Love and Nothing Less Ch. 01

Story Info
In the midst of heartbreak is he her savior?
2.9k words
4.66
22.2k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

PROLOGUE

During the winter Kaelyn Armstrong met the man of her dreams,
in the spring she was sure it was fate,
in summer she could already see the ring on her finger,
and then came fall...

That led to a rather painful next winter.

Kaelyn imagined the floor opening up and just swallowing her whole, she could only wish for this to happen because obviously it wasn't going to. No matter how much she prayed and pleaded she was stuck in this room with no way out Though she could run out the very tempting double door on the other side of the room, unless she wanted to look like a fool in front of everyone. Once it became apparent she was not going anywhere she squeezed her eyes shut, this time wishing, hoping, and praying, that the happy couple in the middle of the floor with goo-goo eyes all over each other would disappear. That while everyone was looking at them in of shock and looking at her in sympathy a big hole would just consume them. So they could look at each other all lovey dovey somewhere else, preferably somewhere in space, where they would die for lack of oxygen.

The shouts of yes from the little blond's lips and the look of joy on the man's face was agony, pure agony. Kaelyn was sure that the world would end right now, more so she hoped it would, she could only be so lucky if it ended right now. She wanted to be able to smile along like this whole thing wasn't affecting her in the least, like she was happy for Jacob and his little blond whore. Yet she knew everyone would see through that, because for one she was a horrible actress and two, everyone knew that as soon as Little Ms. Blond had come sniffing about Jacob had dropped her like a hot potato.

At first she thought he just wanted to get out a little before he finally came to his senses and proposed to her, but nope, he was proposing just not to her. Jacob had chosen little blond, or Claire as she liked to point out, in her high pitched snooty little voice, when Kaelyn repeatedly said her name wrong. So while Kaelyn had already been humiliated by him leaving she still said yes when he invited him to his parents snooty party. Kaelyn of course went because she was sure he had finally come to his senses and saw that she was the one he wanted, well the joke was obviously on her as he called everyone together dropped on one knee and proposed to Claire. Kaelyn fought an unexpected rush of tears, she was only 20 years old, and she had been sure she had found the man of her dreams. Now all she felt like was some pitied old desperate woman, that couldn't keep a man.

Suddenly Kaelyn had to get out of there her eyes were brimming and she couldn't endure anymore sympathy stares as the couple hugged in kissed in the middle of the room. Already she'd seen two people point in her direction and whisper to each other. There lack of care that she could see them floored Kaelyn and she knew if she stood there one moment longer she would be reduced to a puddle on the floor. She had never thought of herself as a punk, but to stand here would be torture and she needed to go somewhere to have a good cry. She eyed waiters walking in and out of the kitchen door and knew that was her best bet. Unless she wanted to trek across the room to the gold and white marble double doors that led to the exit. Kaelyn immediately crushed that idea and quickly rushed to the kitchen door without trying not to seem too conspicuous, but as soon as she got hold of the handle a large hand was on her shoulder.

"Kaelyn, are you okay?"

She knew that voice, who wouldn't, it was deep and smooth and resonated through her spine, she turned slowly to come face to face with sharp green eyes, Jacobs's brother. His dark reddish auburn hair is brushed from his strong angular face except for one stray lock. The question is shocking, Caleb never asks anything unless he really wants to know the answer, and his usually emotionless green eyes were smoldering at her the way they always do when he's interested in something. She knew this because though she was with Jacob, Caleb always interested her, he was a puzzle and for some reason she always had the urge to solve it.


"I'm okay." is all she can manage and they both knew it was far from the truth.

He never liked her, well of course he was nice enough but he was always giving her weird looks whenever he saw her with Jacob. She knew he didn't think she was good enough for Jacob, she wasn't sure if it was because she was black or wasn't rolling in the money like they were but it didn't matter anymore. Jacob had his rich little blond, and she had a gallon of Ben and Jerry's waiting for her at home.

Caleb looked at the strained expression in her usually soft brown eyes, and her anguished face tugged at his heartstrings. He had always thought his coward of a brother didn't deserve the beautiful Kaelyn and indeed she was beautiful. From her black stilettos going up to her toned chocolate legs and her heart shaped lips, she wasn't skinny or tall like the women him and his brothers usually got paired with. She was a little on the short side, maybe 5'3, and boy did she have some curves on her; she was like a pinup girl all soft and thick in just the right places. Her strapless black dress had a white bow just under her heaving chocolate breast and his mouth watered. Her skin was the most beautiful shade of raw umber, and he couldn't see how his brother could give up this cocoa beauty for the snotty, and stuck-up, female that their mother had pushed on him.

His brother never did have a backbone, but it was just sad that Kaelyn had to get caught up in the mess. He had watched as she stood strong, a fake smile plastered on her face as a group of well wishers crowded around his brother. She was a strong woman, but he knew it would just be a matter of time before she cracked, so he wasn't surprised when she made her way to the door. At first he was going to let her go, but some strange irresistible push made him follow her and stop her as she had her hand wrapped around the kitchen door. It surprised him though when she quickly stepped away from him walking away. On impulse he grabbed her slender wrist and practically yanked her to him.

She glared and pulled back whispering to him in a low but seething voice, "What the hell are you doing?"

Caleb wanted to have an answer but he didn't he had no idea why he pulled her back or why his breath quickened as soon as he touched her wrist.

"Do you want to go outside for some air?"

He was surprised that she almost seemed relieved and she nodded her head, following him as fast as she could on her shorter legs across the room.

Instead of leading her out of the front doors like she thought he grabs a hold of her hand and heads to the balcony overlooking Manhattan. She watches him wearily and he laughs to himself, she had every reason not to trust him after what his brother did to her. He notices her shiver and hands her his suit jacket. Finally clearing his throat and turning to her.

"Look, I'm sorry about my brother what he did was wrong."


She looked at him in shock, "And your apologizing why? The last time I checked it was that coward bastard that left me for that stupid skinny blond whore"

She said this all calmly but her blazing eyes said otherwise, she sniffed and turned her head away from him and his amused smile.

"I don't need your pity." She finally muttered after a long awkward silence.

He nods and sits in one of the chairs on the large balcony, patting the one next to him.

"Sit down."

He says it more like a statement than a question, but she finds herself sitting anyway, pulling his excellent smelling jacket tighter around her.

"Look I really am sorry; about everything you didn't deserve that."

Kaelyn looks at him in confusion, "I don't accept you apology, it's coming from the entirely wrong person, and you shouldn't have to clean up your brothers messes."

"That may be true, but I still don't approve of the way Jacob treated you, and everyone else."

Kaelyn lets out an unladylike snort and glares at him, "Do you mean the gossip, or maybe the out and out lies fromyourmother, or maybe members from your family coming up to me to wish me well since hearing about Jacob leaving me, before I even knew he did!"

Kaelyn's face is blank as she relays this but her voice rises with each word showing her rage. Caleb swallows unaware that the situation was that bad.

"I'm sorry for all of it; it was never my intention..."

Kaelyn's eyes flash as she cuts him off. "Your intention,your intention, and here I was sure it was your brother made his own decisions, or are you admitting that Claire was your choice?"
The way she hisses Claire's name is enough to make a grown man wince but Caleb doesn't move he keeps his voice steady as he looks at her straight on.

"Leaving you for Claire was his choice."

"And yours?" She persists, her breast heaving in her anger.

Caleb knows there is no reason in lying but he is unsure how to get her to understand. He never thought Jacob deserved Kaelyn, so yeah; he did push Claire on him a little, but he knew explaining that now to this scorned woman was not a good idea.
"And mine."

Kaelyn grits her teeth, uncertain why he disapproving of her hurt so much, she bites her lip to stop it from trembling. She was getting close to tears and she tried hard to bite them back. Caleb sat back feeling a bit uncomfortable at seeing her stunning brown eyes so close to tears, he reaches his hand out a little hesitant a cups her small hand in his large one.

"Don't mistake me Kaelyn, I think that you're an amazing woman, my brother never deserved you anyway."

She laughs but it's brittle and hard, "Sure."

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation, "If my brother had decided to marry you I wouldn't of had protested against it."

She looked at him apparent anger in her eyes, "And I'm supposed to believe you? I'm sure you and your mother are more than happy that I'm out the picture, because I'm nothing but a poor black girl huh?"

The hard look he gave her almost took her breath away his green eyes turned darker and he squeezed her hand leaning over in his seat until his face was a mere inch from hers.
"I don't want you ever to think that your race or money defines you in anyway, you are a beautiful, strong woman and any guy that gets you would be the luckiest SOB on in this world."
Just as soon as the moment starts it seems to end as he pulls back his eyes going back to their normal cool light green color.

"He should have had been a man about it, I'm really sorry.'

She cocked her head slightly, but didn't pull her hand out of his, "That apology would be a whole lot better coming from Jacob don't you think."

He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes, "That's true, than I wouldn't have to be here dealing with his mess."

Kaelyn gives him a hard look and quickly pulls her hand from his, Caleb doesn't seem fazed and he continues speaking.

"But my brother isn't here apologizing so it's my job as a Durmhan and the head of my family to apologize when someone in my family, most of the time my brother, acts in a dishonorable manner."

Kaelyn snorts under her breath "Are you done Mr. Durmhan, have you made yourself feel better yet, relieved your guilt?"

His breathing deepens, "You're being extremely difficult Kaelyn."

She quickly sits up throwing her legs over the chair and standing up, of course not without Caleb noticing his eyes lingering on her high heeled legs. His jacket falls back on the chair she was sitting on and her eyes flash dark fire, she speaks with an abruptness that surprises him.

"I accept your apology on behalf of Jacob, thank you."

Her voice wavers a bit but her eyes are steady and hard, looking out of place on her sweet face. There's a quiet dignity in her voice that makes him want to hold her close, and to pull her hand in his again. He knew if he wanted to explore that feeling more, and he did, that chance was lost as soon as his ass of a brother had got a hold of her.

She picked up the purse that he hadn't noticed and began to walk from the patio
"Bye Caleb."

The last thing he sees is one of her striking legs disappearing through the door, yet as he watched her leave he couldn't shake the feeling that he wanted more, more of her words, more of her conversation, more ofher.


She could not sleep, even after getting dumped by Jacob, Kaelyn slept fine; she was always the sort to fall asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. It was her escape from the pain and ache of what he did, helping her through her turmoil. But this night was different; she had been tossing and turning for over an hour and still no sleep. She finally grew impatient and decided to get up and clean a little, as she started to take some dishes out of the dishwasher her mind went straight back to Jacobs brother. She was confused the entire time she was with Jacob he only had bad things to say about his brother. He constantly complained that his brother was stuffy and arrogant; his favorite thing to joke about was the stick that seemed to constantly be up his brother's ass.

Jacob certainly hadn't made him sound very approachable; he even called him "the old man" behind his back, but the Caleb she saw today was anything but some stuffy old man. He seemed like the type of guy that once interested in something would carry it out with a passion, and as much as she didn't want to admit it that turned her on. His eyes, the way he pushed his hair out of his face, and his profound resonating voice all intrigued Kaelyn, which was moot of a point because he would never want anything to do with her. He was rich, gorgeous, and could have any girl he wanted.

Kaelyn saw no point in even thinking about him, he with no doubt wouldn't want his brothers reject and that's exactly what she felt like. Kaelyn knew the only thing to do now was pick herself up and move on. Her mother and father had taught her to be strong and she knew she could make it through this; her father didn't like Jacob anyway. Her thought as usual went back to Caleb and she couldn't believe she stood up to him, she had been a little terrified of him, but she had stood her ground and kept her pride. The only thing she seemed to be able to keep after going through the whole ordeal. Even though he made her feel giddy and she knew that because of him she wasn't going to get any sleep she felt proud of herself. It had been a long time since she felt proud of herself and she had forgotten how good it felt.

Caleb stood at the door of Anne, snow just beginning to fall, there was going to be a storm tonight. Anne was one of the many women Caleb was having sex with, while they weren't in relationship it never seemed to faze Anne or any of the other women he slept with. They just wanted to get close to him thinking that maybe he would shell off some money to them, and he did. Just to keep them happy and off his back, that's all they wanted anyway good sex and a lots of money, and he had plenty of both. He knew that none of them were marriage status even though plenty of them thought he was, but right now he was having fun. He was about to raise his hand and knock on the door of Anne's Terrace House when suddenly he felt no desire to see her. The urge was simply gone, which for Caleb was strange indeed. He turned in the falling snow and descended the steps getting in his 2010 blue metallic Mustang GT and sped off. More than confused and for some reason a bit relieved.