Leader of the Pack Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
secretme
secretme
3,478 Followers

Meredith's eyes virtually bulged out of her head. "Have you no respect for Lord Arnauk? You've no right to use his name."

Aislinn looked over at Rissa, who was wincing a bit and looking at her as though Meredith was right. But Rissa was keeping her mouth shut on this one. "Well," Aislinn said, "he told me to use his name. What? You slept with him and you never earned the privilege?"

Rissa leaned in conspiratorially. "You didn't tell me you could use his name."

Aislinn shrugged. "What's the big deal?"

"No one but a few of the elders get to call Lord Arnauk anything other than Lord Arnauk or General. He's the alpha Aislinn," she said as if Aislinn had missed something very important about the word alpha.

"Okay, but I'm new at this. I don't get all the rules here. I just do what he told me to do. He's never once told me to not call him Cullen. And frankly if I slept with someone," she added looking at Meredith incredulously, "and he didn't let me use his first name, I wouldn't be continuing to sleep with him, whatever he was."

Meredith couldn't take the condescending tone any longer. "That's enough. If you don't adjust your attitude then the little bit of his scent that still clings to you won't be enough to keep me from teaching you a lesson about pack etiquette."

Aislinn shook her head. "You don't intimidate me. Either do what you think you want to do or go away."

At that Meredith began growling. Aislinn just continued to glare at her sharply. With no warning Meredith shifted into her hybrid form, and then leaped at Aislinn where she sat. Aislinn only had a second to contemplate the change she saw with fascination before the woman was on top of her. Rissa barely managed to get out of the way as Meredith grabbed hold of Aislinn on the couch. The force of the attack caused the couch to vault backward and both women went rolling to the floor. A circle cleared around them in the room. Great, Aislinn thought, Cullen tells me to avoid fighting and the first thing I do is get into a fight. With that thought in mind Aislinn used the momentum from the roll off the couch to continue the roll until she was on top of Meredith. The shocked lycan pushed Aislinn off and then got to her feet and turned to continue the attack. Aislinn was on her feet as well and faster than any of the people in the room expected launched her own attack. Meredith was thrown completely off guard as the smaller woman began a volley of punches and kicks that quickly had her backed against the wall. Before Meredith could get her mind back in the situation Aislinn managed a punch to her face that had blood pouring from the lycan's nose. If Meredith hadn't changed into her hybrid form the blow probably would have broken her nose. Meredith was blinded by the pain and let out a growl that caused the onlookers to step back. She started flailing at any shape she could identify. Aislinn dodged each swipe as though she was bored with it. She had figured that a lycan would be faster than this. She led Meredith around the room ducking out of the way of each clawing attack and taunting the woman as they went. The room of people had fallen into deadly silence. They couldn't believe that this outsider was making such a fool of one of their betas.

Finally Aislinn grew tired of playing with Meredith. She grabbed Meredith's arm as the woman tried to claw at her again and flipped her so that she landed face first on the floor. In a blur of movements Aislinn had the woman pinned. Meredith growled furiously. Aislinn was impossibly strong and the angle at which she was holding Meredith's arm left the woman incapable of getting any leverage to change the situation. Not to mention it sent shooting pain up the woman's back and felt as though Aislinn was about to rip it off. "You shoulllldn't be abllle to do thiiis," Meredith hissed through clenched teeth in a guttural voice that shouldn't have come from her throat as she struggled to get control of the situation.

Aislinn's voice had a deadly quality to it. "Don't make assumptions about things you know nothing about. I suggest that you submit to the superior fighter here."

***

Cullen took his place at the head of the table. Nearly all of the pack elders were present. The few that weren't there were still at the reservation cleaning up after the failed mating ceremony. "Alright Terrick, you were saying?"

"I was merely voicing a concern about why no one bothered to look into Jenna's supposed disappearance. It just seems strange to me that she would vanish into thin air. All of you seem to think that there was nothing wrong with that." When Terrick said that there were concerned looks exchanged around the table. It was as though something in their minds clicked all at once and they realized that they should have arranged a search party or something. As Terrick continued an uneasy silence enveloped everyone. "Not to mention the insane way you came up with the idea that you were going to be attacked and then there was no attack." Cullen glared at him for the way he phrased that part. But he didn't interrupt the man's tirade. Terrick was making valid points. And one of the things that kept Cullen in charge was his willingness to listen when other alphas might not. " And I heard that Jenna was stopped from killing you because several people had dreams that warned them it was going to happen? Are we going to get a real explanation?" The people in the room were looking at each other with concern. They all agreed with Terrick. But what was worse was that most of them had been there and they had seen Jenna vanish and none of them had been bothered by it. Why didn't they go looking for her? "Why don't I start from the beginning and maybe by the end some of the questions you're asking will be answered," Cullen replied calmly and then launched into a rendition of the story starting with the night that Keith had brought him the information about the Circle being behind the raids, including some of the information about Aislinn, and ending with the ceremony. "I can only guess that this Rafe person had something to do with why none of us cared that Jenna disappeared. According to Aislinn he was standing there watching us all and no one questioned his presence or the presence of his men and they were there as well. Aislinn said that distance from Rafe has a lessening affect on his abilities. I for one am feeling it necessary to question not only my own actions that night but things that I observed on the way in that were unusual as well. Now that you've mentioned those questions you brought up, Terrick, and I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to remember strange greenish bonfires. I'd say that the bonfires may have had something to do with it as well. Right now I have quite a few questions that still need answers. So I can't do more than tell you all what I have and attempt to arrange for additional solutions. Aislinn was only able to shed some light. But she is for the most part ignorant of the finer details. Rafe seems to want something. She thinks it has to do with our standing stones. We've owned that property since I came to leadership and our possession of it was never questioned. I always believed them to be an attractive landmark and a reminder of our past. But it seems there may be more to it than that. We're going to have to look into quite a few things to get the rest of the answers we seek. But I believe the worst threat is the possibility of traitors amongst our own number and the now imminent threat posed by the Tairneach."

Terrick growled his annoyance. "Don't you think it would have been better to turn the bastard down when he first started all this coach as opposed to waiting until the girl was beneath you to deal with the fact that you preferred this random human you picked up at some bar?" Cullen had to use every ounce of control he had to keep from launching across the table at Terrick. He had known that the subject would be broached, but Terrick was taking too many liberties with his position in the pack.

"How do you know that you can even trust her," Celia asked with more jealousy than Cullen would have expected from her. "If she's having these visions is she even human? How much do you really know?" Celia didn't like the way Cullen was referring to Aislinn at all. And from what she had heard about where Aislinn had spent the evening Celia was feeling a strong desire to rip the girl's throat out.

Cullen growled a warning that wasn't wasted on the others who looked as though they may voice an opinion. "I have Aislinn under control. If I feel she's a threat in any way I will deal with it myself Right now we need to find out what this guy, Rafe, is trying to accomplish and keep an eye on the Tairneach. There's no guarantee that there isn't a connection seeing as Jenna appears to be involved with him now. I want a sizable guard placed at the reservation, specifically watching the standing stones. I want someone looking into the buildings that were burned down and find out what books have to do with it. I want someone looking for Jenna. I want any information on strange behavior on the part of anyone in this pack previously, presently, or suspected. Someone let those assholes in and lit the bonfires. I want to know who. And I want someone taking what background information Aislinn has and looking into Rafe. Am I missing anything?" All the while Cullen was talking Keith was diligently taking notes. He knew without it being said that he would be in charge of picking the 'someones' for each task.

Sarah looked at him. "What about Aislinn?"

Cullen glared at her. "What about Aislinn?"

"Should someone look into her?" Sarah said with an incredulous tone. "I mean if she's capable of the things you say she is…"

Cullen eyed Sarah. But decided that until someone other than him said she was okay he wasn't going to hear the end of it. "You're in charge of the women. I'm not worried about Aislinn. But if you'll feel better doing an investigation then be my guest. Let me know if you find anything."

Sarah felt better when he didn't tell her 'no.' But not good enough to stop her from doing a background check. As for the others in the room they all appeared to be happy with the way things were being left.

***

Cullen and Keith were headed to the kitchen. They were often headed for the kitchen. Cullen hadn't eaten all day and his stomach was growling. The meeting had ended with everyone being relatively satisfied with the explanations they were given. But also everyone was uneasy with the situation in general. How do you prepare to deal with a person who appears to be able to make your mind only see what he wants you to see and to make you think what he wants you to think?

When the men entered the kitchen there were a couple girls giggling and speaking conspiratorially in one corner. Cullen smiled at them. It was nice to see something normal around here. The girls blushed and giggled some more. Cullen chuckled and shook his head as he opened the refrigerator door and started fishing for something interesting.

Keith on the other hand headed over to the girls to see what the secret they were sharing was and to cop a feel. He had no shame. The girls smiled at him as they saw him coming. They knew he was harmless. He had a mate. That never stopped him from flirting though.

Cullen had pulled a Rubbermaid container of something that resembled chili out of the fridge. He was sniffing at it and trying to decide how hold it might be when Keith started roaring with laugher. "She didn't!" The girls started giggling again.

Cullen was trying to ignore the conspiracy. He didn't like gossip. He fully accepted that Keith would find out anything important and then let him know if it was necessary. Everyone in the pack loved and trusted Keith like he was a best friend or brother. Cullen threw the container in the microwave and was fishing a fork out of a drawer when the girls took off out of the room and Keith came over to where Cullen was standing at the counter. Cullen could tell from the look on his face that he was dying to share whatever he had just found out. Keith was beaming with amusement. But Cullen was hungry and had had a rough evening. He wasn't interested in playing games. The microwave dinged and Cullen grabbed the container out and then headed for the kitchen table. He sat there eyeing the food and considering calling down to the Taigh-Oèsda for some steak.

Keith sat down across from him and waited until Cullen had put the first spoonful of food in his mouth before blurting it out. "So while we were in the meeting Aislinn got into a brawl with Meredith and forced Meredith's submission." Cullen virtually choked on the mouthful of food and Keith chuckled at his accomplishment. "Oh that's not the end of it. I guess she made a complete fool of Meredith in the process. It wasn't even a close fight."

Cullen wiped the food from his mouth and looked at Keith as though he had grown a second head. Keith grinned from ear to ear. "I take it you didn't know she was capable?"

Cullen cleared his throat. "The closest I ever came to finding out if she could fight was when she told me she had previously beaten up her asshole boss from the bar and once I snuck up on her and she managed to kick me hard enough to knock me backward several feet." Cullen thought about that as he said it.

Keith nodded. "Well from the sounds of things she may very well be alpha bitch material after all." He shrugged and stood up from the table to get something to drink out of the fridge.

***

Rissa and Aislinn were seated on the couch in the games room facing the large screen tv. Shortly after the fight with Meredith Rissa had given Aislinn a tour of the floor, just to get her out of the room with all the whispering and uncertain stares. It didn't take long for Rissa to realize that Aislinn just wasn't like the other women. She didn't see rank as an issue. She was too human in that respect and operated from the 'all men are created equal' point of view. Rissa didn't quite agree but she thought it was nice that Aislinn was so inclined to treat everyone nicely as long as they returned the favor.

They had spent some time in the kitchen since Aislinn hadn't eaten all day. Then they made some popcorn, picked out a movie, and camped out on the large couch to wait for the meeting to be over. Aislinn seemed disinclined to go upstairs to bed without Cullen. She didn't say why but Rissa got the impression that she was almost afraid to go to sleep.

They ended up watching some sappy romance story. It was just getting to the part where the guy finally realized he was in love with the girl and was going after her when Celia came into the room with her eyes on fire. She was accompanied by two of the women who had been with Meredith earlier that evening. Aislinn shook her head and went back to watching her movie. She couldn't believe she was going to have to go through that again.

Rissa leaned over to Aislinn and put her and on her shoulder. "That's Celia. She's ten times worse than Meredith." Aislinn met Rissa's gaze and read the warning in it. Aislinn sighed heavily and tried to continue watching the movie.

Celia studied Aislinn for a moment. Celia was much more contemplative than Meredith. She was a planner. She didn't necessarily intend to get into a fight with the girl. If Aislinn could be put into line with the others then there wouldn't be a problem here. From what Celia could tell she didn't look like much. Her scent was confusing. But from what Cullen had said that wasn't surprising. Celia was trying to size Aislinn up physically when she noticed the mark on Aislinn's shoulder just at her neck.

Celia stormed over to the couch where Aislinn and Rissa were sitting and grabbed the sleeve of Aislinn's shirt, rage flaring in her amber eyes. Rissa jumped out of the way instinctively. Aislinn pulled away from the woman and readjusted her shirt. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Aislinn said as she stood up and backed away from Celia.

Celia looked like she was about to explode. She took a deep breath and let it out. He took her to his room, gave her the key, and marked her, she thought. As she added it all together in her mind it came down to one thing. Cullen had chosen a true mate. If that was what was going on here, then Celia was about to be ousted from her position whether she liked it or not. "Did he mark you," she fumed.

The suggestion started the entire room buzzing with excitement. Cullen had been around a long time and had never seemed inclined to mate with anyone. Jenna had been a political convenience and wasn't inclined to disturb the order of the pack. But if he chose a mate then things were about to turn upside down. The pack was already dividing into the group that was happy for him and the group who was disgusted that he'd pick a non-lycan outsider.

"It's none of your business. If you don't want to end up like Meredith I suggest you leave me alone." The deadly calm in Aislinn's voice was almost enough to make Celia back down. Almost.

***

The last thing Sarah wanted to deal with was contention over pack rank right that instant. She was standing in the great room surrounded by the six women who were going to be directly affected if Sarah decided that Aislinn's fight with Meredith constituted a rank change. She growled with annoyance. "There are more important things to be dealing with right now. As far as I know I have not been told that the girl will be here permanently. I'll need more information before making that kind of decision. But if she's capable and wants to take up the challenge then you know full well how this decision will fall."

Sarah pushed her way past the frustrated women and headed down the hall to find out where Keith and Cullen had gone. She could pretty well guess. It was always the kitchen or Cullen's office. It depended on his mood. And since he had appeared to be in a decent mood, outside of the meeting, she figured the kitchen. She was growling to herself and almost missed the commotion that began emanating from the opposite direction. Sarah stopped and listened. She already knew what it was. Celia had gone looking for Aislinn. Sarah quickened her pace toward the kitchen.

She stormed into the kitchen in a rage that instantaneously started Keith laughing again. Cullen pushed the chili aside and got up, apologizing to his stomach as he did. He was already guessing what Sarah was going to say before she said it. When Cullen heard Celia's name in the same sentence as Aislinn's he stormed through the door of the kitchen and down the hall. If this was what was going to happen on the first night she spent with them he couldn't help but wonder what the future held. It's not like he could take her with him everywhere he went.

As the three lycans entered the doorway they heard Aislinn's deadly warning. Cullen started to head toward the women, but Sarah stopped him. This was a matter of female rank and none of his business technically.

Neither Aislinn nor Celia noticed the addition to their audience. They were too busy staring each other down. Celia growled low in her throat. Aislinn was good enough at sizing people up to know when to hold her ground and when to run and hide. This seemed to be a toss up. Celia wasn't rash like Meredith had been. And she wasn't mouthy. She was just angry. Aislinn watched the woman pace around her, thinking.

Celia's eyes were concentrating on the mark that Cullen had left on Aislinn's shoulder. It wasn't quite deep enough to scar. It would heal. But that didn't change the fact that he had done it in the first place. "How did it happen?" She asked in a dangerous low voice.

secretme
secretme
3,478 Followers