheeks.

"She talked about you all the time," She said trying to continue the conversation "how you went off to London with your Uncle, and then had to come back because of what happened to your parents..." she trailed off glancing at the floor. "So where are you at nowadays?"

"Florida, I'm a journalist at one of the local times." Lane said pulling his jeans up

"Really, I bet that's interesting."

"You'd think so right? I don't know maybe I'm just tired of it."

"Not fun anymore?"

Lane smirked, "It never really was fun for me. I always wanted to write novels, but it doesn't pay bills as quickly as journalism does."

Kenai jumped into realization "I have to be getting to work."

"Wait!" Lane reached. Kenai turned to look "Where do you work, maybe I could tag along"

She smirked at Lane "I work here silly, I'm the house keeper that you pay every month"

"You clean the house?"

"Yep" Kenai walked down the stairs towards the kitchen. Lane slowly following behind.

"I thought Ms. Leigh was the house keeper."

"She was, but she said I could have it if I wanted it and I did."

"So I've been sending the checks to the wrong person."

"No you haven't, see since I live with Ms. Leigh, I get my mail with hers." Kenai walked past Lane and began her routine.

"You live with Ms. Leigh." It was a statement not a question. "Well since your work is here I guess I'll head into town for a little bit, maybe get some real food...for me and Frankie"

"What, you don't want to 'tag along' anymore" She smiled at him sarcastically

"It's not that, I just thought you worked in town"

"Ah, so you were going to use me."

"No, it's not like that..." Lane paused in defeat, searching for words that could save him from shame "I just thought that perhaps you could take me into town, gives me a better excuse to be in town anyway"

"What does?" She paused her routine to look at him straight on

"Having to... escort a friend to her job...a lot better reason than food"

Kenai crocked a smile to Lane "Well I don't work in town till later but if you want you can head down there with out me."

"I think I might just do that."

"Okay" Kenai laughed at the end.

Lane grabbed his hat and walked out the door, Frankie slowly followed him.

"You want to come along Frankie? Let's go then."

Frankie jumped into the bed of the Chevy truck and shortly after the truck headed down the hill.

Lane hadn't been around the place in a decade but nothing seemed to change. There was still the hardware store that always had everything you needed. There was still the small grocery store that was still run by the Dysons. It was basically a one horse town. Lane pulled the truck into the parking lot next to the Dysons store.

"Frankie you gonna stay here?" Lane was responded with an upbeat bark "Good. I'll be right back"

As Lane walked into the store he noticed only a few people walking around with shopping karts. At the check out line there were two girls who probably resembled best the Hilton sisters; those were the Dysons' kids, Jessie and Ruth. Lane walked around the store grabbing what he needed whilst looking around the place. After finishing off his tasks he headed to the check out line but was abruptly halted by a slightly overweight woman.

"In all my years...Lane come and give me a hug!" Lane was lunged on.

"Hi Mrs. Dyson" Lane said gasping for air

"How long has it been boy?"

"About ten years"

"And look how much that has changed you. You've grown at least 3 inches, although you could fix that scruffy brown hair of yours. Where is...Jo! Get your ass out her and see Lane!" She paused for a moment. A man came walking out from the back room, his hair wasn't completely grey but his 50 some years were showing on him.

"Hey boy, how you been?" Mr. Dyson asked.

"Been well, I got myself working in Florida..."

"Why are you so far away?" Mrs. Dyson exclaimed

"I don't know, just worked out that way..." There was silence for the next few seconds "Well I don't want to be rude but I need to get going"

"Of course, it's nice talking to you son." Mr. Dyson uttered before Mrs. Dyson could object.

"You too sir."

Putting his bags in the truck he saw Kenai driving past. Her black hair was flinging every which way in the green Jeep. He'd been trying to remember her from before. The only thing he could grasp from the past was that she'd been close to Grandma G, and that she had told him at the cabin.

"Hey buddy!" A voice shouted from behind him

Lane turned and saw Vince "Dude, you scared me."

"Sorry man, what were you looking at?" Vince raised his head and looked at the car Lane had been looking at. "Oh, you can't be going after Kenai, it's a waste of time."

"I wasn't even thinking about that"

"Oh but you were looking at her, and you jumped higher than the moon when I said hi"

"So, that doesn't prove anything."

"Whatever, I'm just saying Kenai won't go out with anybody."

"Why's that?"

"I don't know? She just doesn't date."

"Sounds like you know for a fact"

"Hey, let's not point fingers here."

"Okay. So what are doing here?"

"I'm just waiting for Ruth to knock off."

"So you and Ruth..."

"Not yet, but we're getting there"

"I wish you luck man, Ruth seems like a nice girl."

"She is!"

Frankie barked from the truck signaling her want for attention. Before Lane could say goodbye Vincent had left down the street trying to catch up with Ruth.

Lane walked into the cabin greeted with the fragrance that he'd been trying to grow accustomed to. Lane put away the groceries and slumped on the couch. As the hours passed Lane thought of all the things that he was getting away from. His job was becoming less interested in news and more interesting in the modern age. His community became more noisy and violent. His life was swirling the drain. Lane let out a huge sigh and drifted off into sleep.

When he came to, outside the cabin was dark. The phone was ringing, the reason he woke up.

"Hello." He said in a dull, tired tone.

"Lane! Hey man listen, come on down to the bar. I want my buddy to at least have some fun while he's here.

"All righty then, I'll be down in a few minutes."

Walking into the bar Lane felt a bit tense, he wasn't that big of a drinker but Vince wanted to hang out and Lane needed to get reacquainted with his old friends. The bar didn't really look like a bar at all; it reminded him of an old western saloon. True a saloon was a bar but it didn't really resemble anything he was used to.

"Lane!" Vince came running from the far end of the bar "What's up buddy"

"Hey Vince."

"Happy you made it buddy, listen there are a couple of Ruth's friends hanging out with us, now I know it can get a bit lonely up in that cabin of yours so try and bring one home with you."

"Are you serious? Dude, I'm not like that, I'll be friendly but I won't be bringing them home with me."

"Whatever. Just letting you know up front, these girls are hot!"

At the booth Ruth sat with her sister and two other girls that didn't strike Lane as the small town girls. Their faces were tan, meaning they weren't from around here, their hair was silky smooth, and there cloths were something out of a Victoria's Secret store for sure.

"Hey all, this is my buddy Lane. Ruth and Jessie, you all ready know, these two are Shelby and Morgan. They are friends from out of town

"Where from?" Lane joined in

"Well we're from Texas" The taller redhead, which Vince pointed out as Shelby said. "We went to school up here and left afterwards, it's too cold for us up here."

"Really, that's a shame. I think the cold is kind of tranquil if you ask me."

"What ever goes for you I guess?" The other girl said

"Well if you don't mind I'm going to go get a drink. Can I get ya'll anything?"

"No, I think we're good" Lane shook his head and went for the bar.

"Can I get a glass of water please" Lane asked looking back at his table of friends.

"Weird, I'd figure you a drinking man." The voice behind the bar was familiar.

"Now that sounds like Kenai." Lane turned around to the lady.

"Here's your water." Kenai handed him the water

"Well, well...this is definitely a surprise." Lane took a small sip of his water

"Better get back to your friends Lane."

"Hold on Kenai." She turned to him with curious eyes. "Let's talk me and you."

"About what?"

"Well, that sent that was in my house today, it's nice"

"Are you hitting on me Lane?"

Lane backed up with sarcasm "What, me hit on you, you're so crazy. I'm just making small talk. Besides Vincent said you aren't the dating type."

"So you asked Vincent did you?"

"No, he was telling stories about the people in this town and your name came up."

"Ahah." Kenai went to serve another man at the bar three bodies away from Lane.

"So why is that?"

"Why is what" Her voice came

"You not dating, I'd figure you to be one of those people that have a serious relationship going on."

"Lane, I get several men in here every night asking me the same question, what makes you think you are any different."

"Kenai, chill. I just was asking a question. If you don't want to answer you don't have to." Lane took another sip of his water and started walking towards Vince and the girls. "Have a good night Kenai." Lane threw a small wave at her.

"Yeah, you too." Kenai almost whispered the response

"I was getting worried about you Lane" Vince said lightly laughing from the good time he was having with Ruth

"Sorry I was gone so long, I was listening to a conversation the guy beside me was having. Did you know that over 10 bears died in the last two weeks?" Lane over heard a small bit of conversation during his time with Kenai. In all truth it did interest him but he was more interested in the conversation he was having, rather than that one.

"That's interesting, Lane, Shelby here has informed us that she will be modeling for a magazine shortly." Vincent sent wagering eyes toward Lane, telling him to converse.

"Really, that seems fascinating. I never understood how people could model. It's a lost art I suppose."

"Not really, it's just expressing yourself through film." Shelby's voice was eminently jumpy.

Lane was hardly needed anywhere but..."Well I apologize for my rudeness but I do have to get going." He finished his water and walked off.

Outside the bar Lane took in deep breathes of the cold night air.

"Lane!" Vince's voice came rushing behind him "Lane, what the hell was that?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do I mea-Lane! You just blew of two really hot girls, not to mention Ruth and Jessie. I mean I'm trying to get you a decent nail whilst you're here."

"A decent nail? Vince I am not interested in a decent nail. I appreciate the effort but I am not going for the next playboy model, I'm not that kind of person...besides I don't really want to get involved at the moment."

Vince sighed and lent against the wall behind him. "Lane I hear what you're saying but I can't understand you. I mean I know you like steady relationships but Ruth isn't prone to guys and Kenai isn't-"

Lane cut him off "Kenai? When did she come into the conversation?"

"C'mon man, I saw you flirting with her up at the bar. I may not be an Einstein but I could see you two."

12