Kate & Jim Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Perhaps, I am," Jim agreed letting go of the young man who slid off the hood of his truck onto the ground in a puddle of pain and vomit, holding his groin and moaning, "Nevertheless you puppies would do well to control your dirty mouths in the presence of a lady."

"It's two against one asshole. Let's take him, Dave."

"I like these odds; two to one but barely a challenge. Leave now or have at it little puppies. I don't have all day. If you stay I won't be as gentle with you as I was with him," Jim said quietly, pointing to the puddle of pain and vomit on the asphalt.

Glancing briefly over to his left Jim saw Kate standing next to him with a cast iron frying pan in her hand. Kate's eyes were hot green flames of resolute anger and this made Jim smile and love her all the more if that were possible.

"The odds just changed. You're outnumbered."

"Coach," Jeff said getting out of the truck and walking over, "May I help Eric up so we can leave?"

"You may," Jim replied and as Jeff was helping Eric to his feet, "For what it's worth, I'm sorry, Coach."

"I'll take it under advisement. Are you still living at home?"

"Yes."

"Are you working?"

"No, and uh, sorry, Ma'am," he said taking off his red ball cap and looking at Kate; Kate merely nodded.

"Fine, we'll talk in a few weeks. Come by the yard to see me."

"Dog, what the...." Jeff interrupted, "Watch your mouth, Dave. Mr. Brady is giving us a play. If you think you can both take him go for it. I'm not ending up in the emergency room for what started off as a goof........"

Kate took hold of Jim's hand as they left and turned to him as both trucks drove out of sight.

"Katherine that was a courageous thing to do but hardly necessary; nevertheless I'm proud of you."

"Thank you. I know you can handle them, but just in case."

"Well," Jim said squeezing her hand, "I'm glad you went after me with a broom and not a cast iron frying pan. Cold iron is deadly on any of us Sidhe."

"Don't be ridiculous, Petruchio," Kate said, dropping the frying pan to the ground with a thud and putting her arms around his neck for a kiss, "You're a good troll. Good trolls and ogres are immune to cold iron when they have the love of a human woman too melt their hearts and ward the deadly effects."

"Quite right," Jim replied hugging and kissing her, "although it's a potent deterrent when forcefully applied to dastardly redcaps should they attempt to accost us."

"Exactly, even though it was you who scared them off."

"We scared them off; there is an old saying, Kate, when you have the balls firmly in hand the heart and mind is sure to follow."

"You just made that up," Kate said laughing, "Do you think they will be dumb enough to bother us again?"

"No, But I want you to promise me to do as I say when things are really dangerous; do you promise?"

"Yes, Sir," Kate replied putting her head on his shoulder to hear his heart beating, content and feeling very safe at the moment, especially now that she knew the extremes Jim would take to protect her.

Although not a bully and slow to anger, Kate knew that Jim relished a good fist fight. Those boys didn't stand a chance against her man.

She remembered what her Grandpa Jack used to say about tough and confident men like Jim. It was simple and to the point, "No brag, just fact."

This very masculine part of Jim fascinated and aroused the woman in Kate. She was amazed by the way Jim knew exactly what to do to dominate them so easily, thinking, 'I love you Jim Brady, my pugnacious pugilist Petruchio.'

Jim hugged her close enjoying how Kate melted into him. As far as Jim was concerned everything was right with the cosmos, "Thank you, Katherine my love. Shall we get our groceries now?"

"Yes, Sir," Kate said taking his large warm callused hand in her small one for them to walk into the grocery store together.......

Much to Kate's delight Jim took every opportunity to kiss and hug her between juggling oranges and apples all the while being downright playful as they shopped.

Jim stood behind her with his arms around Kate's trim waist blowing on the back of her neck and giving her goose bumps as they waited in the checkout line.

"Would you please behave," she said not meaning it, reaching back to touch his face.

"No ma'am, I'm just getting started."

"You're impossible."

"And you're gorgeous."

"And you're next, "said Martha, the romantic at heart checkout lady in her late-sixties. Martha was smiling and thinking, 'If only to be young again and so much in love.......'

Kate parked the Winnebago across the street from the dairy store and they walked inside for their ice cream cones.

The place was packed as usual however they managed to get the only empty table, a table of four. They sat close together to share their double dip cones, strawberry and chocolate for Kate and maple walnut for Jim.

"Kate, that's Sam and Mira Malone in line."

"I see them. It's a shame there's nowhere for them to sit," Kate commented although not meaning it.

As Kate said it their neighbors moved away from the counter with their hot fudge sundaes and walked in their direction looking for a table.

"Sam, there's two seats over here," Jim announced loudly standing up and waving.

"Jim, I......"

"Please Katherine, let me handle this. I know what I'm doing."

Sam looked at his wife, and Mira gave him a glance that said....'No!'

Sam gave a look in return, 'Enough of this nonsense, Mira. It has gone on long enough. We will be polite and sit with them.'

"Sam," Jim said, shaking Sam's hand followed by Mira's complementing her and meaning it, "Mira, you look as lovely as ever I see."

At five-six Mira has baby blue eyes and a small turned up nose, possessing a clear complexion that any woman would kill for.

Mira also has what many discerning men appreciate; a curvaceous and buxom figure to complement her dark long brown hair styled that day to please her husband in a simple three strand braid that fell to the middle of her back.

Mira was wearing an embroidered green corduroy jumper that came down to her knees. It had floral embroidery trim on the scoop neckline and front pockets. It had an empire waist, etched-metal buttons and side ties. Underneath this classic style of dress was a white silk-pima cotton blouse with ¾ length sleeves.

"Katherine," Mira said politely not accepting Kate's hand as she sat down.

"Mira," Kate replied just as politely, insulted with the obvious snub and very annoyed with Jim at the moment.

"You have a Winnebago in your driveway. Are you going on a trip?" Sam asked

"Yes we are going to visit Katherine's grandmother in Florida."

"No offence, Jim, I never expected you and Katherine winding up together given your past history and the circumstances of her house burning down and all."

"No offence taken. I'm lucky to have her. We have surprised each other how compatible we are; the beauty and the beast," Jim said, laughing, "Katherine is the second blessing of my lifetime, soul mate you might say."

"I see, soul mates, much like Mira and me." They were married for thirty years at that time.

"I see you finished restoring your Roadrunner. That's one machine I'd give a year's pay to own it."

"We'll get to that in a minute. How long have we known each other, Sam?"

"About fifteen years; why do you ask?"

"Would you agree that I mind my own business?"

"Of course; you are a man after my own heart."

"Thank you, back at you. You've been avoiding me these past months, Sam."

"You're right; however I'm not avoiding you now."

"That's because you need a place to sit."

"That's part of it. I'm sure you can guess the rest. Are you and me OK though?"

"Nothing is changed Sam. I'll chalk those months down as being busy"

They shook hands again in unspoken understanding.

"We're both direct men, Sam. Feel free to tell me to go to hell at any time with no animosity in return. You sat with us to be polite."

"You have me there buddy."

Mira shifted in her chair looking uncomfortable at where the conversation was going; Kate's annoyance was bordering on anger.

"I assumed you would want to talk about Mira and Katherine making up when you invited us over. If you do your part I'll do mine."

"Exactly; both of them are stubborn and they were good friends once."

As Jim said this Mira stood up emphatically stating,"I'm leaving."

"Sit down Mira," said Sam, "I want to hear what else Jim has to say," and Mira did, glaring at her husband while Katherine glared at Jim becoming angrier by the second.

"Katherine's case is going to be overturned; she will be found innocent of all charges. Her good name will be restored. You can expect to read about it in the newspapers in about a month.

"What an interesting theory; where does the Roadrunner fit in?"

"No theory, just fact and I have a proposition for you, a bet so to speak."

"I'm still listening, Jim."

"I'll bet the Roadrunner that Katherine is totally innocent and was set up by her ex-husband."

"You spent five years restoring it. What am I putting up against it?"

"I'll bet you Mira's braid against my Roadrunner."

"It sounds like a suckers bet, but I can't pass up those odds. Are you that sure Katherine is innocent?"

"I've heard quite enough!" Mira exclaimed standing up a second time and trying to walk away, hindered by Sam holding the back of her jumper.

"So have I!" Kate exclaimed standing, now angrier than a nest of scorched hornets," If Mira doesn't want to be friends again, well, fine with me."

Kate then enunciated by poking Jim in the chest with her finger, "You and I are going to have it out when we get home, Petruchio."

Jim grabbed Kate and crushed her to him kissing her lips.

"Jim! Stop it...let me go damn you!" she exclaimed struggling to get loose.

Jim kissed Kate's lips again saying, "You're beautiful and sexy as hell when you're angry. Your green eyes look like they're on fire. I love you Kate.

I have another surprise for you. Since we're leaving for Florida tomorrow we'll stop off on the way to see my sister in Kentucky."

"Your sister?"

Jim kissed her lips a third time, "Yes my baby sister. It's about time I introduce my future fiancé to the family. Mary is planning a little barbecue get together."

Kate stopped struggling, "Oh Jim," she said softly, putting her arms around his neck to kiss his lips long and deep, all her anger melting away.

"Well congratulations you two," Sam said slapping Jim hard on the back and meaning it. He then put his arm around Mira's waist and pulled her close.

"This changes' everything now that you have a mare in the race."

Sam tugged on Mira's long thick braid, "Put Katherine's ponytail up as side bet against a wedding present and you have yourself a deal....."

That night after making slow and gentle love on their side facing one another, Kate was cuddled tight against Jim, hugging him as he stroked her hair, enjoying their quiet intimacy.

"Jim?"

"Yes, Kate."

"Did you really get in a high speed chase with the French Police?"

Jim hesitated before answering, "Obviously Tom told you that, and I suppose I had to tell you sometime," he replied sighing.

"He did and he said you love me."

"He's right on both points, beautiful."

"I told Tom we are soul mates and he agreed."

"He and Sally Ann were the same; they often time would finish each others' sentences."

"Tom said you broke the Inspector's nose with you head."

"I didn't have much choice at the time; my hands were handcuffed behind my back."

"Jim?"

"Yes Kate."

"Tom told me everything; he was adamant I should know."

"Everything?"

"No, from your engagement forward until you lost her. Tom said if I wanted to know more, ask you."

"I did what had to be done; otherwise there would have been no justice for Gina."

"I know, Petruchio, no brag just fact."

"What does that mean? Is this like the blond wig thing?" Jim asked kissing her.

"It means I love you for all eternity."

"And I love you. I'll never get tired of saying it."

"Sweetheart?"

"Yes Kate."

"Are you ever afraid?"

"Let me put it this way. There is courage and then there is stupidity, while cowardice is followed closely by panic."

J.M. Barrie said it best in his Rhetorical Address at St. Andrews in May of 1922. "Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes!' However, the short answer is yes."

"As I said," Kate replied, kissing his chest, "no brag just fact."

"Were you afraid when you stood beside me with the frying pan?"

"Maybe just a little."

"There you see; that is courage. Being afraid but doing what has to be done. You're a tough woman Katherine. You lost all your worldly possessions and made due.

You didn't buckle under the pressure, even though what you value above all else is your good name. In the end what else is there my love?

You do what has to be done. You swallowed your pride without losing it and came to work for me. You taught me it's OK to fall in love again...priceless."

"Jim?"

"Yes Kate."

"Will you tell me more about Gina?"

"When we return from Florida; we'll go through the photo albums page by page and photo by photo."

"Jim?"

"My goodness, you're just full of questions tonight," he remarked, pushing her hair behind her ear and kissing her cheek.

"Will you tell me why you and Tom were fighting?"

"We didn't fight, you stopped us. You are the reason we are back together."

"You know what I mean," she replied pinching his ear.

"Ouch, enough with the pinching; perhaps I'll tell you some day; why are you and Mira fighting? At one time you and Mira were inseparable. Life is short Katherine; both Tom and I regret that stupidity."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Fair enough, but I'll do my part in seeing you both make up."

"I'll try to make up after we look over your photo albums."

I give you fair warning, Kate. You brought Tom and me together again and I'll see to it that you make up with Mira; even if I have to spank it out of you."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Try me, Kate."

"Yes, Sir, you would dare. I promise when we return from Florida, however I won't tell you why we are fighting until you tell me about, Gina."Jim reached up and turned off their bedside lamp.

"Thank you. Get some sleep I want to get an early start."

"Kiss me first, Petruchio......."

12