Life on the Road

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kate and I looked at each other. "What do you reckon? Shall we?" I asked.

"You call that a proposal?" Her eyes and her mouth telling me her answer.

"Kate, will you marry me?" Her arms around my neck and her kiss confirming her answer.

The dinner helped to take our minds off the problems back home. Kate spoke to her father but he knew little more than we did. We told him of our plans and when he could expect to see us.

When bed time came around there was no bullshit about Kate and I sleeping in separate beds, the guest bedroom with its queen-sized bed had been prepared for us. The concerns about her mother meant that we didn't consummate our new status as an official couple, we just held each other and I comforted her through the night.

The next day was hectic. We got the cattle to the saleyards in good time and stood around as they were auctioned off. "Was the trip worth it?" I asked Kate as the last of them went under the hammer.

"The price was better than we expected and yes, the trip was worth it, I got myself a man." She kissed me in front of everyone.

The rest of the day was spent preparing the truck for the trip, servicing it and making sure that it was fuelled up and ready for the three thousand plus kilometres that were ahead of us.

If you didn't appreciate the harsh beauty of the rugged country through which we drove the trip would have been boring, hour after hour of dry, flat country. We appreciated it and the music from the CD player and each other. Our trip was occasionally broken by CB chatter from other trucks and tourists who were tuned to channel 40 but other than that it was just us. Us discussing our future plans, us getting closer to each other and building on our love for each other.

We pulled up to the main house to silence. The silence continued as we walked through its darkened halls and out the back. We eventually found Duncan sitting in the tool shed staring at his hunting rifle. "Dad! What's happened? Where's Todd?"

"Don't know, don't care. Told him to fuck off."

"What happened?"

"Useless pisspot's been spending his time and our money at the casino. Hasn't been to see your mother so I told him that he wouldn't get another cent from me and to fuck off."

"What are you doing with that gun?"

"Deciding whether to finish it. The doctors told me this morning that they didn't get it all and they've given her a month, two tops. I don't know whether I can live without her."

"But Dad, you've got us."

"You've got each other, you don't need me hanging around."

"Duncan, that's not true. Look, this is your life and all we want is to be a part of that life, not take it over. Come up to the house and we'll talk it over. I'm sure that we can come up with a solution."

It was hard work breaking down the barriers of his depression and it was way past midnight before Kate and I crawled into bed. "Thank you Darling." She said before kissing me. "Thank you for taking the time to listen to him and reassure him that you aren't stealing me away from him. He likes you, really likes you. He can see in you the son that he'd been hoping that Todd would be. You've given him hope again."

"I like him too. He's had a hard life but he never once complained about how hard it had been. At first it was all about what life would be like without Helen and then it was the good life that they had here."

"Thank you for suggesting that he should go into Darwin to be with Mum and that we'd look after the place while he's gone. That's taken a weight off his shoulders."

My life on the road had ended and, even though I loved driving road trains and life on the road, this was so much better. I had found my new home, where I belong. There were however downsides.

Helen didn't last a month. She died peacefully in her sleep with Duncan by her side. We went into Darwin for the funeral service. Todd was nowhere to be seen, we looked for him in his usual watering holes and the casino and left messages all over the place, but nothing.

Mum and Dad flew up from Adelaide for the funeral and we all drove out to Wattle Creek to distribute her ashes on the vegetable garden that she had established behind the house. They had arranged to stay for a couple of days and Dad and Duncan spent a lot of time in the tool shed, I don't know what they were talking about but they seemed to have hit it off really well, to the point where Dad invited Duncan to go to Adelaide for a break. To our surprise he accepted and flew back with them.

Todd proved to be something of a problem. We were contacted by the police, it seems that he went berserk in the casino and trashed the place when they refused him any more credit. Kate and I went to see the casino management to find out more about what had happened. Duncan had been to see them and told them that he would no longer cover Todd's losses which had run into thousands of dollars. When he started to run up his losses again he was cut off.

We went to see him in gaol and he was angry. Angry with Kate because she was Duncan's favourite, angry with me because I'd come into her life and he saw me as the influence that had stopped his credit. We paid his fine and told him that, unless he straightened himself out, he was on his own. The last we heard was that his so-called friends had dumped him because he had tapped into them for thousands of dollars and had no way of repaying them. He was living with a prostitute but that wasn't going well. She was barely earning enough to support their drug habits. We tried to help but he told us to fuck off and leave him alone.

Duncan came back from his holiday a much happier man, he and Dad had long talks about depression and how to get over it. Dad told of the period after his accident when he had to come to terms with life as a paraplegic, of not being able to work in the job he loved and not being able to make love to the woman he loved.

The three of us set about working the property. It was hard work, even with the station hands back from their long drive with the rest of the herd. It was harder than I ever thought it would be, but it was rewarding for me. I had the love of a beautiful woman, the respect of her father, and a life that I was enjoying more than I thought possible. It couldn't get much better than this, or could it?

"Darling." I was still inside her, my cock slowly subsiding in her pussy that was filled with my cum.

"This sounds ominous."

"Darling, what do you think of calling our son Duncan William, after our fathers?"