Love Rides a Chestnut Horse Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

James sighed, "I was out riding the fence line when that storm hit. I was worried about her and was trying to get back as quickly as possible. My horse fell going down a hill when a mudslide hit."

Doc nodded as he continued. "He landed on me and we slid most of the way down the hill. I hit my head on a rock."

He shook his head. "Well, that sounds a bit painful son. Mind if I take a look?"

"Have at it, sir." He rolled up his pant leg and the Doc ran his hands up and down it, searching for cracks or shifts in the bone.

A few moments later, he stood. "Well, you'll be pleased to know you're correct. Nothing seems to be broken."

"I didn't think there was. I broke it in the war, so I know what it feels like when it's broken."

He nodded solemnly, "I'm sorry to hear that, son. While we're here, can I check that cut on your head, too?"

"I suppose you'd better, for Belle's sake."

He poked and prodded for a few moments, cleaning out the cut. He pulled back and smiled. "There. It should be ok. I don't even think it'll scar badly."

James laughed a little, "What's one more scar? At least this one's not shaped like a bullet," he smiled.

He nods. "I've got a few myself son. I know what you mean." He sighed, "that girl out there though. That'll be her first. Well, first physical one, anyway – she's got a lot of the other kind."

James sighed, "I know, it kills me. That horse is lucky to be alive."

"Her daddy was always a good friend of mine, though he was a crazy old codger in the end." He laughed, shaking his head.

"She said a horse killed him or something to that effect." James was relieved to finally be talking to someone who could share information with him about the life Isabella had led.

The Doc nodded, "Yes. It was that black stallion she loves so much. She's the only one who can ride him."

"Wait. Beauty killed her dad?

"Well, he tossed him pretty good. Hit a tree before he landed. There was nothing I could do by the time she got him here. She was just a mess. And she didn't take that horse home for a good two weeks." The Doc took in the intent manner in which James was listening to him, determining that this boy really did care for her. "She's a good kid, but she's always had too much placed on her shoulders. I trust a good man like you will see that that stops."

He laughed. "I'm trying my best, sir. But I'll be damned if she's not a hard headed thing."

Doc nodded, "yes, she's a lot like her daddy in that way."

"I told her she just needs to take care of herself and that baby from now on and that I can take care of the farm, "he stated in an exasperated tone.

Doc pat his shoulder. "Doesn't like to be told no, does she?"

James shook his head. "I've learned that fast."

"Well, son if she's let you in this far, I'd say you're golden." The Doc held out his hand for the younger man to shake.

James took it, "thank you, sir."

"We'll be seeing a lot more of each other over the next 9 months, I'd say," the Doc motioned to the door and they began to walk out.

"Yes, sir. We'll have to have you out to the house for dinner some time soon."

Opening the door, the Doc smiled. "I'd like that, son. It's been years since I've been on that ranch."

The two walked out into the waiting room, James still limping just a bit.

"Hi, honey." He smiled as she stood.

Her eyes were wide as she looked up at him. "Everything ok?"

He nodded, pulling her close. "I'm fine, baby. It's just sprained."

"Ok," she sighed. Looking up, she hugged the Doc goodbye and the two headed out the door.

He took her hand as they walked, looking down at her. "Do we need anything from the store?"

She nodded, "probably."

"Ok, what do we need, hon? Oh, by the way, I thought it would be nice to have doc out for dinner some night. Hope that's ok."

"Of course, that would be lovely." She tilted her head, thinking. "Well, you said we were running low on meat. Why don't you go over to the butcher and stock up some? Just tell them to put it on the bill. I'll go in and grab some things here."

He shakes his head. "You come with me. You're staying with me now." He pulled her close and placed a light kiss on her temple.

She looked up at him. "But that'll take twice as long, honey."

"That's fine, we have time."

She sighed, "Well, then we best go to the store first, so the meat doesn't go bad while we're shopping."

He nodded, "It'll be ok, love. Let's go start your new life."

12