Lady Hideaway Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Blulady
Blulady
626 Followers

He left the truck, dripping with sweat now, and not only from the heat. He made his way back to the house and knocked. He wasn't surprised that no one answered, and so he hurried inside, grabbed his wallet, and was about to leave again when he realized that he couldn't leave things the way they were. He began to clean up, closing the bucket of paint and taking the time to wash the brushes and rollers.

He knelt down to pick up the old newspapers lining the floors beneath the walls when he noticed he wasn't alone again, this time looking twice and standing cautiously as he spotted Tessa Aarons standing in the sloped entryway. This time he made sure not to make any sudden movements; after all, she had jumped even as he noticed her.

She looked different now, mildly more composed. She had put on a pair of jeans that gently hugged her longish legs and curvy hips, she wasn't pudgy after all, but she still wore the unflattering baggy sweatshirt. She had tied her hair up, giving Conner the impression that she was attempting to look more presentable. But it didn't seem to matter what she was wearing, her innocent face was attractive either way.

"I'm just packing up." He said, "If you want I can leave a recommendation for someone who can finish this up for you."

Tessa cleared her throat, trying not to choke on her own soft voice as it came out. She spoke quietly, and was nearly difficult to hear.

"Mr. Desway." She said.

"Conner, please." He insisted.

She gave a small nod but couldn't meet his eyes as she continued, she had gone from looking utterly panicked to simply afraid and troubled.

"I'm sorry." Tessa said, "I guess you startled me, I didn't mean to... please, continue with you're work. I like the way it's looking."

Conner smiled again. It wasn't the best compliment, but it was still a compliment.

There was something about his smile that seemed warm to Tessa. Although she didn't feel entirely comfortable, she felt oddly safe. She never felt safe, especially with a stranger.

"Good." He nodded, glancing at his watch, "But it's almost two o'clock. I'll finish up and be back tomorrow... I should be done within the week."

"Do you have another appointment?" Tessa asked, surprised with herself that she was making conversation at all.

"No, but Dr. Formike mentioned that you need me out of here by two o'clock."

"Oh, um, that's not necessary. I mean, if it helps I don't mind if you need to stay..."

"Really? That would be great." Conner smiled, "With a few extra hours a day I can have it finished in no time."

Conner was suddenly back to his confident, outgoing self again, even if she was still jumpy. He was just relieved that he wouldn't have to quit this job. Despite first impressions, he thought Tessa Aarons was actually pretty nice.

"Alright." She nodded.

Conner's glance suddenly fell over the spilled juice and broken glass on the ground, that Tessa had not yet cleaned up. She seemed to notice the mess the same time he did, and they had both moved to clean it up, keeping a careful distance. She did not object when he lifted a towel to soak up the juice, and when he saw her reach for a piece of glass he quickly reached for it first. The movement startled her, but he decided it was for the best, not trusting her shaky hands against the sharp glass.

"Let me." He insisted, keeping his smile friendly.

"Thanks." She said quietly.

Conner dropped the towel as he picked up the pieces of glass, and she retrieved it to clean up the juice. There was a gap between them, she was not at all crowding Conner's personal space, but obviously he was too close for her comfort, even if they could fit two people between them. She kept her gaze low but her eyes still on him, as if she were waiting for him to attack and she wanted to be ready for it.

He was curious about her again. He wanted to ask what she was so afraid of, what was wrong with her, but there was no way to ask without sounding rude. The silence was awkward, and if there was one thing Conner couldn't stand was that. He never liked such a dreary silence.

"So you've been the one moving around upstairs?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

Tessa nodded.

"Yea. I work up there." Tessa was surprised with herself again, giving more information than he had asked for.

"Really, what do you do?" He asked.

"I'm an accountant." She replied, "I work online."

Conner let out a chuckle, startling her to look up with confusion in her bright eyes.

"Sorry." He sighed, "You just don't look like an accountant to me. Mine is fat, loud, and I'm pretty sure I'm paying him more than he's worth."

"Oh."

Conner sensed her withdrawal again. He could have let her slip back into silence, he could force himself to tolerate the awkwardness, but it just wasn't him.

"I hope you don't mind me leaving all the paint crap here overnight." He said, "It's just easier to get a good start when it's already set up."

"I don't mind." She replied.

With the mess cleaned up Tessa brought the rag to the sink and ran water over it to clean the sticky substance off. She saw Conner drop the broken glass into the garbage. He really did seem nice enough, and Dr. Formark would not have recommended him if he couldn't be trusted. She wanted to relax, but just couldn't bring herself to do it. She needed to get away.

"Stay as long as you need to." She managed, "I have to go."

"Thanks." Conner smiled.

He was almost disappointed to see her go. He had wanted to know more about her, but he decided that would never happen anyways. Besides, he had work to do. With being able to stay longer, he was able to get quite a bit done before he called it a day. He even could have stayed longer than he had, but he was constantly hearing the creaks from upstairs and thought maybe Tessa Aarons was becoming restless, so he left earlier to get out of her way, and just like every day, he heard her locking the door after he was gone.

.........

Tessa heard the sound of a lawn mower as she sat in front of her office computer. She curiously slid on her chair, letting it roll to the narrow window where she drew back the curtain and peeked outside. She didn't often look outside. The bright sun usually frightened her, she often felt like she was being attacked by it. But today she looked.

Outside she saw Conner pushing a mower across her yellowish lawn. Apparently he was filling in for Dr. Formike again. The sight of him in his task brought Tessa to look out the window longer than she usually would have. Conner was much more interesting to watch than anyone else who had ever mowed her lawn. Tessa even caught herself staring, but she couldn't bring herself to stop.

Conner was definitely handsome, more so than most, and the only men she had set eyes on in a long while were the actors she saw on television. She wondered if her lack of contact with the outside world was why she was so taken with him, but then again he was as easy to look at as any man on T.V. His white shirt was off and hanging from the back pocket of his jeans, and the defined image of his torso was displayed. The heavy work belt around his waist pulled at his pants, dropping the jeans enough to bring his tan line into view.

Tessa realized she wasn't the only one looking; neighboring women were out staring as well. She dropped the blind and looked at the clock. Nine o'clock. In another hour Conner would be painting again.

Tessa felt nervous. She had every day, knowing a stranger was in her house, but now even more so. She had dressed in another pair of jeans again, and yet another baggy sweater. She usually wore all sweats, comfortable in them more than anything, but not today. She had braided her hair and had even put a gloss on her lips to make them shiny; the only form of makeup she ever wore. She didn't know why she had bothered; she wouldn't go downstairs, not until he was gone. It had occurred to Tessa that she was trying to look more presentable for Conner, a thought that distracted her from her work.

A few hours later she was opening a can of tomato juice from the mini fridge she kept in her office. She could hear movement downstairs. He was probably moving furniture again, which meant he was moving on to the living room. She knew he would be finished soon, and part of her was glad about it, but there was another part that was growing accustomed to the sounds in her usually silent home, and the constant whistling between the hours of ten and twelve.

Every day, for two hours there was constant whistling. It almost made her laugh. She wondered if he knew he did it. It was no particular tune, at least not one she recognized, but she enjoyed listening anyways.

Tessa wasn't sure what brought her down the stairs that afternoon, but the moment she reached the bottom and saw Conner brushing a roller over the living room wall her stomach turned and she thought she should run upstairs and hide again, but it was too late.

Conner spotted her, and trying not to look too surprised to see her, he smiled as she lifted her gaze to him. She noticed he was covered in paint again, more than before, and the windows were open, airing out the house. She never opened the windows. She knew he had opened them before in the bedrooms, but she had not actually been present for that. Something about an opened window was frightening. At least he left the curtains closed.

"Good afternoon Ms. Aarons." Conner smiled, "I hope I'm not disturbing you."

Tessa shook her head.

"No, I was just... just..." She had no idea what she was 'just' doing.

Conner checked his watch before he smiled at her again.

"Did you need me out of here early again?" He asked, trying to help her get whatever she was trying to say out.

"No." Tessa replied, "It just, it looks good."

"I'm glad you think so." He replied, "And don't worry, I'll put your living room back together when I'm finished up for the day."

"There's no hurry, I don't really use it."

"Never?" He asked, she couldn't possibly spend all her time hiding away upstairs, could she?

"I work a lot." She stated, decided to go to the kitchen in an attempt to look as if she had come down for a reason. "Would you like something to drink Mr. Desway? I have lemonade."

"That would be great." He grinned, noticing she had called him Mr. Desway again, no one did that, he wasn't sure he even liked it.

Tessa felt a little thrown as he followed her to the kitchen; she had not expected him to follow her, but she kept going anyways and felt him behind her as she retrieved the pitcher of lemonade from the refrigerator and then two glasses.

"So if you never use the living room why have it painted?" He asked

"It was Dr. Formike's idea." She responded.

"Do you always take advice from your dentist, I mean, is he a friend of yours or something?" Conner had been curious over the matter, and he had no problem taking advantage of the opportunity to ask about it, but the answer surprised him.

"He's my father." Tessa replied, "Well, my step father."

She placed Conner's glass at the edge of the table, not able to actually hand it to him.

"Thank you." He smiled, entirely grateful for the cold drink.

Tessa sipped hers and as they stood across from each other the awkward silence returned, but this time Conner was surprised when she was the one who broke it.

"How long have you been a painter Mr. Desway?"

"Conner, please." He reminded her.

"Conner." She repeated softly.

"I'm not a painter, I mean, I take jobs like this, but I have a pool business... actually when I was mowing your lawn I noticed you have a pool in the back, if you want I can clean it up for you."

Conner had wanted to make the offer. He had noticed the pool and it was entirely run down, the water was murky and he imagined that no one had taken a swim in it for years.

"I don't use the pool." She replied.

"Alright, well, if you change your mind it's no problem." He insisted.

Conner quickly finished his drink and placed the glass on the counter.

"I should get back." He smiled, "If I keep taking breaks I'll never finish, and I'm sure you want your house put back together."

Tessa gave a small nod and he went back to the living room to continue with his work. He was surprised again when he heard her voice behind him.

"Mr. Desway... Conner, would you..."

She stopped when he turned again and gave her his friendly smile.

"Can I help?" She asked, not at all knowing what had gotten into her.

"Help?" He repeated.

"Paint." She explained, "I don't have anymore work to do, and if I won't be in your way..."

"Sure." He said, somewhat nervously, this was also a first. "But I don't know that I'd feel right about it, I mean you're paying me for a job Ms. Aarons."

"I don't mind." She stated, "I'd like to help."

Conner reluctantly nodded and pointed to the paint he had placed in the corner. He didn't know how to say no to her request, so all he could do was humor her. He was about to show her how to use the rollers but she lifted a brush and started painting on another wall, with no need for assistance.

They were silent after that, and the silence wasn't entirely awkward anymore. Conner caught himself working slower than usual, as if to match her pace. He sort of liked her silent company. He had started to whistle again without realizing it until he heard a second tune and glanced back. Tessa had started to whistle along with him and they both noticed it at the same time. He saw her pale face blush and she quickly turned away as he smiled at her. He was going to say something but his cell phone began to ring, a sound that made Tessa jump.

"Excuse me," Conner smiled, and then answered his phone, "Conner Desway... Now? No, it's just that... all right, try to calm Mrs. Grady down and I'll be there as soon as I can."

Tessa listened but continued to paint until Conner hung up.

"Sorry," Conner sighed, "I'm going to have to quit for the day Ms. Aarons."

"Sure." She nodded, "Is everything alright?"

"Yea, it's just another customer, she asked us to drain her pool last week because she was afraid her new puppy might drown, but she doesn't always remember things, and well, she was sort of surprised when she tried to take a swim in an empty pool."

Tessa felt herself giggle and quickly covered her mouth. She didn't laugh very often, in fact she didn't know what she had found to be funny and immediately felt foolish, but Conner just smiled at her, finding her laughter pleasant.

"I'll start cleaning up." He insisted.

"You can leave it." Tessa stated, still feeling foolish, "Please, go help your customer."

"Are you sure?"

Tessa nodded.

"Thanks." He grinned, "I'll make it up to you, really." He continued to talk as he gathered what he could, not paying attention to the way Tessa made circles around him, constantly keeping her comfortable distance. "I never do this, it's just that Mrs. Grady is a friend of my mothers... do you mind if I come by about an hour earlier tomorrow? I can make up the work then."

He had looked at her so suddenly from what he was doing that all she could do was nod. She had managed to keep her eyes from his practically all day. She still had no idea what she had been doing associating with him in the first place, but even silently helping him put paint on the walls had felt good to her. Now that he was looking her head-on she felt fright swelling in her chest again. His smile was so kind, so attractive. It was difficult to think she could be so attracted to anyone, especially someone she didn't even know. It occurred to her that he was the only one she had had in her home in years; at least, he was the only one who wasn't somehow related to her, and that also felt nice.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled as he went to the door, Tessa kept her distance from that door, she would let him close it. "Or maybe I won't see you." He added, "But I think the job should be finished soon... think about what I said about the pool Ms. Aarons, it really wouldn't be a problem."

Tessa nodded again before he gave a last wave and closed the door. She waited a few seconds before she ran to the door and quickly secured the locks. She felt winded all of a sudden, maybe faint, and then she noticed he had left the windows open and her fear turned to panic as she quickly began to slam the windows shut, moving through the thick curtains to do it.

She heard the truck leaving as she reached the last window and reached to close it, but as soon as she held the curtain back to do so a bird landed abruptly on the windowsill and she lunged back. It wasn't that Tessa disliked birds, but she did dislike anything that could surprise her like that. She quickly gathered enough courage to slam the window shut and she ran upstairs to the safety of her bedroom.

Tessa took the time to change from her paint stained clothes and take a shower, and when she was finished she spent the rest of the afternoon working in her office. The truth was she had had plenty of work to do but had been unable to concentrate on it. She had wandered downstairs, wanting to get a glimpse of the man working in her house, only it had never came to mind that he would have spotted her. The next thing she knew she was offering to help him, wanting to spend more time in his company. Tessa wondered what was wrong with her, but the voice in her head told her that everything she felt was wrong was completely natural.

But Tessa knew she wasn't normal. She decided that when Conner came early the next day, she would make sure the deadbolts were unlocked, but she would not go downstairs. She would let him finish the job he had been hired to do and once Dr. Formike was back, she would never see Conner again. It was for the best, besides, she was used to being alone, spending one afternoon in silence alongside a man, friendly or not, was nothing to dwell on.

Tessa was dwelling on it. She had unlocked the door early the next morning, so all he had to do was use his key. Instead of getting her work done she was pacing in her office, listening to the sounds as Conner moved through her house working. He had been whistling again, and it had made her smile. But she did not go down the stairs; she hadn't worked up the courage yet. She wondered if she ever would.

After a few hours she was finally able to sit down and do some work, and she let business flood her mind until the sounds below sounded familiar and normal to her, but then the sounds stopped. She looked up from her desk blankly and saw the clock. Five o'clock already? There was suddenly a knot in her stomach as she stared at the beige wall of her office. She felt frozen but her mind was racing. She knew Conner would be finished today, he would be finished and he would be gone. She suddenly felt overwhelmed with emotion. She didn't want him to be finished, she didn't want the muffled sounds in her house to go away. This was nothing she had experienced before, and for a moment she realized just how lonely she had been.

Strange. She had never felt lonely before, well maybe just a little, but for the last six years she had been very content in her seclusion. At least she thought she had been, but not now, now she was staring at the wall thinking if there was only a way the stranger could stay a little longer... the wall...

Tessa suddenly got up and ran to the door, struggling to unlock it; she had locks for every door. The moment she managed to move into the hall she heard the door downstairs as it closed, and for a moment she paused. Was he gone? She felt her heart sink as she slowly made her way down the stairs to lock the door, but at the end of stairs she stopped and tried to take in what she saw.

Her living room was finished, the furniture perfectly in its place, and the white paint on the walls and ceiling seemed to open up the room. But that wasn't all; there were patterns of flowers circling the room that matched the paintings she kept. She continued to stare, trying to figure out how he had done it, stencils, she ultimately decided. It really did look beautiful to her.

Blulady
Blulady
626 Followers