Lost Angels Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ikay
Ikay
356 Followers

She was dressed entirely on black and the attire made her look even more ungodly than the last time he saw her. He homed in on her like a tomahawk missile locked on target.

" Hi again" he said cheerfully.

She jolted violently and gave him a startled look.

"Do I know you?" she asked, staring at him suspiciously. Once again he shivered deliciously under her stare.

"Yes. At that shocking murder scene yesterday."

"What murder scene? I was never at any murder scene." She continued to walk. Caesar smiled insufferably. She was going to be difficult. No problem. He liked difficult girls.

"Could you help explain what you told me that day?"

"What I told you? Sorry I've never seen you before in my life."

"You asked me whether I wanted to know who was responsible for the killings. I said yes, then you told me that God had sent his angel after them.

" I don't know what you're talking about."

"Are you saying you didn't tell me anything?"

"I'm saying I have no idea who you are and this is a cheap method of starting a conversation with a girl."

Caesar sighed. Okay if she wanted to play the game that way then no problem.

"Yes you're right. How did you know? I just want to talk to you."

" Why?"

"Because you look strange. "

"Strange? How do I look strange?"

Caesar grinned privately to himself. He had played his trump card. Hint at a girl that there was something odd about her and she would not let you go till you told her what.

"Did I say anything?" asked Caesar innocently," Maybe I was trying to make conversation."

" Tell me how I look strange."

" That might cost you."

" What will it cost me?"

" A plate of Sunday rice, cooked by you in your place."

" In other words you want to know my home."

"How did you deduce that? You must be very bright this morning. I'm hungry. I want home cooked rice. Only then will I tell you how you look strange."

" Okay. You win "

" First of all tell me your name."

" My name is Vera."

"Nice name. You can call me Caesar."

Vera's Residence

12:01

Caesar was a bit surprised to find that she lived in a very comfortable two room flat in a respectable part of the town.

"Why don't you make yourself comfortable` while I get you something to eat?"

"Sure."

Caesar chose an easy chair and reclined into it. He spied a paperback on a side stool nearby. He picked it up.

The title was "Passion in the summer" and the cover showed a hunk of a man in a steamy embrace with a sultry lady. Both were on a beach with the barest of bikinis on. Caesar sneered; he turned it to look at the back.

Yep. The story was the same. Miss Blah Blah hated Mr. Blah Blah because he was so arrogant and wanted to take over her business or something. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Miss Blah Blah could not resist Mr. Blah Blah and inevitably ends up in the sack with him. Can a story become more daft?

Vera came back into the room and saw him sneering at the book.

"You don't like the book?" she asked as she put a stool in front of him, "that happens to be my favorite."

"Well it's just that romance novels are so full of stereotyped characters?"

"What do you mean?" she asked polishing the stool with a cloth.

"Without opening the book I can describe to the letter the couples first kiss."

She grinned deliciously as she straightened up. "Go ahead. "

Caesar put on a sour expression and started off.

"...... she brought up her hands against his chest to push him away but instead her hands climbed to the back of his neck to stroke the curly hair that fell almost to the collar. His lips were hard and demanding and even though she resisted at first, she suddenly felt herself give in to his pressure and her lips opened submissively to allow him in. Their tongues seemed to be fighting for breath and she felt herself buckle at the knees. The soft scent of his after shave assailed her nostrils..."

Vera began to laugh. Caesar shook his head.

"See what I mean?"

"You're very funny."

"I'm not funny. That makes me sound like a court jester."

"Sorry. So what do you read, Caesar? I know boys don't touch books."

" I do read. I like crime thrillers a lot."

"Really? Why so?"

" I don't know. I guess all those evil intentions harboring the human mind waiting to explode really gets me going. And the fact that the actual culprit might be the one you would never have thought could commit such a dastardly deed."

She gazed at him strangely.

"You should avoid such books or one day it will manifest for you in real life."

"I've always ran into those kind of people in real life. They may not be murderers or felons but what they are capable of doing you can never match to their faces. A face is like the surface of a pool. It will never tell you how deep it is. But I have a way of gauging that depth."

"Really?" she asked with interest, "How?"

"The eyes. If I am to quote a saying: ' the truth is in their eyes and their eyes don't lie'. So I believe that no matter how someone can hide true emotions in their facial expression, the eyes will always show the truth about that person."

"So what do my eyes tell you?"

"Remember I said there was something strange about you? There it is, your eyes." Immediately she sat next to him and faced him squarely.

"Well, what about them?"

" A lot of people are afraid of you, aren't they?"

"Yes. How did you know that?"

"Many find it hard to look you straight in the eye."

"Why?"

"Because your eyes are strange."

"What is strange about my eyes?"

" It conflicts with your personality"

" Conflicts with my personality? Please explain."

"You seem a reticent person. Introvert even but yet your eyes don't say that."

"So what do my eyes say? "

"Do you like cats?"

Vera stared at him in disbelief.

"What has that got to do with my eyes."

"Just say yes or no."

"Yes."

"Many people hate them bit I feel it's out fear because many don't understand it especially in our country. I remember my auntie could hold any creature in her hands even the slimiest insects but she couldn't touch a cat. Only I could in my entire household. They are very smart creatures, very proud and they are born killers. It would go out in the bush and slaughter a pigeon and come back to the house acting like it can't hurt a fly. Only it's eyes can tell you what it's capable of doing and I know many can't stand their eyes."

"So I have Cat's Eyes?"

"Exactly."

" I really don't know whether to take it as a compliment or not."

"From me it is. Cat's intrigue me that's why I like them. You intrigue me and that's why I like you."

She smiled and at last her eyes smiled with her.

"You know something, Caesar? I think you are the strangest man I've ever met."

"That makes our feelings mutual then."

"May be. But I think it's time I brought you your rice. It's time to complete my end of the bargain."

The meal was excellent and Caesar told her so. She smiled her thanks. After clearing the stool she brought a photo album for him to browse through.

She sat next to him as he opened the album. She explained the people in each picture as he scanned them one by one. Most of them were high school pictures and photos of her in her youth. He picked out one, which had a set of girls standing together in a line, all wearing dormitory uniforms.

"Which school is this anyway?"

"Blessed Mother Girls High School, Kebby Creek. It's for orphans."

"You're an orphan?"

"I never even knew my parents. We... I was found in an abandoned building."

"I see" he said awkwardly.

As he casually scanned each of the faces he suddenly stopped in disbelief.

There was a pretty fair complexioned girl among them who unquestionably was the best looking in the photo.

" You know this girl? " he asked, pointing at the face.

" Yes she was one of my school friends. Every one in that picture was my close friend."

He wondered why she referred to them in past tense but he didn't bother asking why.

" What's her name?" he asked.

" Isabelle. She still lives in this town. I think she's engaged to some oil worker."

Caesar again got that spooky feeling.

" You know her?" she asked.

" Not really. Just see her around."

" Hmm. I see."

Caesar's mobile phone began to burr in his pocket. He yanked it out and switched it on.

"Yes?"

"Mr. Clark?"

"Speaking."

"It's me Ani. The bartender."

"What's up?"

"I think I have what you want. Meet me at the bar in thirty minutes time. Bring the money with you." The line cut.

Caesar thoughtfully returned the phone to his pocket. Vera was gazing at him enquiringly.

"That's Ani, a bartender working in Sandy's bar. He has something for me."

"Ani Assem? I know him. I've met him only a few times, though. Helps me do some errands."

"Speaking of errands what do you do exactly?"

"I'm a hair dresser. I have my own salon not far from here."

"Good for you."

"And what do you do, Caesar?"

"I chase girls with Cat's Eyes."

Sandy's Bar

13:11

Caesar pushed his way through the beaded curtain and looked around. There was no one around. He glanced at the bar and found it empty. Shrugging to himself he chose the table directly under the fan which was in full throttle. An empty bottle of beer and some spent cigarettes littered the table. He eyed them distastefully and wondered where the waitress was. He dropped the bag he was carrying on the floor and sat down to wait.

After leaving Vera's place with a promise to her of a repeat visit he dashed back to Alex's place to collect the counterfeit money. However his nose sniffed trouble in the air.

A full hour passed and Ani did not show up. Caesar felt it was uncanny that the bar was open yet no one was around. He decided it was time to go. As he bent to pick the bag he heard a rustle of beads. He straightened up to see a man come through the curtain into the bar. He was built along the same lines as a battle ship and barely fitted through the door. Caesar was still admiring his structure when six others followed suit, each of them of astronomical proportions. Uh-oh, he thought.

The pack of gorillas walked purposely towards his direction and each grabbed a nearby seat as they came. Turning the backs of the seats to face him they straddled the chairs. They enclosed him in a perfect semi-circle. Caesar felt like a cornered rat.

The first one to enter and also the ugliest of the bunch, which is no mean feat, appeared to be the leader. He began to speak.

"So you are a reporter, huh?"

"What makes you think so?"

"Because you smell like one."

Caesar wanted to tell him that he smelled of half a kilo of weed but changed his mind.

"Must be the shirt. I borrowed it from a journalist."

"I don't like reporters. They never mind their own business."

"Well I'm sure your business isn't worth minding."

"Talking of business what's in your bag?"

"Talking of business, it's my business but if you must know they are personal effects."

"Give it to me."

"Get it yourself.'

The man picked up the bag and unzipping it quickly emptied it on the table. The wads spilled over the place. All the men whistled.

"Now this is a lot of money" commented the leader, "you want to buy the bar with it?"

"I don't think it's worth that much."

The man took a sheaf of notes and began to scrutinize it. Suddenly he stiffened.

"Hold on! These are fake!"

"You're pretty fast" said Caesar admiringly, "Most would take days to find out."

A roar of outrage echoed among the men.

"So you think you're smart, eh?" growled the leader.

"Normally no but considering I'm surrounded by apes then I guess the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind."

"That's it, Punk. Take him!"

The next few seconds dragged into slow motion. While they had been chatting, Caesar's fingers had been caressing the neck of the empty bottle on the table. As the men made to get up he grabbed the neck purposefully and in one deft movement flicked the bottle towards the spinning rotors of the ceiling fan. Simultaneously he ducked down, trying to cover as much of his head and neck with his arms.

The impact was thunderous. The bottle hit the whizzing blades at top speed and exploded like a bomb, disintegrating into a deluge of lethal pieces of flying glass. He was aware of multiple screams around him as the glass sliced mercilessly into any exposed flesh it could find.

He shoved the table violently forward and heard it connect rewardingly with bone. Someone screamed again. Without further ado he bolted for the door. Someone made a blind rush at him. Caesar knew he was blind because blood was running from his eyes. Caesar kicked him viciously in the groin and his would be assailant went down like a felled tree.

Hurdling over writhing, agonized bodies he flew threw the curtain with a clatter of bouncing beads. Before anyone else could realize what was happening he was gone leaving only bleeding bodies and shattered glass in his wake.

Alex's Residence

15:28

After Caesar's encounter with the thugs in Sandy's Bar he decided he had had enough excitement for one afternoon and went straight back to Alex's bungalow. His old friend wasn't around but his fiancée was preparing lunch in her ultra modern kitchen. She offered him chicken and rice and he wolfed it down despite the meal he had had in Vera's place. Anyway the afternoon's episode had made him hungry again. After his lunch he proceeded to chat her up.

" So you are feeling much better now?" Caesar asked casually

" Yes, thank you" replied Isabelle smiling.

" I hope you forgive me for barging in like that."

There's problem. Truth is I don't even remember you coming in that night."

Caesar frowned inwardly. Girls never seemed to remember anything these days. First Vera had denied meeting him before now this.

" Would you like some tea?" she asked.

"Thank you. That will be nice. "

She set about making the tea while Caesar watched her discreetly. She looked very inviting. He wished the Tempter, who was sitting on his shoulder, would go away. She handed him the steaming cup. As he took it, their fingers brushed. He was aware of the transfer of electricity. Damn! He thought. She took a seat near him and began to sip her own cup of tea.

" So where did you do your schooling." He asked conversationally.

" Blessed Mother Girls High School."

" Hmm. That reminds me. I met a lady who went to the same school. Her name is Vera."

He was surprised to see a look of fear enter her eyes and disappear quickly.

" I see" she answered carefully, "what about her?"

" There was a photo of all these girls in her album. You were among them."

" Really? I'm sure I have a copy somewhere in my room."

" Are the two of you still friends?"

" No."

Hmm. Maybe that's why Vera had spoken of her in the past sense.

" I see. Why not? Or is it a personal question"

" It is but I'll tell you anyway. Vera killed her twin sister Venus."

" What?"

" She was a twin. I don't know whether she told you that. Vera is a very evil person and so was her late twin sister. Then they had a heavy disagreement and one night Vera tricked Venus into escorting her to some remote part of the marsh and she murdered her there. The body was eaten by crocodiles before anyone else could get to her. Not a trace of her was found."

"Mary Mother of God."

" Ever since then I and other school friends of her tended to avoid her. I hear she is a prostitute now."

" Oh dear." Though that wasn't what Vera told him. Apparently.

" Let me give you some advice. Run as far away from her as you possibly can.

You have no idea what she is capable of. Her heart is as black as her skin complexion. Haven't you seen her eyes?"

" Remarkable ain't they? "

"They are the eyes of an underworld creature. Personally I don't think she's human. She must be either some reincarnated demon or a mermaid."

" These are serious allegations you are making don't .you think?"

" It's the truth. Stay away from her or you will only have yourself to blame."

" I'll be sure to take your advice."

" Good."

" Er... one more thing. Last night I mistakenly saw a tattoo on your... chest. What is that?"

" High school madness. Nothing else."

" It doesn't mean anything?"

" No."

"Alright then."

Tony's Residence

19:33

Later that evening Caesar went to see Tony at his end. He found the young officer immersed in his photos. He reported to him what had happened in Sandy's Bar.

"So thugs actually tried to kill you in the bar?" Tony asked incredulously.

"I think that was the general idea" Caesar said dryly, "Though maybe they just wanted money. But I'll bet it all had something to do with the killings."

"Hmm. The plot gets thicker," remarked Tony, "But what does Ani have to do with anything? He's just a bartender."

"I have no idea. This whole scenario is becoming more and more complicated with each passing minute."

"You and I should go to the bar and see him. I'd like to wring some answers from him."

"Good idea but I'll bet my left bullock that he won't be around."

Sandy's Bar

19:48

Caesar was right. When they got to the bar he was nowhere in sight. However the waitress gave them his contact address. Caesar suspiciously asked her where she had been all afternoon and she told him that Ani had told her to take a break.

Undisclosed Address, Kebby Creek

20: 10

Ani's contact address was a run down block of flats that had been uninhabited for years. No other dweller within a kilometer radius had ever heard of him.

"I don't believe this" announced a bemused Tony.

"I couldn't agree more" replied a sardonic Caesar, "I'd like to take a look at the murder scene myself later on in the evening. Will that be alright?"

"I suppose so," he replied reluctantly, "But if any cop nabs you don't even mention my name."

"Trust me."

The Marshes

22:09

Taking a torch and his Browning he drove out to the spot in the dead of the night when he least expected anybody else nosing about. When he arrived at the spot it looked like he was at the end of the world. To the east were miles and miles of marshland right to the horizon. He could hardly see anything in the pitch-blackness even with his torch at full beam.

He meticulously began to comb the area, after making a perimeter around the spot in question. After an hour of splurging through mud he came up with nothing. He increased the perimeter and continued to look. Still nothing but just mud and more mud.

He had practically given up hope when he caught a glint of metal in the halo of the beam. Moving closer, he saw it was a can. He drew out a hanky and used it to pick it up. It was a perfume can. He sighed in disgust and was about to toss it over his shoulder when he stopped his pivoting arm.

A perfume can? What it doing so far out have in the marsh? Of course someone must have thrown it away because it felt empty but still he had learnt never to overlook any thing no matter insignificant while investigating a story. He shook it absent-mindedly and squeezed a shot into his palm. He sniffed it.

Suddenly he felt his mind explode like a helium bomb and he found himself flat in the mud with stars twinkling in his eyes which they didn't belong to the night sky. He lay stunned for a while and later managed to drag himself to his feet.

Goodness! He thought, what the hell was that? He went over to where he dropped the perfume can and picked it up. He stared at it in honor. Something really potent was in this can.

When he thought he had finally pulled himself together again he began to search around at random. Thirty minutes later he spied yet another metallic object almost submerged in the mud. He went to fetch it.

Bingo, thought Caesar triumphantly. It was a knife and it was blood stained. It was small in size with a heavy black handle. The blade was as sharp as hell. Caesar smiled broadly. What a find!

Ikay
Ikay
356 Followers