Julie Ch. 04

Story Info
A girl's night out cut short.
1.6k words
4.37
12.1k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/05/2022
Created 04/16/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Surprisingly enough, Matthew kept popping by Margie's Diner while his sister was working. They talked a lot but despite her best attempts at flattery, Matthew would not let any more of his idea slip save that it was the best one imaginable. Five days and still unable to wrestle a single character from him, she was rather disappointed with herself.

Her shifts at the diner had increased the week before and yielded less and less sleep for her. A few days ago Julie got home and collapsed into bed. Yet no refreshing or restful feelings came with slumber. She would close her eyes until the alarm clock proclaimed a new day. Restless nights followed and caused a sensation that Julie had not felt for a long time.

She wanted to draw – at work she her fingers would itch to have a pencil in them. While not able to sleep Julie fought the temptation to get up and grab her old notebook. Soon enough she began grabbing the napkins and used bills at work and sketching some of the people at the diner in her spare time. It didn't take long for Franky's keen eyes to spot this change, but she noticed that Julie kept up with the customers and said nothing of it.

Franky had begun to like Matthew for his frequent appearances because Julie's attitude and demeanor became more social and friendly. While Julie was certainly not a cold and sullen workaholic, being in her brother's presence made the chip on her shoulder lessen in size. Almost immediately Franky was glad of it and hoped Julie would stay out of her shell.

"Say, Matthew. You want to do me a favor?" Franky approached him while Julie was busy waiting on another table.

A smile spread quickly over Matthew's countenance. He had guessed that Franky was about fifty and definitely had the look of a mother hen while still being very outgoing. Over the past few visits, she had really taken to him and he appreciated her good taste and sense of humor. After all, a lady over fifty who obviously still dyes her hair dark red and tries to pass it off as her natural color has a sense of humor. "But of course. What could I possibly do?"

"A couple of the other girls and me are going out on Friday and Julie's not working. You should tell her to come along with us. She's been working so hard here and needs a night out and a good sleep in."

He frowned. "Ah, I'll tell her, but I make no guarantees. I took her out a couple of weeks ago and she freaked out a bit; wouldn't let me take her again." Matthew's smile reappeared as Franky refilled his coffee cup. "Why? What debauchery are you getting her caught up in? What intrigues are you delving into? Spare no detail."

"A few drinks, Casanova; that's all. It's just a girl's night out. Otherwise you'd be invited, too."

"Considering that I'll be doing you a favor, could you do me one? It's about Julie..."

***

Soon after, Matthew simply told Julie to go out on Friday. "You need to get out and do more than wait tables. Go with them, I'm sure Franky will take good care of you."

Surprisingly, Julie agreed almost right off. The shock was evident on Matthew's face, but he was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. "Good. Seems like someone now knows how I am always right."

"No, more-like someone keeps getting pestered to go by Franky. And I was going to accept anyway. A non-male environment is pretty ideal right now and more so because I trust Franky."

"But no males?"

Ah, here comes the prying, she wryly concluded. "No males."

"Don't I count?"

"Nope. You're really just a girl with stubble to me."

Matthew definitely thought the idea was less than palatable. "Dude, not cool. I might tell Mom about that time you caused the death of her favorite plant and a hole in the—"

A small laugh escaped from Julie, breaking her deadpan. "All right, you're not a girl with stubble."

"Thank you."

"You're just a plain girl."

The two began play-fighting, throwing sugar packets and napkins at each other until Franky broke up the fun. Matthew persuaded the older lady to reserve her wrath for another rabble-rouser with one of his angelic faces before he quickly escaped the diner.

Out in the crisp air and sunshine, Michael was smiling inside. "Not long now."

***

The curious old man at the bar was looking at her intently. Julie couldn't figure out why, but she smiled back at him. So much for no men at all tonight, she thought. But at least that guy isn't here...

With a crinkly smile, the man extended his hand. "Hello, my dear. I'm Walt Russell; who're you?"

"Julie – Julie Barton." She shook his hand and noticed Walt was not as weak as she presumed.

"And what're you doing here all alone?"

If it weren't for the respectful demeanor of Walt, Julie would have run away by now. Maybe I should anyway. With a shrug she thought better of it. "I'm waiting for some of my friends."

Walt gave a knowing nod and sipped briefly at his mug until Julie posed a question of her own.

"And why are you so solitary?"

That sly old grin crept back onto Walt's face as his put his pint down. "I am not alone. I'm an old friend of the owners. Not so much an old friend but a friend who is old." He gave a wink and Julie could not help the corners of her mouth tweaking up in humor.

The bartender came out of the back room and found another person at the bar. Speedily, he walked up to the girl chatting with Walt. "Aww, did you make a friend, Walt?"

Julie looked up and found a familiar pair of eyes regarding her. Not quite the ones that had set her pulse into a flutter the last time in the bar, but very close. Almost immediately she cast down her eyes and started to get up from her stool. But Walt's hand upon her own gave her pause. "Of course, Chris. This is my good friend Julie." He spoke to her in a very gentlemanly tone. "Julie, this is Christopher, one of the owners of C&P."

Julie gave a hollow, "Hello," just as Franky walked in.

"Julie! You were supposed to meet us at the diner." Julie looked up and smiled at her boss and friend. In a pretty black sweater and dark red pants she made Julie feel a little underdressed. That notion was soon squalshed as Franky enveloped her in a warm hug. "Hey, Chris! Five margaritas in your finest booth, if you please."

"Right away, Franky. You've got a new girl?"

Franky busied herself by bustling Julie over to the appropriate booth. "Yes and no. She's not exactly new but it's her first time here." Once they all got settled, Julie sat back and listened to chatting the others did. Sarah and Eliza were in their mid-thirties and fairly pretty. As each had a boyfriend they brought together the idea of a girl's night out as a treat for the men in their lives -- and, more importantly, as a treat for themselves.

Eliza covertly checked out her complexion with her compact. She spoke softly enough to the others but loud enough to be heard over the gradually increasing volume of people, "Oh, if only I weren't with Brad, I would definitely go talk to Chris."

"I'd talk to him and his brother all night long if I could. Then I'd jump their bones," Sarah retorted. This got a little rise out of the others while Julie smirked a little. "I wasn't the only one thinking it."

Franky sat next to Julie and gave her a little nudge. "Now you can see why they demand to come here every week. Eye candy," she coyly spoke. "I took them one week and they've been coming here every Friday since."

A few minutes passed with the subjects of conversation being Christopher and his brother until Christopher himself came over with their drinks, effectively halting that discussion. Then Julie observed a sort of ritual as her co-workers seemed to take turns in telling about the present state of their lives. When it came to Julie, they accordingly paused until Franky broached the subject.

"So how are you doing, Julie? Anything going on in your life?"

Carefully Julie sipped on her margarita and thought of what to say. "Not really. Just the diner and getting pestered by my brother."

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Sarah queried.

"No."

Eliza was thrilled. "You mean you're single? You should go talk to Christopher or Peter! We can live vicariously through you! Oh look, Pete just walked in. He's very nice."

Sure enough, a man did enter the bar at that moment, although he didn't seem very pleased. Julie's heart skipped a beat; his dark hair just brushed the top of his leather jacket, making him look incredibly rugged. She didn't know what to do but came to a sudden conclusion just as she heard Franky calling out, "Peter!"

The look of utter horror from Julie probably should have given the rest a clue, but they were too pleased with Eliza's idea. Peter in turn made his way through the now crowded bar and began to approach the table when Julie began her goodbyes. Sorry to see her go, Franky gave her a hug.

This delay gave Peter enough time to get to the table. "Hi."

His eyes were fixedly on hers and Julie panicked. Nodding slightly, she rushed out the door without looking back. It was only when she got to her car in the lot that she realized she'd been trembling. Before she could analyze what had her heart beating like a disco bass drum, the engine turned over and Julie raced out of the parking lot.