Lost Camera

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gail was tearing up and asked, "Is that the end of the story?"

"Almost. About forty five minutes later the doorbell rings and this gentleman in a suit is standing there holding a package and there is a car in my driveway. He verifies I'm Alex, hands me the package and says have a very fine day then leaves! I close the door and open the package and there is a letter from Elise. It's a heart breaking thing to read I'm here to tell you." I wiped my eyes and continued. "If you want to read it you can but I'm not sure it's a good idea. She explained the car more or less and in the bottom of the envelope were the keys to the new car. I finally went out to load my bags and come down here. I opened the door and there was a new digital camera on the seat. For whatever reason that pushed the last button for me and I lost it. I wasn't in love with her but I cried for over an hour. I had to wait until I could drive. This lady broke my heart with her breaking heart! I don't know what I could have done different but I've got to start reconsidering my priorities here."

"You silly bastard, you're making me cry." I hate the woman for sleeping with you and my heart breaks for her. I really know how she feels! Now are you done telling me?"

"I think that's it Gail yes."

"Good. Now take me to bed. You don't need to make love to me but that's the least you can do. I need you to hug me until I hurt. Alex at some point down the road we have to have a serious talk, you and me after I get home. Speaking of which, soon after I get home you are going to get a surprise."

"Please no more surprises for a while!"

"This one you may even like. I certainly hope so. Now are we going to bed or not?" "Let's go to bed Gail I want to hug my best friend." Gail hit me but wouldn't say why.

We didn't make love. We hugged an awful lot and kissed a little and talked a little, but mostly we were wrapped around each other.

After I'd been there for a few days grandma called me in the room and wanted to talk.

She asked me what I thought of her favorite granddaughter. I tried to be as honest as I could and sang Gail's praises. "Are you two sleeping in separate bedrooms while you're here?"

"Yes."

"Why? You mad at her?"

"Not by a long shot grandma."

"You doing it because of me?"

"Probably but you'd have to ask Gail that one."

"So you'd sleep with her if she was willing?"

"I guess I would yes. You sure ask a lot of questions."

"I have a lot more but I don't want to shock you just yet.

Are you in love with Gail?"

"You know, I don't know. We have been such great friends for so many years I guess that's as far as my mind has ever taken it."

"Interesting. Now go tell Gail I want to talk to her would you?"

"Sure grandma."

Gail went in next and asked, "You need me grandma?"

"More than you know love. Sit down would you?" Gail sat by the bed. "Are you in love with Alex?"

"I think I am yes."

"I thought as much. Do you think he's in love with you?"

"Yes, I kind of think he is but doesn't know it."

"Does he know you love him?"

"I doubt it grandma."

"Interesting. Are you two using the same bedroom here?"

"No grandma we aren't."

"Why is that?"

"Grandma!"

"What, you think I'm going to sell your story to the tabloids? Hell Gail with any luck I'll be dead in another thirty days or less. Sleep with the man. He gets used to having you there he'll start rethinking his priorities."

"You must have been a powerhouse when you were young grandma!"

"I held my own I guess. Would you like to have this house when I'm gone Gail?"

"Grandma that is so sweet of you but I couldn't live in Florida."

"Well of course not. I mean to sell it and use the money to buy you one up north."

"Of course I would, but don't you have your will made out yet?"

"Yes, I was just checking. He's a real handsome guy isn't he?"

"He sure is grandma."

"Does he treat you right?"

"He is wonderful to be around even when he's grumpy."

"Lord Girl, you are in love!"

"I guess I am grandma."

"Good for you. Fight for him if you have to then. Be sneaky and devious if you have to. He already can't get along without you but he just doesn't know it yet.

I'm going to take a nap now. Would you call my lawyer for me? I want to go over something with him before I check out."

"I'll go call now grandma. I'll check in on you in a couple of hours."

Gail and I waited for Hazel then we went out to eat and get a little fresh air then the lawyer was coming by this evening. Grandma was getting tired easier as the days passed so her time with us was getting short.

Chapter Ten

It was only five days later that grandma passed away. She got her wish at last.

Gail was pretty broken up by it even though she knew that was what grandma wanted.

Grandma was cremated and laid to rest and we cleaned her house and got it ready for the real estate agent. The realtor had the key and the contract was ready once things were settled. We went home and waited for all the legal crap to take place. The lawyers earned their enormous fees finally.

Gail was back to work and so was I and things were back to normal. For whatever reason I suddenly flashed back to when I was explaining Elise go Gail, and Gail said I hate her for sleeping with you. Oh hell, do you...no it can't be. Gail is my best friend she can't be in love with me! Another time when I said I wanted to hug my best friend she hit me! Oh shit, now things are getting complicated. I've been talking to Gail about making love to Elise and Jennie and God knows who else and she's been just taking it. Plus coming over for movies or whatever and we would make love and...oh hell I knew I was in so much trouble! I'd pretty much told Jennie we would do something and what if I was wrong about Gail? I could just as easily have it all wrong. Didn't we just drive over a thousand miles together and got along like we always did? I had to be careful. I decided after my next date with Jennie I'd stop seeing her and focus on Gail. Maybe that would help me sort it out. At least I had a plan of sorts now.

As if life wasn't complicated enough, they apparently had leased the apartment next door because the sign was down. God I hoped it wasn't newlyweds staying up all night or something.

I made my last date with Jennie for Saturday and we're doing the pontoon boat again. She had said she wanted to do that again real soon. Well this isn't real soon but at least we're doing it again. I talked to Gail last night and she seemed to be getting along okay.

They were still pissing around with the papers so the house wasn't on the market yet.

Saturday came and we went out on the pontoon boat again. She wanted to go back to the same place for a picnic. I liked that. I brought my new camera too. We headed out into the lake and once again Jennie hadn't put lotion on. Do you think she was faking being dumb? It worked for me though! I put lotion on Jennie everywhere. I even put lotion on her "thumbs" and even where the sun doesn't shine. We both enjoyed that! It was getting late in the season so the boat traffic wasn't quite as bad this time. We cruised up the lake like we did before and had our picnic on the boat. You notice I've not mentioned any dumb statements? There is no point. You have the idea and if this is the last time I'm seeing her it doesn't matter.

This time we skinny dipped for quite a while and both of us enjoyed that. Maybe I'll bring Gail out here. She'd probably like it a lot. I guess I wouldn't mention about Jennie though. Okay yes we made love on the blanket for a while, well, quite a while then headed back for the marina. I was anxious to see the pictures with the new camera and yes I had it with me this time. This camera had sentimental value. I was really going to miss Jennie's body a lot! I had to remember that in a few years that body would fall to her waist or beyond and her common sense wouldn't get any better. That was hard to remember when I was sitting there staring at perfection. I didn't tell her I wasn't going to see her anymore. I thought I'd just let it die on the vine so to speak. If she called me I'd have to tell her then and that wouldn't be easy. I dropped her off, kissed her and patted her ass one more time then I went home to lick my wounds. Maybe a stiff drink would help when I got there.

I pulled in my drive and they were moving furniture in next door. Furniture must look a lot alike because things they were carrying in looked familiar. I went in looking for that drink. I wasn't sad exactly I was, well maybe I was a little sad. I was ending a phase in my life I guess.

I was sitting there bare assed sipping a Benchmark and water and trying not to think when the doorbell rang. I went bare assed and looked through the peep hole and saw Gail, I opened the door and when she came in she saw me and said 'Damn Alex you sure know how to welcome a new neighbor!"

"If the new neighbors want to meet me they'll have to wait or meet me bare assed I guess."

"Another grouchy day is it?"

"Yes. Wait a minute, what did you mean welcome a new neighbor?"

"Pay close attention now Alex and I'll speak very slowly for you. Watch my lips. I'm your new neighbor!"

"Bull shit."'

"I saw you look at my furniture going in, didn't any bells go off?"

"No I was busy talking to myself and focusing on my drinking problem."

"You're so cute when you're in a foul mood. But I'll tear myself away and go NEXT DOOR TO MY HOUSE!"

"You are really moving in next door?"

"My God you are slow today. How many of those have you had?"

"This is my first."

"You better make it your last. You are having trouble focusing!"

"Why are you moving next door?"

"I'll come back later and see if you haven't answered that for yourself. Bye." And she was gone! She sounded a little peeved.

My God Jennie was rubbing off on me. Maybe if I take a hot shower it might not be too late! I took a hot shower not because of Jennie but because of Gail. She was trying to surprise me and she sure succeeded! How do I explain where my mind was and why I felt down? Should I just keep my mouth shut? I liked the last thought for the time being.

I got dressed and dumped my Benchmark down the drain then made coffee. What was it going to be like having Gail next door? It seemed like I was always either calling or seeing her for something or another. She was still my best friend and she was a good lover!

I needed to mend a fence here. I went next door and rang the bell. It took a minute but Gail came to the door and said, "Yes may I help you?"

"Only if you have something that will stop me from being an idiot."

"That's a pretty tall order you know."

"That's putting it mildly. May I come in?"

"Will you behave?"

"I'll be on my best behavior."

"That leaves some room for improvement!"

"Ouch."

"Come in and if I hear one grouchy thing out of you I'm kicking you out!"

"Do you have coffee?"

"Not made no." "I have, would you like some?"

"I believe I would thank you."

"I'll get it." Boy was that cold! I deserved it but I didn't like it. I came back with the pot and Gail stopped to have a cup.

"Can I do anything to help? Like give you a hug?"

"How do you know that would help?"

"It can't hurt I don't believe."

"Okay but watch your hands bub." We hugged a long time.

I finally said, "God it's going to be so great having you so close!"

"Now you say that. It would have saved a lot of grief had you said that in the first place."

"Don't I know that?"

"Just what was your problem anyway?"

"I had made a decision that had to be made and it upset me more that I expected. You had the misfortune of being there at precisely the wrong moment. My mind was not where it needed to be and didn't want to come back I guess. Hell I don't know but the decision is made and the crisis is past and I'm officially welcoming you to the neighborhood."

"Thank you kind sir. Do kisses come in the official welcome?"

I didn't wish to seem eager so I said, "On occasion yes."

"Is this an occasion?"

"I believe it is yes." We kissed and hugged again.

"I think I'm going to like having you around!"

"Actually the real reason I moved here is football season is not far away and you are forever rooting for the wrong team! It's my mission to cure you of that."

"You get upset because my team always wins!"

"You're almost as full of it as the proverbial Christmas goose!"

"I can see my work is cut out for me. More coffee?"

"Yes please."

"So back to what I asked earlier, would you like my help unpacking or moving heavy objects or anything?"

"You could hand me things and I could put them on the shelf and get done faster."

"What if I see you doing something wrong?"

"Depends on how much you like breathing."

"I'm sure you'll do just fine. I'll just hand you things."

It didn't take long to have the kitchen done so we moved on to the bedroom. I handed her things on hangers and she hung them in the closet and so forth. When I picked up a light box and opened it, it was full of her underwear and such. I made a big production of putting my face in them before I handed them to her until she pushed me down on the bed and finished the job herself. I said, "Well I guess my work is done here unless you need pictures hung or dragons slain." I gave her another kiss and a hug and went home.

Chapter Eleven

I went over to Gail's later to see how she was coming and she asked, "Alex, are you really glad I'm here?"

"Gail honey, I couldn't be happier!"

"Do you realize that is the first time you have ever called me honey and seemed to mean it?"

"It can't be!"

"Oh yes it can be!" I hate her for sleeping with you. That went through my mind again. I was fighting it with all I had but the signs were really there. Gail was in love with me. Pretty soon I would have to decide just where the hell I stood or I could lose her. I would die if that happened.

"Gail would you come over and watch a movie with me tonight?"

"Which one?"

"Now don't start that."

"I guess I could pencil you in to my schedule this time. What time?"

"The sooner the better but what ever works for you."

"Let me wash up and I'll be over. I'll bring snacks if you have something cold to drink."

"I have that covered."

"You just keep that covered too!"

"Maybe yes, maybe no!"

"See you in fifteen minutes."

I went home and started looking at the movie guide. My God was it going to be that bad? The choices were gruesome. I called Gail and said, "Why don't you bring your sexiest tiniest things over and I'll take your picture with my new camera."

"Really bad movie choices right?"

"Well yes but I'd still like to take your picture."

"The way you lose cameras? I'd have to be crazy!"

"Being a little crazy can be fun too."

"The next thing you will be wanting Chinese again and eat with little tree parts."

"That worked wonders the last time!"

"I'll be over in a minute. Keep looking."

Gail came over and without tiny under things. We tried to watch a movie but it should have been burned a long time ago. Finally, after being quiet for awhile Gail asked, "Do you still have that letter from Elise?"

"Yes."

"Can I read it?"

"You can but I don't recommend it."

"Why?"

"It would hurt you."

"How can it hurt me?"

"Because she talks of loving me greatly and so forth."

"And why should that hurt me?"

"Because you are in love with me."

"I am not!"

"Look me straight in the eye and tell me you do not love me Gail."

"Why"

"Because you do love me. Can you get close and look me in the eye and you don't?"

"No"

"Because...?"

"Damn you, because I love you okay!"

"It's more than okay Gail. It's wonderful."

"But you don't love me so why is that wonderful?" Gail was crying now.

"Do you know that I don't love you?"

"You haven't told me you love me have you?"

"No I have not. I won't say those words unless I'm absolutely sure I am and that it will never change. Without a doubt you are the most important thing in my life and even the slightest thought that I could lose you sends me in a tail spin. I've never been in love so I'm still learning. Do I love you? I don't know yet. If I don't I'm the biggest fool that has ever been. Do I want you to love me? More than anything in the world. Do I want to love you? Also more than anything in the world. Every time I do something stupid that hurts you I hate myself. You deserve nothing but the very best that the world has to offer."

"Alex, you are so screwed up its unbelievable. But I do love you and I couldn't change that if I wanted to."

"Gail, would you just hold me? We hugged and Gail cried and I got teary eyed.

"Now you know why I don't want you to read the letter."

"I know other women have loved you and probably still do. What concerns me is now and tomorrow. If Elise loves you it just proves she knows a good man when she sees one. But she's not here now. I am and I intend to keep it that way! I love you Alex and I think you love me and don't know it. If not you will. I'll see to that! Grandma says so and she was never wrong about affairs of the heart."

"I'm not going up against grandma. I'm not stupid all the time!"

"We'll see about the last part. Now kiss me."

We kissed and hugged for God knows how long. "Alex do you have any wine?"

"Yes I do. White or red?"

"I don't care. Just bring the bottle. My nerves are so charged up I need a little anesthesia."

"Coming up my sweet."

We drank and relaxed and she read the letter and teared up again. Gail mentioned the Florida house and said, "If it doesn't sell in the next few months let's go down and stay a few days just to get away okay?"

"I like the sounds of that. And if it does sell lets go down and get a room and still get away."

We went back to work and things settled down a lot. We had developed a routine that worked for us. I don't know why we kept two apartments because only one was ever occupied at a time. If I owned the building I'd cut a big doorway between the apartments. We still slept in our own beds at least some of the time but that was becoming less and less common. Every Sunday I'd read the paper and look at the homes for sale section and the plan of the week and so forth. I never said anything and I don't think I was even aware of it half the time. I was in such a state of denial it was unbelievable.

One afternoon several weeks after Gail had moved next to me and I'd just gotten home from work the phone rang. I picked it up and it was Gail on the cell phone and she sounded really rattled. "I just missed getting killed by a drunk Alex. He came up over the sidewalk and missed me by less than a foot! He crashed and is hurt pretty bad. I'm so shook up I can hardly walk!"

"Where are you honey?" "I'm at, oh hell where am I? I'm at Madison and fifth."

"I'm on my way honey. Don't try to walk or drive. I'll get you."

"I'm okay as long as I know you're there Alex. The police want to talk to me right now. I'll call you back when they are done okay?"

"I'm right here honey. I love you!"

"Bye." I really got rattled! I sat down and took a deep breath and thought about what had just happened. I came so close to losing Gail. I couldn't let that happen. Then I realized I had just told her I loved her! The phone rang and I picked it up right away.

"Did you just say you loved me Alex?"

"I believe I did yes."

"This is your last chance to retract it and call it stress."

"I can't retract it honey. It would be a lie. I love you!"

"Why the hell did I have to almost get killed before you could admit it?"