Kate & Jim Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How long were you and Sally married?"

"Sally Ann and I were happily married for twenty-three years," Tom replied, putting his hand in his pocket to feel his ring, a 23 rd. wedding anniversary gift from her, the love of his life; Sally Ann passed away shortly after.

"Did you love her, Tom?"

"Sally Ann was the love of my life."

"Good, I pegged you right away for a decent man, although I have my doubts about these so called men who will allow a woman to break up a fight."

Jim had quietly directed them back to their seats with intimidating looks and motions with his hand, a fist and then a thumb pointing to their table while Kate's attention was on Tom. Tom caught the gesture's playing along. They hadn't talked in years but they knew each other well and old signals and understandings remained.

"Tom, did you and your wife talk things out before things got out of hand?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Do you hear that Jim?" Kate said, looking at Jim, it was Tom's turn to grin, "They talked things out. If that goes for me, it goes for you. Will you be reasonable and talk things out with him? Otherwise don't you think the word hypocrite comes to mind?"

"Maybe; does the word latitude come to mind, Katherine? You are close, one toe over the line, but for you my love, and in Sally's memory, I will hear what he has to say," the grin hiding on his face.

"Fine then, we'll discuss the issue of latitude later and settle now what is at hand."

At that point the Kate proclaimed jackasses at Tom's table and everyone in the restaurant watched things unfold. Kate turned her attention to Tom's now somber face.

"And you Tom, will you be reasonable?"

"Yes Ma'am, I know a brave lady when I see one and I respect that. For your sake I will be just as reasonable as Jim, and I'll start.

Jim, we agreed this is neutral ground and to avoid each other when we are here. I didn't break our agreement despite what you think.

Yes, I was attempting to make time with her. I saw a beautiful woman sitting alone. I sat down to talk to her. I didn't know Katherine was your lady or that you were in the parking lot.

How was I to know? Before we fell out you were an avowed bachelor. You never brought a lady here in all the years I have known you."

"Fair enough, Tom." Jim replied his anger cooling. He realized fighting Tom wouldn't be a cakewalk. They were evenly matched and ended up bloody and battered the last time they fought, neither one holding back or giving ground. Tom's punches were like mule kicks and he could hit equally hard with both hands. They would have seriously hurt each other if it weren't for Sally.

"It has been a long time since we spoke, Tom. You wouldn't have known. I guess we will never know who is top dog."

"Yeah, I guess we won't, what a shame."

"I agree. I suppose there is no more to say."

"Just one thing, Jim, congratulations, I wish you both well. That being said, you're not good enough for Katherine."

"Yeah, thanks. But it seems to me I always told you that in regard to Sally. I'll be seeing you around and ignoring you."

"Yeah, me too."

"Is that the best you both can do?" Kate asked, letting go of their clothes.

"Yes," they said in unison.

"You both are bullheaded and obtuse."

"Yes, ma'am, "They said together, grinning.

"Well, it will have to do for now."

"A pleasure to meet you, Katherine," Tom said, walking back to his table....

Momma Nancy's was well know for their corned beef hash and Jim had three plates of it along with six eggs over easy, just as many pieces of toast, and several cups of coffee to wash it down.

Kate had a single order and had to admit the corned beef hash was as good as she could make, making it a point to have their waitress tell the owner, who in turn stopped at the table to talk with them, trading recipes while Jim was working on his second plate.

While they were eating, "Jim, what happened between you and Tom? I didn't talk with him long but he was a gentleman with me."

"We were both at fault, me more than him."

"Are you going to tell me what happened?"

"Someday," and Jim raised his hand to get the waitress's attention for his third plate of corned beef hash, eggs and toast."

"Tom said you were good friends once."

"We were."

"Are you angry with me or just avoiding the subject."

"I'm not angry Kate," as his third plate arrived and the waitress topped off their coffee cups, "Please pass the hot sauce, beautiful."

"Then you are avoiding the subject?"

"Maybe."

"You are impossible."

"I'm impossibly in love with you, Katherine."

"I know, don't change the subject. Are you two ever going to swallow your pride and shake hands to make up?"

"Weren't you paying attention, Katherine?"

"You call that making up?

"What did you want me to do, kiss him?"

"No of course not, but you could have at least shaken his hand."

"I'd rather kiss you."

"It would be a magnanimous gesture to shake his hand in front of the regulars."

"Maybe."

"Will you be the bigger man and shake Tom's hand before we leave?"

"Slide over and kiss me first," and Kate did, putting her arms around Jim's neck and kissed his cheek, "Please?"

"Maybe... ouch, OK, OK, I'll shake his hand," Jim said, rubbing his ear where Kate pinched it.....

Jim's arm was around Kate's waist as they walked over to Tom's table.

"Tom, Katherine is making me shake your hand," Jim extended his hand and Tom took it.

"I understand, Jim, wives and fiancés can be like that," Tom said, solemnly, "but I draw the line at kissing."

"I agree, Tom. There is not enough Irish Whiskey in O'Brien's to drink you pretty."

"How would you know? My grandmother can drink you under the table."

"Bring your Grandmother to O'Brien's. I'll buy the first bottle of Jameson's and will match you both, drink per drink."

"When?"

"Right now. We will meet you there."

"Jim, I can't go looking like this."

"Grandma can't make it. I'll do you better and buy a bottle of Jameson 12-year-old Special Reserve."

"You were always a showoff, but without your Grandma you don't stand a chance."

"Maybe, but you don't stand a chance on the billiard table."

"Nobody stands a chance against you in a game of pool."

"Jim, I have to change first."

"Tom, we will meet you there in ninety minutes, Katherine wants to make herself more beautiful, if that is even possible...."

While pulling into their driveway, "Jim?"

"Yes, Kate."

"Is Tom a good pool player?"

"He is very good and known locally."

"Then he is a better player than you."

"Much better."

"Do you mind if I play him?"

"You play billiards, Kate?"

"I can hold my own."

"Well after your performance this evening, I have no doubt that you can. You prevented us from doing something stupid, my brave lady, and things couldn't have worked out better. We have a billiard table in the attic. Why haven't we played yet?"

"That was part of the master plan, to do things together but we got caught up in other things. I planned on letting you win to keep you interested."

"I wouldn't like that Kate. If you are a better player great, that moves you up a notch in my eyes. Did you think it would bother me losing to you?"

"That was before and this is now. I know you better now."

"What master plan?"

"It doesn't matter and is not important. What matters is friends and family, Jim. I can't tell you how much I miss Grandma Mavis."

"Give it time Kate. Eventually the neighbors will come around when we prove your innocence, assuming you want anything to do with them. Besides, in three days we will be on our way to sunny Florida."

As they were walking through the door Kate caught Jim off guard, tickling him and making him jump in surprise.

"Kate!" Jim exclaimed twisting around to grab her but Kate was too quick and darted around him and ran upstairs.

Jim shook his head, smiling, and slowly walked up the stairs to his bedroom to change....

Having exchanged his coveralls for faded blue jeans, a green flannel shirt and his well broken-in comfortable moccasins, Jim walked into the bathroom to find Kate putting the final touches on her makeup.

Kate had pinned her hair up in a french twist exposing her long neck. The blouse Kate chose was rather exotic with an oriental flavor made of red silk brocade embroidered with plum blossoms in gold colored thread and golden piping. The blouse had a Mandarin collar, bracelet sleeves and the traditional frog button side fasteners.

Kate was wearing this on top of snug fitting dark indigo jeans, and she chose white running shoes to give her a solid platform to stand on while she shot pool.

Jim put his arms around Kate's trim waist and nuzzled her neck before kissing her ears; "I love it when you put your hair up so I can get at your neck. I have not seen that blouse before, but you look exotic and lovely. Are you almost ready?"

"Almost, sweetheart," Kate said squeezing his hands, "do you want me to drive home? I'm not planning on drinking at all this evening."

"That's a good idea. I'm planning on tipping a few."

"In that case I absolutely will drive."

"Katherine."

"Yes, Jim."

"I love you..."

The usual crowd was at O'Brien's when Kate and Jim arrived to find Tom sitting at the bar talking to Patrick.

Tom got off his stool to greet them, "My goodness, Katherine, I mean wow, that's quite a change from earlier. If I remember correctly, red is the color of good luck in China, while the plum blossoms represent brave and noble."

"Thank you, Tom," Kate said, shaking his hand. "I'm not that brave, but I am a lucky woman."

"Do I still have to shake Jim's hand, Katherine?"

"Of course you do."

While they were shaking hands Patrick came out from the bar to greet Kate, hugging her lightly, "Thank you Katherine. You did in one day what I couldn't do in five years"

He then cuffed the two men in the back of the head and not gently.

"Jim, you obtuse horse's ass, our mutual friend, Tom, the other obtuse horse's ass told me what happened. It's about time you kissed and made up."

"Did you hear what Patrick said Tom? He wants us to kiss, yuk. Those are fighting words."

"Yea, Jim you're right, let me at him. After five years of no fighting celibacy we have to fight somebody. Do you want to kick his ass first, or shall I? We will have to clear some tables out of the way to make some room though."

"Good idea, we'll toss him for it. I'll grab Patrick's arms and you grab his legs. Katherine will call him in mid-air; how about the best five out of seven?"

"You will do no such thing," Kate said laughing, happy to be back at O'Brien's. She felt very at home here, "You three charming scallywags will be gentlemen."

"Yes Ma'am," they all said in unison, followed by Patrick saying, "I'm taking the rest of the night off, brave and noble lady. I will do you dubious gentlemen one better; a bottle of Jameson 18 year-old Gold Reserve to celebrate."

"I understand you are quite the billiard Master, Tom?" Kate inquired as Patrick went into his office to get the bottle.

"I can hold my own, Katherine. Do you play?"

"How about the best two out of three? After that, Jim and Patrick can play the winner if they like."

The boys tossed down a couple of shots, insulting each other while Katherine sipped club soda and brushed down the surface of the billiard table.

Kate reminisced about her Grandpa Jack as she selected her cue, wishing that her Grandpa's custom cue hadn't burned up in the fire.

Kate wiped a tear from her eye and sighed. Wishing that if there were only one thing she could have saved from the fire, including the house and it's entire contents, it had been Grandpa's cue.

Kate walked over to where the boys were standing and tapped Jim on the shoulder, he turned and Kate put her arms around Jim's neck and kissed his lips long and deep.

"I don't need Grandpa's pool cue, or anything else, Jim, I have you."

"What is this all about, Katherine, my love?" Jim asked hugging her, "Is that like the blond wig thing?"

"Perhaps, sweetheart," Kate said, rubbing his head.

"Ladies, choice, Katherine," Tom offered, "name your poison."

"Nine ball is fine with me," and this peaked Tom's interest even though he didn't start taking Kate seriously until they were halfway through the first game, which Kate won.

"The best two out of three?" Tom asked, which turned into three out of five.

When they were tied two and two, Kate offered, "This is your night boys. Have yourselves a good time."

And they did, they partnered off, Jim with Kate, Tom with Patrick and played eight ball until closing time....

It was raining when they said their final goodbyes, but a cold wind soon picked up until the rain was coming down in wind driven buckets.

Tom was happy for his friend, but a little sad and melancholy as he drove home. The first woman he tried to make time with since his wife died, and Kate was spoken for.

Tom came over the top of the hill on his road and then down the rise. He saw a green Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan at the bottom parked along the side of the road on the mud covered gravel median with no emergency flashers on.

He slowed down and saw the figure of a woman trying to change a tire and doing it unsafely; you never try to loosen the lug nuts with the tire jacked up off the ground.

Twenty-seven years with his father in the tire business, Tom knew how to safely change a tire.

He turned around and drove his Jeep Wrangler 4 X 4 behind the car to shine his headlights on it, turning on his off road spotlights for more illumination and then his emergency flashers before he got out.

"Pardon me Ma'am, do you need any help?" Tom could see her clothes were wet.

It was dark on this deserted country road, with only two houses on it and the woman was soaked to the skin and cold. She could smell alcohol on Tom's breath.

"I'm fine, but thank you for stopping, Sir. I'm almost done," she lied.

"I have," Tom started to say but instead grabbed her just in the nick of time as the jack, the wrong type for this model car slipped from underneath. They ended up in the grass with she on top of him.

Tom let go of her and she scrambled to her feet. He got up more slowly after taking the brunt of the fall, the woman backing away from him, cautiously. The hood on the woman's light cotton jacket had fallen back because of the fall and Tom could see that she had red hair just like Kate...was this an omen?

"I was going to tell you it is the wrong jack for your car. Even if it were the right one you should have a board underneath it being it is raining and the ground soaked."

"Have you been drinking."

"I live just up the road, and yes I was celebrating."

"The battery on my cell phone is dead. May I use yours to call my Auto Club?"

"You are welcome."

"Excuse me?"

"I said, you are welcome from keeping you from being hurt." Tom held out his hand, "Tom Butler. It is good you are cautious, but I'm not that kind of man."

"Thank you, Mr. Butler."

"Do you have a name?" Tom asked.

"My name is Dorothy," the woman replied, lying.

"Well, Dorothy, no last name," Tom, said, crouching down to look at the damage, "You are starting to shiver and I suggest you get out of the rain," and reaching down and feeling the oily puddle beneath the car, "It looks like the jack snapped your break line.

You won't be driving it anywhere soon. I have a 6-ton floor jack and the proper tools in the back of the Jeep. If you want, I will change the tire to save time for the tow truck driver.

"Dorothy Smith."

"OK then. Don't tell me your real name," Tom said getting the wool blanket he kept in the rear seat, "wrap this around yourself. My cell phone is in the cup holder.

The engine is running so why don't you sit on the driver side and turn up the heat. Lock the doors until the tow truck driver gets here in case I'm some kind of crazed predator. Assuming I am, you can always run me over when you make your quick get away."

"Sally McCarthy," she said wrapping the blanket around her and sticking her hand out for Tom to shake....

Jim had a lot on his mind when they got home and was unable to go to sleep right away, first and foremost because Jim reconnected with a friend; he lamented those five wasted years while looking forward to the future.

He went into the kitchen and made himself a pot of Earl Gray tea to go with some shortbread cookies to mull everything over

Months ago, Jim hired a private investigator to look into Katherine's case. He hired the man for results, and Jim didn't care how the investigator went about getting them.

As it turned out, heads would roll when the truth got out, which would be soon, perhaps shortly after they returned from Florida.

The private investigator, a retired CIA agent recommended by his uncle, met with Jim earlier in the week and advised him everything pointed to several factors.

Fact one, a deliberately sloppy police investigation. Fact two, Kate's lawyer was incompetent at best. Fact three, something Jim already knew, the prosecutor was politically ambitious, going for expediency instead of justice, and was now running for County Judge.

Fact four, the senior police investigator looking into Kate's case was up to his ears in debt and is related to Kate's Insurance broker, the broker's brother-in-law. To compound the problem, there were financial ties between Kate's ex-husband and the insurance broker.

Encouraged with this new information, Jim's oldest brother was going to take the case when he received the word.

He hadn't told Kate yet and wouldn't until most of the pieces were together and everything was set in motion. Jim was deep in thought when Kate walked up to him unnoticed.

"May I join you?" Kate asked, putting her bone china cup and saucer on the table and sitting across from him.

Not answering, Jim poured Kate a cup and pushed the cookie plate closer to her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Kate asked reaching across the table to squeeze Jim's hand. Kate was wearing nothing more than Jim's New York Yankee Baseball Jersey on top of her panties. It was like a loose nightgown for Kate and she started wearing it months ago, laying her claim on him.

"When the time comes, my love," he replied squeezing back.

They sat quietly together sipping their tea until Kate broke the silence, "Even if we get everything over turned, I don't care what the neighbors think. If they come around, fine, if not...." letting the implication being the hell with them.

"Things are falling into place, Katherine. That's all you need to know for now. Please trust me on this. There is no obtuse, bullheaded guy thing about it."

"Yes, sweetheart."

"Until it is settled, I need your full cooperation without question. Will you please do that for me no matter what I ask?"

"Yes, Jim."

"Thank you my love," Jim said getting up from his chair, offering Kate his hand and helping her to her feet.

Kate put her arms around his neck; Jim put his arms around her waist pulling her close, "Really Kate, a gaggle of Jackasses living their lives vicariously?"

Kate put her head on Jim's chest to listen to his heartbeat, "Well they should have done something."

"Thank goodness my little bitch saved the day."

"Thank you, I was in rare form, wasn't I?" Kate asked smiling.

"You were, Katherine."

"And the latitude part?" Kate asked.

"There is no need to discuss it," Jim gave her tight little ass a slap just hard enough to sting, making her yelp, and then, "Brute," she said, kissing his lips, "are you going to ravish me now?"

"Maybe."

"I'd pinch your ear, but I might get another slap on the ass."

"You know me so well, Katherine."

End of Chapter 2.