Lore of the Angels Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers

"Okay..." he sounded resigned. "But don't tell anyone I did this. Promise?"

The three Angels tried to hide their laughter as they took off from the mountain trails into the air. The journey took them less than an hour and what they saw –or did not see rather –surprised them all.

"You live at the bottom of the sea?" asked Zilarrezko, puzzled.

"Oh no! It's covered by Illusion you see?" said Angelo, moving a hand to gently part the 'curtain' to let them all in.

"Wait... is one of your siblings inside the house maintaining this Illusion?" Zilarrezko couldn't believe that minors could be so strong!

"Well... Aria's the one who puts the cloak on for twenty-four hours. Kissa and I just maintain it."

"Cardinal..." whispered Anthony. Zilarrezko caught his eye and was equally loss for words. No one can maintain an Illusion over such a big place like this from a distance –much less across an ocean! It was simply amazing!

Without saying another word, the party of four made their way to the front door. Angelo knocked and waited for someone to open it since he had told Kissa to lock the door the moment he left home.

When the door swung open, a tall and slender young girl greeted them with a nag, "Oh my god Angelo! How long does it take... oh!"

Her eyes –the same black around blue pupils –widened in shock.

Then she slammed the door shut.

"Wow. What a welcome," said Angelo. "Kissa! It's me Angelo. These are my... umm, friends. It's okay."

The three Angels exchanged worried looks.

"I'm really sorry about that," said Angelo. "Kissa doesn't usually meet guys... or angels for that matter. I think she finds you hot." His grin was directed at Marcus.

"And I'm not?" teased Zilarrezko.

"Uh... you and Anthony are too old and scary."

Zilarrezko turned to Anthony who was scowling. "Hear that? You're old."

Anthony rolled his eyes.

"Kissa?" Angelo knocked the door again but no reply. Turning to the Angels, he gave them a soulful look. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. Here, let me." Zilarrezko moved forward and touched the metal doorknob gently. "Kissa, I hope you're not behind the door because I'm going to open it now."

The doorknob turned effortlessly; the wooden door swinging open to reveal Kissa holding a broomstick to defend herself.

"I'm not here to hurt you Kissa," said Zilarrezko gently. "My name is Zilarrezko and this is Anthony and Marcus."

"Oh stop it Kissa!" Angelo tugged the broomstick away from her hand. "Come in and have a seat. I'll go make some tea," he said disappearing down the corridor; leaving the three Angels in the company of a very flustered teenager.

"You're... you're... an angel!" she squeaked.

"Ah well yes I am," he said with a kind smile. "Actually I am an Archangel and these two are my Ordinals."

She ran away with her hands covering her face.

"Did I say something wrong?" asked Zilarrezko.

"I think she didn't hear a thing you said Cardinal," said Marcus in amusement. "She was totally enraptured."

"I had no intention of doing that... these children must be living such sheltered lives if she has never seen another male aside from her siblings." Zilarrezko paused. He had caught someone peeking at them from behind a wall.

He saw the strands of platinum blonde and aquamarine glimmering in the light.

"Umm hello there... you must be Leiha right?"

Soft giggles came from behind the wall. Then another boy peeked at them. This one had dark brown hair with similar blue strands cut in a bowl shape.

A moment later, the twins emerged to walk up to their guests. The boy spoke first.

"Hello." He cocked his head to the left and studied the three tall Angels in front of him as though assessing them. Troy knew who they were –and he was a little scared –but he didn't want to leave Leiha alone with them. She, on the other hand was already fearlessly moving closer towards their guests.

Then looking up shyly, she introduced them. "I'm Leiha and this is Troy. We're twins. Umm... want to see my toys?" She wasn't really expecting an answer for she was already tugging at the Archangel's wings.

She led them into the living room where Zilarrezko was sure a storm had just passed through. Toys and cushion were strewn everywhere and blankets were made into makeshift tents.

It was then that Kissa came out from hiding to tell them that their tea was ready in the kitchen.

"I suppose Aria hasn't gotten back yet?" asked Zilarrezko when they finally sat down in the kitchen.

"I think something's wrong. I just know it. She calls us at least once a week and always tells us when she'll be home," said Angelo.

"She didn't call at all since two days ago?" asked Zilarrezko. That was when she left the Obelisque. Kissa and Angelo shook their heads.

His forehead began to crease with worry. It shouldn't have taken her more than a day to travel from New York to Paris so that she should be home by now. Unless...

Turning to Anthony, Zilarrezko instructed him to call Julia to bring a jet over. He had to seriously consider the possibility that she had been taken captive which mean that he needed to take the children away now. His instincts told him that they were being hunted down and he didn't want to take the chance.

"Kissa, Angelo... I need you both to help me pack whatever clothes and necessities for the four of you. I'm worried that you're in danger and I can't let you stay here all alone."

"But Aria might come home!" protested Kissa. "And... she said never to trust Archangels."

Removing the platinum sheen on his wings, Zilarrezko hoped the dull grey of his feathers would make him less intimidating. "Would you still trust me if I'm not an Archangel?" he asked gently.

Kissa bit her lip and looked to Angelo for support.

Zilarrezko leaned back in his chair. "I will leave now if you ask me to."

"No!" Leiha came out from nowhere and climbed on to his lap. "Please don't go... we don't have anyone to play with."

"Leiha!" Kissa hissed.

"I don't want to hide here anymore. I want Aria..." Troy was climbing up the other thigh.

"I've promised Angelo that the four of you can have free reign in my home. I'll even let you play with Angels. I know someone who would love to keep all of you company."

For the briefest moment, Kissa's gaze shifted to Marcus before returning to Zilarrezko; a blush evident on her cheeks.

"Marcus will spend time with all of you too..."

Zilarrezko caught his eye before he could protest.

"Kissa, go and pack clothes for the twins okay?" urged Angelo. His sister looked like she was about to protest but then Marcus volunteered to help and she went mum; running off to the bedrooms.

"Cardinal..." Anthony interrupted. "It's Julia. She says it's important."

Putting down the twins, Zilarrezko took the phone from Anthony. "Yes Julia."

"Cardinal...Lucian and I just got back but there is a very old lady inside your office right now and she will not leave no matter what I say. She won't give me her name or tell me why she's here."

"What does she look like?"

"Very old... but mortal. I can't actually tell where she's from because her accent is indistinguishable. But her hair's all white, her eyes brownish grey and she's carrying a strange staff."

"Did she ask for me specifically?"

"Yes."

"Tell her I will be there late at night. Let her have a seat first."

"But..."

"I know her."

Julia was silent –possibly in shock –but then she mumbled her acknowledgement and waited for Zilarrezko to disconnect the call.

Turning to his two Ordinals, he tried to smile. "At least Lucian's back. Now they'll have a babysitter."

***

The moment they landed in New York, Zilarrezko left the children in Anthony and Marcus's care while he went to get updates from Lucian and Julia.

"Did you find her?" he asked the moment he saw them.

"We checked the entire territory Cardinal –even using ultraviolet but nothing. I checked for any transactions made under her name and couldn't find anything either.

"But we did find something," said Lucian. "She had a private jet cloaked under Illusion, hidden in the mountainous region upstate."

"She didn't go home..." whispered Zilarrezko. "Someone's taken her."

The two Ordinals looked worried. "What should we do now?" asked Julia.

"Let me speak to my guest first. Both of you can head down to where Anthony and Marcus are. Lucian, I want you to take the children to the spare rooms and settle them in. Julia, let the other two know that I want to see them in an hour."

"Yes Cardinal."

When Lucian and Julia had left, Zilarrezko made his way up to his office. Opening the door, he heard a soft, crackled voice greeting him.

"You have made this old woman wait long Zilarrezko..."

Zilarrezko bowed low as an apology before looking up at the face of an immortal woman trapped within a mortal body. She was frail with wrinkled skin and her hair was completely white, fastened in one long braid. But it was her eyes that called to him –earthy brown with a ring of silver around the irises.

"Gaia."

"Sit down."

He complied, sitting beside her on his long sofa; eyes cast down. Gaia was just slightly older than his mother and the two women had been close friends until her death. Zilarrezko had still managed to see her then but once the Dark Ages began, Gaia became illusive –even more so when she lost her wings. No one knew where she lived or how to find her until she was actually right in front of you.

"Your Ayn is very afraid..." she whispered, cupping his cheek gently in her palm.

"My... Ayn?" Zilarrezko had never heard of that word before.

"Yes... she keeps crying; soaking the soil beneath her." Gaia's voice became softer. "Such strange tears I tell myself... brackish."

Zilarrezko remained patient.

"She's looking for you..."

"Who Gaia?"

"The Ayn..."

"I don't understand... who is the Ayn?"

Gaia took her hand away from his cheek. "I do not know."

"What? Gaia... if this person is in trouble, how can I help her?"

"She's deep beneath the Andes Mountain... cold and dark... sometimes her screams reverberates on the ground... but no one hears her."

Zilarrezko took her palm and gently asked, "Gaia... who is this girl?"

"You know her... I do not."

"Okay... what is an Ayn?"

Gaia shook her head. "Ice... ice is moving. Yuki is moving across earth... I can feel her coming." She closed her eyes and frowned. "More... more coming south from here... east from here... It's so cold...and dark..."

"It's okay, I'm here..." he tried to soothe her; wrapping a wing around her as though sending the chills away.

"You have to find her Zilarrezko..." she whispered.

"The Ayn?"

"Yes..."

"Andes Mountain right?"

Gaia nodded. Zilarrezko patted her hand gently. "Why have you come here Gaia? And how are you getting home?"

A warm smile. "I am home wherever my feet touch ground."

"But you never take part in the Archangel's war Gaia... why now?"

"That girl... she reminds me of me. A cardinal with a mortal heart... her tears are never for herself. Such love..."

Zilarrezko's heart ached at her words. Moving his wing, he went down on his knees in front of her and clasped her hands in his. "Gaia... I want you to stay here at least until I'm back. You do not look well."

"I will not die from mortal diseases... ahh... but this body is not meant to sustain such an immortal life..."

"Ask my Angels for anything you need. But wait for me until I'm back."

Gaia didn't reply but swayed slightly in her seat.

"Gaia... If you can't do this for me, then will you do it for my mother?"

She patted his head and smiled. "Okay..."

***

Julia, Anthony and Marcus were under the cloak of their Archangel's Illusion for Zilarrezko was sure that an uninvited entry into South America would spark an immediate war.

That was not their only problem. The Andes Mountains covered the entire west coast from Venezuela to Chile –a stretch of more than four thousand miles!

However, Zilarrezko decided to start from central Andes –at the border of Peru and Chile for he knew that slightly east of the mountains was Iluna's palace. If she were to hide a prisoner as valuable as Aria, she wouldn't want the prison to be too away from her reach.

"There's a lot of copper beneath the soil," said Zilarrezko the moment they landed.

"Yes... the area's also rich in saltpeter. I can't believe how valuable Archangel Iluna's lands are," said Marcus referring to the metal salts embedded in the ground.

Zilarrezko smiled at the comment. "She doesn't see it that way Marcus but now's not the time to think about that. Can you feel if there is an abnormal construct or something beneath the ground?"

Marcus touched the ground and tried to focus. True, there were a lot of metals but no prison cell...

"I don't feel any manmade cell or anything Cardinal..."

"No, Iluna won't use a cage to hold Aria... it has to be walled by Darkness."

"We need to go inside Cardinal," said Julia. "Only then can I find it.

***

It took them the entire afternoon walking inside caves and flying over the peaks but finally, Julia had sensed an excessive amount of Darkness welled up in the highest peak of the mountain range. At such an altitude, not only was it freezing cold but there were also no pathways. As such they had to remain in mid-air while Anthony tried to create an entrance for them. It took a lot of Fire but he finally managed to melt enough rocks to create a small opening for them to squeeze through.

It was a cavernous aerie of sorts and devoid of any light or warmth. Zilarrezko's heartbeat quickened with fear that he hadn't reached Aria in time. Such conditions might induce hypothermia and he knew she wasn't wearing anything much.

Seeing that Anthony was exhausted, Julia provided light; her entire body glowing like a light bulb as they walked further into the cave.

"There..." she pointed. Light Angels were extremely sensitive to Darkness and vice versa so it wasn't difficult for her to sense Iluna's cell. "I can try to raze it down..." She turned to look at Anthony.

"I can do it," reassured Anthony, going ablaze to take over as Julia focused her Light to slice open part of the Dark wall.

There was not a single soul guarding the prison cell. Iluna must have been confident that no one would ever find Aria and by the looks of it, she had left the Valkyrie to die in her cage of Darkness.

"Damn it's so thick!" Julia grumbled in annoyance. "Cardinal, I can't cut it. But I can create a temporary hole for you to get her out. Two minutes maximum."

Zilarrezko nodded as the Dark cell parted slightly and he dashed in.

He saw her –huddled on the straw, arms wrapped around herself to keep warm –and his heart broke. He slowly lifted her into his arms; her head resting on his shoulder.

"Aria..." he whispered. She looked so pale and her pulse was weak –probably hadn't had anything to eat or drink for the past two days. He pressed a gentle kiss on her lips and saw her eyes slowly opening to look at him.

Those whirlpools of black and blue gazed at him before closing again.

"Let's go home."

***

Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers
12