Jax Brightsteel: Sword for Hire

Story Info
The start of an adventure of an sell sword.
892 words
4.32
9.8k
8

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 05/05/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
schreckdog
schreckdog
14 Followers

Here I am once again broke. The port of Summers Kiss is a beautiful place, but not for a sell sword in times of peace. Don't get me wrong, peace is great, but I am in desperate need of a job.

Summers Kiss is a bustling city on the west coast of the kingdom of Aereon. Full of merchant ships coming in with goods from all over the world. Silks from the far east across the ocean, furs from the northern cities of Wintervale where the orcs dwell in the mountains and fine jewelry from the southern lands made by the Dwarven craftsman.

The city is full of others like myself, all looking for work, either from merchants needing their wares protected or on the ships as hired hands. Of course, some find work as thieves or pirates.

Unfortunately, there's just not much work for me when times are good. No fighting amongst the kingdoms. Just normal people doing normal things and I'm not the normal type.

I make my living selling protection to others or procuring things for a price. I'm not really a thief, a soldier, a pirate or a brawler. Just a mixture of the lot.

I have no family to speak of. Parents died during the goblin wars when I was just old enough to take care of myself. Been on my own ever since. Traveling from town to town looking for work to survive. Never settling down anywhere.

There's tales from the docks and the pubs that the goblins are venturing further south from the mountains they dwell in. The orcs there have been at peace with us since the goblin wars. Trading their furs and armor with us. Lately though, something is amiss.

The northern lands are full of mountains. The orcs, goblins, ogres, trolls and other foul creatures lurk there. They fight amongst themselves, but never outside of their own lands.

Allow me to explain The Goblin Wars. It all started when an orgre who claimed to be king, began gathering up an army of goblins up to fight against the southern kingdoms to take more land and against the perceived injustice. The orcs wanted nothing to do with it. At least most didn't. Their tribes split up over which side was right and that's when the fighting started.

The ogre king along with the goblins and some of the orcs started marching south. Goblins pillaged every town they came across. They raped the women first in front of the men before slicing their throats. Killing every man, woman and child and burning down what they didn't take. It was savage brutal warfare.

The war didn't last but a few months. The creatures of the northern lands aren't strategists. They usually fight one another to gain control of tribes, not plan an all out war. So, order began to fall apart amongst the different tribes. They fought amongst themselves over who took what trophies of war. That was the beginning of their end.

The ogre king himself was a rare creature amongst his kind. Wise, smart, cunning and brutal. He wanted to gather all his might against the humans. He wanted as much of our lands as possible.

Fortunately, a hero rose along with his reported mage wife, against the ogre king and killed him in what would be the final battle of the war. The ogre king killed scores of men before he met his match. It was a battle for the ages. The unknown swordsman struck blow after bloody blow. His mage wife peppered his flesh with jagged rocks and slowed his movements with the earth grabbing hold of him. The ogre was enraged at his inability to strike down his foes. He lunged at the mage with his bare hands to crush her only to miss, leaving his neck exposed long enough for his head to be removed from it by the swordsman.

The unknown swordsman and mage who managed to rid the world of the most vile ogre king are said to have disappeared after the battle. Nobody has seen them since. His sword was well known and rightfully christened OGRESBANE. A legend of a sword. It's said to have been magical. Rumors of it exist well after the heroes disappeared.

The heroes of the war, nobody knows much of them. She was an elemental mage. A rare gift for sure. Able to command the earth itself to fight for her. The greatest sell swords ever along with the greatest mage. Legends. They didn't fight for any king or kingdom, so their isn't any written documentation on either of them. They just showed up out of no where to help in the battle and thus slew the ogre. Nothing could cut through the hide of that ogre. Until OGRESBANE that is.

The ogres army immediately fell apart upon his death. Some fled back to the mountains, but most where killed or taken prisoner.

We still trade with the orcs that didn't participate in the war and some even work and live in our cities. Outcasts for the most part really. They're great hunters and blacksmiths, but most folk distrust them. Me, I don't really care one way or the other. I'm just a sell sword trying to get by.

Going to travel north where the action and hopefully the coin is.

schreckdog
schreckdog
14 Followers