Karma Ain't Always a Bitch Ch. 05

Story Info
Vanessa then and now.
15.7k words
4.53
13.5k
10

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/14/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you for taking the time to read this story. It still feels like I'm floating in the Twilight Zone when I see that another person has read this.

A huge thank you to Jen for not only the editing, but for the general hand holding. Good luck.

Any comments or feedback are welcome and can be left through my profile.

Thanks again, TNC

***************

The sun had been shining in his eyes for a while and he started trying to get loose, he had breakfast to make; he stopped just short of falling out of the swing. The rays were just coming over the horizon and if it were any other, promised to be a perfect summer day. Picking up the empty bottles, Mark headed in for coffee and another long day, wondering what the next few hours would bring.

He started two pots of coffee, one for him and the other for Vanessa and Amy. He had grown addicted to the "yank your eyelids off and beat your brain awake" strength that the guys on the boat brewed, although the ladies objected. Not wanting to deal with either of the two ladies sans caffeine, he started a pot with a more pedestrian strength for the "morning people" still sleeping. Pouring his pot into two big mugs and theirs into a carafe, Mark headed out to the garage, he needed to think and he thought better when his hands were moving.

Turning the stereo on, he found a classic rock station and cranked the volume up as he put Amy's truck and Vanessa's Porsche on the lifts. Occupying his hands with the manual labor, he made a mental list of phone calls to be made and issues to cover with Scott. When the wheels were off and the oil was draining into the catch cans, he was well into the air guitar solo in "Free Bird" and turned, jumping up and hitting his head on a brake rotor as he noticed someone behind him.

With his mind off thinking and the loud music someone could have driven a tank through the place and he wouldn't have noticed.

"Shitfuckpissdamnohfuckme that hurts like forty seven motherfuckers!" Forgetting his visitor and lapsing into boat language as the only thing available that properly summed up his feelings.

He felt a pair of hands guiding him to the couch and when his eyes uncrossed he found that he was staring into the deep brown eyes that had stolen his heart the first time he saw them in the club. He also saw that the only thing she was wearing was the tee shirt he had put her to bed in, the animal part of his brain started singing her body's praises. If he and Amy hadn't exhausted each other, he would have Vanessa bent over the couch enjoying the feel as her ass bounced off his stomach with each thrust.

When he made it to her eyes, they were puffy and full of a sadness that ripped through the hastily constructed box he had stuffed his feelings in to shield himself, allowing him to deal with everything on better terms. He was planning on dealing with them when he hadn't been up for two days and had the advantage of some time to wear down the edges of the knife he felt twisting in his heart, and twenty four hours wasn't long enough.

He held up a finger and went to turn the music down and wash his hands. He came back with an ice pack in one hand and a beer in the other, this day was fucked anyway and he had already gone through more than enough happy hours since he slept last. Draining half of the bottle, he set it down as he slid back against the arm of the couch and looked at his wife as she sat on the other end, facing the far wall.

Vanessa woke up, not recognizing where she was and when the room came into view, her world crashed around her ears. When she sat up, she felt the soreness from the two huge dildos and then remembered the tender way Mark had taken care of her. She padded down the hall to her bedroom expecting to find Mark and pulled up short when she saw Amy's sleeping form. Seeing her mussed hair and the serene look, she could imagine what had happened. Mark was more passionate than usual when they got back and she envied her friend, but couldn't be angry, not after what she had done. Turning and pulling the door closed behind her, she went into the den, stopping when she saw the splintered wound in the table. The shears were there but not their rings.

She searched through the rest of the house and smelled coffee. If there was a place he would be it was in the garage. Stopping to fill a mug, she allowed herself a small smile when she saw the thick foul stuff Mark called coffee. The one time she had tried it, she felt like she was bouncing off the walls and couldn't stop talking. Opening the back door gave her the answer to the location question as she heard the music pulsing through the walls.

Steeling herself and taking a deep breath she started down the steps and across the yard. The music got louder as she got closer and she pressed her full lips into a thin line. With Mark, the louder the music, the more upset he was and with the level at just below where your ears start bleeding, he was royally pissed. Pressing her forehead against the door, she could feel the bass pulsing through her, just like the night he had saved her from Chad.

They had never talked about it, but they would be now, if she could get to her Mark again.

Vanessa stepped into the garage and her world narrowed as she saw Mark, his back to her as he worked on her car. She memorized each part of him and vowed that she would do whatever it took to keep the man that held her heart in his hands. As she walked closer she started laughing as the wrench he was using turned into an air guitar. She was getting ready to touch his arm, when he turned and jumped up like she had lit his feet on fire, straight into the brake rotor.

He stood stunned for a second, but she knew he was ok when he started cussing, although the glazed and slightly cross-eyed look did concern her as she led him to the couch. As she was helping him sit down his eyes focused on her and there was a moment when she saw the damage she had done. She lost herself in the pit he was looking up at her from, feeling the pain that was her fault as a stake through her heart, bringing tears to her eyes. Even when he slammed the walls back in place, she could still see the haunted look behind them.

When he returned with a beer, she knew he was upset. Add to that the circles under his eyes and she guessed he hadn't been asleep for quite a while. She winced as he drained half the bottle while he held the ice to his head. She wanted to reach over and take care of him, but she was held in place by the look of betrayal that she could see in his eyes

When Mark was settled on the couch, he waited. He didn't really know where to start and really wasn't in the shape he needed to be in to deal with it, but here they were. He had started drifting, letting the music sooth his frayed nerves when he heard her start.

"You remember me saying I was so alone?" And waited until she was sure he was back before she continued. "I didn't have anyone I could go to and got myself caught in something."

Turning to look into his eyes, she took a deep breath and went on, "remember Chad?" She saw the nod and said, "When Mom and Dad split, I took a second job making deliveries to help Mom with expenses. It wasn't much but it helped. As it turned out, the deliveries were drugs and money. Chad contacted me after he got out of jail and found out we were married. He threatened to implicate you unless I did what he wanted. It would have destroyed your career and ruined everything, that and I couldn't stand to see the disappointment in your eyes. So much for that. God, I fucked up everything. I'll do whatever you want. If you want me to go, just say so, but please hold me a last time." She trailed off in silence as the tears flowed from her eyes.

Mark's emotions were ping ponging between anger, sadness, despair and ending with compassion. He expected the anger to last but when she looked up and he saw the loss and resignation in her eyes, his insides started to melt. There were some huge hurdles to get past, but he felt his arms opening and then the familiar form of his sobbing wife filling them. There were three people that could rip his heart out and stomp on it and be welcomed into his life again, one was sleeping, one was dead and the other had her face buried in his chest. Leaning his head back, he felt his own trickling down his cheeks, falling in her hair.

Thinking of Amy brought the night back to him in vivid detail.

"Ness, Amy and," stopping as she looked up, intending to clear the air.

"I know baby. And no, I'm not mad. Who could blame you? I meant what I said earlier. I'll do what I have to do to keep you in my life." She could tell that he was thinking about what she said and what to do about it and waited until he looked down again.

He looked into her eyes and saw nothing but openness and an absolute devotion to him.

"I love her too Ness." He started.

"I know that baby; you would have to be blind not to see it," shocking him in the lack of animosity.

"Ummmmmm." Was all he managed to push past his numb lips.

Taking a minute to mentally catch up from left field where he had last been seen, "well, Scott will be over before noon and I think we need to let the Captain know what's up. This isn't the kind of thing you blind side anyone with. I'm going to need you to go and explain the situation; names and places, the whole nine yards." He saw her nodding to everything, relieving him more than he expected

"I need to talk to Jack too." Continuing as the shadow went across her eyes. "He'll be fine if I don't start in the middle. People like Chad and his buddies are Jack's specialty, and he would love to discuss china patterns with them I'm sure." Jack was a little less protective, if a mother wolverine could be less protective than a mother grizzly, that is.

"I've got no idea what to do Ness. Even with the whole Chad thing." He trailed off. "Why didn't you come to me?"

"I couldn't handle disappointing you. So instead of that, I ended up hurting you worse than ever. I'm so sorry if that's worth anything right now." tears forming again.

He didn't have a clue what to say, so he sat and waited for something to come to his addled mind. Nothing showed up so he stared at her, waiting.

"Please wait until we, I, get this mess fixed before you decide. I can't handle it alone Mark." looking up at him, her eyes glistening.

Finally something that he could latch on to; he nodded ok. He didn't know why she needed him, she seemed to be the one that had it together and he was along for the ride and had married way above himself.

"Ok. I can't say everything will be fine, there's just too much shit floating right now for me to see the surface. Plus, Amy is part of the mix now too." Although that was much like saying milk was part of a cow. She had been there at the beginning and had always been there, and Vanessa knew better than to try to separate him from Amy, or Jack for that matter.

"Baby, I told you that I would be happy with what you can give me and I meant it. I know I've got no right to ask but will you do me a favor and at least not make love to her in the same room?" She asked plaintively but softened it with a small smile.

"You know me better than that, Ness. Plus, I'm not even sure she would want to. Last night was a "heat of the moment" thing and I'm too burnt right now to think straight. Not to mention starving. I think the last time I ate was Wednesday night and I can't remember when I slept last. Can we hold off the forever talks until I can get a nap, please?

He leaned down and kissed her softly on the top of the head. "I love you as much as I ever have, but I don't like you very much right now."

Vanessa melted into his arms, feeling anchored and secure for the first time since Chad resurfaced. It never got old being in Mark's arms, feeling sheltered and safe no matter what was swirling around them. She could still feel the current rushing past them, but it never managed to reach into her sanctuary.

Mark felt complete again, strangely enough. He knew inside that as long as he had Amy and Vanessa, nothing could hurt them. The puzzle was finished; he just had no idea what it looked like yet.

The embrace allowed them to draw strength from each other and calmed the waters, at least to the point that the boat wasn't sinking. It remained to be seen which way they were headed, but at least they were still floating.

"Now, let's see if we can at least take the first bite out of this elephant, I hear it tastes great with ketchup, hungry?" In an attempt to lighten the mood, which worked a little, drawing a small smile from Vanessa as they headed back to the house

Mark started another pot of high test and took a cup of regular to Amy. The shower started as he went into the room, shutting the door behind him. He stood watching her, lost in the memories of the night, scared to wake her up and break the spell. He reached out and brushed her hair back from her face, smiling nervously when she opened her eyes.

"Good morning, beautiful"

"Good morning sweetheart," she said with an answering grin. "Is that coffee I smell? Caffeine will get you anything you want." She added with a purr as she stretched, the sheet slipping down to expose her nipples. Pulling him down to sit on the bed, she leaned in and kissed him.

Mark sighed in relief when he figured out she didn't hate him for what happened between them and relaxed, his lips saying what there were no words to express.

"Where did you sleep last night sweetie?" She asked breathlessly when he pulled back. "I rolled over and you were gone."

"Wellllll" he started, a fearful look flashed across her face. "It was just me and the owl, baby."

Amy thought he had slept with Vanessa, the idea disturbing her, even though she was the outsider pushing her way in, the breath she didn't realize she was holding escaping in a rush. She shouldn't have felt relief; he looked even more like an extra from a zombie movie than he did earlier.

"Once you're done in the shower, all of us need to talk, things are worse than I thought. Oh, and I told Vanessa about last night and us," Mark said as Amy flopped back on the bed, her eyes wide. "She said she figured it out when she saw you. Something about recognizing the signs."

"And she was ok with it?" Amy asked after a pause.

"Not really, but given the circumstances, there's really nothing she can say about it." He answered. "Now get that cute ass in the shower, we've got a long day ahead of us and Scott will be here in a bit."

"I love you baby," Amy said as she stood and pulled his face against her bare stomach.

"I love you too," he hugged her hips, then squeezed her ass with a growl.

"Breakfast should be ready in thirty minutes," watching her as she walked into the bathroom. He headed out the door, taking a pair of shorts and a tee shirt for Vanessa to wear until they could get some of her stuff washed.

Vanessa finished first, and came into the kitchen with that towel thing that herd members wore to secret meetings, and sat down content to let the normalcy of Mark cooking sooth her nerves. Amy came in a minute later with the same headdress and Mark turned to see if there was some kind of secret hand shake that went with the turban, and started giggling as the thought bounced around his semi-functioning mind.

"You look like hell," both women said. They stared at each other for a second, and then joined the delirious idiot at the stove in a giggle. With the ice broken a little, the two women in Mark's life sat talking, each keeping a worried eye on him.

"How much of that sludge you call coffee have you had this morning." Vanessa asked.

"Two," was the short, guarded response.

"Cups?" Amy asked with a raised eyebrow, sharing a look with Vanessa.

"Pots." Although he managed to have something that needed a vigorous stirring obscuring the word.

"What was that again?" Vanessa asked, the ladies ganging up again.

"Pots." Mark said as he turned around to see two sets of very irritated and distraught eyes, each of them knowing that he was running on fumes and they were a part of the reason.

Both women moved with what had to be the hive mentality bestowed with the turbans. Amy intercepted the spatula and Vanessa grabbed his arm, turning him to the table, pressing him into a chair, holding him there through the force of her will alone. She couldn't stop him from standing up if he wanted to, but her small hand effectively stopped him from vibrating out of the seat.

Mark had no idea how tired he was until he quit moving; the last forty eight hours conspired with the emotional turmoil and were enough to overwhelm even the coffee. When the plate was put in front of him, he ate mechanically barely tasting what filled his stomach. He felt hands helping him to his feet and sensed the two women helping him to bed. There was a dim sense of surprise when he felt his shorts leaving the same time as his shirt.

When he felt a set of lips on each cheek, he wrapped his arms around each lady, refusing to let go until they had settled in on either side of him. He fell asleep with each girl's head lying on an arm that was wrapped protectively around them.

Mark woke up and didn't remember lying down or much past waking up Amy. He seemed to remember having two armfuls of women though, and he currently was two short of that total. Looking at the clock jolted him awake, it was 230 and he had slept through the time Scott was coming by and he had never meant to leave Amy and Vanessa alone. Throwing a shirt on and hopping up and down, he managed to get his shorts pulled up before rushing into the den.

Both girls looked up in curiosity at an obviously flustered Mark. Not only did he have the shirt on backward, but the shorts were inside out, the pockets flapping as he came sliding around the corner. They both looked at him, then each other, before breaking down and laughing. Getting up from the piles of folded clothes, they turned him around to try again, while making all sort of jokes about men getting dressed without supervision.

Mark had expected a lot of things, but not the two women pleasantly socializing. He thought that maybe he was going to wake up any second to the house coming apart when the two female forces of nature collided. Taking a second look in the mirror, he shared a mental laugh, although he would never admit it. He looked like he had never gotten dressed on his own before. That's when he remembered Scott and the rest of the mess that was waiting for him.

Checking the offending garments twice for details like tags and pockets pointing in the traditional directions, he tried his entrance again, only to be greeted by whistling and cheering from the peanut gallery. He was just bowing and starting a search of coffee when Vanessa stopped him with a quick kiss and told him to sit down. When she had gone to the kitchen, Amy came over and sat on the arm of the chair and kissed him, sliding down on one side to pull his arm around her waist.

Vanessa came in, put his cup on the table and slid in on the other side, effectively making the coffee a tantalizing mirage. It was obvious that they had something that needed talking about and he wasn't about to try to stand in its way. He kissed the top of each head and leaned back, there were a lot worse ways he could think of to wake up.

Mark had drifted into the place that no herd member could go, the one where there were no thoughts, just the mental test pattern. How long he was there he didn't know, but two very amused blue eyes and two equally amused brown eyes were looking at him when he came back.

"Yes ma'am's? How may I help you?"

"Did you hear anything I just said?" Amy asked with a grin.

"Not a chance Amy." Vanessa chimed in. "He was probably thinking about world peace or ending hunger, either that or something equally as important like why paint was named paint. He did have that out to lunch look on his face you know," adding with an answering grin.