It's Only Fair Ch. 07

Story Info
A man drives the road of life with purpose.
15.2k words
4.46
92.9k
63

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 05/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vanadorn
Vanadorn
407 Followers

This is the final chapter of this story and it should bring the story of Rick, Elle, and Amber to the end. I didn't rush it and let it tell its tale at its own speed. It is not for everyone, and that's ok – because I wrote it and I liked it. I'll admit the 1st 2 chapters are a bit clunky and don't flow as nice as I'd like, but that's ok – I felt the rust blow off my skills as I worked the tale along.

The resolution of this tale is based on the real world that we live in, not the fantasy world of "man, if I had unlimited resources, no morals, and no chance of getting in trouble – I can kick ass and take names."

My tale does not fit comfortably into any sub-genre, and that's not a problem.

Thanks to everyone for reading and please vote and comment. 

Like a great writer once said: Write what you know. So that's what this is, me writing what I know.

Again, no...actually this time, for this last chapter, there are no restrictions. ;). However, this is still as close to reality as I can get it and still tell the story.

Enjoy! -V


I awoke the next day hyper alert and strangely well rested. Being it was Saturday, I knew that I had a number of things to take care of before progressing to the next part of my day. I got Amber up and we took care of the house and laundry before climbing into the car and hitting the local supermarket. I filled the cart with everything we would possibly need and then left. I got a car wash, topped of the tank, and ended up at my bank as our final loaction.

I had to work with my representative until he understood that I wanted to separate my and Elle's name from the accounts. I had to open two new ones in my name alone, in which I transferred all the savings and about half the checking. I cashed out the other CD and had him deposit it into the original accounts and then stripped my name from them. I had printouts and balances of each of them, proof of my actions at this time.

By this time it was already after noon and Amber was getting cranky from all the errands. As I was driving back home Lenny called me. "Rick! I got your message. What happened?"

"Lenny, I finally got to the truth of the matter. Elle was having her bondage activities with another man."

"I am sorry, Rick. I really wished it was otherwise."

"Me too, Lenny. There are so many layers of betrayal in this that I'm having a rough time coping with it."

"What are your plans for today? I'd recommend taking it easy and doing something low key to give yourself a mental dump."

I nodded, "That's a great idea. Soon. I just left the bank."

"Rick," his voice became stern, "you aren't cleaning out the accounts, are you? If you do, whatever you take will have to be returned at some point and accounted for in the final dissolution decree."

"No, Lenny. I opened two new accounts in my name, took about half the checking, and gave Elle the other CD. I kept the three grand in savings, because truthfully, I'm going to have to pay the Law Guardian with something."

"It sounds like you have a good foundation, but I feel that you are acting on emotion right now and may be jumping the gun."

"I am documenting everything. You know, Lenny. Throughout it all, I still love her. Isn't that a hoot? I'm not looking to screw her over and I won't, but I can't...I just can't anymore. The cruelty, the ambivalence, the deceptions, the violence, and now the betrayal; it's been a terrible burden on me and I can't keep myself or Amber in this mess. I'll be dead at 40 if I don't break away."

"I'm sorry, Rick. Really," He sounded sad. "I've been doing this for over 30 years, Rick. You know, I didn't want to be a lawyer?"

"Oh, yeah?"

"Scouts honor. I wanted to be a sports announcer. I met Phil Rizzuto years ago, Tony Kubek as well."

"Wow."

"But it didn't happen, and I accept that. What I am though is a very good family lawyer, and let me tell you, as your lawyer, a friend, and someone who respects what you've gone through so far – I am so sorry to hear this. I really hoped that you and Elle would beat the odds and thumb your nose at the current establishment."

"It's killing me inside, Lenny. Between the doctor's terrible news last night and the realization that she had been unfaithful to me during this, it's just too much. I can't do it. There has been too much disrespect and hurt and neglect for too long for this to be ignored."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to draw up whatever paperwork you have to and let's file it as soon as possible on Monday."

"No," he said slowly. "I mean, how do you want to proceed? You once indicated that you wanted only the best for Amber and to not cause Elle any undue stress. Are you looking for an amicable divorce or something toxic? Before you answer, I'll proceed however you want, but my advice is to avoid the negative trappings of a cruel separation and try to make it as friendly as possible."

I didn't have to think very long. "Let's go for the friendly divorce. All I care about and want is for Amber to stay with me. She can have whatever she wants; I'll live under a bridge in a box as long as I have custody of my daughter."

"Understood. Just keep that in mind, because this will tax and drain you. Team Amber."

"Team Amber, indeed."

"I'll get started on this. Eventually though, we'll want all her therapy and medical records to be factored into this and I know that whoever she has an attorney will block this. When she gets out, we're going to have you both visit a Forensic Psychologist and use their findings as the cornerstone of the custody agreement."

"Hey, you're the lawyer, I'm just a number pusher." I paused. "Can't we just use her time at 5 North as proof that she shouldn't have custody? I mean, female friendly state or not, that has to count."

"It won't be enough. They'll release her more likely than not, assign a psychologist for her to see and maybe keep her on medication. But once she's out, she is not required to continue to see a psychologist OR take her medication – and her discharge will be held up by her lawyer as 'proof' of her being cured. No, we'll do this and it'll for the issue into the open and have it presented on the floor for the judge during custody."

I was feeling pretty happy at this point, even though I knew this was going to cost me more money. Looking at my daughter in the back seat though, I knew it was money well spent.

We rung off from each other and I finished the drive back home. My gaze flicked to Stan's house as I pulled in the driveway, and I stared at it intently as I parked the car. I noticed his shades move and it brought a sneer to my face. You dishonorable prick, just stay over there.

Once home and we ate, I gave Elle's mom a call. "Hey, Jan."

"Rick!" she sounded worried. "Did that horrible lady come back from CPS?"

"Yeah she did, but it's ok." I sighed. "Jan, I spoke with Dr. Harding at 5 North yesterday and he filled me on Elle's therapy at this time."

"Yes, she's really trying."

"I know, Jan. I know she is. But...some of the things he told me, some of the things that Elle gave him permission to tell me...well, Jan, they are pretty terrible and I don't know how I'm supposed to get over them."

"Oh, Rick. No. Don't tell me."

"Jan, I can't do it. I really can't."

"Rick, please. She needs you."

"I know, Jan. But I can't do it. I called my lawyer and told him I wanted to file for a divorce."

I heard Jan sob on the phone, her voice blubbering as she tried to deal with this. "But what if she gets better, Rick? What if she gets better and you threw her away?"

"I know, Jan. I do. We have a child together, so we'll always be connected. And it's not like I don't still care about her on some level. I don't want to ruin her or her life, but I have to do what's right for Amber and me."

I continued, "And that's the other piece of it. I feel like a failure. Like somehow, I could have done something else, tried something else, who knows. But when I look in the mirror, I feel like a shit. Period."

"Can't you give her another chance? You've been together for so long."

"There is no other chance, Jan. Another chance just isn't an option...and you know what? For the rest of my life, I'll look back at this moment and play Devil's Advocate. What if I gave her another chance? Would things suddenly be better? Would they? There is no way of knowing, Jan. All I can do is do what's right, at this time."

"You won't forget me or cut me out of Amber's life, will you?"

"Not a chance of that, Jan," I smiled. "You are always welcome here and I'll never take that away."

"Thanks, Rick. I'll let Elle know."

"I...don't know if you should. She's in therapy, and I don't know if it'll hurt her. I heard that she has a lawyer?"

"Yeah, some guy the hospital helped her get in touch with. Er...Ken Williams."

"Ok, I would suggest asking him. Lenny will be filing on Monday."

"I will. And take care, Rick."

"You too, Jan."

I hung up, idly looking at my phone. On a lark, I scrolled down to Spencer's number and hit dial. It was as the phone was ringing that it occurred to me I did NOT hit *67 to block my call. Just when I realized that mistake and wanted to hang up, I heard it connect and a voice say, "Hello? Who the hell is this?"

Well, Rick?

I put the phone to my ear and replied in a deep and menacing voice, "My name is Rick Masters. Is this Spencer?"


"Yeah? What you want to know?"

"Spencer. From Elmont. I understand you've been engaging in some online kink with a woman named Lacycuffs?"

"Who the fuck is this? How the fuck do you know that shit?"

"Spencer, I'm only going to ask you one time." The timbre of my voice was so low, I could feel my chest rattle as I spoke, "Did you ever meet up with Lacycuffs?"

"No. Why? She ain't been answering me anymore. Is she ok? Is she dead?"

"No, Spencer; she's not dead." I chuckled a bit to give him a scare. "But I'm sure she wishes she was. You see, Spencer, Lacycuffs...is my GODDAMNED WIFE!!!" I roared into the phone, forgetting that Amber was in the next room.

"Holy...er, shit." Suddenly, Spencer didn't sound as old or as sure of himself as he did at the start of our conversation. "I never did nothing with her except for online, I swear."

I poked my head in the next room, seeing Amber looking for me, I faked a smile and blew my tongue at her; distracting her from my outburst and getting a giggle in return. I slid back into the office and continued to listen to Spencer prattling on nervously trying to set my mind at ease.

"Spencer. Spence. Relax. Relax." I said soothingly, with an exaggerated falseness in my voice. "It's alright. Listen, your days of contacting Lacycuffs...is over? Understand?"

"Yeah. I got it. You don't have to worry about me. I'll never do nothing no more, I swear it!"

"That's good Spencer. Because, you don't want to make me mad and have to drive out to Elmont to find you." I growled, "Do you?"

"N-n-no, Sir. Not at all."

"Good. Then you have a nice day, Spence," and then I hung up feeling elated, my heart pounding in my chest.

This was an accidental catharsis for me as I sat there, good-old Spencer from Elmont's words bouncing around my mind. Being he was the most possible of the three to actually come out and meet Elle and it never happened beyond online role-playing, that verified what I had heard from Doctor Harding.

I looked around our house for the remainder of the day, poking my nose into long closed boxes or bags stuffed under the bed. I wasn't sure what I was looking for or if I would find anything; but I was hoping to find something, something concrete I could put my hands on. As the hours passed by, interspersed with time spent playing with Amber and getting dinner on the table, I came to the realization that like Elle's current problems, any answers I were looking for were also in her head.

On Sunday I took Amber to see my mother, filling her in on my decision to divorce Elle. A number of comments followed, but were not limited to: "throw the bitch out" "she should fucking die" and "I hope her pussy rots and falls off" .

When she finally wound down and her tirade came to an end, she asked me, "So, Rick, now you gotta pay for the Law Guardian and most likely this Forensic Psychologist thing?"

"Yeah. I understand that I should get a portion of that back from Elle at the end of all things, but being that she's currently in the hospital and not working, it's gonna fall to me to pay."

"I heard that bitch's mom shelled out the retainer for her fucking lawyer."

I nodded, "Jan told me. Elle is supposed to pay her back, there's a bit over five grand in her name in the accounts."

My mother reached behind her and picked up an envelope from the counter, handing it to me. "Well, I don't want anyone to say that I don't support my son who's a good fucking person, while that twat you married gets a hand out and a leg up from everyone who comes in contact with her."

I opened the envelope, shocked. "Ma! Ten grand?" I pulled out the check. "Where did you get this? I can't take this."

She reached across the table and grabbed my free hand, squeezing it as hard as she could. "You listen and you listen to me good. That's from me to you, ok? Don't fucking try to return it and don't you fucking leave it here. You father, god rest his soul, he was a good man and worked hard his whole life. But he didn't have much and most of what he had went to pay off this house and what few bills we had. I do fine, don't worry about me. There's a small pile of savings left over, and fuck me if you don't need some of it now."

"But Ma," my throat felt tight with emotion, "don't you need this?"

She shook her head. "No I don't. I'd rather you spend it and use it while I'm alive than when I'm dead. Capice?"

Nodding once, I put the check back in the envelope and stuffed it in my pocket. "Yeah, Ma. I understand." I leaned forward giving her a hug, our arms quivering we were holding each other so tight.

When I sat back down she had fresh tears running down her face that she wiped away with the back of her arm. "Fucking pansy," she threw my way, gathering herself under control and smiling.

It felt really good to have someone on my side.

Monday morning had Amber and me on our way, the pounding rain making the trip interminably long as we crept our way through the sodden rush hour traffic. When I arrived at daycare and brought Amber into her room, Kerri had a pensive look on her face. "Hey, Mr. Rick," she said morosely.

"Hey Kerri. What's wrong?"

"Mr. Rick, do you think you can go to lunch with me today?"

"Sure. Not a problem." I chuckled, "With all the issues I've been having lately, it's only fair I listen to your problems. 12:15 as usual?"

She nodded. "Thanks, Mr. Rick."

On my way out I stopped at Shelly and asked her, "What's wrong with Kerri? She seems miserable."

Shelly looked at me with one eyebrow cocked a look of disbelief on her face. "Really? Mr. Masters, Kerri really likes you; heck most of the girls here do."

"Shelly..."

"Long and short of it, she didn't call you this weekend on the hopes that you would have called her. And you didn't. That's it."

"Really?" I replied with some ire. "That's it? Some high school crap?"

"Mr. Masters, you consider Kerri a friend, yes?"

"Yes."

"You confide in her and she helps you through your issues, yes?"

"Sure."

"And Kerri tells me that you don't have many other people you can call and talk to like you do with her?"

"True."

Shelly smiled, "Then just give her a call. She wants to help you out but doesn't want to be a pain in the ass or crowd you. She's walking a fine line between being your friend, your daughter's teacher, a confidant, and her own feelings for you and doesn't want to step too far over and piss you off."

I held my hands up, "Ok, I got it, I got it. Thanks Shelly."

"No problem, Mr. Masters! So...we'll see you later today a bit after 12?"

I smiled. "I should be here. Bye!"

My Monday morning at work was busy. We had a server issue and I was unable to connect to the time clocks until after 10, which pushed back payroll by an hour. The rest of my morning was spent playing catch up so it was with some relief and anticipation I walked out and went to pick up Kerri for lunch.

We talked. I informed her that I had found out that Elle was screwing around with someone else while I was at work, along with some online role-playing with at least three regular guys she was dominating. Kerri was heartbroken for me and apologized the rest of the time we ate for her insecurities. I reassured her that it was understandable, but to please realize that my days are filled with turmoil and that just because I don't call her, it doesn't mean I don't respect her or thank her for her time and effort. When I dropped her off at the daycare she leaned in and gave me what had turned into our goodbye ritual of a brief hug. Her plush form never failed to bring a blush to my face as she pressed it against me before leaving.

This time though she turned her head at the last moment before getting out and gave me a swift, yet gentle kiss on my right cheek, dangerously close to my mouth. "Goodbye, Mr. Rick!" she said with a saucy smile while I just stared at her dumbfounded. She slid out of the Equinox and walked into the building, her friends and workmates laughing and waving goodbye to me.

So it was confused and perhaps secretly pleased with myself that I came back to work and headed for my office. As I passed Andy's door I could hear him arguing with someone inside and then a voice bark out, "There he is now!"

Storming out of Andy's office came Victor Sykes, Vice President of Operations and Andy's counterpart. Victor was in his mid 40's and had close cropped dark hair, and a pair of thick glasses that made his eyes appear goggle-like. Coupled with his almost permanent 5-o'clock shadow and his penchant for screaming at everyone on the production floor, most people found him to be a little intimidating.

"Where's the prior week numbers?! I have a conference call with Barry this afternoon and once again I don't have them?"

I kept my face neutral as I answered him. "We had a server issue today which pushed everything back."

"Then you should have used the backup server to get the numbers and finished them in time!"

I gritted my teeth. "I couldn't get on to the backup server either, since IT was working on the network. Which includes the back-up server."

"Fucking excuses." He whirled towards Andy, continuing his ranting. "Always a damned excuse with your people Carly."

"Hey, Victor," Andy yelled back, "lay off and let us get back to work. You'll get your numbers well before 4 in time for Barry's phone call."

"Fucking waste of my time I have to come up here. And on top of it all, he saunters in from disappearing for an hour? Disappeared half of Friday. Fucking hell if you think I won't let Barry know about this."

Again, normally everyone lets Victor rant and rave for a while and then ignore him, chuckling at his actions behind his back. But today, after everything I had been dealing with and the shitty weekend I had, I wasn't going to put up with his crap.

"You know what, Andy?" I said, addressing my boss. "I don't need this sort of abuse. I am feeling unappreciated and truthfully all the rain today has made me feel sick." I whirled on Victor. "You're a schmuck, Sykes." His eyes flared at this, and I knew he was about to lambast me for referring to him by his last name but I pressed on, not giving him a chance. "I've been here for about 5 years and not counting holidays I've taken off 3 days. Three. And they were all for the birth of my damned kid."

"I don't work for you, I don't report to you, I don't answer to you. You don't like the speed I'm working? Too damned bad, I'm working as fast as the system allows me to. As for your numbers? When you relied on your own team to put them together you didn't get them until WEDNESDAY afternoon on average. So don't give me any shit."

Vanadorn
Vanadorn
407 Followers