In the Year of Our Lord, 1684

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,224 Followers

Ingrid, at first, felt slightly uneasy because of his intense gaze, but soon, she warmed to it and welcomed it. She, too, wished to be alone with him for just a little while to get to know him better without the presence of anyone, but she resigned herself to the fact that it was not to be, at least during this visit. Future visits would perhaps relax the tensions of their parents so that they would be allowedsomequiet time together. And she was sure of future visits. In her mind, Ingrid was already making plans to invite Gregor to her sister's wedding, if she could stand the thought of being away from him for that long. Already, her heart was telling her Gregor was the one and if he should propose that very day, she would never second guess her affirmative response.

Gregor's attention was diverted as he saw his father's pained expression to his left. Aleksander clutched his stomach area and winced as beaded sweat appeared upon his forehead. He pushed back his chair and tried to stand, but lacked the strength. Gregor quickly moved to his side as Ingrid, her mother, and others looked on.

"Father, are you all right?"

"Just a bit of indigestion," he gasped. "It will pass."

Gregor called to the servant, "Call the physician at once!" The servant left quickly through the nearest door.

He then helped his father to his feet and began to guide him out of the room. Aleksander turned to his guests and apologized. "I am so sorry for this inconvenience. Please do not let my malaise interfere with your dining. Most likely, I ate too quickly. Please carry on." He managed a weak smile before they disappeared from the room. Aleksander forgot his guests did not speak his language.

Ingrid and her mother exchanged furtive glances as they avoided eye contact with the two sisters. Marta and Xenia were worried, too, but it was not the first time their father had to leave the table abruptly for one ailment or another. The difference was it was happening too regularly now.

Gregor returned a short time later looking sad and preoccupied. Everyone looked to him as he sat down and cleared his throat.

"He is resting. The doctor gave him some medicine and it has calmed his stomach. The doctor assures me he should be fine very soon. Let us enjoy this fine feast. Father would be highly upset if we did not have a grand time because we were worried about him." He began to dine once again.

Ingrid looked at Gregor and could already see the tension in his face, although he tried gamely to hide it. He smiled at her, but she did not see the same sparkle in his eyes as she had before.

After dining, mother and daughter retreated to their rooms where they took warm baths and napped in separate luxurious rooms. Ingrid slept little, as she had during the entire trip thus far, her mind filled with thoughts of Gregor. He was so much better in person than any dream she could imagine. Already, she could tell he was sweet and kind just by the way he spoke to her and the way he tended to his father. His eyes were gentle and there was no possible way he could feign that.

They joined Gregor and his sisters in the late evening for a light dinner. Aleksander remained in bed, preferring to eat there, and sent his apologies. While at lunch, Marta and Xenia sensed the attraction between their brother and Ingrid and had discussed them in private afterward. Outwardly, they said and showed nothing concerning the two, but privately, they were excited as now there was a real possibility for their own marriages to take place.

Gregor's enthusiasm for being with Ingrid again was somewhat tempered by his father's recurring stomach ailment, but he attempted to put up a cheerful front for everyone's sake. Gregor felt a bit out of place being the only male at the table, but he stole glances at Ingrid now and then again and was beginning to feel very much at ease with her. Even with his best efforts, it was a subdued meal as the sisters tried to make small talk with Ingrid and her mother. Although they were not as fluent in the Kessian language as their brother, everyone seemed to enjoy the conversation. Gregor looked upon their conversation thoughtfully and enjoyed listening to Ingrid speak. Her intelligent and witty remarks were most appealing and once again, he wished to be alone with her for just a little while.

It was close to nine o'clock in the evening when the meal was completed. They retreated to the sitting room, a spacious area where Marta and Xenia often did their sewing or entertained their beaus. However, they bid their brother and his guests good night before retiring to bed.

"I should retire also," her mother said, giving Ingrid a look. "It has been a long day. Coming dear?"

"I am not very tired right now, mother," Ingrid replied, daring to challenge her, if but slightly. "I think I would like to chat a spell with Gregor for just a few minutes."

Helga's eyes narrowed somewhat at her daughter's impertinence, but decided it was not enough to start an argument. Besides, Ingrid was not a stupid girl like her sister and she trusted her. Also, if the man involved had been anyone except Gregor, she would not given it another thought to drag her daughter to her room. "I expect you upstairs in ten minutes, my dear, and not a second longer."

"Yes, ma'am," Ingrid replied, not believing what she had just heard. "Thank you," she added.

"You are welcome. Ten minutes."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good night, madam," Gregor said, "and thank you."

Helga eyed him carefully. "Good night, Gregor."

They waited until Helga disappeared up the staircase before turning to each other.

"Would you like to stay here or perhaps walk a little?" Gregor asked.

"Here is fine," Ingrid replied, not wanting to anger her mother. This little bit of freedom was exhilarating and it was something she did not expect.

"I am so glad to have finally met you," Gregor began. "I feel I know you far better than I should. You were very candid in your letters."

"It is hard for me to believe I am here," Ingrid replied nervously. She had never been alone with a man before. "Sometimes, I feel as if I am in a dream and that if I blink, it will all end without me knowing what is to come."

"It is not a dream, Ingrid. You are here with me for a little while, at least."

"You have been so kind to mother and me."

Gregor smiled. "I dare say, I do not believe being mean to you would have put me in your favor!"

Ingrid stamped her foot lightly with hands on hips. "You joke when I try to be serious! I pray this is not how you will be from now on." She smiled at him to let him know she was not angry.

Gregor shrugged his shoulders. "I am the person standing in front of you. I cannot change who I am."

"Nor would I want you to change," Ingrid replied. "A sense of humor is good for a man."

"Or a woman."

"Of course."

Gregor clasped his hands behind his back as a slight awkwardness ensued between the two. Nothing was said for a few moments as Gregor collected his thoughts.

"Are you enjoying your stay so far?" he asked finally.

"Oh yes, I am having a marvelous time."

"Good."

"It was so kind of you to invite me."

Gregor smiled once more, relaxing in the presence of Ingrid. "I do not think I could have stood another day of not seeing you in person. Your letters were wonderful and I so looked forward to receiving them, but to have you here in front of me is what I needed. I simply had to meet you and find out."

"Find out what?" she asked curiously.

Gregor contemplated his answer briefly. "I had to find out if you were as wonderful in person as in your letters," he answered softly.

Ingrid blushed from the compliment. "And what have you found in the short time since my arrival?" she asked coyly, her hands behind her back as she swayed slightly to and fro.

"You far exceed anything I could have imagined." He sighed heavily as he looked upward towards the landing. He knew their time was short and he did not want Ingrid to be late to her room.

"You are very free with your compliments, Gregor. I could very well get used to that."

"Then I shall continue to compliment you forever."

"Forever?"

"Or as long as you can stand me."

Ingrid giggled as she brought her hands in front of her once more. "I think I shall be able to stand you for a very long time, indeed."

"Forever?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, my dear," she answered softly. "Forever."

They stood there motionless and saying nothing, both seemingly having forgotten the ability to speak. Ingrid looked down at her hands momentarily before glancing at Gregor, who was staring off into the distance.

It was not exactly how Ingrid envisioned her future husband's proposal, but of course, there were times when she doubted marriage would ever be in her life at all. She smiled at Gregor before looking in the direction of the stairs.

"I think it is time for me to retire before mother worries."

"Ingrid, I..." Gregor began.

"Shhh," Ingrid said softly while pressing her fingers to his lips. "No more words tonight, dear Gregor. Let us sleep on the words already spoken. We will talk more in the morning."

Still looking dumbfounded, he said, "Good night, then, my dear Ingrid."

"Good night to you, Gregor."

She slowly turned and made her way to the staircase wishing she could stay for hours longer. At the second floor landing, she looked down at Gregor, who was looking up at her, his eyes having followed her every move. She smiled shyly once more before going down the hall and retiring to her room.

Almost an hour went by before Gregor felt he had strength enough to leave. Sitting down on a nearby sofa, he thought through their entire conversation. Had he proposed? Had she accepted? He now wished it had gone better, that he could have said all the things he wanted. Now he would have to wait until morning to talk to her again. Would she change her mind? Would she be angry with him? His mind was in a whirl and he knew sleep would not come easily, if at all. Gathering his strength, Gregor left the room and headed up the stairs. He went first to his father's room, rapping lightly on his heavy oak door before entering. Aleksander was awake and sitting up in his bed with papers strewn about.

"Ah, Gregor, retiring to bed so soon?" His voice was lively again, much to Gregor's pleasure.

"It has been a long day, father. How are you feeling?"

"I feel very well, thank you. Whatever the doctor gave me has me ready to face the world again. How did your evening go? How is Ingrid?"

"She is fine, thank you." Gregor sat down on the edge of the bed. "Father, may I ask you something?"

"Of course." He put aside the scrap of paper he was reading.

"When did you first fall in love with mother?"

The question caught Aleksander by surprise, although he did not show it. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully before speaking. "I should like to say it was the minute she stepped from the boat the day before our wedding, but that would not be the truth. I would say it was perhaps a few months after we were married and felt comfortable enough with each other to sleep in the same bed together."

"You did not share your bed with each other until months after the wedding?"

"No," his father replied sadly. "We did not know each other at all and I did not want to force your mother into something she did not want to do. It took a while, but we eventually warmed to the idea. I believe when I gathered her into my arms that first night, it was the happiest moment of my life." He pushed his spectacles aside and rubbed his eyes.

"Why all the questions, Gregor?" he asked after clearing his throat.

Gregor smiled and looked down. "I think perhaps I am already in love with Ingrid."

"Does she know?"

Gregor nodded. "I think possibly I proposed, but I am not sure. I am a little bit confused right now and my mind is not working properly."

"What does Ingrid say about this?"

"She said we should sleep and talk more tomorrow."

"A very wise woman," Aleksander laughed. "You will do well to keep her."

"I intend to do just that, sir." Gregor rose from the bed. "Good night, father. Thank you for listening."

"You are welcome, Gregor. Keep me posted."

"I will, sir. Good night."

As he suspected, Gregor slept little that night. As the morning sun rose over the distant hillside, Gregor thought it useless to try and sleep anymore. After getting dressed, Gregor took Storm for his morning exercise. Gregor felt free and alive as they knifed through the countryside, the warm summer air whistling by. Storm must have sensed his master's glee for he ran free and easy as if he had not a care in the world. This was the time of day Gregor enjoyed most where all thoughts were forgotten and life's burdens were put aside. After a strong gallop, he brought Storm to a slow trot before coming to a stop under a large elm. He tethered Storm and the grateful animal bent down to graze on the velvet green grass.

"Good boy," Gregor said as he patted his steed affectionately.

Gregor sat down in the grass under the elm and watched his horse for a few minutes. He looked at the sun and knew he had plenty of time before anyone else would be up. He wondered how Ingrid slept and whether or not she had the same trouble sleeping as he. He worried about their conversation and contemplated what she might think of him now. Insecurity still clouded his mind and he almost dreaded seeing her again for fear of rejection.

It was then he chastised himself for thinking negatively. As he now clearly thought through the events of the previous day, he could not help but believe that Ingrid could not possibly be angry with him. Had she not smiled at him before going to bed? Had she not touched his lips so tenderly to quiet him? Surely, this was not a sign of a woman who was angry. Except for being mildly ill-tempered towards her sister in her letters and he could not blame her for that, Gregor had never seen nor heard a negative word come from her lips or quill.

"Yes, my dear. Forever."

Those words came back to him as clearly as if she was standing right in front of him that very second. He would bet a sack of gold that she was willing to become his wife, but he needed to ask her properly, formally. How and where were the next things to consider. He could not count upon being alone with her again and if it did happen by chance, it would only be for a minute or two. Thinking more about the subject, Gregor found no solution. Sighing loudly, he got up, took Storm's reins and guided him home.

He arrived home to find the household staff up and beginning their morning duties. It would be another hour before breakfast would be prepared, so he decided a nice bath would soothe him. It did relax him almost to the point of putting him to sleep, but he managed to shave, wash his long, wavy black hair and get ready for the day before the hour was finished.

As soon as he saw Ingrid at the breakfast table, he knew all was right with her. Her smile was broad and genuine and her eyes sparkled as they examined his every move.

"I pray you slept well last night," he said as he sat down across from her. Helga, Aleksander, and the two sisters were also present.

"Very well, sir. Thank you for asking," she replied. In fact, surprisingly shehadslept very well. "And you?"

"Nary a wink," he smiled, "but I feel fresh and alive at the moment. Good for me, I suppose," he boasted.

"Ah, the rooster has discovered his feathers," Ingrid replied.

"And the hen has a way with words," he reproached her gently.

Ingrid froze for a second. She did not know how to take his last statement. Was he angry with her? Was he admonishing her? Her eyes gave her away as he saw the fright in them.

"I did not mean anything by it, sir," she said softly.

"Nonsense! You speak wonderfully and I will enjoy sparring with you for a very long time, indeed!"

"Really?"

"Of course, my dear." He winked at her without anyone else seeing. He was now surely in love with her and could not wait to be with her in a more secluded area.

Once breakfast was over, Gregor asked Ingrid, "What would you like to do today? Is there anything you would like to see?"

"I think I should like to see the garden from where those beautiful flowers you gave me came," she answered.

"I believe I would also like to see the garden," Helga said. Yes, she had let them be alone for a few minutes the evening before, but she would not let them be alone in a vast garden for any length of time. One could get lost, intentionally or not.

"Of course," Gregor said, trying not to show his disappointment.

So, with him leading the way, they went outside toward the garden. Because he did not have any pressing meetings or details to attend, Aleksander walked with them.

Ingrid was amazed at the vastness and beauty of the flowers and wished their garden in Kesse was as grand. The array of colors and fragrances was dazzling.

"It is beautiful," she murmured more than once.

Because he was becoming more accustomed to his guests and he sensed he was gaining a daughter-in-law soon, Aleksander attempted to converse with Helga and Ingrid. He was not as proficient in the Kessian language as his son, but he could make himself understood. As time wore on, Aleksander deftly steered Helga to the northern end of the garden, leaving Gregor and Ingrid by themselves. Still within easy eyesight of her daughter, Helga relaxed and listened to Aleksander's explanation of the origin of a particular rose.

"Your father is wonderful," remarked Ingrid. "I will have to thank him for this." She bent forward to sniff a yellow flower.

Gregor cleared his throat as he watched Ingrid take in the aroma of the garden. "About last night," he began.

"Yes?" Ingrid said as she straightened.

"You said you wanted us to sleep and talk about it some more."

"My dearest Gregor," she said while looking him in the eyes, "is there more to say than what was already spoken?"

"I am not sure," he shrugged. "I believe I need to know more about what you are thinking."

"You are evading, my dear Gregor," she teased.

"And so are you," he replied smiling. Oh, how he enjoyed talking to her!

"Indeed."

Gregor glanced over his shoulder and saw his father moving Helga even further away. They were probably more than one hundred feet apart now and out of earshot.

"I believe thereismore I need to say, things that were left unspoken between us." He looked upward to the blue sky as Ingrid waited impatiently for him to continue.

"Pray, do continue Gregor," she said breathlessly. She sensed he was going to propose and could not wait for the words to be spoken.

Gregor looked back at his love and did continue. "I believe I began to love you as I read and re-read your precious letters. It was not until I saw you walking toward me yesterday that I knew for sure. I know some will question what I feel in my heart, but how can one judge what I know is true?"

"And what is the truth, Gregor?" She could barely speak above a whisper at this point.

"The truth..." He was getting lost in her blue eyes once more.

"Yes?"

"The truth is," he said in a soft, clear voice, "since you arrived, I cannot possibly live without you and I must have you by my side for the rest of my life."

His words sang in her heart as she saw a grin stretching across his face. Could all her dreams be possibly coming true? She was almost afraid to speak for fear of breaking the spell, this magical spell Gregor had cast upon her.

"It is I who cannot live withoutyou," she whispered, her eyes beginning to shine with tears..

Gregor reached forward and took her hand. He brought it to his lips and kissed it tenderly. Instead of letting go, he held onto it and squeezed it gently.

Tony155
Tony155
1,224 Followers