Is Enough Really Enough? Ch. 02

Story Info
Is happiness an illusion?
9k words
4.25
134.6k
73

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/23/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Blue88
Blue88
1,149 Followers

(In order for this to make any sense, I would suggest that you read "Is Enough Really Enough" before starting this. I would like to thank the many readers who have emailed me with their comments. I would also like to express my appreciation to RPSuch and The Wanderer for their kind words and suggestions re. Is Enough Really Enough, especially since I'm an admirer of their work. I've incorporated some of their suggestions in this conclusion and I have also included a bit of dialogue that was written by RPSuch.)

********************

It didn't take Arch long. He had over two months of accumulated vacation time and this would be a perfect time to take off. He knew that his staff could hold down the fort while he was gone and it only took him about 15 minutes with Corporate to get them to give him the time off. They really couldn't complain; he had been putting in 12 hour days and many, many weekends overseeing the expansion of the medical center. They owed him the time and he was going to take it. It didn't take more than a few minutes to book a round trip, open end return, ticket on AA to Paris. From there he would rent a car and tour Europe for a few weeks, something that he always had in mind. Of course that dream had included Denise. The reality now was that he would be taking this trip alone.

He was honest enough with himself to know why this sudden decision. The news that Denise was engaged finally awakened him to the reality that he had to move on, to get out of the limbo in which he was entrenched. He had to get Denise out of his system. The problem was that he didn't know how to do that. She had attempted to contact him countless times during that first year, but he had rebuffed all of her efforts. He had refused telephone calls from her. He had discarded letters unread. He felt he had been hurt enough and vowed, enough was enough.

He didn't want to hear her excuses or explanations. He had had it. Easier said than done though. He was shocked at how the news of her engagement hurt. "Damn," he thought, "I still really love her, but I'm not going to put myself through that anguish again. Never again." He reached for the intercom and asked Gail, his girl Friday, to find Alec and Norman. He wanted to see them ASAP.

Fifteen minutes later, his two executive assistants were seated before him listening to him tell them that they were now in charge and would be for the next month or two. Alec Baldwin was Finance and Norman Burrows was Administration and Marketing

They looked at him in astonishment for a moment. "Jeez, Arch," complained Alec. "Thanks for the heads up. All of this with no warning? You couldn't have let us ease into this?" Norm, looking concerned, nodded in agreement.

Arch looked at both of them steadily for a few moments. "Are you two telling me that you can't handle the job? What the fuck have you been doing for the past few years? I have been riding shotgun and letting the two of you actually run this place for the last year. Now you're telling me you need a warning to continue to do what you've been doing? Is that what you're telling me? You guys need a nanny?" Arch was relentless and biting.

"No, no, Arch," interjected Norm. It isn't that at all. You may think that you've been letting us run the show, but it's with the knowledge that you were always here that gave us that confidence. We can do the job, it's just that this is such a surprise. God knows you need a break, so don't worry. Just let us bitch a little." Alec smiled wryly and nodded his agreement.

Arch returned the smile. "That's better. I'm confident that you guys won't run the ship aground. So do your bitching later and somewhere else. I'm actually leaving as soon you the both of you get your asses out of the door. I don't want to hear about any emergencies. If any come up, just handle it; I won't be available.

Arch had already spoken to Gail and had appointed her Asst. Administrator, working under both Norman and Alec. She would prove to be invaluable to them. He took a long look around, picked up his briefcase and walked out of his office and out of the building.

********************

Denise Meader was sitting quietly in an easy chair in her apartment, trying to get into the novel she had begun more than once. She suddenly put the book down and moved to the window. The blaze of autumn colors brought a smile to her face. The trees were afire with bright colors - reds, oranges and yellows. Denise sadly also knew that they were a harbinger of winter, when the leaves would be gone and the trees bare. The ring of the phone startled her and she looked down at the instrument, debating whether to even answer it. Wearily she picked up the handset and said, "Hello."

"Dee? Holy shit, have you seen the paper today? Denise, are you listening to me? Get the damn paper and open it to the Society section; you're gonna pee in your pants." Denise's sister sounded almost giddy with laughter.

"Deb, will you calm down. What are you yammering about?"

"Dee, just look at the photo in the Society section of the damn paper. I'll hold on - just take a look."

Denise put the phone down and moved to the table where she had placed the paper without opening it. Flipping through to the Society section she saw the picture and gasped, her mind going blank for a moment. Rushing back to the phone, she exclaimed, "Deb, what are they doing. I don't even know this guy. He was introduced to me as Trevor Messenger and we stood and chatted for a few moments. That was it, period. What the hell is going on?"

Debra was still chuckling. "They screwed up, Dee. Trevor is the twin brother of Nigel Messenger, whose engagement to Sue Callas, was announced. The photographer saw him and I guess he thought that Trevor was Nigel and he assumed you were Sue. Shit, this is a riot. You're going to be famous for awhile, Dee," Debra laughed.

"I don't see what's so funny, Deb. This is going to be a royal pain in the ass and is going to cause me grief at work. I have to call the paper and get them to print a retraction and I'm going to do that right now." Debra could tell that her sister was angry and upset.

"No need, Dee. I just got off the phone with them. They apologized and promised to print a correction in tomorrow's edition, so don't get too steamed.

********************

Arch parked his car in his underground parking slot and took the elevator to his floor. He was unlocking his door when he saw Cal Murray pokng his head out of the door of his unit next door. "Arch, you ok? It's early for you."

Cal was a retired widower. He had worked for the city government for over 40 years and had, unfortunately, lost his wife to cancer approximately four years previously. Arch and he had become fast friends and had shared many a bottle of cold beer while bullshitting the night away. Arch had quite a fond spot for Cal; he found him to be intelligent and empathetic, rare qualities these days.

"Cal, came on in and I'll give you the news as I pack. A lot has happened today and I've made some important decisions. You'll be interested in this. Grab a couple of beers from the fridge and bring them into the bedroom."

Cal did as he was asked and was a bit surprised to see the that Arch had pulled down two large suitcases from the closet. They were now on the bed and Arch was beginning to pack clothing quickly and efficiently.

"Okay, buddy. You want to tell me what's going on? Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Cal asked quietly as he handed Arch a beer.

Arch grabbed the bottle and took a quick sip. "Cal, I'm finally getting up off my ass and doing something about my life. I'm taking time off and flying to Paris this evening. There I'm going to rent a car and tour the continent for a few weeks. I've been wanting to do that with Denise for years and now's the time, buddy, even if it's by myself."

Cal looked at him steadily. "Sounds like a plan, Arch. Of course this has nothing to do with that picture in the paper today of Denise and her fiancé, right?"

It was as if Arch had received a blow to the solar plexus. He blanched and sat down heavily on the bed. He looked up at Cal and different emotions rushed through him: anger, embarrassment, grief. "Shit, it's that obvious?" He stood suddenly and confronted his friend.

"Whatever the reason, Cal, I'm going. I need a change regardless of anything. I need to get away, see new things, experience different lands and different cultures - anything to help me get my life back. I just don't want to be around here now - I just want to get away."

Cal smiled and walked over to Arch and patted him on the shoulder. He pushed him down and Arch found himself seated again on the bed. Cal then walked over to the chair a few feet away and seated himself, turned to Arch and put his hand up, indicating silence.

"Arch, I'm your friend and we have been close buddies for awhile, ever since you moved into this place over three years ago. If we weren't then I wouldn't be saying what I'm going to say to you. I think you're making a big mistake. I think you're being a coward, that you're just running away with your tail between your legs. I also think that you know very well what you should be doing, but the only thing really stopping you is your foolish pride. Your feelings have been hurt and like a little boy you're picking up your marbles and running away." Cal paused a moment as he saw anger flash over Arch's features.

"No, no, don't interrupt me now, Arch. It's so damn obvious that you are still crazy about your ex-wife and the only thing preventing you from trying to reconcile is your damn pride. Well, it may very well be too late now. It looks like she has found someone with whom to share her life, but instead of finding out if this is what she really wants, you just run away. I thought that you had more backbone then that." Cal finished and gazed at his friend.

Arch had almost let his anger overwhelm him, but controlled himself in time. He smiled ruefully at Cal. "Why don't you say what you really mean, Cal. Why beat around the bush," he chucked. "But it's really not my pride, pal, although some of that may be true.

"Cal, you just don't know what the last years with Denise had been like. This really isn't about her momentary lapse of judgement, it really isn't about her romp in that bed with some other guy, although that certainly is part of it. It just an accumulation of years of having to be patient, understanding, compassionate, etc. etc. etc. My well had run dry, Cal. Do you understand what I'm saying? I had nothing left to give. I realized that I had been living in a loveless marriage for longer than I wanted to. I had nothing left, Cal. I was being squeezed dry. Call me a prick, call me a louse, maybe you'd be right, but I had wanted out even before I caught her in bed with someone else.

"You're right, of course. I still do love here and I guess I always will, but not at the cost of my own sanity." Arch laughed quietly. "I love her but I can't live with her. Now that's quite a conundrum, one that will be with me for a long time, I guess. I'm glad that she's found someone, Cal. I really am. Maybe he can make her happy, I certainly couldn't. I'm not just running away because my feelings are hurt, buddy. I'm running away because I just want to - it's as simple as that. I need to get away, I need a vacation, a change of scenery. Maybe I can come back with a clearer head, or just maybe I won't come back at all. Who knows."

Cal just shook his head and rose to his feet. "Okay, Arch. I had my say, you do what you feel you have to - it's your life. I still think that you're making a mistake, but I do wish you well and I hope that you can get your head straightened out. C'mon, I'll help you pack and then I'll drive you to the airport, buddy."

********************

That evening saw Arch Meader on a 747 winging over the Atlantic on the first step of his journey. He had elected to go first class despite the cost and he was comfortable in a large aisle seat. He had nodded to his seat mate, noticing that she was a well-dressed woman who appeared to be in her mid 30s. He settled himself in his seat and was soon engrossed in the paperback novel he had purchased in the terminal.

A few hours into the flight he wearied of reading and closed the book, marking his page. A soft voice murmured beside him. "I understand that's an excellent book. It was recommended to me, but I've never gotten around to reading it. It looks like you're enjoying it."

Arch was a bit startled, but he gathered himself together and smiled at his companion. This time his gaze was more careful and he was impressed. She was trim with dark hair and eyes. She wore a light colored lipstick and he could detect very little other makeup, although he was aware of a faint but exotic fragrance. She had on a tailored pair of dark slacks and a loose, scoop necked sweater which she filled out quite nicely.

"It really is," replied Arch. "It was recommended to me awhile ago and I when I saw it at the book kiosk in the terminal I figured that this would be the perfect time for it." Arch smiled and extended his hand. "By the way, my name is Arch Meader."

She smiled back and said as she took his hand, "It's nice to meet you, Arch. My name is Claudette Jourdan. Is this trip business or pleasure?"

Arch's answer was a bit noncommital and they spent the next few hours chatting and learning a bit about each other, neither getting too personal. It appeared that Claudette was a widow. She had lost her husband in a fatal auto accident approximately two years ago and then had gone on to explain that they had been high school sweethearts and had graduated college together in 1985. Arch was shocked to realize that Claudette must actually be around 43 or 44 years old - she appeared much younger. He also discovered that she was an attorney, just beginning to practice again, was born in France and had emigrated with her parents to the United States as a young teenager.

Arch found Claudette to be an intelligent as well as a very attractive seat companion and the time flew by quickly. She had a sharp and penetrating wit and was obviously well educated and well read. He could tell that she was curious about his vague answers as to the purpose of this trip, but did not pursue that topic further. They were both a bit shocked to hear on the loudspeaker a notice that they were approaching their destination and to fasten seatbelts.

"I'll be darned," Arch exclaimed. "I can't believe that the flight is almost over. Thank you, Claudette. I've really enjoyed our conversation and I wonder if you could recommend a hotel in Paris. As I had mentioned, I've never been here before."

Iris looked at him for a moment before replying. "I will be staying at the Les Jardins du Marais, Arch. I can recommend it highly. It is in the center of Paris and is convenient to almost everything. The restaurant at the hotel is quite good also."

"Thanks, Claudette. That sounds fine; perhaps we could share a cab to the hotel and if I'm not too presumptuous, may I ask that you be my guest for dinner this evening. I really would like to show my appreciation for your company during the flight."

Claudette smiled slightly and nodded. "I would like that, Arch. Why not give my room a call and we can set a time."

Arch sat back, quite pleased with himself. Being seated next to such an attractive woman was certainly fortuitous and he thought that he had handled himself well. Well enough to have gotten a date for dinner tonight, he smiled. Claudette intrigued him. He certainly wanted to learn more about this widow.

Claudette, on the other hand, had conflicting thoughts. She was quite aware that she had just met this man and had already accepted a dinner invitation from him. Not only that, she had recommended her hotel to him, an action that she now wondered about. Claudette had really not gotten into the dating scene since the demise of her husband. The few dates that she had accepted were from family friends, men with whom she felt "safe." Arch did intrigue her. He was certainly good looking and quite articulate. It was also rather apparent that he had something going on in his life that he was reluctant to share. Perhaps it was that which intrigued her.

Claudette mentally shrugged her shoulders and put her concerns aside. After all, it was just dinner, she certainly wasn't planning on anything even remotely romantic happening.

********************

Dr. Bernard Green walked wearily through his front door, exhausted after a day too long spent in listening to other people's problems, real or imagined. He again wondered why he choose this specialty and why he continued with it. If he was pressed for an answer, he would have realized that people and their aberrant behavior were a continued source of fascination for him.

All that aside, he was tired after an "emergency" call from a patient he had been seeing for years, despite attempt after attempt to convince her that there was little more he could do for her. This the reason for his late arrival at home. Well, at least he had the presence of mind to call his wife. He had also been wondering, after discovering later that day, why Arch had so suddenly decided to take a vacation. It was so unlike him to act so precipitately. He didn't get Arch's message until well into the afternoon.

"Hello, Dr. Shrink. Did you cure any loonies today?" laughed Debra as she rose from the living room chair and kissed him. "I held dinner for you, honey."

"Deb, please. You know how I hate when you call them that. These are decent people with real problems. Bernie protested.

"I know, dear. I'm sorry. Sometimes it's just easier to laugh them off, but I do know that your heart aches for so many of them." Debra held him close to her for a moment. "C'mon, big guy. Let's have some dinner and then I have a surprise for you. It'll give you a laugh."

They had a pleasant meal together, easily slipping into the their relatively new relationship of husband and wife. Bernie again just gazed at Debra, knowing how lucky he was to find such a beautiful and loving woman. After dinner he helped Debra with the dishes and they then took another glass of wine and relaxed in the living room. Debra then handed Bernie the Society section of the newspaper.

"Honey, take a look at this. I'm sure that your jaw will drop," Deb said with a grin as she handed him the paper.

Bernie's jaw did indeed drop as he saw the photograph and read the caption. He turned to his wife, "Deb, when the hell did this happen? I had no idea that Denise was even seeing anyone, let alone starting a relationship. Is this for real?"

Debra laughed at his question. "Not real, honey. The paper screwed up. Dee doesn't even know this guy, it was all just a mix-up. I called them earlier in the day, they will print a correction tomorrow."

Bernie became quiet and thoughtful for a moment. Debra noticed his the change in her husband and knew him well enough now to realize that he had something serious on his mind. "Okay, Bernie, what's up. Why the frown?"

Bernie looked up and hesitated for a moment before speaking. "Honey, Arch suddenly, almost without warning, left for an extended vacation today. He left a message for me but I didn't get it until later in the day. It really had me wondering, and now I think I know the reason for his decision."

Bernie paused, looking meaningfully at Deb. She looked at him wide-eyed, realizing the implication of what he had just said. "You actually think that Arch saw this and then ran? You really think that this picture precipitated this sudden "vacation?"

Bernie pondered the question for a moment and nodded his head. "Yeah, that's exactly what I believe. Look, Deb. Let's not kid ourselves. We both know that Arch is still deeply in love with Denise, but has refused, for over 3 years now, any communication with her. She can't get him to talk to her and he returns all of her letters unopened. I can just imagine how this information must have hit him."

Blue88
Blue88
1,149 Followers