It's The Way You Look At Me Ch. 09

Story Info
Owen gets his big break before they travel.
18.5k words
4.8
44.6k
61

Part 9 of the 15 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 02/09/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a work of fiction. Names, character's, businesses, places, events and incidents are either products of the authors imagination or used in a factitious manor. Any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental.

Some of this is written in Italian and French. Translations are included. I used Google translate so if they don't translate out perfectly, it's not my fault. Blame Google.

*****

Jamie and I sat in the airport early Sunday morning waiting on the plane. I was so relaxed right now. Jamie was back in my life and I couldn't be happier. She was leaned up against me resting her back against my chest as I held her. The silence was broken as my phone started ringing. I pulled it from my pocket and saw it was Phil, my agent, calling me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Owen," he cheered. "What's up man?"

"Not much," I sighed.

"I have some good news for you buddy."

"What's that?" I asked.

"New York can't get a deal worked out with their QB," he started. "He is still holding out so they are exploring their other options at the moment."

"How is that good news for me?" I asked, knowing what he was going to say next.

"How soon can you get on a plane and head to New York?" he asked. "I got an interview for you with them. I'm already heading to the airport as we speak."

"Well," I paused.

"What do you mean well?" he asked.

"I was about to head out of town for a while," I said looking at Jamie. She had a curious look on her face as I looked at her.

"Cancel it," he said quickly. "Get on a plane to New York."

"I... ah."

"Owen," he called. "You might have a job man. Get on a plane to New York and now."

"How certain are you about this?" I asked.

"They need a quarterback and you are available. That's a fairly good shot."

I thought for a second. Jamie still looked at me as I thought.

"Who is it?" she mouthed.

"Come on Owen," Phil croaked.

"Hold on just a second," I sighed.

"Who is it?" she asked.

I held my hand up to tell her just wait a minute. My mind was racing right now. My dream was to play in the pros. My life was with Jamie though. She was leaving town and I didn't want to let her leave without me. Jamie was more important to me than anything in the world.

"It's nobody," I said to Jamie. "Hold on just a second."

"Hey Phil," I said. "I can't talk right at the moment. Can I call you back in a while?"

"Are you kidding me right now Owen?" he snapped. "I got you an interview with a fucking team and you can't talk right now?"

"Phil, I've got more important things going on right now. I'll call you back in a few hours."

"What the fuck...?" I clicked end and silenced my phone.

"Who was that?" Jamie asked concerned now.

"That was Phil, my agent."

"You have an agent?" she questioned.

"Yeah, I got an agent when I went into the draft. It's normal."

"What did he want?"

"Nothing important."

"Owen," she sighed. "Don't lie to me."

"He wants me to fly to New York and do an interview. They can't come to terms with their starter so they are exploring other options."

"Oh," she said. "Are you going?"

"No," I sighed. "Football is over for me. I'm going with you to London and wherever else you go."

"Are you sure that's what you want?" she asked. "Wasn't it your dream to play in the pros?"

"It was," I sighed. "But now it's not what I want anymore. I have what I want. I'm looking right at it."

She smiled sweetly at me as I said these words to her. I smiled back at her sitting there looking so perfect to me. Her face had a soft smile on it as she took my hands into hers.

"We are flying to New York anyway Owen. It's the first layover before we get on another plane to fly to London. It won't hurt for you to see what they have to offer. I don't want you to regret not seeing what they have to say first."

I sighed. "I want to be with you Jamie."

"And you have me now," she smiled. "I'm not going anywhere but to London. Let's see what they have to say."

I sighed again. "And if they want me then what? I'll be stuck here again and you will be gone. I'm tired of doing this. I want us to be together and our relationship to grow. Its good right now, I know that. But it can be so much better if we are together."

"I'll quit then," she offered. "We can move to New York and be together there."

"No," I said lightly. "That's crazy. I don't even know if they want me or not. It's just an interview."

"Why not see what they have to say?" she questioned. "If they sign you then we can figure it out from there. I say we go and see what it's all about and go from there."

I sighed again still torn on what I should do.

"Come on Owen," Jamie said. "It's been your dream to make it all the way. It's so close right now. Let's go and see and figure it out from there."

"You're a pain in the ass you know that?" I chuckled.

"I know," she giggled.

"Fuck," I sighed.

I picked my phone back up and saw Phil had called me twice already in the short amount of time Jamie and I had been talking. I hit the send button and let it ring.

"You better tell me you are getting on a plane to New York or else," Phil barked.

"Funny thing is I am getting on a plane to New York but I was going to continue on to London after that."

"What the hell is in London?" he asked.

"Something very important to me. But I can make a detour and see what they have to say."

"I'll get everything set up," Phil cheered. "Just get there and call me when you land."

"I'll be there in three hours. I'm about to get on a plane, literally, like right now."

"You move fast," he joked. "I'll see you in a few hours then."

I hung the phone up and looked at Jamie sitting there. She smiled that big smile of hers and shrugged her shoulders.

*

I sat there in the meeting room and listened to Phil talk to the executives. He was rambling on and on about how college players often get overlooked and how most of the top college athletes that get drafted high don't amount to much. He started listing names off the top of his head as I sat there and rubbed my eyes. It had been a long day already and Phil was making it that much longer.

Jamie and I landed at JFK and were taken from there into New Jersey where the team headquarters are. It took forever to get through New York. Now we had been here for over an hour talking about anything and everything. I started out talking about my plans for the future and about my college career. Now Phil was rambling on about this and that. I just sat their patiently and let him talk.

"I hear what you saying Phil," the GM said.

"So getting a player further down in the draft or in free agency often pans out more than making a high draft choice," Phil said driving his point home.

"I've been around long enough to know that," he offered. "We didn't draft a QB this year because we hoped we could come to terms already with the one we have. Right now, we just want to have some options, that's why we called Owen in."

"I've got a lot of guys I'm trying to find jobs for," Phil offered. "I truly think Owen is at the top of the list. If it wasn't for the offseason moves before the draft he would have been drafted."

"I can agree with that," the GM smiled.

"So, what are we looking at numbers wise and what is the potential for him here?" Phil questioned.

"Based on his college career and his intangibles that he has he should have a pretty good shot at making the team. I can't say for certain but he has potential. He's got a great arm and a quick trigger when he makes his choice. His pocket presence is very developed for such a young player."

"The only drawback is his inexperience but we know that. The other thing we would like to see him improve on is his footwork and release. He needs to drive the ball to the receivers like a Peyton Manning or a Tom Brady would. That can be fixed with a good quarterback coach but it's not something that we are too concerned with right at the moment."

I smiled inwardly as he talked about the positives. Then I started questioning my mechanics and my throw. I thought I was fine but then again I can't be a good judge of my own skill. I was the best player out there in my mind. It did annoy me a little that they were talking about me like I wasn't even in the room.

"Right, right," Phil smiled. "So what are we looking at for numbers? I mean, how close are you to getting a deal worked out with..."

"The negotiations are not public Phil," he sighed. "You should know that by now. I understand you are trying to get the best deal for your client. We are doing the same thing for the organization."

I glanced over at Phil as he shifted around in his seat. He had a blank look on his face as he settled down and looked over at the men across the table.

"This is what I want to do right now," the GM said. "I want to give Owen a ten thousand dollar signing bonus to sign. We will give him six thousand for each preseason game he plays in. That's twelve for two games and if he makes the first cut he will get another twelve. If he makes the final cut we can go from there. Most likely it's league minimum if he makes the roster or ends up on the practice squad."

"So he's getting ten to start and could possible make thirty four for the preseason," Phil confirmed.

"That's what all that adds up to," the GM confirmed.

Phil gave a soft smile as he looked over at me. "That's not bad Owen."

"It's more than what I have now," I offered.

"Understand that you are getting $24,000 to basically tryout for the team during the preseason. If you make the 53 man roster we will sit down again and talk more numbers. What you do with your chance is entirely up to you. Play well and we will compensate you for that. Flop and its, thanks for trying and better luck next time."

"I understand that," I smiled.

"I'll draw something up then and have it ready in an hour or so. You have to get a physical tomorrow and pass an evaluation before we make all the details final."

Tomorrow I asked myself? I wanted to be on a plane for London today.

"What happens after I sign?" I asked. "Am I required to stay here and be around the facility or can I go about my business?"

He chuckled a little. "That's an unusual question. I've never had that in all my years. Most players want to be at the team facility all the time to get their face out there."

"Owen," Phil hissed. "Excuse us for a second."

"Dammit Owen," Phil whispered. "Make it sound like you want to be here. They just made you an offer. Don't give them doubt."

"I get that Phil," I said. "But that girl you put up in the hotel room before we came here is more important to me than anything in the world. That includes football. I fucked up once, I'm not fucking it up again."

"Fine," Phil hissed.

"I'm sorry about that," he said turning back to the guys across the table.

"No problem," he smiled.

"Owen has another obligation in the coming weeks. He is just concerned that he won't be able to fulfill that obligation. He wants the job but he wants make sure it's ok for him to travel."

"Oh?" the GM questioned as he looked at me curiously.

"I made a promise to somebody so I have to make good on that," I offered.

"What was that if you don't mind me asking?"

"My girlfriend took a job that has her going to Europe for a few more months. I promised I would go with her since I wasn't picked in the draft. I don't want to let her down. I messed things up with her before so I don't want to mess it up again."

"Let me put your mind at ease," he said. "Tomorrow you will get a physical and an evaluation. If everything checks out then we will give you an orientation about the organization. After that you will be given an off season workout schedule and what we expect from you. OTAs will start the first week in June. You aren't required to be there but being in your position it would be very beneficial for you to attend."

"A mandatory minicamp will be somewhere at the end of June. You have no choice but to be there or forfeit your contract. After that we will give a date for training camp. Once the mini camp is over we like most of our guys to stick around and be close to home."

"So, I would have about a month and a half to travel?" I asked.

"Two months if you skip the OTAs and just come to minicamp," he replied.

"No, I wouldn't miss the OTAs," I said. "I just want to spend some time with her. It's been a long road for us. Four years at college put a lot of strain on us."

"College will do that to you," he sighed. "But if this deal pans out for you, you won't have to worry about that anymore. You will be able to take care of her and she won't have to work anymore."

"That would be a big relief," I smiled.

"Having said that," he started. "I would hope you give this organization you full commitment once we get things rolling in the summer. I don't want you to be distracted by your personal life. This isn't college anymore. This is a business and players come and go all the time. Thousands of guys just like you are wanting what you have right now."

"Yes sir," I said firmly. "I understand that fully. I just wanted to spend some time with her and get things back on track. We split up for a little while when she took the job so I want to make sure things are solid again between us. Football is one half of my life and she is the other. When I return here I will be fully committed to making the most of my opportunity here. I guarantee you that."

"I like the sound of that," he smiled. "Let's get something on paper and go from there."

"Thank you sir," I smiled.

We all stood now and shook hands. We parted from the room and headed down the hallway.

"Do you want to see the place while they get something drawn up?" the other executive asked.

"Can I make a phone call first?"

"Go right ahead. I'll be in my office. Come get me when you are ready."

"Yes sir," I said.

My hands were shaking with excitement as I pulled my phone from my pocket and dialed Jamie.

"Jamie," I cheered. "They are signing me."

"Oh my god Owen. Seriously?"

"Yeah. They are drawing up something right now. There's only one problem."

"Oh no," she sighed.

"I have to get evaluated tomorrow. I can't leave until after that."

"I have to be back in the office by nine tomorrow," she sighed. "I can't stay here tonight."

"I know," I said.

"How much longer are you going to be there? Should I leave for the airport now?"

"They are drawing something up now baby. Phil has to look it over and make sure it's what I want. I'll sign then I'll be on my way.

"I have to leave by five. It's a twelve hour flight."

"I know," I sighed. "Another hour and I should be back."

"You got the job though?" she quickly changed the subject. "I'm so happy for you right now."

"I wouldn't get to excited," I said. "I'm not making shit."

"Still," she said, being positive. "You've got your foot in the door. That's something."

"I guess. Listen baby, I have to go. I have things I have to do right now. I'll see you in a little while."

"Ok," she cheered. "Love you Owen."

"I love you too Jamie."

I followed the guy around the place checking everything out. We spent about forty five minutes touring before we went back into the office and I signed. Phil shook my hand and bid me good luck before he hit the road. I took a team provided ride back to the hotel to see Jamie. I had a copy of my contract as I waited for her to open the door. She took it and looked it over before she jumped into my arms and hugged me.

"You made it," she smiled. "I'm so happy for you. Aren't you glad I made you go?"

"Yeah," I smiled back.

"Are you still able to travel?" she asked.

"Once I get cleared I'm free until June. I have to be back here for OTAs and camps."

"I'll almost be done by then," she said. "They give me the summer off before I head out again."

"Well," I smiled. "If I do make the team I will make the league minimum, $350,000. You might be able to quit then."

"That would be nice," she said. "We would be set then."

"Let's hope I make it then."

"In the meantime," she said. "I have a job to do. I have to get going."

"Yeah," I sighed. "The driver is waiting to take you to the airport."

"I guess I have to get going then."

"Come on," I said taking her hand.

We took the elevator down to the lobby. I walked her slowly out to the car waiting to take her back to JFK. The driver stood by the door and opened it was we approached. He stood there waiting for Jamie to get in as we stopped and looked at each other.

"Could you give us a minute?" I asked. "I can close the door once she gets inside."

"Oh, yeah, sure thing," he said. "Most guys expect me to do everything."

"I ain't most guys," I laughed lightly.

"Sure thing," he said moving to the driver's side now.

"See you in a few days?" Jamie asked.

"Shouldn't be longer than that. If everything gets cleared tomorrow I will be on a plane first thing Tuesday morning."

"Alright Owen," she smiled. "I'll see you then."

I kissed her softly before it grew into a lovers kiss. One that said I'm going to miss you but I know you will be there once I get there.

"Love you," she smiled.

"Love you too," I said quickly.

She giggled softly as she turned to get in the car. I kissed her once more before I shut the door. I stepped back and watched the car quickly pull away. It almost felt the same way as a couple of months ago when she drove off. Life was pulling us in different directions again but we were together fighting through it once more. Hopefully by the end of the summer we would have a better idea of where we would be. If I made the roster she could quit her job and stay here with me. If I didn't make the cut I would travel with her.

I called my dad once I got back into my room and told him the news. He was thrilled telling me that he knew something would come up. He asked me about every detail. I had to lie about some of it. I told him I was going to be here for a couple of days getting everything finalized then I was heading back to school to finish up. I didn't want him to know I was traveling with Jamie.

I passed my physical and evaluation the next day. I got my off season workout requirements and my date for the first OTA. After that I was free to go.

*

There was a steady drizzle falling as I relaxed on the bed in my boxers. I had the bedroom doors that led to the porch wide open letting the soft breeze filter into the room. The buzz of the city hummed below as I flipped the TV on and watched whatever was on. I couldn't understand a word of it anyway. It was all in Italian, I was just passing the time until Jamie got home from work.

We had left London about a month ago and moved to Milan. I really liked London but the job said she had to go so we left. She had been very busy since we got here. I still didn't understand all the details of what she did exactly but she enjoyed doing it and was pretty good at it from what I understood. The company must have thought so too since they had already increased her monthly salary for doing such a good job.

We had just about two more weeks of time left together before I had to return to New York for the start of preseason workouts. It wasn't clear when Jamie would be joining me back home. Before we got here they had said she was needed in Paris once this assignment was completed. The latest email from the boss said that the Paris thing might be on hold until the fall.

She wasn't worried about where she was going next. She just worked hard on her current assignment and didn't worry about what was next. She knew by the end of June she would be back home and have the summer off before she headed back out if she chose to. All that was important to her was that we were spending time together with each other. We spent as much time as we could together and we were so happy to be with each other right now.