Introducing Thaddeus Black Ch. 02

Story Info
Thaddeus boarded the limo once again.
9.2k words
4.4
24.9k
13

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 08/31/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
dsoul
dsoul
1,250 Followers

Thaddeus boarded the limo once again to return him to the city though not to take him to his place of work but rather somewhere else. His actual destination was the city police station, to the county head department which oversaw all felonies, crimes and misdemeanours pouring in from all the surrounding counties. He would have preferred visiting the Sheriff of the rich neighbourhood county whom Constance told him she'd spoken with regarding her son's disappearance but didn't want to alarm anyone by going there. Wouldn't it just shock them to see a black man stepping into their precinct, a black man who's probably got no business walking in their neighbourhood and then be coming over asking questions about a missing rich woman's child. A private dick for that matter. Since venturing into this line of business one of the numerous mantras Thaddeus Black had formulated for himself with apparent realisation was that cops hate private snooping detectives almost as much as they despise criminals. Sometimes it was even hard to know which they hated the most.

He had an old friend who worked the county head desk and knew that if there was any chance he could get a more reliable picture of what's happening in the rich woman's backyard, it would be from him.

The limo dropped him a block away from the precinct building and he got off and walked the rest of the way, not wanting anyone thinking he'd just inherited a million bucks if they spotted the car he was in. He walked along their courtyard, past a number of boys in shinning blue before entering the quaint lobby. He knew his way around the building, having being here a couple of times and done some odd jobs for some off-duty cops, though it always paid to be courteous to the guy manning the lobby counter and making his enquiries from there as to the whereabouts of one Staff Sergeant Oliver.

The duty officer told him to hold on and made a call. A couple of seconds was all it took for the officer to point him in the right direction. He made his way past a body of cops, all of them talking and pushing folks along.

Sergeant Greg Oliver was a seasoned officer in his late forties who'd spent the last two years living the remainder of his cop life behind a desk. He was due to retire in a year's time and planned on spending the next years of his life fishing, being looked after and pampered by his second wife, and never mind about filling away misdemeanour duty report sheets and whatnot. It was through his second wife, Debbie, that Thaddeus and he had gotten acquainted. It was an experience most reassured by the officer and his wife.

He was hovering outside his door waiting for the detective to show. Thaddeus found him and they shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before Greg invited him into his office.

"How's the young missus taking care of you, my friend?" asked Thaddeus after the Sergeant offered him a chair.

"Doing great, though she's still shinning like a million bucks compared to me," he grinned. "By the way, she wanted if I can get you to drop by this weekend for some fun, if you're available."

"You know me, I'm always down for some fun." He smiled before getting down to his real reason for dropping by, explaining his need for total discretion. He presented his friend with one of the photos Constance had given him of her son Jonathan and he told him everything regarding the kid's disappearance since the day before. He as well mentioned the detail about the lady communicating with the county Sheriff; Greg knew where he was heading before he even hammered down on the nail.

"You want to know if there's been any such traffic coming out of that county, is that it?" his friend asked.

"You're always an astute fellow, Greg. I just want to know if things are still kept under wraps. The lady's the wife to one recently dead rich guy called Emmett Loftus."

Greg sucked air through his teeth. "Emmett Loftus, the industrialist fellow, that same guy? Thaddeus, my boy, you've certainly been moving around big circles."

"Hey, don't kid yourself. I barely know who the bastard was."

His friend shook his head at him depreciatingly. "That's what you get for never reading the papers too often. Wow, if word on this gets out, it's going to make the front page headlines. Now I can see how worried you must be. Gimme a minute to check through what I've got. Do me a favour and go wait out in the lobby for me. I'll holler out to the Duty Officer to fetch you once I'm done."

Thaddeus couldn't complain. He left his friend's office and went out and sat on a long bench next to a couple of measly-looking derelicts and washouts. Sleep was staring to knock on his door and he was just about starting to slip into a when he heard his voice being announced over the PA system that he was being sought by his friend. Thaddeus wiped sweat off his brow and got up and went in the direction of his friend's office. Greg was waiting for him outside but again led him into the office.

"I've checked through my index system and so far everything coming from there is quiet," he said. "I don't know how the boys over there at that county are like. But if you want my advice I'll give it to you right here and now. Whatever you've got to do to find this kid, you've better hurry and get to it. This news is too big for it to sit quiet, and sooner or later, word is going to get out. Either from there or from down here. I'm not the only guy in here who reads the county files, and I know guys have got friends everywhere."

"I reckon that's going to be what you'd say. How long do you think I've got?"

His friend shrugged. "Forty-eight, is my guess. Least I can give you is seventy-two, and that's only if you're lucky. This is sensational stuff, and it won't be long before someone blabs. If not over there, then down here. Whatever it chances you've got of finding this lost lad, better hop to it starting now."

"I was afraid you'd say something like that. God knows I hate the case already."

"I'm even surprised you took it on. Though you hated missing persons. What got you to change your mind?"

"The kid's mom gave me a sob story, that's what."

Greg laughed. "I'm surprised you're still a sucker for sob stories."

"I'm not. The wife sure made it look easy."

"She hot-looking?"

"Got legs like a thorough-bred," said Thaddeus. "Anyway, it's the least work I can find till something strong comes along. I'd better be on my way." He shook his friend's hand. "Extend my love to Linda."

His friend smiled back. "As long as you don't forget to drop by in the weekend, I certainly will. Take care of yourself."

"Always will." Thaddeus turned around and left.

------

He stepped out the doors of the station into the glare of the afternoon sun with the expectant thought that he knew where next to head out to. It was only after he'd taken a couple of steps and gotten back on the street pavement that he realised with chagrin that he didn't have a worthy clue at all as to where or what next to do. Such was the predicament of finding a missing person. In a city with a population of twenty million and counting, it was a horrendous task trying to spot a single individual from amongst them. Especially when the reason for the known person's disappearance evaded him. One other factor he had been mote to present to the rich woman was what if her son actually intended to stay gone? This wasn't the first disappearance case he'd been saddled with, and the last one had left him with such an impressionable scare the thought of picking up another had seemed like anathema to him.

Until now. Yes, until now.

Where next to turn to, Thad? You've got a forty-eight hours' deadline, and the clock's already ticking on you. What do you do next, homeboy?

He reached into his jacket pocket and took out his little notebook. It was laden with addresses, names, lists, dotted messages and phone numbers. Some he remembered and some he couldn't recall ever penning them down. He went and stood beside a bus stop platform and flipped through the pages till he found the address he sorted. Less than a minute later, realising he was at the right bus stop terminal, a bus came careening towards the platform and he got into it along with other commuters and rode along.

Just as he'd begun his search at the city police station, his next stop was at the main headquarters of the Hermit House, also known as the Missing Persons Station. Why anyone chose to refer to it as the Hermit House, he would never know. But it did served a viable purpose. There were numerous missing persons' stations and outhouses scattered across the city and their information was all channelled to the Hermit House. Much better doing the remainder of his checks there than hitting the stations one at a time, especially when he was at a loss as to what part of the city the kids must have disappeared to. First he would make his enquiries here and perhaps pray that he got a hint or something. His next bid would be to call the rich lady up and ask if she's got any relatives or anyone the kid might be familiar with living in the city. No kid takes off from home without a destination in mind. Not unless they want to run off and go live across the border in Mexico.

The Hermit House building was an austere affair that resembled more of disused YMCA building than anything else. It was in terrible need of repaint, and why the city officials allowed it to stick out like a sore thumb amidst all the redeveloping plans it had initiated since the start of the decade was a mystery to him. A good thing about it was it served as a temporary residency for much of the city's lost and hopeless delinquents, much of whom poured through its open doors Mondays through to Sundays. Thaddeus walked through its doors, past a line of rejects standing in line to be catered to and went in search of Sister Agnes.

Sister Agnes was an old woman in her mid-sixties who'd been caring for the lost and downtrodden since Christ gave up carpentry. Never married and never going to retire rich, she'd lived much of her life for and to the Hermit House, serving with as much distinction as a Staff Sergeant training a bunch of recruits to love war. Thaddeus had known her since he was a pup, and she was always welcoming to his visits, especially when it concerned missing persons.

She took a walk with him around the back garden of the compound while he related to her the reason for his stopping by, having shown her a snapshot of the missing kid. Agnes had a sharp memory for remembering faces, whether they are strays of the world or just mere passers-by. She shook her head at the photograph and adjusted her reading glasses on her wrinkled face.

"No, can't say I've seen such a handsome face as his around here," she said to Thaddeus in her typical craggy voice that sounded a lot like Desmond Tutu having a cold. "You know we get few kids comin' up in here. Most o' 'em just tend to drift away once they've gotten their loaf o' bread."

"Was what I was thinking too, Aunt Agnes." For Thaddeus, she would always remain an Aunt to him. "Perhaps you could check through the outhouse records and see if maybe someone like him stopped by any of those places. It's just a haunch I have to go by."

She looked at her watch. "We're not going to get the full figures until six. Another thing is depending if the kid is the type that would stay. But I'll have a look and let you know if anything turns up."

"Thanks, Aunt." He planted a kiss on her cheek. "You really know how to make a kid happy."

"Like I haven't heard that before. You tell Tibbins I'm still thinking about you, you hear?"

"I hear you, Aunt. Got to go. You take care of yourself too, don't go working yourself to death like you always do."

"Yeah, like I haven't heard that one before either." She waved at him as he left her standing in the middle of her garden.

Thaddeus decided to walk half a block to the nearest subway station. He was at first unaware of being followed, and it wasn't until a group of young college kids bumped into him and he half turned to apologise that he spotted the lone man break to a stop across the street from him. He reduced his steps but still carried on like nothing was wrong. Every now and then he gave himself an excuse to admire a building block while at the same time turning to see how far off the lone man was from him. He didn't have time to turn and get a good look at him as he went down the stairs leading to the subway train.

He stood by the platform looking about to spot the lone man but couldn't recognise him amongst the bystanders that were there. His train arrived and he stepped into it. It wasn't as the train was pulling away that he once again saw him, but the train had moved too fast for him to make out his face.

----------

There wasn't anyone following him when he arrived at his work building. He'd taken time to scan his movements on the street and didn't make out anyone acting suspicious. For all he knew it was another hot, sunny afternoon. People going about their business, cars honking their horns driving here and there, music pouring off the open doorways of papa-and-mama shops and 7-Elevens, nearly all the music coming out of them tend to be more ethnic than American. Brothers standing on street corners giving him the bleary eyes, drinking 40s, playing craps, shooting the breeze, waiting for the next hustle to come their way. Hubbies chasing after wives and wives in turn yelling their heads off at kids standing by the curb playing under water showers coming off drain pipes.

Thaddeus listened to the sound his shoes made as he walked the curb. He was sweating under his clothes and he was grateful he could sight his building from where he stood.

He went inside and almost immediately the air felt different. Up the stairs he went to his private eye door and knocked on it before opening it. Sarah was standing beside a filling cabinet putting away thick files when she turned and saw him enter.

"Good afternoon," he said to her, and she replied him back. He took his hat off his head and ran his palm over his sweaty plate. "You familiarised yourself with those files yet?"

"It's going to take me a while to get everything serialized. But give me a week, and I'll have it all connoted for you."

"No problem, take your time. Don't have much work pouring in now, but with the latest I've got on hand, we just might make something out of it." He went past her into his inner office. She trailed behind him and waited for him to take off his jacket and drape it on the jacket stand beside his desk before saying anything.

"Someone called your office line an hour ago," she pointed at the phone on his desk. "It was a woman. She said her name was Hilda Carmichael. She left her number and said she'd like you to give her a call as soon as you get in."

"Did she give any reason why I should?"

She shook her head. "Just said you should give her a call. Said that it's very urgent. I left it there on your desk."

Thad picked up the paper with the woman's phone number and snorted. "If she's not a client, and I don't have any going by that name, she'll just have to wait."

He unbuttoned his shirt and settled down in his chair, letting the cold air from the air-conditioner warm his wet chest and at the same thinking what next steps he ought to take with his present case. He didn't realise how tired he was as a minute later he slipped into a doze. He was awaken by the sound of his cell phone going off in his pocket. He groaned as he reached into his pocket and pulled it out. The thought of sleep went away for the moment when he saw who the caller was as he brought the phone to his ear.

"Hello, Aunt Agnes," he said.

"Hello, Thad," she spoke into his ear. "I went through the records as you asked me to, and I wasn't expecting to find anything this early for you, but something came up and I think it's got a little something to do with your missing child. Are you ready?"

Thad sat forward and reached for a pen and writing pad, all attentive. "Go ahead, Aunt."

"A bulletin coming from one of our branches over in District L said early this morning a kid walked in with a bruised arm. I asked them to send me the kid's information, whatever it was they got from him, and I'm looking at it right now. Said his name was Johnny Elwood. The snapshot they took of him matches a lot like the one you left with me."

Thad was writing furiously. "That sounds great, Aunt. Is the kid still there at the branch?"

"No, they said he sneaked out of the place a couple of hours ago. I'm sorry."

"Not your fault, Aunt. If we'd known earlier enough, we might have had a chance. Was there any other information they left you with?"

"Yes, the kids wrote down an address. Says here: Hilda Marcus Carmichael. 2001 Century Lane."

Thad furrowed his brow and picked up the note his secretary had left him earlier. It was the same name. He thanked his Aunt and told her to keep in touch in case the kid ever returned then hung up. He dialled the number on the note paper and waited for someone to pick. He hadn't noticed his secretary standing by his doorway. She came forward as he waited for the line to pick.

"Is there anything the matter?" she inquired. He looked up and smiled at her. "Oh no, Sarah. Thanks for answering that call that came earlier."

"I was wondering if I can be of service in any other way." She had an expectant look in her eyes. "Anything at all," she stressed on the word 'anything'.

The phone rang but no one answered it. "There's always something a good secretary can do. How about you get down here and find a means to calm my spirit."

Sarah fell to her knees before him and unzipped his pants. Thaddeus redialled the number once again and listened to it ring while his secretary whipped out his black cock, which was semi-erect, and began milking the head of his prick with her lips. She made a mewling sound in her throat as she lapped her tongue up and down his shaft which had suddenly gotten erect in her mouth.

"I can't tell you how much I've missed your private dick since you left," she murmured.

Thaddeus was about replying her when the line in his ear came awake with the sound of a woman's voice speaking to him.

"Yes, hello?"

"Uhh ... hi there. Excuse me, am I speaking with a Ms. Hilda Carmichael?"

"Yes, speaking?"

"Good day to you, madam. We've never met before, but you called my office a while ago. My name's Thaddeus Black, and I'm—"

"Oh yes, Mr. Black. Yes, I did call your office earlier on. How nice of you to return my call."

"Right, well, I'm sorry I wasn't around at the time to take your call—" Thaddeus winced as he felt Sarah's teeth scraped his skin. She mouthed an apology and resumed sucking him. He was gradually finding it hard to listen to the excited words of the woman talking to him on the phone.

"The reason I called you earlier was about this case of my missing nephew that you're handling. However I wish we'd gotten in touch sooner, it sure would have prevented a lot that's happened already."

Thad squeezed his face, whether at concentrating on the woman's words on from the sublime sensation he was getting from surrendering to his secretary's lustful lips, he really couldn't tell.

"Excuse me, ma'am, did you say nephew? Did I hear you correctly?"

"Of course you heard me correctly," the woman called Hilda said to him with reproach in her voice as if taken offence at his question. "Mr. Black, Constance, the woman whose missing child you're searching for, happens to be my sister."

"Okay. I'm sorry, Ms. Carmichael, that was an information I'm only now becoming aware of."

"I wouldn't be surprised she never thought of mentioning it to you. Constance and I haven't been in touch with each other for a bit a while."

He gazed down at his secretary. She too gazed back at her, her head bopping down on his crotch with her mouth engulfed with his black rod. Thad was hardly aware of himself groaning from her sucking exercise and it wasn't until Hilda on the phone called out to him that he realised he still stupidly held the phone close to his ear.

dsoul
dsoul
1,250 Followers