Learning the Rules Ch. 01

Story Info
Novice meets soon to be Teacher.
4.9k words
4.59
52.6k
71

Part 1 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/13/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello All,

Let me start by saying thank you for making the choice to read "Learning the Rules." I hope you enjoy it. Although, there is no sex in this chapter, it introduces the characters. If you take the time to read chapter one, I promise each additional chapter will grow and become more exciting and sexy. Everyone knows a Novice has to start somewhere. Enjoy...and thanks again. P.S. Please don't forget to vote and comment. I would love to hear your feedback.

*****

The Novice meets her Teacher

It had been five years since Alexandra Rose Newman had moved into this large corner office, but she was still impressed every time she looked out the full length wall of windows of her Logan Circle office. Her view of Philadelphia was perfect. She could see the art museum and the boat houses along the river. In the evening, when everything was lit up, it was picture perfect. Alex, as almost everyone called her, checked the weather to see if it was raining. The evening news said to expect rain later this evening. No rain yet, she should be able to sprint home to her apartment and just make it to Ashley's in time.

"Shit, I'm running late. Ashley will kill me if I'm late for her dinner party again." She called for her assistant through the open door of her office. "Meg, are you finished with the changes to the last contract I gave you? And have you sent the new drawings down to William for editing? Also, did you finish those letters regarding the new rehab wing at Children's yet? I want to review everything this weekend before my Monday meetings."

Megan Reilly had been Alex's assistant for the last three years. They worked well together. Both women were perfectionist when it came to their work. Alex wasn't sure about hiring Meg initially, especially since she had only one year experience and that year was spent in a law firm. She wasn't sure how Meg would adapt to working with an architectural firm, but she was impressed with the way the young woman presented herself; she liked her enough during the interview to give her a chance.

Alex quickly found out how lucky she was by taking a chance on the young woman. Meg was priceless as far as Alex was concerned. She was more than her right arm, sometimes she was her memory, her alarm clock, and most importantly her "grey zone." Alex had a habit of seeing things in black and white, right and wrong and never really cared for anything in between.

She remembered back to the one day when Meg defined her "grey zone" theory. After a complete blow out argument with a colleague she was working with on a project, Meg came into the office and closed the door. Alex was still fuming and Meg knew that that was usually not the best time to have any type of discussion with her. Alex was walking back and forth in front of her desk mumbling, cursing and calling her friend and sometimes partner, a complete ass.

Meg took a chance and said, "Alex, you know you don't mean half of what you are saying. You love working with Matt and the two of you are a good team. You complement each other really well. You just need to give in once in a while and compromise. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are not always right." Meg waited for Alex to turn on her and explode with more expletives.

Instead, she took a few deep breaths, rolled her neck around right to left and left to right, something she did quite often when stressed or at a loss for something. Looking Meg directly in the eye, she said, "I suppose you are going to provide me with the reason that you think I am wrong in this situation."

Meg smiled, "I didn't say you were wrong. I just said you are not always right. I heard the whole conversation between you and Matt. I also heard how you turned a simple artistic difference into World War III. No wonder why Matt left in a huff. Am I right or wrong in thinking that your whole argument was about window placement and ceiling heights?"

Rolling her eyes and sitting on her desk front, Alex smiled at Meg and said, "Well, it was more than that, but let's assume that that was the main problem. What would you have done differently to resolve the situation in a better way?"

Meg laughed and said, "Just about anything else could have been a better approach."

Alex's eyes widened and she started to laugh. "Explain, please."

Meg explained to her about the "grey zone." How sometimes it doesn't need to be one way or the other. Sometimes both ways could have certain merits and benefits. You just had to weigh the pros and cons, occasionally compromise, and make the best decision for the client's needs. The impact of the "grey zone," often made the difference between another major argument occurring with a colleague/client versus a somewhat impassioned discussion. For that reason alone, Alex was grateful she had Meg.

Meg was one of the few people Alex would listen to when it came to constructive criticism or simple advice. She liked Meg, they were friends along with the supervisor/worker relationship and so far, Meg had always had her back and had proven her loyalty on more than one occasion. Even if she didn't agree with Alex, she never let anyone criticize her or speak badly of her behind her back. In Alex's book, that was priceless, especially in her business. Like they say, you are only as good as your last design or last success. In Alex's case, she was very good. She was a highly sought after architect and had her choice of firms to work with after the first year when she won "Best New Architect" and had two stories written about her in Philadelphia magazine.

The first article detailed her first year in the city as an architect and spoke of her immediate success and profiled her most recent work for a children's museum. The second was a profile story on her not only as a successful and talented architect, but as a "single" woman in a career still dominated by men. That article followed the "Top 25 Bachelors of Philadelphia." Its placement, in the magazine, made it look like Alex was the Top 1 Bachelorette of Philadelphia.

Alex broke from her stroll down memory lane and called out to Meg. Meg was already popping up from her desk and coming over to the office door before Alex finished her name.

Smiling she said, "Yes, the changes to the contracts are complete and I sent them to your home email. Yes, William had the new drawing by five o'clock and said he would make the changes and have them on your desk first thing Monday morning. No, the letters for the Children's rehab wing are not complete, but I will finish them before I leave and email them to your home for final approval." With a more serious look on her face, she said, "And if I were you I would leave now, because Ashley has called twice today to tell me to make sure you are not late again and I promised her you would not be. So get a move on it, I don't want to be on Ashley's shit list." The two women looked at each other and laughed. "Believe me Alex said, neither do I. It's too hard a list to get off."

"Okay, okay, I'm going now. I just have to shut down my computer and check the changes to Monday's schedule and then I'm out of here."

"Seriously, Alex, I really don't want to be on Ashley's shit list. You know how she carries on and I will have to listen to it and apologize every time she calls here. I'll close down your computer and send the updates to your calendar. I'll also send a Word copy to your home email. If you're going home to change, you better leave now."

"Okay, I'm already gone. You don't see me here and I'm not saying, thank you, you are a doll and I owe you." Grabbing her raincoat and bag, she headed for the door. It took her twenty minutes to get over to her apartment. Taking off her jacket as she got in the door, kicking off her shoes as she headed to her bedroom and practically tearing off her skirt and blouse, Alex decided she could fit in a five minute shower and still make it to Ashley's on time.

Shower complete, make-up and hair given a quick touch up, she heads to her closet. She pulls open both doors to her closet and starts flipping through hanger after hanger of outfits. Thinking to herself, what to wear, what to wear? Not the green dress, I wore that to Ash's birthday party. Not the little black dress, everyone will be wearing black. Ah! I forgot I bought this. This is the one.

She pulls out a midnight blue silk dress and cuts the tags off. Opening her lingerie drawer, she pulls out a royal blue teddy with a built in underwire and matching panties. It's cool out tonight, even though it is only the end of September, so she decides to wear stockings. She gently pulls the black shear silk stocking over her knee and runs her fingers lightly over the lace elastic top that will hold it in place around her mid-thigh. She gently repeats the same careful orchestration on her right leg. All too often she has been in a hurry and put a finger nail through the stocking.

She has expensive taste and when it comes to the articles of clothing that are closest to her skin, she enjoys the feel of some of the finest lingerie. It's the one thing she has no guilt about splurging on for herself. Pulling on her dress, she inspects herself in the mirror. "I look pretty good if I do say so myself." She smiles at her reflection in the mirror. She puts on a pair of simple diamond stud earrings, a platinum chain necklace with a small diamond lock and key that rest just above her breastbone and adds to her ensemble the highest pair of heels she owns. A platinum strappy stiletto with four inch heels.

Hoping she will be able to walk in them, she takes a final once over in the mirror. She exams herself from head to toe. Her auburn brown hair still has a lot of the gold and reddish highlights left in it from the summer sun. Her thick silky locks hang just below her shoulders and her hair has a natural wave and bounce to it. It frames her face perfectly. Her skin still holds the summer tan and the botanical oil she applied after her shower has the lightest floral sent and the oil adds a healthy shine to her skin.

She looks great. Her dress crisscrosses across her breast but has a plunging V neck to it that shows ample cleavage and just enough of her breast to be interesting without being slutty. The dress ends a few inches above her knees and the strappy stilettos make her look like her legs never end. At five feet, nine inches tall, Alex is already a tall woman, but with the heels, she stands just over six feet. Happy with the overall look, she heads to the elevator. Checking her cell phone for the time, she realizes she just might make it to Ashley's in time.

~~~~~~~~

Alex grabs a taxi outside her building and races over to Eighth and Pine Streets. She quickly pays the driver. As she gets out of the taxi, she sees a very tall, very handsome man walking around the corner. She looks him over from head to toe and is not the least embarrassed or ashamed that he is very well aware that she has just checked him out. As he walks closer, he returns the compliment and does the same head to toe review of her. They smile at each other and nod their unspoken approval.

Alex climbs the few stairs to Ashley's trinity home and takes one last glance at the handsome stranger. "Wow, the back is as good as the front." He turns to look at her and smiles, a little amazed that she just said that. She can't believe she said her thought out loud and is slightly taken aback. She shakes her head and admonishes herself, what an idiot.

Ringing the bell and opening the door at the same time, she is immediately greeted by Ashley. Shaking her head from left to right, Ashley responds to her barely late arrival with, "tisk, tisk, tisk Alex. Do you always have to be late? I even called Meg twice today to remind her to make sure you left on time. Really Alex, what excuses will you give tonight? You are always the last to arrive; everyone else is already having drinks."

Before Alex can answer, the front door closes loudly behind her as if the person entering demands immediate attention. To Alex's surprise, the tall, dark and extremely good looking man she just passed on the sidewalk stands right behind her. He has the sexiest smile she has ever seen on a man. A smile that says, "I'm here, now you may start."

Smiling, he winks at Alex while he addresses Ashley. "Sorry Ashley, but it looks like not everyone is here. It appears that I too am late and this time, I'm the last to arrive. You will have to allow this beautiful lady a pass tonight and continue your tirade on me for being late." While looking directly at Alex, in a very seductive manner, he continues, "Something distracted me and I walked right by your house."

While maintaining eye contact with Alex, he smiles and speaks so low that only she is privy to what he says. "You my lovely lady are very distracting and no doubt could get me into much more trouble other than being late." Alex doesn't quite know how to respond, so she just maintains his gaze and shrugs her shoulders as she returns his smile.

He turns his attention to Ashley. "Again, Ashley, I apologize for my tardiness and I accept any punishment you deem fit." Ashley giggles and saunters pass Alex to the man who just entered the door. She giggles again and kisses his cheek. Blushing she reply's, in her best coquettish manner, "Jamie, you never have to apologize to me. You are simply too sexy to apologize. However, about that punishment..." Ashley continues to giggle and introduces the two late arrivals.

"Jamison Montgomery, this is my best friend, the very and always late Ms. Alexandra Newman; Alex this is Jamie Montgomery. He and Stephan grew up together and have been best friends since grade school. He was in England for the last few years, but has finally decided to grace us with his presence once again. Lucky us." With that, she kisses his cheek again and directs them to the adjoining room.

The two arrivals look at each other and smile. He extends his arm for Alex to take so that he can escort her into the next room. Alex accepts his offer and is shaking her head while light laughter comes from her. Jamie isn't sure what she is laughing at; he thinks she is laughing at him for offering to escort her. His face becomes a little stern and his eyes darken. He looks down at the woman on his arm and asks, "Is it so laughable that a gentleman would offer a lady an escort into dinner?"

Alex hears a little disdain in his voice, if not anger. Realizing that he thinks she is laughing at his offer, she quickly tries to correct the situation. She tilts her head up the few inches she needs to in order to look into his eyes. She realizes that he must be six feet six, because even with four inch heels on, she has to look up a few inches just to see his very dark, very expressive eyes. She blushes a little, which is a very rare occurrence for her. She stops laughing and with a gentle smile, she answers him. "No, it is not laughable. Actually, I find it quite gallant and refreshing, not to mention unexpected, but very welcomed."

He looks into her eyes to see if she is mocking him, but she is not. There is only honesty in her eyes. He returns her thinking to himself, what lovely eyes she has. If she only knew how much of her thoughts they express, she would most likely wear dark glasses to prevent the viewer from her minds thoughts and secrets. They are beautiful deep blue eyes that are very expressive and give away each of her thoughts if one looks closely enough. She was very wise in choosing this blue silk dress. It compliments her eyes well. Not to mention every other aspect of her body. As he is thinking this he scans her body once again, from head to toe and takes note of the ever so slight shiver that runs, from head to toe, over her.

The light in the room is much better than was the street lighting. He can better appreciate all of her attributes. He realizes that she has at least three or more shades of color in her auburn hair. He can picture himself wrapping the thick wavy locks around his hand and positioning her head wherever he desires it. A wicked smile crosses his face as he realizes just where he would position her first.

He is surprised at the feeling of excitement that centers in his gut. He feels the tightening in his balls. It has been a while since he felt this excited at a first meeting.

His gaze continues down her long neck, over her collar bone and down to her breasts. They are fairly large breasts and well presented. He would love to lean in and lick the exposed mounds as they stand there exposed and moving up and down with each breath she takes. He wonders just what she would do if he did it. He would love to see her reaction. Besides, it would be her fault for looking so good and giving him such open access.

He can't believe it, but he is actually temped to do it, to simply lean in and have his way with her breast. He swallows and refocuses as he hears her voice interrupt his moment of fantasy. At least for now it is fantasy. But he decides he just may give her the pleasure of making it a reality, at least for one night.

"I was not laughing at you and I'm sorry if that was your impression. I was laughing at my so called, life-long friend Ashley." Alex is annoyed with Ashley's behavior and you can hear it in her voice. "I arrive less than five minutes late and it's treated as a personal affront to her good character. You arrive on my heels and are greeted with giggles, flirtation, and kisses. And she has known me most of her life. I don't get it, what is her problem?"

He decides he is not overly happy with her tone. She is just a little too self-righteous sounding for his liking. He decides to play with her a little, maybe give her a little teasing. Smiling Jamie looks at Alex. "Do you really want to know the answer or was that a rhetorical question?" His voice is quiet, and husky, like he is going to share a secret.

"No, if you know the answer, please, enlighten me."

He decides he is right. He doesn't like her self-righteous tone or her response. He knows what he would like to do to her to curb that mouth of hers. He makes a promise to himself that he will do just that when the time arises. One way or another, he will teach Ms. Newman how to restrain her tongue, or at least control it. He will also need to teach her how he wishes her to respond to him, in more ways than one. Lessons he is more than willing to teach.

Quietly, he bends his head to her ear. He whispers, "Are you sure you want to know? It may shock you." He is so close to her that she can feel his warm breath across her neck and smell the wintergreen mint he must have had just before coming in the door. She thinks, God, this man smells great, looks great, and must be too good to be true. Alex takes a deep breath as the chill goes through her body from his breath tickling across her neck. Beyond the wintergreen smell is a deeper scent. She tries to think of just what it reminds her of, but she is lost in the moment of silence as she thinks about how good he looks and smells. She has never had this kind of response to someone, especially not a stranger.

He breaks the silence when he whispers, "When I ask you a question, I expect an answer. It really is impolite to leave a question unanswered Ms. Newman."

Alex startles and looks up at him. He is still smiling, but it doesn't reach his eyes like earlier and there is no humor in it. She realizes he is serious. This man is very serious. Without even realizing it, she stands up straighter, her shoulders pull back, her nipples harden and she feels alive. More alert and alive than she has felt in a long time. She is startled by the electrically tingles that shoot through her body and all seem to aim for her sex.

12