Immortal Ch. 04

Story Info
Elizabeth fades away while Lothie reveals a secret.
3k words
4.7
20.6k
2

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/26/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

********************************
Author's Note: This chapter has been a long time in coming. To my reader's that have been waiting a while, I promise to not keep you waiting this long for the next chapter. Life just gets crazy sometimes. I suggest that you read the first few chapters before starting on this one. It's a short one, but I couldn't wait anymore to post it. I split one huge chapter into two, so watch for the next one. It's good to be back. :)
********************************

It had been a long few days since the incident between Elizabeth and the Duke. The man was going out of his way to try and gain Elizabeth’s attentions despite the warnings from Gabriella, a fact that made the vampires anger boil. She had to keep it in check though. She’d promised Lothie that she wouldn’t kill the worthless waste of flesh, but the thought did seem very tempting.

She’d thrown everything that she had within her into molding Elizabeth into the very vision of a lady. The young girl had flourished under the attention, learning to read at an alarming rate and smiling for the first time since Gabriella had known her. To say that she was a pet would be a bit of an understatement, Elizabeth was now, in Gabriella’s mind, a daughter and she would do everything in her power to protect and nurture.

Somehow Gabriella wasn’t surprised when the Duke announced a feast to be held the day after she’d dragged Elizabeth away from him. The man was playing every card he had in his deck and his ultimate goal would be Elizabeth, well, over Gabriella’s dead body and suddenly being immortal had it’s bonuses.

Gabriella never saw the point of a feast. It was just a way to show wealth, of which the Duke had much, but it was a waste of time and money. Food she couldn’t eat, a person she couldn’t stand, and people that were just as fake as he was. At least Elizabeth looked forward to the revelry. In fact, they’d spent quite a lot of time in the evenings picking out an outfit that would look outstanding on her. It had taken a while to find one that would fit her ever shrinking frame just right and give her a hint of color, but the red brocade gown did just that. Elizabeth looked almost normal, in fact, something that delighted Gabriella.

The night of the feast was cold and dark, a spitting snow outside as everyone, from servant to noble, tried to gather within the halls. Gabriella stood smirking as Elizabeth danced with the men assembled, much the envy of the ladies of the house, she was sure. Out of nowhere, she felt the presence of another and looking to her right, she smiled as she saw Dmitri standing there, arms crossed as he brooded.

“You seem to be everywhere these days, Dmitri.” She murmured softly as the Duke cut in on Elizabeth dancing with a young knight. She narrowed her eyes as she saw this, biting her tongue to keep from rushing out into the hall and causing a scene. “Lurking in every shadow. You’ll make quite the reputation for yourself.”

“If people notice that is.” He answered back, turning his head slightly to smile at her.

“Tell me, what brings you here? Still working for Alexander?”

He laughed slightly as he turned and leaned against the stone wall beside her, turning so no one could hear their conversation. “Da, Sasha and I still do business together.”

“And how is he doing these days?” She asked, genuinely taken by the conversation. Alexander was a man that was very highly regarded by both her and Lothie along with many other vampires in the area.

“Well for a man that is over 500 years old.” He said with a laugh as he turned to watch Elizabeth dance. “I’m here to collect a soul.”

“Morbid business you have there, Dmitri.” Gabriella said as she looked at him closely. She hadn’t expected that he would be here on business, but she couldn’t say that the news exactly surprised her.

“Well, being an Immortal is no different than being a vampire, now is it? We both collect souls, just for different reasons. I, to continue to cycle of life, and you, to feed and survive.” He explained, brushing off a piece of lint from his doublet. Stepping in front of her, Dmitri took her hand and placed a soft kiss against her skin. He smiled up at her, straightening up as he prepared to leave. “Please tell Lothie that I send him the best regards.”

“I will.” Gabriella said with a slight curtsy. She paused for a moment, staring into his eyes as she tried to delve into his business. “Dmitri, whose soul are you here to claim?”

He smiled sadly and looked over his shoulder at the pair dancing on the floor. Elizabeth and the Duke, palms touching were dancing to the music as they talked quietly among themselves.

“Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? Their soul is black, weak, and now it is time for them to continue on with their next life.” He said mysteriously as he bowed deeply and left as quickly as he had appeared.

Gabriella stood stunned at Dmitri’s admission. Immortals only took the souls of other Immortals, that was the way that their laws worked. Looking up as the music ended, followed by light applause, she shook her head gently. One of them is an Immortal. She thought, looking at the Duke and Elizabeth. A dark soul that is weak, he must be talking about the Duke. She soothed herself with that thought, the moment of panic that he was here to take Elizabeth quickly passing. Her thoughts were interrupted by a hand on her shoulder and turning, Gabriella had to restrain a squeal of delight as she met Lothie’s dark eyes.

“Darling.” She whispered, wrapping him in a tight hug and kissing him passionately.

“I see that you missed me.” He said with a chuckle as she pulled back from the kiss.

“More than you will ever know.” Gabriella whispered, her smile fading slightly as she saw the pained look in Lothie’s eyes. “Darling, what’s wrong?” She asked, loosening the hold that she had around his neck and taking a slight step back.

“We must talk.” He said as he took her by the elbow, making her forget about leaving Elizabeth alone with that detestable man as Lothie led her through the halls to their chambers. Shutting the door behind him, he turned to look at her, thinking of what he wanted to say. “We have a problem.”

“Well, I see that, Lothie. What problem do we have?” She asked softly, unable to gain any information from the stony mask that Lothie wore to mask his emotions.

“Richard Hudson died.” He said simply, cutting straight to the point. “So now, that girl is left without a soul in the world to look after her. She’s our ward now.”

Gabriella tried hard to hide the smile that was creeping onto her face. Elizabeth was theirs, forever and beyond. However, she could see that Lothie was less that enthusiastic as he talked.

“Lothie.” She said, stopping him in mid sentence. “I know what you’re feeling, but we can work through all of this. I can’t let her go.” The words were heartfelt and very profound. What was suppose to be a pet project for her had turned into a labor of love and she wasn’t going to let him just send her away. “Talk to her.” She whispered as she walked closer to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I know that you’re stronger then that.” She placed a fleeting kiss to his lips and grinned, the tips of her fangs showing over her bottom lip.

Lothie laughed slightly and grinned. “For you, I will.” And I’m crazy for doing it, he thought silently, placing another kiss to Gabriella’s lips. Love could make you do strange things.

*******************************

Lothie stopped in the entrance to the library, smiling as he saw Elizabeth sitting at the instrument. Her posture was perfect, her back straight and head held high as she picked and played at the keys in front of her. She looked tired from the party and he had to wonder just how she’d escaped the Duke afterwards. She was a slippery one, it seemed, which made him admire her all the more. He cleared his throat, running a hand through his hair as she turned her attentions from the keyboard to the doorway, a small smile crossing her lips.

“You’re back.” She said, her voice hoarse and forced.

“Yes, I am, my dear.” Lothie answered, walking over and sitting down on the bench beside her. “You’re going to turn into Gabriella if you spend much more time in this room.” He said with a laugh.

Elizabeth smiled and coughed, wiping away a drop of blood that appeared on her lips. The smile disappeared as quickly as it came, replaced by a sullen look that added many years to her sweet face.

“I have something to tell you…” Lothie began, taking a deep breath as he clasped his hands together in his lap, unsure of how to start.

“Richard’s gone.” Elizabeth whispered, startling him.

Lothie’s eyes narrowed as he looked over the girl again. “How did you know that?” He asked, his brow furrowing.

“I’ve known for a while now. I made my peace.” Elizabeth said with a sigh, turning to look at him as a tear streamed down her cheek. “It won’t be long until I see him again.”

Elizabeth smiled, her eyes watering as she struggled to keep her composure. Lothie looked upon her with a calm that belied his real feelings, reaching out a hand to softly caress her cheek, wiping away the tears the suddenly poured over her face. He felt a tear come to his own eye, watching her face contort and her head slowly fall forward, resting against his chest.

“When he never came back, I knew.” She whispered into his chest, a sob wracking her tiny shoulders. “He loved me too much not to have sent word or a letter.”

Lothie sighed and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight against his chest. She was so warm in his arms, he closed his eyes and savored that feeling. It wasn’t soon before he felt a familiar twinge in his stomach, feeling the blood rush through Elizabeth’s body as his arms became tighter and tighter around her. He gritted his teeth, warring with his own mind as he mentally screamed at himself to let go. He couldn’t do this to her; not now and not ever…but then again, it would be so simple. Just a quick bite…

“No.” He said quickly, standing up and letting her fall to the bench with a thud that scared her and brought him out of his fog. Startled, Elizabeth pushed herself up and look up at Lothie, who was looking upon her with a look of disgust and compassion.


“You have to leave.” He stated finally, his voice filling the silence completely. He couldn’t keep his promise to Gabriella, no matter how much this girl meant to her.

“What?” Elizabeth asked, her eyes widening as her jaw opened in shock. He‘d promised her that she could stay. He couldn‘t just push her out into the streets.

“I’ll give you money. Whatever you need, princess, but you cannot stay with me and Gabriella any longer.”

“You…you can’t send me away.” Elizabeth stammered, standing up and walking towards him.

“I can do whatever I please.” Lothie hissed, unsure of whether to be angry at himself or Elizabeth. He took a step back from her, dodging her hand as she sought to grab onto him.

Taking in quick, short breaths, Elizabeth rushed forward grabbing Lothie by the sleeve of his tunic, her eyes wide and pleading. “Please, Lothie. Please, you can’t send me away!” She shouted, tears flowing down her cheeks anew. “I feel safe here! I love Gabriella! I love the how you treat me. Please, I…”

She couldn’t get the last words out before a huge cough wracked her body, doubling her over in pain. Lothie spun around as her words were cut off, backing away as she sank to the floor, clutching her chest.

“Elizabeth?” He whispered, concerned.

Her mouth was open, face bright red as she struggled to breathe. A small squeaking sound coming from her throat. Whimpering, she looked from the floor into his eyes, fear evident as her body began to shake. Quickly, Lothie ran to her, wrapping his arm his around her and pulling her firmly against his chest.

“It’s alright. Calm down and just breathe.” He whispered into her ear, feeling her tiny body tremble in his arms.

Elizabeth focused on his words, taking in enough air to let out another cough, blood speckling over her hands as Lothie’s grip around her body tightened.

“Dear God.” She heard him whisper to himself as she coughed again, unable to stop the blood from flowing.

“Help…me.” She managed to whisper between coughs, hot tears pouring over her cheeks as she thought that these would be her last moments. She didn‘t want to die like this.

He had no idea how to help her, nothing had ever been done for him when he was ill with the cough. There was only one thing that he could think of and he was even loathed to think of such a thing. But she was fading on him, dying in his arms at that moment. He had to do it; he had to save her life.

“Please forgive me, Elizabeth.” He whispered as he brushed her hair away from her neck and quickly sinking his fangs in without a second thought.

He heard her give a squeal, struggling in his arms before going stiff and ridged. He wrapped his arms tighter around her body, pinning her arms to her side as he drank, feeling her pulse weaken and slow, her breathing becoming easier. She whimpered again, letting her head drop against his shoulder, moaning softly at the wave of emotions that swept over her mind. Ecstasy, love, hate, anger, jealousy, and madness poured over her body, wrapping around it as she could feel Lothie’s heartbeat against her skin.

Slowly, Lothie let his grip go on her neck, watching as her head lulled limply on his shoulder. He gulped, watching her chest intently as she breathed in and out, taking deep breaths with ease. Her blood was sweet against his lips, yet it tasted of sickness.

“Lothie?” Elizabeth whispered weakly as he turned her in his arms, cradling her against his chest. “What was that?”

He looked down at her, his dark eyes noting her flushed pink skin now marred on her throat with a large bruise. Gathering her up against him, Lothie stood up and pushed open the door with his shoulder, making his way through the hallways until he came back to her room.

She was shivering as he lay her down on the bed, shaking with the loss of blood as he gently reached down and undid the stays of her bodice, pulling it off her body and tossing it to the ground. He shook his head slightly as he stared at the frail body beneath the thin chemise, something that was once so beautiful that now looked ghastly.

“Princess.” He whispered as he pulled back the quilts and tucked her into bed, taking a seat beside her as he gently stroked her soaked brow with his fingertips. “That was a mistake.”

“What are you?” Elizabeth whispered softly, her eyes never leaving his and her voice sounding strangely calm and unafraid.

Lothie sighed and looked away for a moment, thinking of what he should tell her. If he told her the truth, she would fear him but if he lied it could be much worse for all of them.

“I…promise me that you will be unafraid.” He said quickly, looking down at her as she nodded, clutching the quilt tight in her hands. He reached out a hand, stroking a flush cheek as he thought of what to say. He’d never had to explain before, he always just took. “Princess, I’m a creature of the night.” Her eyes went wide as he said that. He could almost see her brain trying to wrap around that fact.

“Bu…but they’re not real.” She said, her voice hoarse and weak as her eyes struggled suddenly against sleep.

“Oh, but we are. Gabriella and I both and I have to ask you now to guard that secret.” He leaned across the bed, moving to lay beside her as he continued to stroke her cheek with his cool hand. “We can protect you, princess. Provide a life. I wish to do that for you, because I can see that you don’t have much life left.” He watched as tears slowly gathered in her eyes as she stared at him with a frightened look.

Elizabeth’s heart sank when Lothie mentioned death. She knew in her heart that she was dying, but to have someone else mention it was almost too much. She curled up on her side, pressing her face against his chest as she started to sob. “I don’t want to die.” She cried out, feeling his arms wrap around her and hold her close.

Lothie let her cry, running his hands up and down her back until her sobs turned to hiccups. There was a way, but he could never offer it to her. She had to make the decision willingly. A vampire who was angry and resentful was a dangerous being. He pulled back as he noticed her still form and saw that she’d drifted off into an exhausted sleep.

“You must ask, princess.” He whispered softly, pressing his cheek against the top of her head, breathing in the scent off her hair. She knew now and could make her own decision. She had to before she wasted away into nothing for then it would be too late.

**********************************
What will Elizabeth decide? Who exactly is Dmitri and what is he doing lurking around? Will Lothie ever accept Elizabeth? Find out in the next chapter....
**********************************