Lariats and Lacrosse Sticks Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They were working at a frantic pace, and both men were reaching their endurance limits by the time they reached the final tier of bales. The last of the hay had to go in a narrow part of the barn and only one person could stack at a time. Recognizing that Tanner had more experience, Randy had taken to bringing the bales to Tanner, who snagged them with his hay hooks and threw them overhead into the shrinking opening.

Randy walked up with a bale in each hand and stood watching as Tanner tossed another bale onto the stack. But Tanner was precariously situated on the tiered hay four or five rows from the floor, and this time his footing slipped under the weight. His body pitched backward as he let out a surprised oath, and fell squarely on top of Randy. The two of them quickly became a pile of sweaty and hay covered bodies that were completely entangled. As Tanner worked to extract himself without further injury, he noticed that Randy was shaking under him.

"Shit! You ok?" said Tanner.

"Yeah, just so glad we're graceful," said Randy, his body shaking with laughter.

Tanner chuckled as he tried again to untangle himself, but their sweat-covered bodies were as slick as if they were oiled. Neither could get a grip and each time they tried, their hand would slide and they would fall back together. After a few more tries Tanner managed to roll onto the floor. Snickering, he sat up and smiled at Randy, "Well looks like I'm the graceful one. Sorry about the crash, I just lost my footing."

Randy made a dismissive motion as he levered himself from the ground; both men recognizing they were running out of time and redoubled their efforts to finish before the storm hit. As the final few bales were put in place, there was little conversation as both men recalled the sensation of the others touch. As the last bale slid into place, Tanner turned and smiled, "Let's get something to drink. I'm dyin' of thirst."

"A Coke?" asked Randy with a smile.

Tanner chuckled, "Yeah, I think we have root beer and Dr. Pepper."

Randy laughed and rested his arm on Tanner's shoulder in a very companionable way as they walked into the house. Had anyone seen Tanner's face while they were walking back to the house, they would have immediately known the familiar touch was more than welcome.

<><><><>

The pair had put in several long, hard days at the ranch, but they'd finished the work that needed to be done, so they were back at the university trying to find an apartment. They'd been searching the online listings from the ranch and had narrowed it down to three prospects. They knew they needed to get the lease signed soon, or there wouldn't be anything available. Luck seemed against them though, while the first two places on their list were nice enough, they were far over Randy and Tanner's price range. After the second apartment on their list had been a no go, Tanner had decided it was time for a break, and wheeled them into the drive-in for some lunch. While eating their meal, they began to discuss the last place on their list.

"It sounds like it's a lot smaller than the first two, basically an efficiency," said Randy as he looked over the listing.

"The address is 301 and a half, any address I've ever seen with a half in it is up over a garage," said Tanner around his burger.

"Yeah, but it's close to campus, so we could walk instead of trying to find parking. Not having to shell out the hundred bucks for a parking permit will save us some cash. I guess we'll just have to see what it looks like."

Tanner nodded in agreement as he popped the last of his burger into his mouth. A short time later, they were slowly cruising the street listed, trying to find the address. Eventually they found 301 and glancing around the typical middle class neighborhood, they decided Tanner was probably right, it was a garage apartment. The pair walked up to the door and knocked, wondering what the apartment was going to be like. Quickly, a small woman who could only be called elfish answered the door and beamed up at the two.

"Afternoon, boys. Can I help you?"

"Yes ma'am, you had an apartment for rent?" said Randy.

"Oh, yes, yes. Heavens we do. Let me get my husband." Turning, she partially closed the door and scurried through the house. In only a few moments she returned with an older man who was almost her twin. From the snow white hair, to the full, carefully trimmed beard, and finally to his diminutive size, he was a garden gnome. Tanner started to snicker slightly, but was silenced when Randy jabbed his elbow into his ribs.

"Hi boys, interested in the apartment are ya? Well let's go take a look, yes indeed you just need to see it. By the way, I'm Fred, Fred MacIntosh," Fred motioned back over his shoulder, "And that's my wife Jenny. Well come on, let's take a look."

The boys followed the remarkably swift older man and even Randy had to smile at how much the older couple looked like the workers from Santa's workshop. It took only a few seconds for them to round the house and confirm their suspicions; it was a garage apartment. A short flight of stairs up the side of the garage and Fred was opening the door for them. They were surprised as the door swung open, the interior was amazing, nothing like they expected. After meeting Fred and his wife, both boys had expected a very old fashion look to the apartment, but it was actually very contemporary. As they walked across the light colored hardwood floors, Fred gave them an exhaustive tour, explaining and demonstrating every amenity the tiny apartment contained. There was an amazing amount of storage, which Fred explained as being taken from traditional shipbuilding. Randy glanced at Tanner and got an emphatic nod, turning he smiled at Fred.

"We'll take it. It's perfect," said Randy.

"Wonderful, wonderful! Well, it's small, might be kind of tight for you two big strapping boys," said Fred. Turning to the pair, he studied them for a few moments then continued, "You a couple? It would be a great place for a couple."

"No, I'm not gay!" said Randy, followed quickly by Tanner's agreement that he was straight.

"Pity, mores a pity. You're a handsome couple," said Fred with a frown, but he quickly changed topics, "Let's go take care of the paperwork. Don't want to forget that, Jenny would be so upset. She likes you boys, oh my yes."

Randy followed quietly, not pleased that he had shot off a denial so quickly. He felt diminished by his unwillingness to tell the truth about his sexuality. It was complicated he told himself, but this time the rationalization didn't help. Randy promised himself that this was the last time; he wasn't willing to continue living his life as a lie.

Tanner trailed behind Randy, feeling like he'd been sucker punched. He had a hollow empty feeling resulting from his denial. He'd froze. He just wasn't ready. He had barely accepted the reality of his sexuality to himself; he was only 18 for god's sake. He just wasn't ready. And he didn't want to lose his friend, because after Randy's adamant statement that he wasn't Tanner's partner, there was no doubt in Tanner's mind that his roommate was 100% straight.

<><><><>

Randy had been home for several weeks, but he had not been able to put what had happened during the search for an apartment out of his mind. It had eaten at him that he'd lied. He'd never had to lie about it before, no one had ever asked. He'd been mulling it over and over in his head and came to the conclusion that he didn't have to be in your face about it, but it was important to him that he not lie about it, especially to those people close to him. He'd like to think that he was a good enough judge of character that it wouldn't matter to his friends, and if it did then they weren't the kind of people he wanted to be around.

For the last several days he'd known what he needed to do, he had to tell his Dad that he was gay. The decision was a relief, but he wasn't sure how his Dad was going to take it when he told him his lacrosse playing, masculine, only son was gay. He'd spent hours running it through his head, trying different ways to say it. Practicing the exact phrasing. He was worried; this was going to be a life-changing event for him. As he contemplated his decision yet again, he absently ran his spoon through his breakfast cereal.

"You ready to talk to me about whatever's worrying you?" asked Randy's Dad.

Randy snapped his head up and started to deny that there was a problem. But with a sigh, he realized this was as good a time as any.

"Yeah, I guess I am. I need to tell you something, and it's really hard to say so let me get through it," said Randy. He watched as his Dad nodded and then continued, "Dad, I'm gay, I've always been gay. It's not something I can change, it's like you being left handed. It's not the way the majority of people are, but it's normal for you. It doesn't change anything, I hope you still love me and understand, but I can't keep living a lie, I—"

Randy's Dad stopped him with a hand motion, "Son, I'll always love you, and I'll support you 100%. Actually, I kinda wondered if you might be gay. I mean you never have dated a girl for very long, but you've been going on and on about your friend Tanner. It sounds like you have a crush on him. But I'm behind you all the way, son."

Randy jumped up and wrapped his arms around his dad and gave him a crushing hug. "Oh god, Dad. Thank you! I've been so worried. Whew, I feel amazing now, just amazing!"

Randy's Dad grabbed his son behind the neck and pulled their foreheads together and smiled, "Son, you are an amazing man, and someone is going to be lucky to catch you. If it's Tanner or someone else."

"Oh Dad, Tanner is amazing, and so cute. His butt is --," said Randy with a grin.

"Ok now. I support you, but I don't want details of your sex life. You can leave me out of that discussion and I'll be just fine," said Randy's Dad with a chuckle.

Randy laughed and sat back down, digging into his breakfast and glad the first hurtle was over.

<><><><>

"What are you pouting about?" said Jo.

Tanner turned to look at his sister and thought there were definitely times when she was Jo and not Josephine. Right now the expression on her face wouldn't have looked out of place for a Teamster union boss, and Tanner knew not to mess with her in that mood.

"Nothing, just think'n," said Tanner.

"Bullcrap, you've been moping around since Randy left. When are you going to admit that you have a crush on him and miss him?"

"Crush on Randy? Jo, he's a guy. I don't --"

Their eyes locked, and Tanner knew his sister wasn't just spouting off random comments, she knew. He wasn't sure what gave him away, but she was right and he was tired of hiding.

"Yeah, I would love to be with Randy. But Jo, he's straight. So it's never gonna happen," said Tanner sadly.

Jo started laughing at her brother, he was surprised at her reaction to his misfortune of falling for a straight guy. Usually she was very supportive and sympathetic, but not this time. "Hey Sis, that's kinda mean don't ya think?"

"Brother, you are a typical man, dense as a rock. It's good to see that even gay guys are still typical. How could you have missed it? Randy has the hots for you, Tanner. Your dream guy drooled over you every time he thought you wouldn't notice."

Tanner stood there, his mouth hanging open, in complete shock.