Innocent Pawn Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Ah, my father,” he nodded sagely, shifting to sit up on one arm and then regretted even that small movement. “Your late husband.”

“Yes, my husband! My ruthless, conniving husband, who left me without a cent.”

“Don’t speak ill of the dead, Marie,” he said quietly. “Especially not of my father. He quickly realised his mistake in marrying you, yet he was willing to turn a blind eye to your greediness and infidelities, when others would not have. He let you live in the lap of luxury, swaning it like a Queen, as you soiled yourself with the lowest serving boys.”

“The bastard was old and unable to satisfy me in bed. I was young and beautiful, I had needs. You of all people understand that.”

Leonn held his tongue, sliding his feet over the edge of the bed and sitting up tentatively. He didn’t care that the coverlet slipped, displaying his nakedness.

“Dammit Leonn,” she cried. “How could you send the servants to my chamber with orders for me to pack and depart immediately! I love you. I know we could be good together, if only you would give us a chance. That afternoon we spent together is burned in my mind forever!”

“There will be no chance for us, Marie.” He stated firmly, pinning her with his bleary eyes.

Marie’s eyes dropped sullenly, and she flounced to the window. “So you’re kicking me out, all because some convent slut whined to you about not liking what I did to her.” Leonn stilled, keeping his face composed as Marie turned to face him. “She’s a lying little bitch, acting the innocent when all along she wanted it. You can’t believe a word she says!”

“I want you gone from here, Marie, before you inflict any more damage on Isabella.” He barely managed to keep his distaste for her, for himself, from his voice.

“It sounds as though you’re in love with the whore,” she cried, and Leonn merely looked at her. “You can’t be serious?” She snorted, then stilled. Silence reined in the room when he had no response for her.

He saw the desperation in her eyes. “You can’t kick me out, a penniless widow. What will people think,” she cried.

“Residence in a chateau a mere two days travel from Paris, servants at your disposal and a monthly allowance, is hardly what I would call penniless, Marie. If that sounds so terrible, you could always remarry.”

He stood up slowly, mindful of his sore head. He strode to the door and flung it open, motioning with his hand.

“But I want you,” she cried.

“Go, before I think to reduce your allowance.” He said without heat, his thoughts only of Isabella. Knowing now that Marie had played him, and well, changed little. Somewhere after the fifth mug of ale he had realised the gravity of his actions, of what he had done. Only then he had been in no condition to anything about it.

He pushed Marie away as she tried one last attempt to press a kiss on him, her crafty fingers groping his shaft, before slamming the door behind her with a wince.

In the cool light of day, the brutality of his actions washed over him. He had used Bella’s sweetly responsive body as a vessel for his anger and jealously, raping her. He doubled over, acid bitterness erupting from him as he emptied his belly in a wave of remorse and self-disgust. Even after his stomach had emptied itself of its contents, it continued to heave, his depravity a physical thing.

Half blind with tears, he finally acknowledged to himself the glaring truth. Isabella was as sweet and giving as she had first seemed that day in the library. Only he had been too blind to see it, casting her in the same mold as her father.

“Hell, what have I done?”

* * *

She knew the moment he appeared in the doorway of the chamber, feeling the intensity of his gaze upon her. She trembled where she knelt near the warm fire, her legs tucked beneath her, her skin glowing in the firelight. Her fingers curled on her thighs as she fought the instinct to cover her tiny breasts.

“Did I hurt you?” The gentle question was so unexpected that her wide green eyes flew to his amber ones. He moved silently to stand before, his eyes full of remorse. She shook her head slightly, not sure whether to be angry or sorry.

“Is she your wife?” Isabella asked finally, glad that she was able to keep the quiver from her voice.

“No, she is my father’s widow. A thorn in my side, one that has now been removed.”

“Removed?” Bella asked hesitantly, refusing to acknowledge the flutter in her chest at his words.

“She is travelling to one of my other estates to remain there until she remarries.”

“Oh.” She bit her lip. “Do you…and she…” She couldn’t continue, dreading the answer.

He was silent for a long while, as if debating how to answer her. “Once, when I was young and inexperienced, new to the games between men and women. It is something I have been deeply ashamed of ever since. I think my father guessed, but he never spoke of it to me.”

She felt sick at the thought of Leonn and that woman.

“Leonn-“

“Bella-“

“You first,” he invited.

“I thought that you…she,” Bella began, then tried again. “I thought it was what you wanted.”

“Little one, it was never my wish to share you.” His finger reached out to touch her, but she flinched away from him. She saw the flash of pain in his eyes before he quickly masked it, dropping his hand to his side. “She has tried in vain to rekindle what little passion I had for her then over the past decade,” he continued quietly. “It was my thoughtlessness that led to your pain. I should have foreseen that she would try to use you to get to me. My stupidity and jealously only compounded your hurt, and for that I am deeply regretful. I hope that your sweet and generous heart is able to forgive me, and I promise never to give you cause to fear me again.”

She felt his regret, his pain, and knew only she could ease it. She was silent, gazing sightlessly at her clenched fists where they rested on her thighs.

“Will you forgive me?” He asked again, when the silence in the chamber dragged on.

She gazed up at him with determined green eyes. “I don’t want to stay here anymore.”

To be continued…

Authors note: I have tried to follow the suggestions made in feedback, such as longer chapters, more character development, and a stronger heroine. Let me know if I have been successful or not :)

12