In My Life Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Carmella had watched the entire scene and knew the problem. She understood Maria's emotions. Emerson's story had upset Carmella as well. Still, it was regrettable that Maria had mentioned Emerson's father as she had.

"Emerson, I'm sure Maria didn't mean that comment she made. I think the idea of shootings, especially at Christmas, was upsetting. Don't hold it against her."

As Emerson put on the shirt Pat Casey had just given him, he spoke to Carmella. "I don't blame Maria. I have never given her any reason to think well of me. Her conclusions are not unreasonable, given what she knows about me, and my father. Thanks for everything. I'll be on my way now."

Pat Casey walked with Emerson to his horse. He spoke as Emerson mounted. "I guess this started the whole thing in motion. Now you see what we are up against. Taylor is desperate to control the entire basin. I'm even more determined to stop him, especially after this. Emerson, Carmella and I won't forget what you did for Maria today."

"I think getting a herd through to Santa Fe will go a long ways in ruining his plans, Pat. We have to work on getting that done. As for helping Maria, I'll do that any chance I get." Emerson mounted his horse as he spoke and turned down the trail toward home.

Carmella went to Maria's room and found her face buried in a pillow, with muffled sobs the only indication Maria was awake.

"Maria, you've had a very difficult day. I want you to have some dinner and get some sleep. You will feel better in the morning."

"Mother, I don't know what made me say those terrible things." Maria turned her face to look at her mother. Tears were flowing down her cheeks. "I just became so angry when I saw that scar."

"I think I know how you feel." Carmella sat down on the bed and wiped the tears from Maria's cheeks. "The idea that he could have killed in some far away place, and on a special day seems terrible. Men don't seem to think of others when they do some of the things they do."

"However, Maria, that comment about his father was unkind," continued Carmella. "You must try not to bring up things like that, unless of course, you really do hate Emerson. To be honest, I didn't get the impression you hated him when you worked on his shoulder. It seemed quite the opposite."

Maria looked down as she replied, "Mother, I guess I don't really hate him, but don't go making us into something we aren't. We will probably never even be good friends. Too much has happened. I have trouble forgetting things he said and did, and he must hate me after what I said tonight."

Carmella smiled as she caressed her daughter's cheek. "I have the impression Emerson could never hate you. In fact, he seems to be quite smitten by you."

"I think your imagination is taking over for you now, Mother. Look how I've treated him since he's been back. I'm certain he cannot even tolerate me now."

Carmella decided to let the conversation end. Maria seemed calmer and was considering what Carmella had said.

"Maria, you have to be more careful. Your father, or Emerson, may not always be around to help. Try not to get into situations that are dangerous."

"Mother, we were in the middle of town in broad daylight! How much more careful should I have to be?"

"It seems that Taylor is having his men terrorize women. That won't be allowed in this country. He will have problems answering for his men, but you be careful. You are too lovely to fall into the clutches of men like Hogan." Carmella stated.

"Mother, Red Gately had a black eye and he was very careful to avoid Emerson. I heard him tell Lang that Emerson was the one that helped 'the Casey woman' out the other day. What was that about?"

Pat Casey had stepped in the doorway as Maria spoke. He swung to his wife. "Carmella, what is she talking about? Did you have a problem with that damn Red Gately?"

Father and daughter turned their attention to Carmella. "It wasn't so much. Red made some insulting remarks at Simon's station while we were switching teams. He made the mistake of doing so with Emerson present. I was able to step over Red's unconscious body and resume my trip home. I saw no reason to upset everyone and cause even more friction with Taylor's hardcase bunch. I don't want anyone hurt."

Pat Casey hugged his wife. "I understand how you feel, but don't ever keep something like this from me again! I should thank Emerson for helping you. Gately, Hogan, and Lang. Maybe he can make this trail drive work, although I'm sure it will take more than fists before it's all done."

That evening Maria went to bed early. She needed to be alone to sort out her thoughts. Her father and Ernie were actually excited about the impending trail drive. Emerson had given them hope when everything seemed darkest. Her mother obviously held Emerson in high regard. Maria could only imagine how the Jordans, especially Cathy, would feel toward Emerson. Cathy had made no secret of her interest in the rugged, good looks of Emerson.

Maria wondered how Emerson felt about Cathy and knew an unusual emotion. Why should she care? Hadn't she, Maria, gotten over him years ago. She was no longer a school girl with infatuations. She thought back to the times she had cried herself to sleep in this very room because of Emerson Trask. He would never break her heart again! The problem was, he was becoming difficult to hate, and that concerned her. With these thoughts going through her mind she fell asleep.

As Emerson rode home, he found his thoughts returning to Hogan striking Maria and the reaction it had caused in him. He knew that he would never be able to see Maria suffer without feeling pain himself. His anger had been uncontrollable. Emerson was glad that Maria had stopped him from hurting Hogan any further.

Emerson knew Taylor's men would not have started the trouble if they hadn't been encouraged, or even ordered, to do so by Taylor. This was a man Emerson had come to dislike, and he had yet to meet him.

Emerson again turned his thoughts to Maria. She had become very upset when she heard his response to her questions about the scar. She had accused him of being like his father, which was not intended as a compliment. Reasonably, what else could she think? A person doesn't get scarred like that in church. It had to be from some sort of fight. She was right about that.

Still, she had been so tender when she had stitched his cut.

He knew he should never get his hopes up where Maria was concerned. Girls like her deserved the very best. Emerson decided he would have to be content doing whatever he could to help Maria and her family. He had no right to expect anything more.

Tom Gordon rode into the Casey yard early the next morning. He wasted no time in telling Pat why he was there.

"Pat, I showed yellow yesterday in town and I'm ashamed of it. I want to help you get your cattle ready for the trail drive and then go with you on that drive. I have to prove to myself, and everyone else, that I have some nerve! Will you let me help?"

Pat Casey listened to the young man's anguish. Then he spoke, "I would be proud to have you along! Admitting you had fear goes a long way to getting over it. You seem to have learned that there are worse things than being beaten in a fight. Your pride was hurt. I think the next few weeks will give you the chance to regain it."

That morning the Casey spread was a beehive of activity. Pat, Ernie, Tom, and Joe Mauro, the only rider Pat had been able to retain since the previous year, were readying equipment and horses. Everyone was busy and felt as if they were once again working a cattle ranch. Maria was helping where she could when she heard a horse trot into the yard.

Cathy Jordan sat on her mare, looking in the direction of Tom Gordon.

"Maria, what is he doing here? Isn't he afraid he'll get hurt?"

It was obvious that Cathy had not forgotten the part Tom played, or did not play, in the previous day's events.

"I know how you feel, Cathy. Tom showed up early this morning. He asked Dad if he could join up. He said he showed yellow and wanted to prove to himself and everyone else that he had some backbone. I think he showed courage admitting he was afraid of Hogan and Lang," Maria responded.

"He admitted he was afraid?" asked Cathy. "That's a step in the right direction. He'll have opportunities to show some nerve on the drive. It won't be a picnic."

Maria knew Cathy would take awhile to calm down and in a few days would regret some of the things she said today. "You're riding early today so I guess you must feel okay. How is Bob doing?"

"Bob can't get out of bed this morning and his face is swollen and purple. He feels proud that he didn't take any lip from that awful Hogan, but he's down about getting whipped like he did. He is real upset about Hogan hitting me. In fact, I think that bothers him the most."

"Well, you tell him that I'm real proud of him. He had to have a great deal of courage to take on Hogan." Maria was sincere. "There aren't many men that could handle him like Emerson did."

"I'll tell him. I can't stop thinking about that brute Hogan and how he struck us. Maria, for some reason I expected more from Tom. I know he's a banker that grew up in the city, but I really thought he would come through when the chips were down."

"I'm riding over to Miguel's and I was hoping you would ride with me. Dad wouldn't commit to trailing a herd yesterday when Emerson stopped by, but nothing can stop us now!" Cathy's spirits lifted as she spoke. "Was Dad mad when he saw Bob! At first he didn't notice my cheek. When he saw this mark he almost went berserk! We practically had to tie him down to keep him from going after Hogan. When Bob and I described the beating Emerson gave Hogan and the sorry shape we left him in, Dad seemed a lot happier"

"I'd like to go with you but I have a list of things we need from town and didn't remember yesterday, so-"

Maria was cut off by her mother. "Maria, ride with Cathy. You can run those errands later. I think it would be good for you both."

Cathy saw the opening, "Thanks, Carmella. Maria I'll get your horse while you hurry and get ready to go. I'll be waiting."

Maria noticed her mother's glance as she was preparing to leave. "I never go anywhere not looking my best, so don't read anything into this." Maria had changed her shirt and combed her hair differently.

Carmella smiled, "Maria, I don't know what you mean. Remember you are going to watch Emerson like a hawk. I suspect you may be watched some yourself."

As the two women rode Cathy confided, "Maria, Dad had decided not to send a herd. Mother hasn't been well and he didn't want anything to happen to upset her. He was furious at Hogan when Emerson got us home, but my mother was the one! She seems so frail, but she poured it on my father. They were born Texans and it means a lot to them. She wouldn't hear of us not joining when she found out why Hogan had been threatening Bob. She said, "The Vern Jordan I married would have sent a herd and never wavered. Bob showed he wasn't afraid, so deal the Jordans in!"

"This drive frightens me, but my folks feel it is necessary." Maria was talking. "I know there will be shooting and I don't want anyone to get hurt. Everyone seems to think Emerson is the answer to their prayers, but he can't rely on his fists all the time. We're in it, so I am going to help any way possible. I do want it to succeed. I know everyone in the basin needs the money, and besides I hate to see a man like Taylor succeed."

"Maria, you saw Emerson handle those men! I was groggy but I saw it all, and I enjoyed it. He's different from anyone I've ever seen. We saw he was strong that day at the spring. The difference is he has ability and training to go along with it. He is a real fighting man and I don't think he would lose with guns. Bob thinks Emerson is tremendous. He has a way of gaining people's trust."

"I hope he is as capable as you say. We'll find out over the next few weeks if that trust is well placed. I also want you to be kind to Tom. He volunteered to help round the cattle up and drive them to Santa Fe. He feels as low as a man can. He'll show better next time he's tested, I'm sure." Maria continued, "You said Emerson was different. What would have happened to Tom if he had stepped in? Do you think the results would have been good?"

Cathy gave it some thought. "You're right. Tom probably would have been beaten like Bob, or if he won, Lang would have threatened Tom or even shot him. I sure wouldn't want that!"

Maria saw Cathy was softening. "I'm glad you see it that way. It would seem that Emerson did more than just sail the seas the past eight years. I wonder where he learned to fight? I hope he is on the up and up."

Cathy glanced at her friend. "I don't know how someone you don't like could have ever hurt you so badly. Usually, people are hurt by those they like and trust. Could Emerson have been bad enough to deserve this? Did he break your heart?"

Maria maintained her best poker face. "Of course not. He simply insulted and annoyed me beyond human endurance. I am not going to be easily fooled by him. I hope for our sakes he is the real thing."

Before reaching the Hernandez' ranch, the two women came upon Pedro, Shorty, and Miguel working cattle, preparing a herd for the trail. Shorty saw them first and rode over to greet them.

"You ladies have to stop chasing me around like this. I have to think about my reputation."

The two friends laughed and Cathy retorted, "Shorty, you should have thought about that lost commodity a long time ago. We rode over to talk to Emerson. Is he around?"

"He took his sister back to the ranch. Nancy insisted on joining us but she was up before the sun and was worn out by mid morning. How does he rate to have the prettiest girls in the country riding to see him? Cathy, could I ask about that bruise on your cheek? In fact, it seems to be contagious. Maria, what happened?"

Maria answered for them both. "We can't be seen talking to a man of your reputation. Emerson can answer all your questions. We are here on business, so don't consider him too lucky."

Shorty chuckled, "I heard you two have been fighting since you were big enough to walk. I wouldn't want to fight him now, although I would guess you're better equipped for it than I am."

Now Maria laughed. "I choose to take that remark as a compliment, but I should be insulted. We have to leave before you sweet talk us any more. So long."

Fifteen minutes saw the two travelers ride into the Hernandez yard. Emerson was conversing with his mother as they approached. Molly Hernandez' happiness was apparent.

"Come in girls! I can't remember the last time you two visited. You both know Emerson. Of course Maria does. You two go back quite a ways. Cathy Jordan, my son, Emerson. Cathy's family moved into the basin several years ago, from Texas."

"Molly, I've seen this cowboy a few times, though not always with so much clothes on," Cathy laughed. "I also saw him in town for a short time yesterday, or didn't he mention it?"

"Dear, I'm not certain I follow all of what you just said, but Emerson didn't mention seeing you in town, or even that he was in town. I'll get you both a drink." Molly disappeared into the house, leaving Emerson with the two girls.

"Emerson, you didn't tell anyone about that fight! I know you didn't forget about it, so you must have your reasons, other than modesty." Cathy had dismounted and walked up to Emerson as Maria watched. "You're red. Did I embarrass you?"

Emerson looked at Cathy's bruise as he spoke, "You say the darndest things. That remark about me wearing clothes wasn't needed. What will my mother think? How is your cheek?" Emerson turned Cathy's face to one side and lightly touched her face.

"Maybe everyone will think I've swept you off your feet. It really doesn't hurt much," Cathy responded as Emerson studied her face. "Bob is real sore. You were right about him not getting out of bed today. Emerson, I can't thank you enough for yesterday, although I have some news that may help. You can deal the Jordans in on this drive to Santa Fe!"

Once again Maria felt conflicting emotions as she watched Cathy and Emerson. They looked like such a fine couple and he really showed concern for her. Why did that bother Maria? If Cathy were foolish enough to fall for this man it shouldn't bother Maria. Yet she felt annoyed.

"I think it's the only choice your family had, other than let Taylor have your place for a song. From what I saw of the Jordans, they don't give up."

Maria could no longer remain silent. "A lot of people are depending on you. This is going to be very dangerous and the enemy won't always settle it with fists. Lives may be lost. I sure hope you are up to it!"

Emerson returned Maria's attention. "Maria, I didn't cause this situation. I am working to help solve it. Men could die and they know that. The freedom to exercise your rights and care for your family is something men have fought and died for over centuries. If life at any cost is more important to someone, they should probably leave this basin, because it will be hot here. Men make choices every day. Some they live with and some they die for."

Emerson saw Maria hesitate at his reply. Why was he always at odds with her? Even so, he admired her fire and nerve. She wasn't one to keep her thoughts and ideas to her self.

"I understand everything you said, and I agree. It's just that these people seem to feel you can make the difference between success and failure, life and death. I hope you don't let everyone down!" Maria shot back.

Cathy spoke up, "Okay, you two! We are on the same side and we'll do all we can to make this work. Let it go at that."

"Maria told me that Tom Gordon, the son of our local banker, is going on the drive. He was a spectator at yesterday's show and feels guilty about his lack of nerve. He did loan his shirt to Maria. I think he may be a lot of help, although I'll never tell him so. He's sweet on Maria so he'll stick it out." Cathy smiled at Maria as she finished.

"I don't think we should judge him too harshly," Emerson replied. "I understand Tom and his father are quite understanding to the local ranchers, even when the bank must be getting pressure from Taylor. They seem to show some integrity. Maria certainly could do worse."

"I don't need you two to run my personal life!" Maria answered heatedly. "Just worry about getting the cattle to Santa Fe. Tom and I are friends. He is a gentleman, one without any bullet holes in him." Maria regretted her retort as soon as she said it.

Cathy was surprised at Maria's emotion. "What is she talking about now? I've known her for several years and I've never seen her behave this way. You do something to her, Emerson."

Maria realized she was heading back into the same territory she had covered with Emerson the previous evening. Remembering how she had felt after insulting him then, Maria was trying to think of something that would help her seem less miserable. "Emerson, while I am here, I want to check those stitches." Maria dismounted and walked up to join Cathy. "I will not accept any excuses. Sit down on the porch and let me have a look."

"What stitches? What bullet hole? Maria, what is going on?" Cathy was confused by her friend's statement.

Emerson was looking at Maria, trying to read her intentions. "I'll let you check my stitches, although I am certain they are doing fine. First, let me look at that bruise Hogan left." Slowly, Emerson took Maria's face in his left hand and turned it, touching her bruise with his right.

Emerson glanced at the discoloring and studied Maria's face. Her eyes were closed, so he felt he could stare without attracting undo attention. She was more beautiful than he remembered. Her nose was small and straight and her skin flawless. He could smell her fragrance. . Reluctantly, Emerson removed his hand from Maria's cheek.