Looking for Compatibility

Story Info
A guy age 30 sets off to find a new life.
13.2k words
4.48
19.5k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

Although only thirty, Charlie Landers felt he was becoming old before his time. Nothing was going right. His latest girlfriend had dropped him and he was unhappy at work. Three months earlier his parents and sister had died in a car crash.

Charlie thought it could only get worse unless he acted to turn his life around. Attempting to get a new life by standing steady meant nothing much was likely to happen. Acting impulsively he sold up and headed east, thinking that was big change although aware he had nothing planned. Well perhaps that was the way to find a new beginning?

It was almost midnight three days later when Charlie pulled into a motel in Flavell, a prosperous and reasonable sized city that looked fine for a couple of days' stopover before he moved on. Actually he was about 1000 miles from his former home city so perhaps this could be the spot, although he thought even a dump could look attractive at night.

He entered the office, stretched and yawned and looked at the woman behind the counter. She was asleep. He looked again and wondered where were her tits?

He hit the bell.

She jumped, almost falling off her chair.

"Christ," she said, yawning.

He thought he liked her.

"A room without fleas please."

She rubbed and eye and said, "You'll be lucky" and grinned.

Charlie thought he really liked her and signed the registered.

"Want something to eat?"

"What?"

"Some people call it food."

He pulled his thumb and forefinger down his nose and she said he looked tired.

He retorted, "You can't be; you've been sleeping."

The woman who looked a little past forty sighed, "Do you want to eat with me or bad-mouth me?"

"Why?"

"Jesus," she snapped and took the keys to unit 12 from the board and tossed them to him. He caught them easily and said pizza would be fine or a big burger.

"I wasn't offering a banquet. Come behind the counter and sit over there. Don't answer the phone and don't allocate rooms. If anyone comes in tell them to wait because if I don't like the look of them I say we are full."

Charlie liked to tease. "So you liked the look of me and have offered to feed me. What else are you thinking of offering?"

"Don't push your luck buster. My husband is asleep through that door. If I yell he comes running with a shotgun."

"With clothes on I would hope?"

"Oh funny man."

He grinned and asked where was his sandwich and coffee.

She sighed and went into side alcove scratching her butt. Minutes later she returned with a coffee pot and two mugs and invited him to help himself.

He asked indignantly where was his sandwich.

She stared and asked would he like the coffee pot rammed down his throat.

He grinned.

She shook her head and said he had too much tease and too much humor to be married and went off. She reappeared with a chicken sandwich for her and a bigger plate with a big piece of bacon and egg pie and two pieces of butter bread for him.

"Thanks," he said, licking his lips.

"That's my husband's 4:00 am snack. He takes over at 1:00. He's becoming fat so that pie is better down you."

"Thanks, my name's Charlie Landers. I'm not from around here."

"That figures. You don't quite talk like us."

As they ate she said, "Thinking of staying here long?"

"If everyone is as friendly as you I may be unable to leave."

She grinned and said her name was Cheryl Pike.

He looked at her. "I bet you nickname at school was Cherry Pie?"

He spotted the scowl and said sorry and she said thanks.

Eventually she broke the silence. "Would you like a date tomorrow?"

"I thought you said you were married?"

She laughed and said she was thinking of her niece Della, who'd returned to the city recently and was looking for a decent guy to date.

"How can you tell I'm a good guy?"

"You sound almost polite, have humor and have a great name."

"I see."

"You see nothing. I have a good instinct about people. Just don't be in too much of a hurry to get into Linda's pants."

"Will they fit me?"

"Jesus," she said, shaking her head.

Banging on the door awoke Charlie. His watch told him it was 8:30.

"Fuck off and make-up some other room," he yelled.

"You cur," she yelled. "Aunt Cheryl said you were polite and nice."

Charlie groaned, thinking he really couldn't afford to turn away a prospective date. He hauled on his pants and opened the door. She was about twenty feet away heading towards the office. Her ass looked great and blonde hair reached midway down her back.

"Hey miss, I'm sorry. How the hell could that guy be dumb enough to dump you?"

She swung round ready to murder him vocally it would appear but toppled over; the high heel of her right shoe she'd pivoted on had snapped into two.

He rushed over and hauled her to her feet, dusted her ass and kissed her. "I'm really sorry. God I really don't know how to handle women," he said bending and picking up the long length of heel.

"Well two apologies within a minute leaves me a little impressed but I don't like men I don't know kissing me and as for touching my ass..."

"I can understand that. I was only dusting. You have a great figure."

The blue eyes studied him carefully. "Are you always this personal to someone you've just met?"

"I was panicking, attempting to get back onside. Cheryl fed me when I arrived at midnight and offered to have you look me over."

"For what purpose do you know?"

"F-for a date. Um an arm's length date I think."

Della continued to eye him. "And what were your thoughts?"

"I must be a gentleman and not disclose them."

She smiled and said her aunt's impression was the guy in Unit 12 was a bit of a character and might interest her.

"For what purpose?"

She grinned. "I'm here early because I leave later to visit my parents. I thought I ought to take you to breakfast. You must understand I'm not this friendly with strangers. It's just Aunt Cheryl is rarely wrong about people. She thinks you are the guy to shake me out of my blues."

Della was wearing cream shorts and a red shirt.

"Are you wearing blue underwear?"

Giggling she said, "Oh I should have expected that. My aunt said you had something that almost passes for humor. Get ready while I change shoes. You mildly interest me but your car really does. That '69 Camaro well represents the all-American car before this country became polluted with foreign imports and our vehicle designers became copyists."

Charlie boggled at her.

"What... oh god, I forgot. Girls are not supposed to know anything intelligent about cars."

"I'm the reverse. I think I could fall in love with you."

She sniffed and walked off.

Della took her time and returned wearing flatter shoes.

"I should have been wearing these in the first place. I just wore the heels thinking you might notice my legs."

"They are lovely. Did you also change your bra?"

Della colored and said yes, she'd changed into blue underwear.

They laughed when he said, "I enjoy impulsive women."

Della drove the Camaro to the Diner.

"This drives well and has been kept beautifully. I'm surprised you use it for everyday driving."

"I don't but sold my house and my near-new Corvette. Granddad bought this baby as new and it passed to me from my dad. I couldn't sell and didn't want it stored so hit the road with it."

"Hit the road?"

Charlie was glad she hadn't asked why had his father handed it down. "I am attempting to find a better future."

"Oooh, I like the sound of that, an adventurer. With all this stuff in the back I'll park where we can keep an eye on this baby."

Charlie loved her for referring to his car affectionately.

"What do you drive?"

"A 1976 VW Beetle."

"Don't sound apologetic. It's right up near the top of worthy foreign imports and the brand is classic. I noticed it parked outside Unit 7."

"Thank you. I'm beginning to think Aunt Cheryl is right, you are a lovely man."

Charlie covered his embarrassment by saying well all he knew was he was hungry.

Charlie parked beside the VW and he and Della sat awkwardly as if not wishing to break close contact.

"Um I could go to breakfast with you in the morning and show you round the city."

"That would be lovely," he said, sounding half switched off.

"Well I must be moving," she said, remaining stationary.

Charlie enthused, "Look go grab your things and let me take you to the ranch. I'd like to spend the day with you."

"Only the day?" Della whispered.

Charlie scratched behind his ear. "Um let's start with the day."

She laughed and said she'd change and grab her things.

"Change? You look great."

"Mom doesn't like me with my breasts up high like this."

Charlie looked at her instead of her breasts and said, "I like them high."

Della flushed. "Well today you get preference over mom. We should take my car; it's more economical."

"I have plenty of money and Baby has been modified to give a softer ride for touring. We must take her to deliver you the joy of cruising."

"I'll miss the urgency of noise behind my back," she giggled, looking across at her rear-engine air-cooled car. Look back at him before closing the door she said, "I love the thought of you calling your car Baby."

"Thanks but granddad named her."

"Oh how sweet. I'm glad you kept that name."

Charlie ducked over to say hi and thanks to Cheryl but found a guy with a prominent beer belly behind the counter clipping his moustache.

"Good morning sir. Is Cheryl about?"

"She was late with the laundry so had to deliver it herself. Are you the guy from Unit 12 who ate my bacon and egg pie last night."

"Yes I arrived to find her in a compassionate mood."

"Asleep more like it. Anyway be kind to my niece. She's had a fall out with her guy and risked going to prison in the way she took revenge."

Charlie returned to his car agog. Christ he was dating a would-be criminal. Was he safe in her company? He thought about the crimes of female axe-murderesses and was drumming his fingers on the wheel when the door open and she climbed in and said, "All set?" and placed her handbag and shopping bag beside her feet.

Charlie wanted to ask what was her unreported crime but reversed the car carefully and then become preoccupied about waving at Cheryl. As she went by in a pickup, grinning, she yelled, "Hi you two."

They both waved and Della said, "Oh I noticed you coming back from reception."

"I just went to say hi but only a guy was there."

"Uncle Stan. He's dour, quite unlike his wife. I suppose he told you I could have been sent to prison."

"Yes."

"Wow you impress me. I expected you to lie. Did he say what I did?"

Charlie's mind presented him a vivid film clip of a swinging axe, shining in the moonlight. "Er forgery?"

Della giggled and said no, nothing so creative. "I decided to total my boyfriend's new Corvette coupe for dumping me but thought if I were caught I could do big time for that. So I made do by slashing the tires. Unfortunately he saw me running away and driving off hurriedly. I'm not a very good criminal."

"Jesus. If I were the judge unless you offered me sex I'd have given you time for doing that. A guy's best friend after his penis is his vehicle."

She giggled and then turned serious. "You can turn back if you don't wish to associate with a wicked woman like me."

"No it's fine. You probably had just cause. Er in your mind."

Della straightened her top, Charlie taking care to keep the car on the road. "I won't automatically have sex with you just because I'm wicked."

"Why would I think otherwise?"

Charlie noticed her breathing rate increase. Did that mean he was as good as in?

They chatted easily and when they stopped for coffee she said, "We have discussed my family but not yours?"

"Yes but I raised it asking how they had handled your situation?"

"That's true. Please don't think I was attempting to pry."

Charlie decided to tell her he had no family.

Della listened to his grim account, sniffed and blew her nose.

"I'm ever so sorry Charlie."

"It's fine. I'm virtually over it but believe I always will feel the gap that has been left in my life."

"I feel like kissing you."

"Go on."

He slowed the vehicle and she leant over and kissed him very sweetly and he got an arm round her and cupped the far breast.

She leaned back a little, still in his grip and said, "It's been so long since I've been in the arms of a good man."

Charlie just smiled, having the sense not to make a quip. This woman was emotionally strung out.

Half an hour later Della said, sounding nervous, "Take the next turn left. The road is unsealed."

"Your voice sounded a little shaky. Are things not going well with your family?"

"Mom and my sister are okay but Jack my brother is abusive and dad is still not happy with me."

It was late morning Saturday so the men were lazing around the house. The two women joined them on to the porch at the sound of an approaching vehicle.

A big yellow dog came bounding up to Charlie and Della yelled "Down Bruno" but Bruno ignored the call and bared his teeth.

Charlie halted and snarled, "Fuck off Bruno."

The dog veered and went up to Della to be greeted.

"You are good with dogs," she giggled, looking across the hood of the car.

A burly guy dressed in torn jeans and a sweaty shirt stepped off the porch and approached Charlie belligerently. "I ought to whack you talking to my dog like that."

"Then why don't you try?"

The guy watched Charlie brace lightly as if adopting a defensive stance and apparently that told him something. He stopped and thrusting his hands in behind his belt, "Hi I'm Jack. Where did my sister pick you up?"

"I'm staying at the motel. Your aunt arranged the introduction but it appears your sister is more interest in my vehicle."

"It's a sixty-niner isn't it?" called Mr Bolt.

"Correct sir. Howdy, I'm Charlie Landers from Colorado."

"You're a long ways from home son. About a thousand miles I should think."

"Correct sir."

"Call me Arnold and this is Hilda and then our youngest Lydia."

"Hi everyone. Della said she was going to visit her folk on a ranch so I suggested I came with her to see something of the county. I've never been this far east before."

"You're welcome son."

"What about Della?"

"She can come in."

"Sir might I suggest a proper welcome for Della. She told me about the incident and on the scale of indictable offences what she did is way down near the bottom."

"Her foolishness cost me five grand. It was forced to pay off that weasel to avoid him reporting Della to the cops."

"Well if you accept your daughter back as family I'll give you that five grand."

The family including Della gawked. She then blurted, "Are you crazy? You barely know me."

"Well I'm a former military investigator and don't like seeing injustices being done. Even worse, I don't want you being without family although your Aunt Cheryl obviously loves you. I'm not letting you being deprived of family."

"Oh god," said Della and burst into tears. Sobbing she said, "Charlie lost his entire family, his parents and his younger sister. They were wiped out in a road crash two years ago."

"Jesus Charlie, I'm sorry about that," Arnold said.

Charlie stood still, not replying.

Jack came up beside Charlie. "Dad I guess this guy knows how a family and especially the father should act. No way are you a bad guy dad; you just possess a foolish stubborn streak."

"Watch your mouth son," growled Arnold, who hitched up his trousers and stepped down and hugged Della and said in a gravelly voice, "Welcome home sweetheart. I think I accept you really did good to that swine. My father would have given him both barrels up the ass."

The other two women were hugging Della, all three crying. In his wisdom as a man of the land Arnold looked up at the sky and said, "Do you guys think it will rain?"

Jack and Charlie looked skywards, pleased to have a diversion.

Over coffee, with Della and her mom into an embrace again, Arnold said, "Our city is short of good businessmen that ranchers can trust. Know anything about ranching?"

"I was born on one and didn't leave it until I went to college. While I was at college my parents sold up and dad purchased a feed and grain business and I worked for him during college breaks."

"Well if you intend setting up here in business I'll introduce you to ranchers, plenty of them."

Charlie said, "Thank you sir."

After a leisurely lunch Charlie drove Della back to the city. The family appeared to have accepted him. Hilda and Lydia kissed him goodbye and the men slapped his back and shook his hand.

"You must come again Charlie, many times," cried Hilda. "You are such good company, never short of a joke or a quip and say nothing offensive. And you darling we want you back here as soon as you are ready to return."

Arnold grinned and said. "For a city slicker Charlie you seem a really good guy. Take care of my daughter; she's only on loan."

"Dad!"

"What Della?"

"Oh nothing."

She engaged in another round of kissing, so obviously pleased to be back in the fold.

Jack called, "Drive slowly to the highway pal; the stones chew through paintwork."

"Will do," Charlie waved to his new friend.

As they drove off Charlie said, "I think your family is fine; they are good people."

"My whole family has taken to you," Della said, smiling at Charlie fondly. "This is so unusual for them to react like that to a stranger. And you turned them around wonderfully for me. It was so touch and go for half a minute until dad hitched up his pants and stepped towards me. I will be very happy if you wish to have sex with me tonight."

Charlie drummed his fingers on the wheel. "I have to tell you something."

"Oh Charlie, you told me you weren't married."

"And that remains the truth. No what I want to say is my offer was not as sensational as you probably thought. It was a gamble. I thought you father was not the type of guy to accept money like that and the offer would rile him, making him think I was ridiculing him in front of the family."

"So you had no intention of handing over $5000?"

"My thinking was I wouldn't necessarily have to hand it over if your father accepted the offer. I would have been left with two choices, one of which was leaving town with my bank roll intact."

"But your ploy worked and you achieved the end result you were after?"

"Correct but you must be very disappointed I was not your White Knight after all?"

They reached the highway in silence and as Charlie turned to head back to the city Della said, "That was a brave gamble."

"Brave?"

"You were brave enough to rely on your instinct like Aunt Cheryl. And I can respect you for that and what you have done for me, including motivating me, makes me feel very grateful."

"Thanks."

Della sighed. "Perhaps I am disappointed you are no White Knight. But at the same time had dad accepted your offer I know I would have been angry with you for being so reckless with your money. Oh and I see no reason for withdrawing my offer of sex in appreciation for what you managed to achieve for me."

Charlie took a minute to reply, not wishing to rush it. "The offer of sex is a wonderful offer. But if we do it I would prefer it happens at a time when we are charged up and snorting for it."

"Snorting for it?" she giggled.

"Show me something. Pull out a breast."

"Okay," she said, beginning to work it free. I don't mind you calling them tits."

"Thanks."

She hauled it free.

"Oh my, what a big nipple."

"Is your erection bigger than my nipple?"

The car served. "Ooops. You best put it way lovely lady and thanks."

"My pleasure. I enjoyed that and have more to show you."

As they neared the city Della said, "What are your plans?"