Life Isn't Always Fair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,709 Followers

"So how long have you been married?"

She looked down at the table before answering me. "We were married a month ago. Yes, I got pregnant. I was on the pill but I caught the flu and stopped taking them while I was sick. He came to Ohio the following week. I guess I hadn't taken the pills long enough according to the doctor.

"I was scared, but mom and dad said they would help me out. I'm their only child and I knew I had hurt them. They expected better from me and I let them down." She had a tear in her eye as she spoke.

"The next time Derek came to town, my dad had a talk with him. Derek asked me to marry him then. I don't know if dad bribed him or what," she said with a slight smile.

"I don't think anyone would need a bribe to marry someone as pretty and nice as you." I smiled at her but in my heart I knew I meant it.

"Thank you, kind sir," she said to me. "Anyway, last month we went to Las Vegas and got married. We're staying at mom and dads right now. Next week we'll be moving into our own place."

Derek and Elaine danced quite a while before coming back to the table. He was flirting with her, and I could tell by Elaine's actions that she was taking it all in. Elaine is a good looking woman, I'll admit that. You can't take that from her, but her personality was on and off. Sometimes she was nice and other times she acted like a bitch.

"Guess what Derek told me?" Elaine asked. "He's moving into our sub-division, just around the corner from us. I invited them over next week when Derek is in town. I thought maybe you could get one of your dad's trucks and help move Sarah's stuff."

"Do you live in the Fairview addition?" asked Sarah.

"As a matter of fact, we do. If you need some help moving your things, I'll be glad to help."

Mom and dad overheard what Elaine said. I knew they wouldn't mind helping Sarah and Derek, but I felt they should have been asked properly.

Dad smiled. "Sarah, just let us know when and we'll see you get moved. We just need a couple of days notice to get the truck emptied. My, you sure turned out to be a beautiful woman. I remember when you were the little red-haired girl playing dolls with Sherry. Boy, you two sure grew up quick."

I got a quick glare from Elaine. She asked me to dance. I guess that was the first she found out that I had been friends with Sarah.

"Why didn't you tell me you knew Sarah? Was she one of your old girlfriends that your parents liked?"

"Elaine, I didn't see any reason to mention it. After all, she was Sherry's friend, not mine. And no, I never dated her. In fact, yesterday was the first time I saw her in about ten years."

Elaine was getting on my nerves. I hadn't done anything wrong, yet here I was defending myself. Every time she heard about a woman I dated, she questioned me. I never asked her about any of her old flames. In fact, I didn't want to know about them.

When we got back to the table, she asked Derek to dance. I guess it was her way of getting back at me for something I never did. Derek jumped at the chance. I could see that Sarah wasn't overly happy about it but she let it go.

I didn't like the way Elaine was acting but I didn't want to make a scene at Sherry's wedding. She and Derek must have danced through four songs or more. I talked with Sarah and my parents. They asked Sarah about her wedding.

"Well, not much to tell. We just went to Las Vegas, got married, stayed a few days and came back home. Derek had to work the following day."

"What about Derek's family? Did they attend your wedding?" asked mom.

"No, Derek's an orphan. He said he grew up in one foster home after another. He doesn't have any family that I know of. It really made me feel sorry for him. But now he has a wife and a child on the way. I just wished he didn't have to travel so much."

"How often does he travel?" asked dad.

"He's gone around four days a week. It really gets kind of lonely. At least mom and dad have been there. I'm not sure how it will be after we move."

"Whenever you get lonely, just stop by," I said as I smiled at her. "You'll be right around the corner."

I looked over at dad and wondered if he could see through me. I was hoping I wasn't wearing my feelings on my sleeve. This was a no win situation for me.

After Elaine and I went home, we argued again about me not telling her I knew Sarah. Then she started telling me what a wonderful person Derek was, how he was a good dancer and had such an outgoing personality. She pissed me off when she said she wished that I was more like him.

"Elaine, there's nothing holding you here. You're free to leave and find a guy just like Derek any time you want." I was so pissed that I just got up and went to bed. I was asleep by the time Elaine joined me.

We went through our daily life. I was tired of eating out all the time, and decided that I was going to cook at home more often. Most nights I got home before Elaine and fixed something for dinner. I had cooked for myself ever since I returned home from the service and enjoyed it.

About twice a week Elaine would call, saying she was going out with the girls. I really had to wonder if she was being honest with me. The days that Elaine wasn't going to be there I went out with the guys or to the gym. I hung out at one of the sports bars not far from the condo, having a few beers and watching whatever was on the big screen TV.

One Saturday I told Elaine I was going over to the bar to watch a game. I went home a little earlier than usual. Elaine had a towel wrapped around her when she walked out of the bathroom. She looked surprised that I was home already. She told me that Derek had stopped by to ask if I could get a truck and help move some of Sarah's stuff the next day.

The first thing that crossed my mind was did they do anything? Why the shower in the middle of the day? I didn't care much for Derek and I didn't really trust Elaine. Ignoring Elaine, I called over to Sarah's parent's house. Sarah answered the phone, so I told her I would be over the next morning and help move her things to the condo.

She said she had a lot of clothes, boxes of odds and ends, and her bedroom set. When I asked her what Derek had, she told me he had already taken his personal items to the condo. He didn't have much since he had lived in a small furnished apartment before.

"Jim, we want to take you and Elaine out for dinner as a thank you for helping," Sarah said.

"You don't have to do that," I replied.

"It's the least we can do."

I borrowed a small truck from dad and had my friend Bill help me, as well as Derek. Everything was moved in just a few hours. We put the furniture wherever Sarah wanted it, too. All the boxes were marked which room to put them in. She was a very organized person, kind of like me.

"I'll start sorting and unpacking everything tomorrow. Since Derek will be gone, I'll have the time to do it."

"You can't do any heavy lifting," I said. "If you need something moved and Derek isn't here, just give me a call."

Bill took the truck back to the shop and I went to pick Elaine up to meet Sarah and Derek at the restaurant. Derek told us more about his job and bragged about being one of the top salesmen for the company.

"I'm proud of you Derek, but I do wish you could be home more," said Sarah.

"It's my job and I love it. You knew before we got married that I would be on the road half the time. I'm working to make a home for us. Someday I'll get promoted and will be able to travel less. Right now we need all the money we can get with the baby on the way."

"Derek, money isn't a big problem. My parents offered to help us out if we need it."

"I don't want your parent's money. I can support my own family," Derek said in an angry voice.

"I'm sorry, honey. I didn't mean to make you angry," Sarah replied.

After his small rant, Derek began talking with Elaine. She laughed at most everything he said. I think Sarah felt a bit uneasy but kept her cool.

I began to think about what Bill had said about women. 'If you're willing to share them, then you're not in love with them. It's just the sex holding you together.'

I watched Elaine and Derek talking and flirting with each other. Then I looked over at sweet Sarah smiling at me. I thought to myself that I would swap Elaine for Sarah in a heartbeat. The only problem was I wouldn't want to give Sarah back.

After leaving the restaurant, I told Elaine I was getting sick and tired of her flirting with other men.

"You don't own me! I can act any way I want, with whomever I want. You're getting to be such a bore."

"I know you're cheating on me. There's no use trying to deny it because I have proof."

I didn't have shit, but deep down I felt she had been cheating on me for a while. She just stared at me.

"What? You had me followed? I can't believe you would do such a thing. You really are a bastard. So, what happens now?"

I couldn't believe she didn't even try and deny it.

"I want your ass out. The law says you have to be given thirty days notice even though you never contributed anything but your ass to this relationship. You can sleep in the spare room till you find a place. Maybe you can move in with one of those girlfriends you're always going out with."

"Stupid bastard, you aren't half the lover that my boyfriends are."

There was the truth. She had been with more than one guy since we got together. Then I wondered if Derek was one of them. I couldn't say too much more because I had no idea who any of the men were.

I guess on one side my pride was hurt, but on the other I had known this wouldn't last much longer. The next day at work, I told Sherry. Apparently she had heard about Elaine cheating, and that was one of the reasons she disliked her so much. Sherry hadn't told me because she didn't have any proof.

Over the next week, Elaine was never home when I got there. Some of her things were missing, so I figured she had found another place to stay. I didn't contact her; it was good not to see her. I was putting in longer hours just to stay away.

We shared a condo but that was about it. Whatever she bought and paid for out of her money was always spent on herself. I paid the rent and all the utilities. As far as my finances and credit cards were concerned, she didn't have access to any of it so I wasn't worried about it.

About two weeks passed before I realized some of my things were missing. Kitchen items like the toaster and coffee pot, and linens. By then pretty much all her stuff was out of the apartment. I was pissed because that meant I had to go and replace all those things, and I wasn't the best shopper. That evening I called Elaine.

"I'm going to change the locks. I wanted to break up in a nice way but it didn't happen."

"Moving out is the best thing I ever did. I never should have moved in with you in the first place," she yelled.

I thought about yelling back but knew it would be useless.

"Have a nice life," I said and hung up.

I figured she took every thing she could get in her car. Good thing she didn't own a truck or I'd probably have to buy a whole house full of furniture.

After grabbing a beer, I went outside to sit on the porch. That's when I saw she had taken my porch chair too. So I sat on the step and tried to figure what to do next. When I looked up, I saw Sarah walking up the street. She had the biggest smile on her face when she saw me.

"Hi Jim, long time no see." She became serious for a moment. "I heard about Elaine from Sherry. Sorry things didn't work out for you."

"Elaine took a lot of my things, including the porch chairs. You're welcome to sit if you like. What brings you this way anyway?" I asked as I scooted over.

"The doctor said I needed to exercise more and suggested walking. I have been walking every day but you haven't been home."

"Sarah, is Derek away right now?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact he is. Heck, he's gone all the time. I really hate it but not much I can do about it. Why do you ask?"

"Would I be too forward if I asked you to go shopping with me? Elaine cleaned me out pretty good, so I need to replace several things. I don't even have a coffee pot now."

"I'd be happy to go with you. Would you mind if we went inside so I can get an idea of what you might need. Besides, I need to use your restroom," she said, looking a little embarrassed.

"That makes sense to me. And the restroom is down the hall on the left," I said, opening the door for her.

She walked past me and sort of waddled down the hall. When she came back into the kitchen, I was leaning against the counter.

"We can get some of the things you need right now, and maybe the rest another day," Sarah suggested.

"That sounds good. We'll have to take the pickup since that's all I have."

"All right, let's go," Sarah said, smiling as she went back outside.

I helped her get into the truck, actually pushing on her backside. "Sorry," I said.

She just laughed. "It's okay. I thought it was funny. The extra weight sure changes the way I move. Thanks for helping me."

We had a fun time shopping for essentials like a coffee pot, toaster and a microwave, among other things. I let Sarah choose everything. The checkout people all smiled and asked us when our baby was due.

Sarah told them in about three months. I assumed she didn't want to tell everyone that we weren't married. That would just make people wonder about us. One cashier told us we made a beautiful couple. Sarah smiled and thanked him. Another asked what we were having.

"We're having a daughter and naming her Angel Dawn," said Sarah.

"She let me pick out the name. Well see you again, since we have to start picking out our baby's furniture," I replied, grinning as we left.

Sarah relaxed on the drive back to my condo. I hoped the shopping hadn't worn her out too much.

"Thank you for all the help. This was the first time in my life that I enjoyed shopping."

"I enjoyed it too. Thank you for asking me to go along. By the way, did you mean it when you said you would take me to pick out the baby's furniture? I was planning on going tomorrow and Derek won't be home till Friday."

"You bet I did. I'll call you tomorrow to let you know when we can leave. Maybe we'll catch a bit of dinner while we're out."

"Sounds good," said Sarah as she smiled. "Now it's time for me to waddle on home. See you tomorrow."

The next morning I told Sherry how Elaine took many of my things. Then I mentioned that Sarah had gone shopping with me. I know I was laughing all the time I was talking, telling her how we kidded the cashiers.

"I'm going to help Sarah get baby furniture tonight, and then take her to dinner."

Sherry stared at me and smiled. "You really like Sarah, don't you Jim?"

"Yea, she's sweet and funny and enjoyable to be with. I feel sorry for her too. Derek should be home with his wife."

"Jim, I have something to tell you. Please don't get your shorts in an uproar."

"What the hell do you mean?"

"I never told you while we were growing up that Sarah always said she loved you. I know it was puppy love and all, but I don't think she ever forgot."

"Sherry, she's married and going to have a baby. I don't think she loves me. We're just friends."

"Jim, I love you both. You're my big brother and she's my best friend. I don't want to see either of you get hurt. Please try and understand what I'm saying. She's lonely and I know you care for her. I know you better than any one. I'm just saying..."

"Sis, I understand. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her marriage. Maybe I shouldn't be alone with her too often. You have a point there. Why don't you come shopping with us for the baby furniture tonight? I have to go because we need the pickup for the furniture."

"That sounds good. I'll call Sarah and let her know you invited me along. God, why didn't you two meet a year ago?" Sherry asked.

I knew Sherry was right. I had to keep my distance. I guess my feelings for Sarah were beginning to show, and I couldn't let that happen.

The three of us went shopping, then to dinner. I did my best not to be flirtatious. Back at Sarah's condo we took the furniture in. I did most of the lifting and carrying.

"Sherry, I don't know how I could have made it without you two helping. I love you both so much," said Sarah.

What did she mean by love? Some people toss the word around like it means nothing but to others it has true meaning. How I wanted to say, "I love you too Sarah," but knew better.

Every day that I got home early, I would see Sarah walking. We would sit on the porch and talk. Often she shared her hopes and dreams for the baby. She never mentioned Derek much except about him not being able to come home at certain times. Many times I could tell she thought it was a mistake they got married. She could have raised the baby on her own. Now she was alone most of the time anyway.

Sarah admitted that her parents were giving her money to help pay the bills. They had rented the condo for Sarah and Derek. His credit rating wasn't good enough so Sarah's parents cosigned for it. They only put Sarah's name on the lease because they didn't trust Derek all that much. Sarah or her parents bought most all the furnishings. So far she hadn't told Derek because she knew he would get mad at her for accepting money from her parents. Yet he contributed very little to the family's household.

Since I loved to cook, I invited Sarah over for dinner a couple nights a week. I always asked Sherry and her husband too. I was really trying to do the right thing, to be friends with Sarah, even if it hurt me inside. I wanted her to be part of my life though.

One evening I got a call from Sarah.

"I know this sounds silly, but do you think you could come over and change some light bulbs for me? I don't want to get up on a ladder."

"I'll be right over, Sarah."

When I got there, she looked so sad.

"What's was the matter?"

"I'm supposed to be a newlywed, yet Derek doesn't act like he loves me. I'm just this fat red head with the big belly." She started to cry.

"Easy Sarah, that's not true. You'll be having the baby soon, and things will probably change after that. Maybe Derek can find a job here in town."

I took her in my arms and let her cry. If I had my way, I'd kick Derek's ass clean into next week. Didn't he see the wonderful woman he had? What the hell was wrong with him? God, she felt so good in my arms. I knew I shouldn't be holding her but I didn't want to let her go. I wanted to kiss her and make everything better, but I knew that would be one big mistake.

I let her go and told her if she ever needed to talk, just give me a call. I would always be there for her. I went home feeling sad. I finally found someone I could really care for, and she was married. Worse yet, her husband was an asshole. Damn, damn, damn!

Sherry and I talked the next day.

"You haven't dated since Elaine left. Maybe you should go out and find someone, Jim."

I understood what she was saying. She knew I cared for Sarah and I needed to find someone else.

"Would you mind going out with a couple of my single or divorced girlfriends?" Sherry asked.

"Maybe later, Sherry. Right now I'm trying to get my head on straight."

"Okay, let me know whenever you're ready."

I didn't need to explain, she knew where I was coming from. "Thanks, Sherry."

The following weekend, Sarah and Derek came walking down the street. I said hello to both of them.

"I'm sorry to hear Elaine left. That must be a big change for you, having the place alone. Where did she move to?" Derek asked.

"I have no idea where she went. I think she moved in with a boyfriend or two. If I ever find out who she cheated on me with, I'll probably just beat the shit out of the guy for spite."

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,709 Followers