Jewel Thief

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Are you okay, honey?” He asked as she smiled gratefully.

“I’m fine, Josh. Thanks to Mrs Faulkner keeping me safe.” She turned to Harry, “The broach fell from Maxwell’s pocket. Just now.”

“She’s right Harry. I saw it.” Mrs Faulkner finally spoke up. “He stole it from her house,” her arthritic finger pointed at Maxwell.

Max stood, his head hung low, his shoulders slumped.

“Is that right Mr Blackburn?”

“Yeah.”

“Then I’m arresting you on the charge of breaking, entering and stealing. You have the right to remain silent…” Harry continued issuing the warning.

“Wait, Harry,” Ginny interrupted. “I’m not laying charges.”

Betty Faulkner’s gasp was audible.

“I doubt that Max will be taking the broach again. I think this time he may have learned his lesson. Max, do you agree with me?”

“Ginny, I don’t want anything more to do with you or the family jewels. You can keep the darn thing. It’s a worthless piece of junk anyway.”

“Hmm. That seemed like a quick switch of attitude to me. Let’s have a look at that broach, Ginny.” Josh held his hand out for the piece of ornate jewelry. Ginny placed it gently into his palm.

“Did it not have a back to it, Ginny?”

“Yes, of course it did. Where is the backing for it, Max?”

“There was no backing when I found it.”

The bright pink tracksuit’s occupant, chortled. “Try his other pocket, dear.”

Harry moved forward, put his hand inside Max’s trouser suit pocket then pulled it out. He held the cardboard backing, and a small red jewel.

“Ah. That’s more like it.” Josh picked up the jewel. “This is the gem that belongs in the broach. The real ruby.” They crowded around as he took the garnet from its setting, then carefully replaced it with the ruby. He held the broach out for them all to see. The ruby sparkled in the light.

Ginny closed her eyes. An overwhelming picture in her mind’s eye of her grandmother, wearing a full length dark blue velvet gown, her hair up high in a bun, the ruby broach sparkling at her breast.

“Are you all right, Ginny love?” At the concern in Josh’s voice, Ginny opened her eyes.

“I’m fine, Josh. I just had a beautiful vision of Grandma wearing the broach,” Ginny smiled.

Josh held the filigree broach carefully. He unpinned the clasp, stood in front of Ginny, then pinned the broach to her blouse. “This is where the broach rightfully belongs,” he smiled as he looked into her sparkling eyes. “Ginny, I love you. Will you marry me?”

“Oh, Josh! I love you too, you already know I will!” She flung her arms around his neck, held him close, then kissed him deeply.

Behind them, Harry cleared his throat. “Right then, I’ll best be off. What am I doing with this scoundrel, Ginny?”

“Oh Harry, let him go. Wait. There’s one more thing.” Ginny walked over to Max. “Here Max, you wanted the broach so badly, you can keep the garnet.” She dropped the cheap gem into his upturned palms. “Maybe you can make yourself a piece of jewelry from it, that will remind you of the time you almost went to jail.”

Harry unlocked the cuffs. Max pocketed the garnet, then rubbed his wrists. He shook his head, mumbled something incoherent in a nasty tone then walked out the door.

“Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say,” Betty Faulkner bent and picked up the frying pan. “And don’t come back!” She shouted at Max’s retreating back. “Come on Harry, let’s leave these two love birds to play.”

“But I have to take a Statement from them for the boss,” Harry protested.

“Leave it until tomorrow. These two younguns have things to do. Why don’t you take me down to the local for a soda pop?” She held his arm, dragged him out the front door, then along the path to his police car. She could be heard telling him what to do when they drove off.

“Ah, finally, I have you to myself. Are you okay sweetheart?” Josh held her tight and looked closely into her eyes, his thumb brushed her temple.

“I’m fine honey. Just a little tired. I’m feeling swamped with the return of all my memories. I remember it all.”

“Do you remember why you were on the side of the road?”

“I was running away. Running from an engagement I didn’t want. Max had told me we were marrying. I guess that was his way of making sure I didn’t tell anyone what I’d heard my father and him rowing about. He wouldn’t listen to reason, wouldn’t believe me when I told him I’d not talk to his parents. He didn’t want them to know he’d stolen the broach. You know,” she tapped her chin thoughtfully. “He must have known for a long time that the ruby was hidden behind the garnet. I wonder how he found out.”

“I guess your grandmother must have mentioned it at some point. He probably heard her talking about it. He saw an opportunity and seized it for himself. It doesn’t matter now though, he’s gone from your life and now we can move on with ours.”

She melted back into his arms. “Mmm yes. Now tell me Josh, when are we getting married?”

“The end of this week ought to be free. Saturday. I don’t have any operations this weekend. Fancy marrying me on Saturday, Ginny?”

“Far out! That’s no time for doing anything! What am I going to wear?”

“I’m sure Betty has something she can lend you for the day,” his mischievous grin worked. Ginny fell against him laughing.

“Okay, I’ll ask her for something in lime green. I’m sure she’ll have the perfect outfit for me.”

“You wear lime green, and I’ll wear my hospital gown and slippers.”

They left the house, arm in arm. The sun settled on the horizon then slipped low. Their love glowed about them and they both knew they’d be together forever.

12