Keeping the Trophy

Story Info
Sometimes a man must defend what is already his.
16.4k words
4.16
185.5k
103
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BDad
BDad
136 Followers

Chapter 1

The biggest wonder was how calm I felt. After the myriad of emotions that had washed through me over the past twenty four hours, the icy calm was soothing to the point of being hypnotic.

My reverie was broken by "Hey buddy, you want another beer?" the bartender here was nothing if not attentive. I had sat here on this same stool for the past hour and a half and was still on my first drink. The bar wasn't making a lot of profit on me tonight.

"Not right now thanks, maybe in a bit." I answered casually as I continued to watch the mirrored reflection of the couple in the back booth of this smoky establishment. It was a bit strange to smell cigarette smoke; apparently the Midwest hadn't as yet been caught up in the frenzy of health concerns that had swept the west coast states. The place was old with a warm homey feel to it and had that lingering smell of smoke, old wood, and stale booze. I guess it would best be described as a neighborhood tavern. A long counter with high stools facing an old ornate back bar lined its entire length with a mirror. And lots of bottles of booze, at least eight or nine different brands for every type of liquor imaginable. An alcoholic's visual delight.

Along the wall opposite the bar were deep booths running from the front to the very back of the place where you could sit if you didn't want to "belly up to the bar" so to speak. The bartender paused in front of me for a moment as if he were about to say something. Catching the hint I continued our stilted conversation "I don't need another drink right now but you can pass me a basket of that popcorn" as I laid another five doller tip down for his troubles. It was very important that he not hassle me about my light drinking habits or suggest I move on. I had the one stool that let me have a clear view in the mirror of the couple now occupying the last booth. That last booth was hard to see into from any other spot in the room and I wasn't about to give up my spot.

All I knew about the male half of the couple was that his name was Will Hart, one year younger than me, and had graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1985. I also knew he was a slick talking asshole and he had a good eye for the ladies. One thing that I knew that he didn't was that his immediate future was about to develop a real dark spot.

Although the lady setting in the booth with him was his age she was still attractive enough to get second and third looks from males 15 to 65 when she passed by. At five feet three inches and one hundred and twenty five pounds she had a better than average shape that hinted at once being spectacular when she was twenty. Now she was showing that somewhat fuller figure that gave "more mature" ladies those rounded out set of curves that made men want to fall face first between inviting soft pillows of flesh and kiss their way to breathable air. Not what you would call beautiful but cute as hell. Dark hair, blue eyes, a small birthmark inside of her left thigh just short of where the soft curly pussy hair started. I knew a great deal about her, I mean after all, we've been married for fifteen years.

She was supposed to be out with girlfriends at her twenty year high school reunion. I was supposed to be fifteen hundred miles away at home. Looks like we both weren't doing what we were supposed to be. When the class reunion thing first came up I had agreed to go with her and she just buzzed with making plans for a "triumphant" return to the old stomping grounds. It wasn't like we didn't return occasionally but since her father had passed on and her mother moved to where we were to be closer to the family, she hadn't had an occasion to return. Consequently she hadn't seen her old friends for six or seven years.

The problem started when I had to tell her that the company I worked for had merged with our main competitor and the uniting process wouldn't be complete by the time of the reunion. This in turn meant that I wouldn't be going with her to the reunion. She went ballistic, and when she finally settled down she became what would best be described as "coolly neutral". Our sex life and everything else of a personal nature definitely went on the back burner. For the next ten days it seemed she was on the phone half the time talking to her old friends back home, planning what they were going to do, what they would wear, who was coming and who wasn't. One thing that seemed odd was when the name "Will" was mentioned she would talk in a much quieter voice and go into another room to finish her conversation. One evening I answered the phone and a man asked for Lyn. When I asked who was calling he replied that his name was Will and that he was an old classmate that would be at the reunion and just wanted to touch bases with her. When I mouthed the name "Will" to her while covering the mouthpiece with my hand she snatched the phone away and moved out of the room and hearing range. There followed a fairly protracted conversation, at the end of which produced a very mellow Lyn. When I had inquired as to whom "Will" was she got defensive and refused to talk about him at all. We wound up in a fight that was to set the mood until she left for the reunion.

I am not by nature the mildest of people so by the time Lyn left for the reunion I was in a really foul mood and beginning to have just the slightest niggles of suspicions. The first night after she left I noticed that she had forgotten to take her yearbook after using it for reference for the past month, reminiscing and trying to remember who was who. I thumbed through it until I found old "Will". He was kind of a pretty boy with dark curly hair. Written over and under his picture was the inscription"Lyn, to the cutest, perkiest girl in the senior class. Remember the Senior FFA hay ride? You still owe me a TROPHY! Best of luck at university; let's see if we can find another hay stack when you come home at Christmas. Always remember your thrill with WILL!" Jesus, were we all so corny when we were that age?

What the fuck was that all about? Owe a trophy? What kind of trophy? What kind of history did Lyn have with this dork?

As I sat thumbing through the rest of the yearbook I felt my apprehension and anger level creep up although I didn't have any particular reason for it except for the insinuating note on Wills picture. Still my "alpha dog" personae continued to grow. Further perusal revealed that he had been a very popular guy, a better than average student and a running back on the varsity football team. All I could think to myself was "Fuck this guy, I was a linebacker in high school and collage and I would rip him a new asshole if I ever saw him". Obviously, continued reading about "Will" didn't improve my mood any.

During this time my work wasn't improving my mood any either, merging two companies into one was a lot easier to do on paper than it was in the real here and now world. Each had its own way of doing everything from timekeeping to processing orders and each side was more than reluctant to give up that which was familiar and comfortable. It was my job to see to it that we became an integrated single company, doing business as one company; all the while carrying on business as usual. My boss had given me only one cryptic instruction when we had begun the process "make this merger appear seamless and invisible to our clients". Easy to say, hard to do, so consequently, thirteen and fourteen hour workdays wheedling and cajoling reluctant employees were the norm. By the end of the day I was frustrated and as pissed off as a man could get.

To add fuel to the fire I called Lyn every night after she left and the one time I had been able to catch her at her girlfriends house where she was staying she had been very abrupt and evasive when I had tried to make conversation about how things were going and how she was doing. The other two nights she was "out with friends" according to the baby sitter taking care of her friends kids and requests to have her call me when she returned produced zero results.

On night four after her departure I received a call at 11:00 in the evening just after I had gotten out of the shower and was sucking down a cold beer, my only source of pleasure for days now. When the phone rang I assumed it was Lyn finally returning my calls

"Hey babe, how's it going?"

A startled sounding male voice on the other end stammered for a moment before answering back "Excuse me, is this Jim Thornton?"

Embarrassed I managed a sheepish reply "I'm sorry, yes it is, can I help you"

"Jim, this is Bob Sims in Riverdale, I'm the husband of Maggie Sims. We met some years back when Lyn and you were visiting."

"Oh yea Bob, sorry I didn't recognize you, how are things going, I hope Lyn staying with you and your wife isn't too big an inconvenience. Has something happened?" I added with the sudden realization that Bob wouldn't be making a social call at this time of night.

"Not exactly, this call is kind of a husband to husband thing. I don't want to pry into you and Lyn's private business but I think you should reconsider coming to Riverdale."

A cold chill ran up my back and a knot formed in my stomach at Bob's words "Why is there something wrong?"

"Not exactly at the moment but I think there is the potential for a problem. Do you know a guy Lyn and Maggie went to school with named Will Hart?"

Our conversation didn't last a whole lot longer but at the end I thanked Bob for his concern and call. Within thirty minute I had booked a flight to Riverdale on the computer and had packed a bag. Unfortunately I wouldn't arrive there until seven thirty tomorrow evening, but hey, sometimes the cover of darkness is a big advantage. When I had finished all the preparations that could be made in the middle of the night I went to bed and tried to sleep. My imagination ran wild through my mind, was Lyn cranking up an aborted romance from twenty years ago? Was I being a jealous ass for not having more trust in her? I had been smitten with Lyn from the very first time we had met and by the second date I knew this was the woman I wanted to share the rest of my life with. Since that time she had been the center of my universe even if I didn't always show it. She had always been loving and caring and I was as wild about her today as I had been at the beginning. I had always thought she felt the same way, in fact, I had never considered that she might feel differently. True over the past few years I had shifted into the "career pursuit" mode and our personal relationship including sex, nights out on the town and just plain being together on a Saturday afternoon had been pushed into the background on autopilot. I had accepted this as the norm for our time and place in life. Maybe she had decided it wasn't for her and had she opted for something more exciting than PTA meetings, soccer games and an occasional movie when I wasn't too tired after work. Initially it made me physically sick to even consider the possibility of her having an affair. Then I got angry that she didn't appreciate the effort I was making to get us all the things we wanted and planned for. When I thought about her being with another man my anger went off the scale, I had always had a bit of a possessive streak but nothing of consequence had ever come from it. Now it had bloomed to full power.

My anger finally settled down to a burning sun-like flame dancing just under the surface of my conscience thought but it still precluded me getting a restful nights sleep. Bad deal, when I don't get good nights sleep I get really grumpy. When I get grumpy I am not a pleasant person to deal with. The only good thing was that Lyn's Mom had come over to take care of the kids while she was gone and so I would just leave early in the morning as if I were going to work. If Lyn should call (unlikely) she wouldn't know I was on my way to Riverdale. I would leave her a note that I had to work a 24 hour shift and would call her later to make sure everything was OK with her and the kids.

I went by work the next morning and told a very unhappy boss that I would be gone for a few days and that if need be he could replace me and I would find a new job when I got back. He wasn't pleased but he didn't fire me either so I guess that was a small victory, I needed all I could get as I had mentally begun to swing back and forth between soul shredding depression and absolute killing rage.

Airplane rides are mostly terminally boring but they do have an upside. They give you a measured period of time in relative isolation to think things through without interruption, allowing you the time and peace to form plans and most importantly, gain control over yourself. By the time I landed in Riverdale I had decided on a specific plan of action, which in turn produced a calmness that I would have thought impossible earlier this morning.

Chapter 2

After we landed and I had rented a car I placed phone call to Bob. He told me that a bunch of them, including my wife and Will, were all together at a place called "Clancys" dancing and having a few drinks. After I found the place I made a quick change of clothing in the parking lot to non-descript jeans, plaid shirt and a baseball cap then made my way unnoticed into "Clancy's Lounge." Looking in the mirror when I walked in I hardly recognized myself and felt that Lyn would have to physically run into me to get close enough to recognize who I was. She hadn't seen me in a plaid shirt more than a couple of times in all the years we had been married and definitely had never seen me with a baseball cap on. I never wore caps or hats as someone had told me once when I was young that they made you go bald and I had developed a real mental aversion to wearing anything on my head. I had never really enjoyed having a football helmet on but forced myself to deal with it as I played football in both high school and the small state collage where I met Lyn. Being blond didn't help the ongoing illusion that I was losing my hair either.

When I first arrived the place was doing a passable business as apparently there were multiple years of class reunions going on in Riverdale and a range of people from mid twenties through early sixties filled the place to about 60% capacity. I learned from the bartender that Clancy's was a very old establishment and was frequented mostly by the locals or in this case, folks who had once lived here and returned for one occasion or another. Class reunions were a pretty good business during a few weeks each summer and this summer was no exception. They had an old fashioned juke box and small dance floor in the back where the different generations could be distinguished from each other as much by the tunes they played and danced to as by their appearance. When I first spied my wife and Will they were sitting in the back booth with two other couples, all in one booth with one couple on each side and Lyn and Will being the odd ones out sitting across from each other.

For the first hour I was there the six of them drank and danced and in general just socialized like you would expect old friends to do that hadn't seen each other for a long time. I recognized one of the couples as Bob and Maggie, the folks Lyn was staying with but I didn't recognize the others. Bob would occasionally look around the room as if he were expecting something to happen but even when he looked directly at me there was no hint of recognition. That was probably a good thing as I didn't want Lyn to know I was there just yet and I don't know how good an actor Bob might be if he spotted me.

Around ten the crowd started really thinning out and I assumed my perch of choice with my back to the booth they were in. At this time the two couples got up, obviously excusing themselves for the evening. Bob said something to Lyn that appeared to be about getting a ride home and she and Will both indicated that he would give her a ride home later as they were going to stay a while longer. So here I was still nursing my first beer and eating the third or fourth basket of popcorn since I had arrived.

At first they remained seated across the table from each other and sipped on their drinks and talked. As time went on it was obvious through gestures and body language the conversation was getting more serious. Will had reached across the table and was softly rubbing the back of Lyn's hand and forearm with one finger while he was making some important point or another, to which she would occasionally node her head no or answer in a quiet single word. Shit I wished I could hear what they were saying! I wasn't sure exactly what the words were but I have been around enough to recognize a cunt hound trying to ensnare his prey for the evening. My flame of anger flared brighter, still, nothing had really happened so far and I was content to be patient and see what developed. If this was all there was to it I would call Lyn later in the evening on her cell phone and say we had finished the project and I would be in Riverdale tomorrow to be with her for the rest of the reunion activities. That way I would demonstrate that I really did want to be with her and she wouldn't know I was there spying and get pissed all over again. I was starting to relax and feel better about the situation, it didn't appear that she was going to forget she was married with a husband and two kids back home and I wasn't going to have to kick old Wills ass.

My optimism was shot lived as he suddenly got up and came to the bar right next to me and ordered another round of drinks from Mike the bartender for the two of them. I noted that he was drinking beer but Lyn was drinking Gin and tonic, a bad sign as that was her drink of choice back home when we were out and planning on a bout of "robust" sex when we got home. While Will stood there next to me I kind of hunkered down in case Lyn was looking over towards us, it would be lousy timing to get discovered now. He casually glanced at me and remarked "You from around here?"

"No, I'm from the west coast, just checking up on a family problem. You from here?"

"Not anymore, I graduated from high school and am back for my twenty year class reunion. First time I've been back since I graduated."

"Having fun?"

"Not much so far but I have a feeling that's about to change" he replied with a decided smirk.

About that time Mike brought his drinks and he returned to the booth but instead of returning to his original seat he slide into the booth next to Lyn. Between his comment and this new seating arrangement my mood grew blacker.

Looking up I called out to the bartender "Hey Mike, give me another Bass."

He grinned like he had won some prize "Sure thing" then came over a set the brew in front of me. I slipped him ten bucks this time, I was going to need Mike on my side in a little while and like all service folks in these kinds of establishments they followed the money.

Meanwhile shithead had lead Lyn over to the jukebox and was pumping in quarters while she selected the songs. As they stood there they held hands like a high school couple going steady. They danced to several fast numbers then a slow romantic tune came on and they clasped together and slowly kind of swayed around on the far corner of the dance floor. Soon Lyn had her arms around Wills neck and he had both of his hands at the top of her ass. By the end of the song he had worked down to cupping her ass cheeks with both hands, using them to pull her crotch up tight against his. Another slow tune started and she appeared to try push away from him a couple of times but he was persistent and she gave up any pretext of protest after a few minutes. They whispered to each other occasionally but mostly didn't talk, Lyn kept her face snuggled up against his chest and he had his buried in her hair as they slowly danced around the floor.

BDad
BDad
136 Followers