Jack And Dianne

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Amanda nodded her head yes and he continued, "I know you don't have the trading clout they did but I think if we hedge some of your purchases and do some trading on the side we can make and sell feed cheaper. Also if we bought grain and fuel on the futures market and"

Amanda held her hand up in a stopping motion. She said, "Hold on Jack. I don't know much about what you're saying. My degree is in management. I run the office for Charlie and the store. That's about the sum total of my knowledge. I barely got through economics and finance bothered me quite a bit. Why don't I get you together with Jeff and let you and him discuss this. If he thinks it's a good idea we'll get Jim and the rest of the family involved."

Jack looked at her and grinned then said, "Ok. I understand. Just let me know when and where. I really think we can make some money here and we might even be able to help the farmers too."

Later that afternoon Jack's cell phone rang. He didn't recognize the number and answered it hesitantly. After he identified himself he heard, "Jack, this is Jeff Fielding. Amanda says you have some idea on commodity futures trading you think would help the store's profits. She said you wanted to talk to me about it. That right?"

"Well, yeah, I guess I do. You know I used to trade for ADM and I think we could do that on a smaller scale."

"We're having a BBQ tonight over at the resort. Why don't ya come by, eat with us and we'll talk a while. Can you do that?"

"Yes, I can be there. What time?"

"We're starting to gather now. Why don't you just come over whenever you get ready? We're going to eat about six. Know how to get here?"

Jack got directions to the resort and said he would be there as soon as he could make it. After he hung up he got his bathing supplies, went to the stream and took a quick bath, dressed in clean shorts and shirt then drove off in a cloud of dust. He was strangely excited about the way things had turned out so far. He hoped he could talk the Fielding's into trying his idea.

Jack found the party and parked his truck. He wasn't a shy man but he found himself walking hesitantly toward the noisy partiers. They were laughing and talking loudly. Children were running and playing. Jack felt the hurt of his loss as he stood watching the happy couples interact. A tall, fit looking middle aged man saw Jack standing just outside the circle of partiers. He walked toward Jack with a smile on his face and his hand outstretched. "You must be Jack," he said. "I'm Jeff. Come on, let's get you a drink and we'll find someplace to sit while we wait for the ladies to get the rest of the meal out."

Jeff took Jack toward a small group of men standing alongside the river watching the children play. They all had a drink in their hand and were talking quietly with each other. When they arrived at the group Jack was introduced to LTC Jim Fielding, US Army, Retired, his son Colonel Paul Fielding, also US Army, retired and LTC Charlie Fielding US Army Reserve. After the introductions all the men instructed Jack to call them by their first names and they resumed their conversation.

Soon the ladies announced the meal was ready. Smiling the men walked over to the serving line. Jim guided Jack into line ahead of him. Everyone filled their plates with the wonderful smelling food then Jim guided the group of men to a table set up near where they had been standing. No one else joined them. After they had all taken seats he turned to Jack and said, "Well, Jack Jeff says you have an idea how we can increase our profits at the mill. He was going to listen to your proposal then get back with us but I decided we would just all listen so we could get it from the horse's mouth as it were. Now why don't ya take your time and tell us about this idea while we have our supper?"

Jack explained he had been a trader and his idea was to use his skills to trade for the mill and grain elevator's account. The men talked for almost two hours as Jack answered their questions and explained his idea. Since he had been a trader he had all the licenses he needed and most of the contacts. Finally all the questions were answered and the men's conversation moved on to other topics. They learned more about Jack and talked to him about some of the men he worked with or met in the store. Finally Jack decided it was time to return to his "home". Jim walked him back to his truck and before Jack drove off he said, "Jack I'm not sure your idea is right for us but we will talk about it some more. We're pretty small potatoes compared to ADM and if I understand commodity trading a fellow could lose his shirt right easy. We'll let ya know what we decide next week."

Friday when Jack went into the store Amanda had him work with her in the office. Just before lunch Jim and Jeff came into the building and invited Jack and Amanda to lunch with them. During lunch Jim said, "Jack we still aren't sure your idea is worth the risk but since we have the elevator and store we decided to give you six months to do the trading and show us what you can do. Call it a demonstration project if you want. You can use the office beside Amanda's for your work. How much extra time do you need?"

"Thanks Mr. Fielding. I can't really say how much time I will need right now. A lot of the time I will need depends on factors that change daily. I will need a phone, high speed computer, two monitors and file cabinet for sure. Of course I will need money to work with when I set up the accounts." Jack looked embarrassed and continued, "I don't have much of my own to use but I would appreciate it if I could also trade some for my own account. I only have $3000.00 I can afford to risk but I would like to use it too if you don't mind. As for time, I am willing to do the trading on my own time."

"We can't let you do that. We need to have you on the clock so we know how much to pay you son."

"Well, I'm not worried about the pay. If it works like I think it will I can make some good money just on my little investment." Jack laughed and continued, "Well not good money compared to what I made before I lost everything but enough to help living expenses."

"Well how do commodity traders get paid in the real world son?"

"It depends on where they work mostly sir. Most of them are either paid a commission or percentage of the funds they manage or of the profit they generate."

Jim thought a moment then said, "Tell ya what. You can use our office and equipment and keep all the profit you make on your money. We will put $100,000 in your trading account and will pay you 10% of any profit you make for us or of anything you save the mill over what we expected to pay for the grain we grind. Would that be ok with you?"

Jack smiled and said, "Yes Sir. That will be fine. Normally 10% of profits would be way too much to pay a trader but for this short period until we see what I can do for you I will let you pay me that. To be fair sir I think we will have to adjust that figure down though to be fair to you."

Jack set up the office and began getting ready to trade over the weekend. Monday morning early he was at his desk and making phone calls reconnecting with his old business associates. He established the account for the store and began trading on Thursday of that week. His accounts were small enough he couldn't get economies of scale like the large houses did but he was working and trying.

By now it was September and there were some cool nights. Jack knew he had to find a place to live soon as it was already getting cool enough his tent was uncomfortable some nights. His wages for Friday and Saturday kept him in food and gasoline barely but so far he didn't earn enough to rent a place. Of course the extra hours he got when he worked during harvest helped a lot.

In mid October Jack decided to take his money from the trading account and build a small cabin on the concrete pad where his tent was. Jack didn't tell anyone what he was doing but he did tell Amanda he was not going to spend all day in the office watching the markets any longer. He had managed to turn his $3000 into $7300 in the nearly two months he had traded. He had made another $6000.00 from the Fieldings for his share of their trading profits.

The day he got his check back from the account Jack went to the Home Depot and purchased the materials he needed to build his cabin. It was only going to be the size of the concrete pad—16X20 feet—but it would still cost almost all he had saved. Jack purchased the lumber, insulation, wiring and fixtures. He was going to have one door and one window because of the cost. Luckily there was an old rusty wood stove at the campsite he thought he could use for heating and cooking during the winter. He would pipe cold water into the house but didn't plan on a toilet or hot water heater to save money. The land had no septic system and he could not afford to put one in. He would continue to use the old fashioned outhouse for a rest room. He would boil water on the stove to heat for washing dishes and bathing. He had purchased a small children's wading pool to use as a bath tub.

Jack went to Gregg's farm and borrowed tools to build his cabin. When Gregg found out what Jack was doing he tried to talk him out of it but Jack was adamant he wanted to live on his own land instead of move away and try to find another job and rent a home. Finally Gregg gave up.

Late the day after he borrowed the tools Jack had the walls up and was beginning to frame in the rafters. He heard Gregg's truck coming down the trail and watched as he pulled up beside the building. There was a pile of almost new roofing metal in the bed of the truck.

Jack climbed down his ladder and walked over to greet Gregg. After the greeting Gregg said, "Jack I've had this here metal stacked in the barn for several years now. I got it when we tore down the old garage here on your place so it's rightfully yours. I brought it over so you could use it on your little cabin. If you're careful ya can put the screws back in the same holes and it will work good as new. Most of it's not even beginning to rust so ya can save a lot of money with it."

Jack tried to refuse half heartedly but Gregg wouldn't let him. Finally he smiled, thanked Gregg and they unloaded the metal. Jack worked on his cabin from dawn to dark for two weeks except for the days he worked at the Farm Store. Finally it was all built and he was ready to move in. He even spent a little on paint to make the inside look more appealing. He bought a used area rug for the middle of the room around his bed and was ready to take up housekeeping. He had water from the well piped into his kitchen area. He would have to heat water for washing and bathing on the stove but at least he had a warm place to live and a sink to wash in. He piped the grey water outside and into a small settling barrel buried just outside the cabin. It had a short lateral line ran out for the water to safely soak into the ground.

Jack had even had enough wood and metal left to put a small porch roof over his entry door. His yard chair sat under the roof. The day he finished Jack stood back from his place with his hands on his hips. He was grinning and felt as proud and happy with his little shack as he had the house he and Stephanie used to own.

The day before Thanksgiving Jack was in the office working on the company accounts. Jim and Jeff came in, said hello and sat in front of his desk. They visited for a while about the upcoming holiday and Jack was beginning to wonder what they had in mind. Usually when one of them came into the office they talked for a couple of minutes and went on about their business.

Finally Jim leaned back in his chair and said, "Jack I know we said you would have six months to show us what you could do for us but we've decided to cut the deal short. It's nothing you've done or not done. We can see you have saved the mill a little money on the grain we purchase and have made us a little selling it. We want you to keep on doing some of that but we have decided it isn't worth the risk trading commodities themselves. What we'd like for you to do is just buy and sell our needs and let the commodities go. We'll raise your pay to $10.00 an hour for all your work with us and guarantee you at least thirty hours a week if you're willing to do that. We want you to wind down your operation in commodities trading by the end of the year and concentrate on buying and selling only what we need to operate. You will be in charge of all our grain and fuel purchases and sales though. We like the idea of buying and selling for our own use on the futures market. We just don't want to do any speculative trading."

Jack was shocked at first and a little hurt. He thought about what Jim had said and sat up straighter. He accessed his computer and looked at the accounting software showing profits and losses for the short time he had been trading. As much as he hated to admit it Jim was right. Trading with the small amount he had to use they were only making about 9% on the money used in commodities. He was saving the company almost 10% on the grain they bought to turn into feed and about the same on the fuel he was buying on the futures market for future delivery.

"Well Jim, I understand your thinking. Commodity trading IS risky. You can make a killing or lose your ass. I haven't made you a killing even though 10% is a pretty good return on your investment. Of course if I had made a bad call you could have lost a lot more than that. I don't mind just trading for the business if I can continue trading through your account personally." Jack grinned and continued, "And I have to say the raise and extra hours are really appreciated. Thanks for that Jim."

Jim and Jeff smiled and stood to leave. They both gave Jack their hands to shake. Just before they walked out the door Jeff turned and said, "Jack I almost forgot. Abby wants you to come over for Thanksgiving dinner with us tomorrow. She said you can show up any time after ten in the morning."

Jack was shocked at the invitation. He had expected to spend the day alone in his little cabin. He said, "Thanks Jeff but I couldn't intrude on your family's day like that. I'll be fine at home."

"Nonsense Jack. We all want you there. You're a member of our family in a way. We will have several of the people we work with there and a few neighbors as well. We always invite people who don't have family coming home or who don't go out of town for the holiday. We will expect you at ten tomorrow."

Jack fell in love with his new job. His salary gave him enough money to purchase everything he needed. He was even working enough to qualify for benefits through the business so he had health, dental and retirement coverage now. Sure he didn't have the high powered life he did before and his income was way, way less but for the first time since he left home he was happy with his life. He missed companionship and the love he had with Steph but he was not ready yet to look for another wife or girlfriend.

A week before Christmas Gregg came to visit. He was sitting inside the cabin and he and Jack were enjoying a beer when he said, "Jack I know ya don't have any family left 'round here and neither do Bettie and me. We would be real pleased if ya would come take Christmas lunch with us this year."

Jack once more thought about refusing as he had with Jeff's Thanksgiving invitation. He looked at Greggs face and saw the pain, almost fear of rejection and didn't have the heart to do so. Truly, he had been dreading spending Christmas alone. He smiled and said, "It would be a favor to me if I could come Gregg. That's very kind of you and Bettie. What does she need me to bring and what time should I come?"

"She didn't say for ya to bring anything son. You just bring yourself and an appetite. Ya kin come any time after breakfast."

Jack had no intention of going to Christmas dinner empty handed. He thought and thought about what he could bring. Finally in desperation he purchased four bottles of pretty good wine to go with the meal he had been told they would have. He also purchased two gift cards at Wal-Mart for the couple.

During the visit after the meal Christmas day Jack asked Gregg if he could borrow his machinery the next spring to put in a small garden near his home. Gregg only used Jack's farm for pasture and hay but there was room in the small area protected by the bluff for a nice garden. Jack could purchase a pump and irrigate it from the stream. He would have to fence the cattle out but that would not take much effort at all.

The rest of the winter went well for all. Jack fit into the group of employees at the Farm Store and was happier than he could remember ever being. He had more friends than at any time in his life and was saving money from his salary. He hadn't even spent any of the rent he had received for his farm yet. Well, in a way he spent it. He had begun trading commodities and stocks from the store as he worked on the trades he made for the store.

One day while he was at work he got a phone call from Bettie. She was crying and almost impossible to understand. Finally Jack understood Gregg had been admitted to the hospital with a stroke. He got permission to leave to be with Bettie at the hospital. While he was there he agreed to take care of the farm while she stayed with Gregg.

For the next three months while Gregg recovered Jack worked his 30 hour weeks at the Farm Store and did what he could for Gregg and Bettie. When they tried to pay him he refused. He knew they barely made enough from the small farm and their Social Security to live on and he had no intention of taking some of the little they had. Finally he agreed to take a beef as payment.

That spring instead of putting in a garden at his place Jack enlarged the one at Gregg and Bettie's place. Since he was helping her with her garden and farm he decided it would make more sense to have them both together. One day when he got to the farm to do the evening chores Jack saw a young woman working in the garden. He ignored her and went about his business. When he finished the evening chores and went into the house to see Gregg and Bettie the woman was cooking supper.

Bettie came into the kitchen and smiled. She said, "Jack this is my niece Janice. She's my sister's youngest girl and has come to stay with us and help around the place. You've been doing way too much for us and it just had to stop. Janice didn't have a job and agreed to come stay with me to help around the house and with Gregg. Janice, this is Jack. He lives just east of us and we been renting his place. He works at the Farm Store in Steelville."

Janice smiled and held her hand out for Jack to shake. As he took her hand she said, "Nice to meet you finally Jack. Uncle Gregg and Aunt Bettie have told me a lot about you. If half of what they say about you is true you're a heck of a good neighbor."

Jack was thunderstruck. He muttered something he was never able to remember saying. There was not one individual thing about Janice that was exceptional but everything combined made her a very pretty person. She was well built, wholesome looking and when she smiled it lit up the whole room. When you looked at her you were drawn to her but as far as beauty goes Dianne and even Stephanie were much more beautiful. Jack knew without a doubt though that if all three were in the same room most of the men would gather around Janice after they had heard all three of them talk and seen them smile.

That summer was hard. It was a typical hot, dry summer and the grass didn't do well. Jack worked the farm for Gregg as he promised. He doctored the cattle, sorted and marketed them. He made hay and made repairs as needed and as Gregg could afford. Much to his surprise Janice was right beside him helping. She was much stronger than she looked and was willing to do anything that needed done. She knew as much or more about the operation of a farm than he did.