Lesser Gods Ch. 10-13

Story Info
Zoe refuses her destiny.
8.2k words
4.74
9k
9

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/03/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CatBrown
CatBrown
310 Followers

I hope you are enjoying my story. This installment continues to build plot, with some mildly erotic elements, but nothing hard-core. The next section will begin to see that kind of development.

*******

Ten

There were two additional people at dinner that night: a very young man by the name of Jason, and a woman of indeterminate age named Giselle.

"Jason is Giselle's son," Grey continued his introductions, "and since he was born the offspring of two higher beings, he has shown some level of powers since puberty. Giselle is one of the matriarchs of our family. I thought they might both present interesting challenges to the practice of your gift, Zoe."

"It's very nice to meet you both," Zoe said, shaking hands with both of them. Jason leered at her, while Giselle smiled coolly. They both made Zoe nervous. Worse yet, Enrique wasn't present at dinner, needing to leave briefly to take care of something back at his home.

"I don't know why I didn't think to ask before, Grey, but how does everyone get here and leave? I never see any vehicles," Zoe asked curiously.

"Most of them I transport, using my ability to go anywhere just by wishing it," he answered, "Some you will meet, like Giselle here, have that same ability."

"You just wish to be somewhere, and you're there!" Zoe exclaimed, "You're going to have to show me that!"

"I'd be delighted," he said, "but let's have dinner first, shall we?"

They all sat and were served by the Haskins. Jason continued to look at Zoe like she was on the menu, while his mother ignored her and spoke only to Grey through the entire meal. They spoke of people she didn't know, and events she was not a part of, so she ate in silence.

When the dishes were cleared and a plate of petite fours was placed before them, Grey turned to Zoe and said, "How about trying to read Jason, now?"

Zoe was startled at suddenly being addressed, and answered, "Ummm, sure."

She focused on Jason, who literal licked his lips like a hungry wolf. She began to get images that were indecent, if indistinct. Suddenly the image was crystal clear.

Zoe jumped to her feet and shouted, "That is NOT going to happen!"

Grey touched her hand and she felt a calming wave.

"It's ok, Zoe. Jason is able to plant images in people's minds," he said, motioning for her to sit down. "I want you to try to see past what he is transmitting and get to the real vision."

She didn't want to even look at the little pervert, but she knew it was part of her training, so she looked back at Jason. The images came fast, and she had to make quite an effort not to let them get to her. She tried to see past what he was sending into her mind, but every time she thought she was getting through, he'd send another one, each seeming to be raunchier than the last. Finally she was able to see an image of Jason leaning on a sports car, smoking a cigarette, and a pair of young men walking up to him and saying something she couldn't quite hear. Jason jumped in the car...and the image disintegrated into another of his fantasies.

Zoe shook her head, then asked, "Do you drive a red Mustang?"

"Yeah," was all he said but he looked furious.

"Good," said Grey, "you got through! That's wonderful! Now try Giselle."

Zoe turned to look at Giselle. Was it her imagination, or did a fleeting look of fear cross the older woman's face? She dismissed it and tried to see into Giselle's future.

Whereas looking at Jason had unleashed a barrage of images, looking at Giselle was like looking into a black hole. Zoe felt as if she was being pulled into a nothingness that was completely overwhelming. She found herself panting for breath.

"That's all right, Zoe," said Grey, "I didn't think you would be able to see anything. Giselle is...higher ranking, I suppose is the best description, so it is unlikely you will ever be able to read her without her permission, but it is important to try these things. Some of the most gifted seers of the past could read anyone, regardless of rank, but only after years of practice. It would be amazing beyond words if you were able to do it already."

Zoe felt like she'd been played. These two were a set-up for failure. Why did Grey do that to her?

Giselle stood and said, "It's been a pleasure Greyson, but we need to get back now. Enjoy your new toy and I will speak to you soon."

With that she reached over for her son's hand and they disappeared. Zoe jumped, and then laughed at herself.

"I hope you don't feel I've been unfair," Grey started, "but I have good reasons for the things I do, I assure you."

She had forgotten he could tell what she was feeling. Damn him.

"But you aren't going to tell me what those reasons are, are you?" Zoe retorted.

"No, at this time I'm not going to tell you, but someday I will," he answered

"You know it isn't fair that you can read my emotions, get impressions of what I'm thinking, but I can't read anything about you," Zoe said, feeling put-out.

"Would you like to read me again? I will allow it, if that is what you really want."

Suddenly Zoe was unsure. Did she want to know what Grey's future held, now that Enrique had entered the picture? Did Grey know that she had asked Enrique to back off a little? Did Enrique know anything about the visions of her and Grey?

"I haven't said anything to Enrique, if that is what you are worried about," said Grey, "and he mentioned that you were feeling a little overwhelmed, so he was giving you space."

Damn if this man couldn't hit the nail on the head every time! "I thought you said you weren't going to read my mind anymore?" Zoe asked accusingly.

"I don't need to read your mind. Your thoughts show clearly on your face. That is something you will have to work on if you want to be a good reader," he said gently. "So do you want to read me now?"

"No, I don't think so. I'm feeling overwhelmed, and reading you would only make that worse," Zoe answered honestly.

Grey stood and put his hand out to her. She accepted his hand and stood as well. He looked deeply into her eyes. She started to feel faint and realized she wasn't breathing. She took a ragged breath, breaking the spell. He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed her palm. Chills ran down her spine and she felt a stirring deep in her abdomen. She blinked and realized they were standing outside the door to her room.

"How...?" she stammered.

"I told you I would show you how I transport," he answered. "I also promised myself I wouldn't come between you and Enrique, but I'm not sure I can keep that one," he hesitated and she thought he might lean forward and kiss her. Instead he squeezed her hand and disappeared as suddenly as Giselle and Jason had. She was left standing in front of her door feeling more confused than ever.

  Eleven

Journal of a lesser god

I am ashamed of my behavior, yet I want nothing so much as to repeat it... and more! She is such an exceptional woman. Her powers grow at an amazing rate, yet she is dissatisfied with her development. She takes no credit for any of her gifts, including her beauty, which she is entirely oblivious to. I could feel her jealousy of Genevieve, thinking her striking, and completely unaware that her own beauty is far deeper, and far more charming than G's!

She actually fought her way through Jason's mind games to see a legitimate vision of his future. I'm sure that ticked him off! She could not read Giselle, but I expect her to be able to before the year is out.

I offered to let her read me again, but she declined. I wish she had. I am sure of what she would see, but she is not ready. At least she has backed off from Enrique. Perhaps she is more interested than I perceive, or maybe she is just not ready for anyone yet. I will endeavor to remain patient.

*****

Zoe paced her room. Grey's actions, and her response to them, had her anxious and unable to sleep. She jumped when there came a light rapping at her door. She opened it expecting to find Grey, but Enrique was standing there looking sheepish.

"I hope I didn't wake you. I just wanted to ask how dinner went and to say goodnight," he said quietly, as if someone was sleeping nearby.

Zoe responded, "Dinner went ok. I'm just glad I don't have to dine with them all the time."

"They are something, aren't they? Giselle hates the half-humans, and her son is just creepy," Enrique said with a shiver.

"Agreed. Why does Giselle hate half-humans?"

"Superiority complex," he answered easily, "she's a third or fourth generation god like Grey, but she thinks that makes her special, whereas Grey just thinks it makes him responsible. You know the type."

"Yeah, I suppose. I'm glad you're back. Did you take care of whatever it was back home?"

"It wasn't that big a deal, but Grey wanted it done tonight, so it's done. I'm sorry I couldn't be there at dinner for the moral support," he said, sounding genuinely sorry.

"No problem," she answered, "I'm still in one piece, so no harm done. I am tired though, so I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

As she started to close her door she noticed the disappointment on his face. She almost relented, but then decided it wasn't her responsibility how these men felt. He said "goodnight" as the door clicked shut, and she leaned against it wishing she could just go back to her old, dull life.

*****

The nightmare woke her again. Heart racing, she reached for the light. Apparently she was still on course to meet this stranger, even though she was learning how to use her gift. He felt even closer this time, like she was barely staying ahead of him, running as hard as she could. A faint knock came at her door and she hesitated, thinking if she stayed quiet, whoever it was would go away, but the knock repeated, so she pulled her covers up over her nightgown and said, "Come in," just over a whisper.

Grey entered slowly, closing the door behind him. He took a few steps toward her and stopped. He spoke quietly, "I sensed your sudden alarm and came to check on you. Was it another nightmare?"

"The same one," she answered, scooting back so she was leaning against the headboard. "You could sense that from clear across the house?"

"I seem to be particularly attuned to you," he said, almost shyly, "not to mention your fear was as strong as a scream."

Embarrassed yet again, Zoe replied, "I'm sorry. I hope I didn't disturb you." Then she noticed he was still dressed in his suit he'd worn to dinner. "Don't you ever sleep?"

"Not often, and not for very long," he answered with a shrug. "It's been a few hundred years since I last slept a full night."

"Really? Why don't you sleep?" Zoe asked, distracted from her nightmare by this strange behavior.

"None of the old gods sleep much. We don't know why, but it does allow us to keep working," Grey answered, coming closer, "may I sit?" he asked, motioning toward the foot of her bed.

Zoe nodded, still puzzling over the no sleep thing. Grey sat down half facing her. With her bedside lamp illuminating his face, his eyes again held her mesmerized. He didn't break the contact, but simply stared at her. It should have felt creepy or embarrassing to gaze so long at someone, but it didn't. It felt calming, and exciting at the same time. Her heart started beating an irregular pattern, and the tingling started along her spine.

She whispered, "Are you doing that?"

But he didn't answer. Instead he moved up the bed and lifted a hand, hesitated, then stroked down her cheek with the backs of his fingers. Everywhere his skin made contact started to tingle, too. Without conscious thought she moved into his hand, which cupped her cheek, then moved around her head, into her hair, and exerted gentle pressure moving her face in closer as he leaned forward and just barely touched his lips to hers.

Her mind exploded in images, so fast, so brief she could hardly make out any of them. It was only a split second and they were gone, and she was left with a yearning to know this man, to understand him, to be close to him. She leaned into him, kissing him firmly, and he responded in kind. Her mind was a whirl of emotions and thoughts. Then a clear image of Enrique presented itself and Zoe pulled away. What was she doing?

"No, I can't be doing this. I don't know what's happening to me," she started, confused, "I...I think I need to leave. Yes," she said firmly, "Yes, I need to leave here. You mess with my head and I can't think straight. I don't know who I am, what I want, anymore."

Hands at his side, he moved back slightly, "I'm sorry, Zoe. I didn't mean for that to happen, truly. I came here to offer to calm your mind, give you enough peace to fall back asleep. That's all. I never should have touched you. I am sorry. Please don't leave." He sounded sincere, pleading, "I fear for your safety if you leave."

"I fear for my sanity if I stay. No," she went on, "I can't stay here. I'm going to go back home and try to sort out this mess."

"Will you allow me to send some protection with you," Grey asked, "Enrique...or someone else, it's up to you. I just don't want you to be alone, not with your powers developing so fast. You will be an easy target for the enemy." He sounded concerned, even scared, which scared Zoe.

"Yeah, ok, you can send someone. Not Enrique. I need to get clear of you both," Zoe responded.

"Good. Now will you stay the remainder of the night and get some sleep? The offer to calm you still stands," Grey asked, standing.

"Umm, I don't know. I suppose..." she answered, laying back .

Grey reached out and Zoe pulled back a little. He hesitated and his eyes said, "Trust me." She relaxed and his hand rested lightly on her forehead. She felt peace and calm sweep through her, then a need to sleep took her over. She thought she heard Grey say, "Sleep, my love." But she couldn't be sure it wasn't a dream.

Twelve

Journal of a lesser god

Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid! I have driven her away by moving too fast, without thought, without attention to her feelings. She is leaving, going back to her old home. Now she will be in grave danger, and all I can do is send someone with her to watch over her. I will spend all of my time worrying about her, and my duties will suffer, all because I couldn't wait. Foolish, stupid man!

*****

She awoke late, as she always did after Grey helped her sleep. She showered and dressed slowly, feeling a distinct dread of seeing anyone in this house this morning. After packing her bags again, she headed out the door and down the stairs. Enrique saw her from the dining room and rushed out, looking concerned.

"You're not leaving, are you? We only just got started! You'll get better. Don't give up!" his words tumbled out as he reached her side, holding both her arms and looking into her face.

"I'm sorry, Enrique, but I'm going home. It's not the readings, it's...it's a lot of things, and I need to go get my head together," Zoe said, irrationally irritated at Grey for not telling Enrique she was leaving.

"Then I'll come with you. Grey will let me, and you need protection. I'll get my things," he said and started for the stairs.

Zoe reached out and took his arm, stopping him. "No, Enrique. Grey is going to assign someone else to babysit me. I don't even understand why you are both so sure I need protection. I'm just a girl. So I can see a little bit of the future? Who cares?" She was getting more irritable by the moment.

"You're the most powerful seer to come along in centuries! All you need is time and practice!" Enrique almost yelled it in his excitement.

"I would have to agree with the man," came a strange voice from behind her.

Swinging around, Zoe faced a man who appeared to be about thirty, just under six feet tall, thin, and wearing the most expensive suit she had ever been in the same room with. His shoes cost more than her last car, granted it was a piece of crap, but still.

She automatically did a quick read on him, seeing him talking to Grey in a room she had never seen. They both looked far too serious.

"My apologies. I am Lloyd," he continued, "I was called to have you practice your reading on me, but it seems you have other plans."

"Yes. I'm going home. I'm sorry you wasted your time to come here," Zoe explained, and hoped that would be the end of it. Vain hope!

"If that is truly your intention, I hope you will reconsider," Lloyd spoke as he walked toward her and held out his hand. "It would be terribly dangerous for you to live as a human right now. The enemy will feel your power and seek to control you." He held on to her hand with both of his, not releasing it in the normal time.

She felt a dizziness, and her vision faded. She thought she was going to pass out, and she became aware of someone trying to manipulate her mind. She internally yelled "Stop!" and her vision cleared.

"That's not cool! I don't appreciate people entering my mind without permission!" She snarled, yanking her hand away.

"Impressive! Grey told me you were developing at an incredible rate, but I had to see for myself," Lloyd, seeming to taking no offense at her behavior, was smiling at her.

"Well, isn't that nice for you?" Zoe said sarcastically. "Stay out of my head in the future."

"Of course. I can't do anything there anyway," he said, looking at her like she was an oddity, "you are able to resist, which is no small feat."

"Grey can't alter my memories, either," Zoe said defensively.

"Ah, but my dear, I'm ten times, nay a hundred times stronger than Grey at mind manipulation. If you can resist me, you can resist anyone!"

"You're really full of yourself aren't you," Zoe said, disgusted. "It's nice to know I can't be mind-warped by the best." She turned and started up the stairs, then changed her mind and headed back down and into the dining room. If she didn't get some coffee in her soon someone was going to die, and it would be a messy death.

Enrique followed her. "Please reconsider staying, Zoe. I don't want you to get hurt, or worse. It's safe here." He waited for a response, but she continued with her intention to feed her caffeine addiction. He grabbed her arm, "Please, Zoe!"

"I'm leaving. I'm sorry you will worry, but I can't think here. I just want to go back to my old life," she said as evenly as she could.

"It's me, isn't it? I overstepped the boundaries and you need to get away from me," he continued to plead, "I'll leave. I won't come back unless you call for me. Please, Zoe, stay here!"

She was beginning to feel guilty for putting him through this, but only felt it would hurt him more if she told him the truth. "It's not you, Enrique. I just can't cope with all of the changes. I need to take a step back and make some decisions, away from all the confusion I feel here." She almost said 'when Grey is around', but stopped herself. Enrique didn't need to know she was attracted to another man, a man he loved and respected.

"Then let me come. I'll give you your space, I promise. I'd just feel better knowing you were safe."

"No. You can call me, text me, but you can't come with me," she said with as much determination as she could muster. "Now I'm going to find Grey and go home."

She strode out of the dining room and up the stairs. Enrique stood where he was, looking after her sadly. Lloyd was nowhere to be seen. When she got to the top of the stairs, she turned right and headed down the hallway that had been locked the last time she was looking for Grey. She had no idea which room was which, so she just knocked on the first door she came to.

It opened and Lloyd said, "And here she is, looking even less hospitable. Enjoy, Grey. I'll be on my way." And he disappeared.

Trying not to let the disappearing man bother her, she said, "I'm ready to go. Please take me home, now."

"Zoe," he started.

CatBrown
CatBrown
310 Followers